Moving to US

Moving to US

Author
Discussion

h0b0

5,263 posts

157 months

Sunday 20th January 2019
quotequote all
My employer told me they had applied for the green card and hadn’t. After chasing them for a year they finally did apply for me. Ironically, they realized they were running out of time on my L1 so had to apply as I was in a position that would drop them in the st if I left the country. They did a 180 and they did everything they could to rush it including asking me my wedding plans.

Obviously, there was no way I was getting married for a green card so it actually delayed my marriage. In the end I got married and they cancelled my work green card application and paid for my marriage one. It took 3 months through marriage instead of 7 years for work.

I got my green card 10 years ago. At that time the process required you to apply to apply. Once you had got through the first round and had a real application you could stay in the country. The trouble was getting to that stage.

thainy77

Original Poster:

3,280 posts

159 months

Thursday 4th April 2019
quotequote all
Just thought i would update this thread now things have progressed a bit.

We got our visas yesterday, blanket L1 for me and L2 for the family so i plan on moving at the start of May with the family to follow in July when the girls finish school.

I have a pre-approval letter for my mortgage, i need my SSN to have it fully in place, i'll obviously do that when i arrive next month. The broker has said it takes approximately 30 days to close upon signing contracts, is this realistic? it seems a lot quicker than my experiences in the UK.

Looking forward to guns and pick-ups!

Matt Harper

5,960 posts

162 months

Thursday 4th April 2019
quotequote all
Not sure why Texas would be a more protracted process, but I closed on my house in 6 days.

thainy77

Original Poster:

3,280 posts

159 months

Thursday 4th April 2019
quotequote all
Matt Harper said:
Not sure why Texas would be a more protracted process, but I closed on my house in 6 days.
st! That is quick!

h0b0

5,263 posts

157 months

Thursday 4th April 2019
quotequote all
It varies from state to state. New Jersey being one of the more painful ones. On my last 2 houses we nearly ran out of the 90 day lock in of rate. That was even with us pushing every person involved.

OllyM

11 posts

154 months

Monday 8th April 2019
quotequote all
h0b0 said:
It varies from state to state. New Jersey being one of the more painful ones. On my last 2 houses we nearly ran out of the 90 day lock in of rate. That was even with us pushing every person involved.
It’s not always the case in NJ, maybe I got lucky but I closed on my house within 30 days... just down the road from you in Maplewood.

.Flyer

433 posts

211 months

Saturday 13th April 2019
quotequote all
thainy77 said:
I have a pre-approval letter for my mortgage, i need my SSN to have it fully in place, i'll obviously do that when i arrive next month. The broker has said it takes approximately 30 days to close upon signing contracts, is this realistic? it seems a lot quicker than my experiences in the UK.

Looking forward to guns and pick-ups!
Welcome to the neighborhood; I'm just outside Houston.

We made the formal offer on our house on November 1 and completed December 14. It could have closed much quicker, but this suited all parties. Watch those closing costs!

thainy77

Original Poster:

3,280 posts

159 months

Saturday 13th April 2019
quotequote all
.Flyer said:
Welcome to the neighborhood; I'm just outside Houston.

We made the formal offer on our house on November 1 and completed December 14. It could have closed much quicker, but this suited all parties. Watch those closing costs!
Looking at your profile we are in the same industry, no surprises there being as it's Houston.

Good to know, we'd like to close fairly quickly so that we can have a house in the school catchment area we want prior to the new school year starting in August. The company covers the closing costs thankfully.

Edited by thainy77 on Saturday 13th April 13:11

.Flyer

433 posts

211 months

Friday 19th April 2019
quotequote all
thainy77 said:
Looking at your profile we are in the same industry, no surprises there being as it's Houston.

Good to know, we'd like to close fairly quickly so that we can have a house in the school catchment area we want prior to the new school year starting in August. The company covers the closing costs thankfully.

Edited by thainy77 on Saturday 13th April 13:11
Yes, no surprises there!

Where are you looking to buy?

That’s a great benefit, the company covering the closing costs; I was shocked how much it was, and how many there were. Won’t be moving house for quite some time that’s for sure.

The Moose

20,574 posts

170 months

Monday 22nd April 2019
quotequote all
.Flyer said:
thainy77 said:
Looking at your profile we are in the same industry, no surprises there being as it's Houston.

Good to know, we'd like to close fairly quickly so that we can have a house in the school catchment area we want prior to the new school year starting in August. The company covers the closing costs thankfully.

