Classics in Queen Square

Classics in Queen Square

Author
Discussion

LordBretSinclair

4,083 posts

145 months

Thursday 15th February 2018
quotequote all
CaptainSensib1e said:
After attending last time I did think to myself it would have been a better meet if there was a ban on FWD cars less than 15 years old.
Queens Square is a public highway - you can't ban anyone smile

anonymous-user

22 months

Thursday 15th February 2018
quotequote all
LordBretSinclair said:
Queens Square is a public highway - you can't ban anyone smile
It's Bristol. Give it time and it will be pedestrianised !

egor110

14,439 posts

171 months

Thursday 15th February 2018
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
LordBretSinclair said:
Queens Square is a public highway - you can't ban anyone smile
It's Bristol. Give it time and it will be pedestrianised !
Well there isn't much road in queens sq so shouldn't take too long .

jkh112

14,750 posts

126 months

Friday 16th February 2018
quotequote all
We used to have a lot more road in the square:



CanoeSniffer

825 posts

55 months

Friday 16th February 2018
quotequote all
In case anyone hasn't seen it, Dan- who informally organises QSBC- has suggested themed meets with the first being a pre-1985 to get the classics into the Square. This'll roll onto other criteria such as American cars only, modified cars only, supercars etc..

Sounds like a fab idea to me and exactly what a lot of people have been asking for. Of course there's no way to stop people entering the Square so whether it achieves the intended result or not depends on the attitude of people owning cars outside the chosen criteria.

Expect a Sunday morning dedicated to plastic British stuff soon.. As the idea was touted to him by the owners of these three when he made his Aston feature smile




jkh112

14,750 posts

126 months

Friday 16th February 2018
quotequote all
Doesn’t sound fab to me. So I should only turn up when there are cars there which fit the same criteria as mine?
There are already local American car meets etc. It is the diversity of cars which makes Queens Square so popular.

Master Bean

1,875 posts

88 months

Friday 16th February 2018
quotequote all
jkh112 said:
Doesn’t sound fab to me. So I should only turn up when there are cars there which fit the same criteria as mine?
There are already local American car meets etc. It is the diversity of cars which makes Queens Square so popular.
You can park elsewhere and then walk to the square.

egor110

14,439 posts

171 months

Friday 16th February 2018
quotequote all
Master Bean said:
jkh112 said:
Doesn’t sound fab to me. So I should only turn up when there are cars there which fit the same criteria as mine?
There are already local American car meets etc. It is the diversity of cars which makes Queens Square so popular.
You can park elsewhere and then walk to the square.
You miss the point , the square doesn't belong to you or your car club .

If you source your own venue then you can dictate who's welcome however if you use a public car park then you have to accept that mr chav in his saxo has as much right to be there as anyone else ( providing he's purchase a parking ticket )

phumy

5,120 posts

205 months

Saturday 17th February 2018
quotequote all
CanoeSniffer said:
In case anyone hasn't seen it, Dan- who informally organises QSBC- has suggested themed meets with the first being a pre-1985 to get the classics into the Square. This'll roll onto other criteria such as American cars only, modified cars only, supercars etc..

Sounds like a fab idea to me and exactly what a lot of people have been asking for. Of course there's no way to stop people entering the Square so whether it achieves the intended result or not depends on the attitude of people owning cars outside the chosen criteria.

Expect a Sunday morning dedicated to plastic British stuff soon.. As the idea was touted to him by the owners of these three when he made his Aston feature smile



This will turn me away from this meeting, I like the diversity of the cars, I have two rare 90s classics and I feel it will be a loss if I cannot bring them down when I want to. I shall go elsewhere and I`m sure I wont be the only one.

anonymous-user

22 months

Saturday 17th February 2018
quotequote all
phumy said:
This will turn me away from this meeting, I like the diversity of the cars, I have two rare 90s classics and I feel it will be a loss if I cannot bring them down when I want to. I shall go elsewhere and I`m sure I wont be the only one.
My thoughts exactly. I gave up with VW shows as they were the same old same old. Queen Square is/was an XR3i next to a Tesla next to an open wheeled hot rod.

egor110

14,439 posts

171 months

Saturday 17th February 2018
quotequote all
phumy said:
This will turn me away from this meeting, I like the diversity of the cars, I have two rare 90s classics and I feel it will be a loss if I cannot bring them down when I want to. I shall go elsewhere and I`m sure I wont be the only one.
Nobody is going to stop you , it's a public car park.

CanoeSniffer

825 posts

55 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
The variety of the current meets is superb and I agree that the current format makes for some weird and wonderful combinations, but personally I think the issue is that people keep bringing cars that aren’t weird or wonderful and putting them centre stage. It’s frustrating seeing the likes of Vipers, E-Types, all manner of beautiful classics, pushed to the kerb whilst a bunch of 10 year olds fawn over a Corsa VXR with a sub in the boot, and a diesel BMW with M badges takes up two spaces in the Square (examples may or may not be exaggerated for effect). I adore the variety but I feel this is a positive step towards pushing the focus of the meets towards genuinely interesting stuff. My car doesn’t qualify for this theme, so if I do attend I’ll either park it out of the way or take the daily driver and save some fuel. I have no doubt I’ll still get to see some fantastic cars- give it a chance people, your theme will come and your car will be the star, just not this time.

jkh112

14,750 posts

126 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
This is turning it even more into a car show rather than a car meet. I thought it was an informal gathering of likeminded individuals with interesting cars (and other forms of transport) but if a theme is 'advertised' such as '80s month then Supercar month you can expect even more public turning up with prams and sitting on the bonnets to take selfies with the sports car,

Although there may be a lot of each type of car seen in the square not all of then turn up every month. There will be interesting cars in the area that we never get the chance to see in the square because they were not able to attend that particular month.


anonymous-user

22 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
The other problem with it turning more into a "show" is the council may not be so lenient towards it

CanoeSniffer

825 posts

55 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
The council and NIMBYs have been tightening their grip on QSBC for a while now, frankly I'd be surprised if they give a fk what type of cars are showing up.

