PistonHeads.com Forum

Classics in Queen Square

Classics in Queen Square

Author
Discussion

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Sunday 14th May
quotequote all
NFox said:
Really great turn out today, my video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lrGfIy1G2c

Still getting used to my new camera but I am liking the footage it produces.
An excellent video - I have to say I think you are getting too good at this mate!!

NFox

153 posts

93 months

Monday 15th May
quotequote all
Thanks mate! I am trying to learn something new with each video and up my game where I can. Still a long way to go but it's good fun none the less!

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Saturday 10th June
quotequote all
Well it's that time of the month again!

QS meet is tomorrow morning, forecast is cloudy but dry, windy but warm so sholdl be a good turn out.

Anyone going????

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Wednesday 23rd August
quotequote all
Has anyone been to one of these lately ? I gave up with it a while ago when it got too busy and I got fed up with being blocked in every time. I might start going again over the winter when the numbers may calm down a bit.

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Wednesday 23rd August
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
Has anyone been to one of these lately ? I gave up with it a while ago when it got too busy and I got fed up with being blocked in every time. I might start going again over the winter when the numbers may calm down a bit.
I went to the June one. Packed. Coppers there too. They were ok though as long as you behaved. The biggest problem with it now as I see it is that to get a space you have had to get there earlier and earlier every year. Now you really need to be there by 7.45am (8am latest) or you will struggle to park. Too many 'ordinary' cars that really would be better off in Tesco's car park!

Advertisement

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Wednesday 23rd August
quotequote all
F1 ASBO said:
I went to the June one. Packed. Coppers there too. They were ok though as long as you behaved. The biggest problem with it now as I see it is that to get a space you have had to get there earlier and earlier every year. Now you really need to be there by 7.45am (8am latest) or you will struggle to park. Too many 'ordinary' cars that really would be better off in Tesco's car park!
That was what I found. You get there early to get a space, only for someone to park across the front of you and block you in. Not once did anyone leave a number to call either. Even parking on the road I had people parking so close I had a struggle to get out. My car is nothing wonderful (mildly modded New Beetle cab), but as you say, some of the cars looked like they had just parked up to go shopping ! Failing that, I have a season ticket for the NCP on Prince Street, so I may just take the C30 and park in there like I do every other day !

jkh112

1,946 posts

82 months

Wednesday 23rd August
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
That was what I found. You get there early to get a space, only for someone to park across the front of you and block you in. Not once did anyone leave a number to call either. Even parking on the road I had people parking so close I had a struggle to get out. My car is nothing wonderful (mildly modded New Beetle cab), but as you say, some of the cars looked like they had just parked up to go shopping ! Failing that, I have a season ticket for the NCP on Prince Street, so I may just take the C30 and park in there like I do every other day !
My office building is next to that car park. Most of it overlooks the harbour but my office has a view of the side of the NCP! Give me a wave next time you park up.

phumy

4,238 posts

161 months

Thursday 24th August
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
F1 ASBO said:
I went to the June one. Packed. Coppers there too. They were ok though as long as you behaved. The biggest problem with it now as I see it is that to get a space you have had to get there earlier and earlier every year. Now you really need to be there by 7.45am (8am latest) or you will struggle to park. Too many 'ordinary' cars that really would be better off in Tesco's car park!
That was what I found. You get there early to get a space, only for someone to park across the front of you and block you in. Not once did anyone leave a number to call either. Even parking on the road I had people parking so close I had a struggle to get out. My car is nothing wonderful (mildly modded New Beetle cab), but as you say, some of the cars looked like they had just parked up to go shopping ! Failing that, I have a season ticket for the NCP on Prince Street, so I may just take the C30 and park in there like I do every other day !
And that's half the problem with people who turn up in "standard/normal" cars and take up places for the real classics or modded cars having no where to park so that they cane be seen in the proper glory.

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Thursday 24th August
quotequote all
jkh112 said:
My office building is next to that car park. Most of it overlooks the harbour but my office has a view of the side of the NCP! Give me a wave next time you park up.
Only if you keep an eye on my car for me laugh

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Thursday 24th August
quotequote all
phumy said:
And that's half the problem with people who turn up in "standard/normal" cars and take up places for the real classics or modded cars having no where to park so that they cane be seen in the proper glory.
Last time I went there seemed to be a lot of lease spec cars doing wheelspins.

paul-3wies

1 posts

19 months

Friday 8th September
quotequote all
I believe the guy who ran the original Avenue Drivers Club in Queens Square was going to restart it on a different Sunday as it has been taken over by the Breakfast Club who dont appear have the same requirements of the meeting. Does anyone know if this has happened or is there another monthly meet in the Bristol area for the more discerning car driver?

