A303 Breakfast Stop

A303 Breakfast Stop

Author
Discussion

Yertis

16,223 posts

233 months

Tuesday 19th May 2020
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
There is a transport cafe 5mins off the A303/A36 junction towards Warminster (Hillside cafe) opens from 6am Mon-Fri,good for a fry-up smile
If you'd not recommended this place then I would have done. Good fry-ups and also cool road-trip atmosphere with the trucks etc trundling in and out.


Hammerhead

2,586 posts

221 months

Friday 29th May 2020
quotequote all
Yertis said:
Saleen836 said:
There is a transport cafe 5mins off the A303/A36 junction towards Warminster (Hillside cafe) opens from 6am Mon-Fri,good for a fry-up smile
If you'd not recommended this place then I would have done. Good fry-ups and also cool road-trip atmosphere with the trucks etc trundling in and out.
Third-ed! Great fried bread lick

Isaac Hunt

Original Poster:

12,856 posts

178 months

Saturday 30th May 2020
quotequote all
Hammerhead said:
Yertis said:
Saleen836 said:
There is a transport cafe 5mins off the A303/A36 junction towards Warminster (Hillside cafe) opens from 6am Mon-Fri,good for a fry-up smile
If you'd not recommended this place then I would have done. Good fry-ups and also cool road-trip atmosphere with the trucks etc trundling in and out.
Third-ed! Great fried bread lick
Brilliant. This will be the first on our list. Thanks guys. Just need the lockdown to be lifted so we can get down to Devon.

egor110

14,411 posts

170 months

Saturday 30th May 2020
quotequote all
sgrimshaw said:
Isaac Hunt said:
We will try that for lunch. They don't seem to open early enough for breakfast.

We have been using the Toby Carvery at Ruishton. Nice and cheap, but not exactly quality.
God awful place.

Sounds like you're joining the M5 at J25.

Better option near there:

If "early" 8:00 onwards, go into Taunton, follow signs for the Cricket Ground, big Morrisons just after the Ground on the left. 2 miles or so from M5.

If the Toby is OK, then Morrisons should be perfectly acceptable too.

If a bit later, not sure if it opens at 9:00 or 9:30, then this never disappoints:

http://www.willowbrooknurseryandgardencentre.co.uk...

Literally, 5 mins from J26.

Not cheap, but really nice. Nice enough location for a rest stop too smile
Even better option is come off m5 junc 26 , head back towards taunton and you've got sheppys cider on the right and rumwell farm shop on your left .

Saleen836

8,898 posts

176 months

Saturday 30th May 2020
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
Hammerhead said:
Yertis said:
Saleen836 said:
There is a transport cafe 5mins off the A303/A36 junction towards Warminster (Hillside cafe) opens from 6am Mon-Fri,good for a fry-up smile
If you'd not recommended this place then I would have done. Good fry-ups and also cool road-trip atmosphere with the trucks etc trundling in and out.
Third-ed! Great fried bread lick
Brilliant. This will be the first on our list. Thanks guys. Just need the lockdown to be lifted so we can get down to Devon.
It is really local to me so will keep an eye out for when they re-open thumbup

sgrimshaw

6,846 posts

217 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
egor110 said:
Even better option is come off m5 junc 26 , head back towards taunton and you've got sheppys cider on the right and rumwell farm shop on your left .
Lockdown apart, have you been to Rumwell lately?

Used to be our favourite but no longer.

Prices went up, portions went down.

Sheppys not as good as Willowbrook in my opinion, tried it several times and found the service to be poor and food only "OK".

I now really want a full breakfast...... Cooked by someone else smile


Isaac Hunt

Original Poster:

12,856 posts

178 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
sgrimshaw said:
I now really want a full breakfast...... Cooked by someone else smile
This is going to be one of the first at things I do after lockdown.

We are having a home cooked full English tomorrow.

egor110

14,411 posts

170 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
sgrimshaw said:
egor110 said:
Even better option is come off m5 junc 26 , head back towards taunton and you've got sheppys cider on the right and rumwell farm shop on your left .
Lockdown apart, have you been to Rumwell lately?