Edited by thainy77 on Saturday 13th April 13:11
Yes, no surprises there!

Where are you looking to buy?

That’s a great benefit, the company covering the closing costs; I was shocked how much it was, and how many there were. Won’t be moving house for quite some time that’s for sure.
And then you get the fun of realtor fees! If your property is worth a few bucks, have the wife take the real estate test to sell your home. Save around 3% of the sale price.

thainy77

Original Poster:

3,280 posts

159 months

Monday 22nd April 2019
quotequote all
.Flyer said:
Yes, no surprises there!

Where are you looking to buy?

That’s a great benefit, the company covering the closing costs; I was shocked how much it was, and how many there were. Won’t be moving house for quite some time that’s for sure.
We are looking in Katy, primarily Cinco Ranch and Fulshear.

We've been told to expect around 3-5% so it's not an inconsiderable amount.

.Flyer

433 posts

211 months

Monday 22nd April 2019
quotequote all
thainy77 said:
We are looking in Katy, primarily Cinco Ranch and Fulshear.

We've been told to expect around 3-5% so it's not an inconsiderable amount.
Not too far from me, I’m in Richmond / Pecan Grove area. Recently moved from Lakes of Bella Terra which I think is technically Cinco Ranch. Great area to choose!

.Flyer

433 posts

211 months

Monday 22nd April 2019
quotequote all
The Moose said:
And then you get the fun of realtor fees! If your property is worth a few bucks, have the wife take the real estate test to sell your home. Save around 3% of the sale price.
Yes, the realtor fees for the sellers on the house we bought were eye watering. Great business to be in!

thainy77

Original Poster:

3,280 posts

159 months

Tuesday 7th May 2019
quotequote all
I'm in! Now for the fun stuff, i'm going car shopping at the weekend, any pointers?

I'd like a muscle car of some description, the GT350 is current favourite but with the GT500 coming out at the end of the year and it being a manual I have some concerns. Other option is a Challenger Scat Pack Widebody but i don't like the interior of that at all. Is there anything similar that i may be overlooking? The car will be a daily.

Matt Harper

5,960 posts

162 months

Wednesday 8th May 2019
quotequote all
thainy77 said:
I'm in! Now for the fun stuff, i'm going car shopping at the weekend, any pointers?

Other option is a Challenger Scat Pack Widebody but i don't like the interior of that at all. .
I've got one of these - I'm curious to understand what it is about the interior that is so distasteful.

I would also encourage you to drive one, if you haven't already. The additional wheel/tire, brakes and adjustable shocks absolutely transform it compared to the regular Scat Pack (I've owned both).

It is also extremely well balanced considering its heft and the 392 Apache is a fantastic big-inch motor - very flexible, mountains of torque and massively tunable and responsive to upgrade/modification. With some light mods and DR tires, mine runs 11 second quarters without fuss.

There is also the added bonus of a huge trunk and usable rear seats compared to Mustang or Camaro.


Old - 2015 392 Scat Pack in TorRed


New - 2019 392 Scat Pack Plus Widebody in White Knuckle

thainy77

Original Poster:

3,280 posts

159 months

Thursday 9th May 2019
quotequote all
Matt Harper said:
I've got one of these - I'm curious to understand what it is about the interior that is so distasteful.

I would also encourage you to drive one, if you haven't already. The additional wheel/tire, brakes and adjustable shocks absolutely transform it compared to the regular Scat Pack (I've owned both).

It is also extremely well balanced considering its heft and the 392 Apache is a fantastic big-inch motor - very flexible, mountains of torque and massively tunable and responsive to upgrade/modification. With some light mods and DR tires, mine runs 11 second quarters without fuss.

There is also the added bonus of a huge trunk and usable rear seats compared to Mustang or Camaro.


Old - 2015 392 Scat Pack in TorRed


New - 2019 392 Scat Pack Plus Widebody in White Knuckle
I appreciate i am coming from European cars but the amount of plastic and the size of the front seats in the Challenger put me off, don't get me wrong, the Mustang isn't much better. Even the font on the dials and displays are a bit gimmicky. Having said that i like the exterior of the Challenger more than the Mustang.

I have had a poke around both and have seen the difference in space, to be honest the rear seats would probably not be used and the trunk space isn't really a problem. I've also wasted a few hours on the Dodge website creating my own Challengers, i'll try and get a few test drives in this weekend.

That's a very nice looking Widebody!