Nothing stopping anyone bringing any kind of car along, the intended effect is that- if classics are the centrepiece today, be a good boy and park your Civic a little further out of the way. Nothing stopping you talking about it, meeting other petrolheads or seeking out Civic enthusiasts to have a look around it.

The ultimate aim is to improve the experience for everyone, if it doesn't achieve that aim then the idea will be dropped. No money changes hands at this event (except the butty van), there's no entry fee, it's informal and light-hearted. How people can find so much scope for doommongering is beyond me.

egor110

14,439 posts

171 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
CanoeSniffer said:
The council and NIMBYs have been tightening their grip on QSBC for a while now, frankly I'd be surprised if they give a fk what type of cars are showing up.

Nothing stopping anyone bringing any kind of car along, the intended effect is that- if classics are the centrepiece today, be a good boy and park your Civic a little further out of the way. Nothing stopping you talking about it, meeting other petrolheads or seeking out Civic enthusiasts to have a look around it.

The ultimate aim is to improve the experience for everyone, if it doesn't achieve that aim then the idea will be dropped. No money changes hands at this event (except the butty van), there's no entry fee, it's informal and light-hearted. How people can find so much scope for doommongering is beyond me.
Going by your civic comment I'm not sure you help your cause.

Face facts you don't rent or own a venue therefore you don't get to call the shots as to who can or cannot park in a public car park.

Mr civic is as welcome as you because at the end of the day your just cars taking up a parking space, makes no difference what the car is.

Also bear in mind this is Bristol and cyclists call the shots wink

jkh112

14,750 posts

126 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
CanoeSniffer said:
Nothing stopping anyone bringing any kind of car along, the intended effect is that- if classics are the centrepiece today, be a good boy and park your Civic a little further out of the way. Nothing stopping you talking about it, meeting other petrolheads or seeking out Civic enthusiasts to have a look around it.

The ultimate aim is to improve the experience for everyone, if it doesn't achieve that aim then the idea will be dropped. No money changes hands at this event (except the butty van), there's no entry fee, it's informal and light-hearted. How people can find so much scope for doommongering is beyond me.
Who are you (or any other member of the public) to decide on what the centrepiece of a parking area should be? With language like ‘be a good boy’ you seem to think you are someone above the rest of us.
I presume your theme idea is linked to the Facebook group which started publicising the queens square meet. It is partly this group who is to blame for what the meet has become. Don’t think that all the attendees are on Facebook so whatever message you put out won’t reach everyone it would need to. The ADC originally set it up and many of the regulars with interesting vehicles have been attending since then.

Master Bean

1,875 posts

88 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
jkh112 said:
CanoeSniffer said:
Nothing stopping anyone bringing any kind of car along, the intended effect is that- if classics are the centrepiece today, be a good boy and park your Civic a little further out of the way. Nothing stopping you talking about it, meeting other petrolheads or seeking out Civic enthusiasts to have a look around it.

The ultimate aim is to improve the experience for everyone, if it doesn't achieve that aim then the idea will be dropped. No money changes hands at this event (except the butty van), there's no entry fee, it's informal and light-hearted. How people can find so much scope for doommongering is beyond me.
Who are you (or any other member of the public) to decide on what the centrepiece of a parking area should be? With language like ‘be a good boy’ you seem to think you are someone above the rest of us.
I presume your theme idea is linked to the Facebook group which started publicising the queens square meet. It is partly this group who is to blame for what the meet has become. Don’t think that all the attendees are on Facebook so whatever message you put out won’t reach everyone it would need to. The ADC originally set it up and many of the regulars with interesting vehicles have been attending since then.
You seem to think you are above the rest who think they're above the rest. Chillax and enjoy the show dude.

CanoeSniffer

825 posts

55 months

Tuesday 20th February 2018
quotequote all
jkh112 said:
Who are you (or any other member of the public) to decide on what the centrepiece of a parking area should be? With language like ‘be a good boy’ you seem to think you are someone above the rest of us.
I presume your theme idea is linked to the Facebook group which started publicising the queens square meet. It is partly this group who is to blame for what the meet has become. Don’t think that all the attendees are on Facebook so whatever message you put out won’t reach everyone it would need to. The ADC originally set it up and many of the regulars with interesting vehicles have been attending since then.
Who am I? I'm the messenger boy hehe I'm fully aware that not all attending will be on Facebook, hence why I thought I'd share it with like minded petrol headed happy smiley people who may otherwise have missed it smile

Is there such a thing as negativity aversion therapy? scratchchin

jkh112

14,750 posts

126 months

Wednesday 21st February 2018
quotequote all
Apologies for the tone of my previous post. Reading it today it does come across differently to how I had intended it to.