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Friday 8th September
quotequote all
paul-3wies said:
I believe the guy who ran the original Avenue Drivers Club in Queens Square was going to restart it on a different Sunday as it has been taken over by the Breakfast Club who dont appear have the same requirements of the meeting. Does anyone know if this has happened or is there another monthly meet in the Bristol area for the more discerning car driver?
Not seen anything, but I'd be interested in going to those

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Saturday 9th September
quotequote all
paul-3wies said:
I believe the guy who ran the original Avenue Drivers Club in Queens Square
I have contact with them. I can emailand ask but tbh I would not hold my breath for a reply. To the best of my knowledge there has not been another meet set up (yet), though there were a lot of rumours last year.

If I do hear back I will post here or start a new thread on the South West forum somewhere.

Ex Boy Racer

968 posts

116 months

Friday 15th September
quotequote all
F1 ASBO said:
paul-3wies said:
I believe the guy who ran the original Avenue Drivers Club in Queens Square
I have contact with them. I can emailand ask but tbh I would not hold my breath for a reply. To the best of my knowledge there has not been another meet set up (yet), though there were a lot of rumours last year.

If I do hear back I will post here or start a new thread on the South West forum somewhere.
F1 ASBO - did I see you driving into Yate a few days ago?

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Sunday 17th September
quotequote all
Ex Boy Racer said:
F1 ASBO - did I see you driving into Yate a few days ago?
Quite possibly. I was out for my MOT on Tuesday 12th about 4pm ish. What did the car look like?? biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Sunday 17th September
quotequote all
wink;)
F1 ASBO said:
Quite possibly. I was out for my MOT on Tuesday 12th about 4pm ish. What did the car look like?? biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Proper number plates and mudguards ? wink

Any news on the alternative meet yet ?


Edited by Grahamdub on Sunday 17th September 20:39

Ex Boy Racer

968 posts

116 months

Monday 18th September
quotequote all
F1 ASBO said:
Ex Boy Racer said:
F1 ASBO - did I see you driving into Yate a few days ago?
Quite possibly. I was out for my MOT on Tuesday 12th about 4pm ish. What did the car look like?? biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
It was quite noticeable. I was in the petrol station filling up.

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Monday 18th September
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
Proper number plates and mudguards ? wink

Any news on the alternative meet yet ?


Edited by Grahamdub on Sunday 17th September 20:39
Of course!!! biggrin

As I expected I've not heard back from the Avenue Drivers Club. I even contemplated organising a meet myself but it is a major headache at Queen Square and I'm not yet sure how we could monitor it to just allow the 'type' of vehicles we want to be there. It's not that I'm against any one style of vehicle, it's more that the current event has outgrown the Square and it would be a smart move to maybe divide it into two separate meets in my view. Explaining and getting people to agree to only attend the one suitable to their particular type of vehicle is another thing entirely though!

If I ever did start another meet (theoretically) I'd be aiming for some kind of Classics, Kits and Exotica type event. Kit cars and track cars are my main area of interest, classics would have to be defined somehow (good luck with that one!) and exotica too most likely. The current event has pretty much become a free for all with almost any car at all being in attendance and there is nowt wrong with that but as I said, there are now simply too many cars there and the only way to do another meet without it in effect just becoming the same meet repeated twice a month instead is to somehow define what is welcome and try and control what is not.

A someone said to me recently, 'you can see a lot of the cars at the current Queen Square meet in pretty much any supermarket car park on a Saturday night!!'

When you add in the fact that the Square is a public space and as far as I know stopping vehicles entering would be an offence I think the whole thing would become very difficult to manage effectively. The obvious answer is another venue on private land so you have the right to control entry I guess. Places like that are few and far between.

Any thoughts anyone???

F1 ASBO

418 posts

43 months

Monday 18th September
quotequote all
Ex Boy Racer said:
It was quite noticeable. I was in the petrol station filling up.
Aha, that must have been either the Esso on Sation Road then or the one at Yate shopping centre? I think they are the only two I drove past. Oh, I did also go by the Shell on Westerleigh Road.

Grahamdub

445 posts

67 months

Monday 18th September
quotequote all
My car is neither a classic, kit or exotica, but I don't like the "boy racer" element of the current Queen Square meet, so would happily go to a more select meet, even if I parked up the road instead. I'm quite happy walking round with my dog, eating a bacon roll and looking at the cars. Location, if not QS, would a friendly pub I guess or the usual Downs / Ashton Court type suggestions. Restricting what type of cars attend could be a task though.