Used to be our favourite but no longer.

Prices went up, portions went down.

Sheppys not as good as Willowbrook in my opinion, tried it several times and found the service to be poor and food only "OK".

I now really want a full breakfast...... Cooked by someone else smile
In February I went for breakfast.

Rumwell has never been a pile it high cheap greasy spoon .

If you want some decent take away snacks head over to the farm shop in bishops lydeard.

sgrimshaw

6,846 posts

217 months

Sunday 7th June 2020
quotequote all
egor110 said:
In February I went for breakfast.

Rumwell has never been a pile it high cheap greasy spoon .
Resting on their laurels in my opinion.

As you're local, have you tried Paisleys Farm Shop at Nether Stowey? Good value and excellent food.

Until we were locked down though, our absolute favourite had become The Tea Room in Bath Place (Taunton).

Top quality and generous portion at a fair price.

Yertis

16,223 posts

233 months

Wednesday 29th July 2020
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
It is really local to me so will keep an eye out for when they re-open thumbup
Any news re. Hillside? I'm popping down to Warminster on Sunday in the TR, might drop in if they're open. (Would make the early start more bearable.)

Saleen836

8,898 posts

176 months

Wednesday 29th July 2020
quotequote all
Yertis said:
Saleen836 said:
It is really local to me so will keep an eye out for when they re-open thumbup
Any news re. Hillside? I'm popping down to Warminster on Sunday in the TR, might drop in if they're open. (Would make the early start more bearable.)
Not been that way in a while but will find out, although open or not wont help you as they don't open on a Sunday anyway hehe

Saleen836

8,898 posts

176 months

Thursday 30th July 2020
quotequote all
Still closed from what I read today on the book of face

Yertis

16,223 posts

233 months

Friday 31st July 2020
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
Not been that way in a while but will find out, although open or not wont help you as they don't open on a Sunday anyway hehe
No I thought that just after hit send banghead

My brother has offered me "hummus and salad" as an alternative... frown

Saleen836

8,898 posts

176 months

Friday 31st July 2020
quotequote all
Yertis said:
Saleen836 said:
Not been that way in a while but will find out, although open or not wont help you as they don't open on a Sunday anyway hehe
No I thought that just after hit send banghead

My brother has offered me "hummus and salad" as an alternative... frown
Could always pop in to the cafe in Morrisons

s111dpc

950 posts

196 months

Friday 31st July 2020
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
Still closed from what I read today on the book of face
Yep, drove past this morning and still has the closed sign up.

Yertis

16,223 posts

233 months

Saturday 1st August 2020
quotequote all
When I was going there a lot, which I admit was about 3,000 years ago, they lady who took the orders had put up a little hand-written sign asking people not to smoke on account of her asthma.

Saleen836

8,898 posts

176 months

Thursday 5th November 2020
quotequote all
The cafe has in the last week re-opened for take aways!

Isaac Hunt

Original Poster:

12,856 posts

178 months

Friday 6th November 2020
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
The cafe has in the last week re-opened for take aways!
Good news. However since starting this thread, we have sold our house in Essex. We just need to find one in Wiltshire and hopefully when we are back to normal, the café will become a regular visit.

Saleen836

8,898 posts

176 months

Friday 6th November 2020
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
Saleen836 said:
The cafe has in the last week re-opened for take aways!
Good news. However since starting this thread, we have sold our house in Essex. We just need to find one in Wiltshire and hopefully when we are back to normal, the café will become a regular visit.
Still not narrowed down your search?

What sort of place are you looking for?

Isaac Hunt

Original Poster:

12,856 posts

178 months

Friday 6th November 2020
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
Still not narrowed down your search?

What sort of place are you looking for?
Unfortunately we are being fairly specific on area. We like Pewsey and need parking for four cars (two TVRs plus day cars). We will probably move to the holiday let in Devon and wait for the market to settle.

Budget around £500. We need easy access to a swimming pool for my back issues.