New 1/4 mile champion

Author
Discussion

DangerousDerek

Original Poster:

8,314 posts

156 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
Congratulations to Dave Morris who has taken my top spot on the TVR 1/4 mile table with an impressive 10.22 et at what is a massive terminal speed of 153mph!

I emailed Dave for further details on the Tuscan racer. He says it runs a highly modified LS7 with 680 bhp and a sequential gearbox. He also adds a little nitrous to push it over 1000 bhp. Even with this much power I cant say how impressed I am with such a terminal speed. This wwas achieved at the Brighton Speed trials where there is no prep and grip is somewhat limited. At the pod I reckon this car would be heading close to running 8's

FlipFlopGriff

6,907 posts

183 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
Jesus. I'd be happy with sub 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classic Chim

8,530 posts

85 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
FlipFlopGriff said:
Jesus. I'd be happy with sub 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I managed a 12.6 about 3 years ago and boy am I still happy about it biglaugh

Magnanimous Derek as ever, congratulations indeed to the new record holder. thumbup

Gets the juices flowing eh Derek,,,, I can see your brain working on it as we speak,,,, biggrin


RichardD

3,514 posts

181 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
DangerousDerek said:
... At the pod I reckon this car would be heading close to running 8's
Out of interest do you know what differential the car uses?

phazed

16,941 posts

140 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
RichardD said:
DangerousDerek said:
... At the pod I reckon this car would be heading close to running 8's
Out of interest do you know what differential the car uses?
Yes, a very, very strong one!
Advertisement

RichardD

3,514 posts

181 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
phazed said:
Yes, a very, very strong one!
That would be needed for an optimum run at a proper drag strip, but a tyre smoking launch at a low grip surface (as Brighton was relative to e.g. Santa Pod) is much more gentle on the transmission than a low 60 foot time run.

We know this from the quickest road TVR's on MT's around 1.6 secs to the 60ft mark. (Like me driving to the Pod once and seeing the TVR I'd driven hours to see going onto a low loader!)

phazed

16,941 posts

140 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Absolutely.

I believe Daves 0–60 foot time was about two seconds which was pretty poor in the dragracing world but he’s immense power gave him a huge terminal speed and a truly excellent quarter mile time.

As a comparison, my best 0–60 foot time was about 1.63 seconds, Far quicker but I have nowhere near his power and pale by comparison in the quarter mile times!

RichardD

3,514 posts

181 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
phazed said:
Absolutely.

I believe Daves 0–60 foot time was about two seconds which was pretty poor in the dragracing world but he’s immense power gave him a huge terminal speed and a truly excellent quarter mile time.

As a comparison, my best 0–60 foot time was about 1.63 seconds, Far quicker but I have nowhere near his power and pale by comparison in the quarter mile times!
Good stuff. I wasn't trying to be negative (there is plenty of that on new TVR discussions!), theory and practice can be different things.

Seeing RWD/manual TVR's blast away from the line quicker than 4WD production cars is always entertaining smile.

My estimate (as the person who would reverse engineer real drag times into a computer model for Derek/Brummmie) is that a second off that time is certainly do-able and if the transmission will hold up to a harder launch with sticky tyres on a sticky track than achieved by yourself/Derek/Brummmie, that beyond hyper quick high 8 second time is achievable.
But then again from video there was wheel spin in the first three gears so the above could still be pessimistic on gains from better traction!



DangerousDerek

Original Poster:

8,314 posts

156 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
I warned Peter once you dip into the 1.6's the driveshafts are at risk when he was gunning for the NA record at Shakey.
He got the record but tried to go quicker and snapped his stubby... ooh err.

Myself and Paul Chance have uprated shafts and have 60 foots in the 1.5's. My best is 1.51
I think Barry has managed a similar 60 foot on standard shafts!

Its not the drag racing or even the power that's the damaging factor as Richard says, its the big grip from MTs and a prepped surface such as the pod that gives the transmission the sudden hit!

Richard 858

1,857 posts

71 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
I was at Brighton on 1st September to see Dave make his runs, truly impressive. This was my first trip to the Speed Trials and only had 2 runs but managed a 12.50 at 125mph, RV8 450 s/c on R888Rs. Derek's right about fairly low grip on Madeira Drive but you are allowed a small burnout to get some heat into the back end, lovely event if the weather's nice. Derek, please feel free to add me to the list if you like, I didn't want to tread on your toes with it (or more likely bugger it up!)
ETA Don't worry Derek, I've managed to update the list without buggering it up (I think!).

Edited by Richard 858 on Saturday 8th December 15:29

Classic Chim

8,530 posts

85 months

Damn, you worked out how to amend the leaderboard hehe I’m now 30th getmecoat

Still not bad for a fairly standard car.

It’s harder than it looks eh Richard. With some grip you have a big time in that car,,,, thumbup

spitfire4v8

2,646 posts

117 months

Dave Morris' time is quite spectacular isn't it? Top stuff.

I'm still amazed by how well Cyclone1's time has stood up though .. when you look at what people have spent in the cars around it on the leaderboard and the sorts of power they're claiming, it shows what a slightly warm (400hp) cerbera 4/5 is capable of. Regular 11.8/11.9 quarters from him in that car.

phazed

16,941 posts

140 months

Is that strange. Pretty much identical power and quarter mile times to my car and yet completely different engines!

Classic Chim

8,530 posts

85 months

Who was the chap who died recently who regularly dragged a Tuscan, used to take the bonnet off, he was very eccentric and a good old boy smile in the high 11’s allday when he wanted, he could also name a time and almost exactly meet it, told me he’d won loads of money that way biglaugh
He was very consistent.


jojackson4

2,673 posts

73 months

Classic Chim said:
Who was the chap who died recently who regularly dragged a Tuscan, used to take the bonnet off, he was very eccentric and a good old boy smile in the high 11’s allday when he wanted, he could also name a time and almost exactly meet it, told me he’d won loads of money that way biglaugh
He was very consistent.
He was at shakey when we rocked up

twold

102 posts

66 months

jojackson4 said:
He was at shakey when we rocked up
I was racing there a couple of years ago and I asked him about the bonnet and I think he said it was for the heat ,not sure what it did for the aerodynamics though ,he kept it pretty straight up the track.

DangerousDerek

Original Poster:

8,314 posts

156 months

jojackson4 said:
Classic Chim said:
Who was the chap who died recently who regularly dragged a Tuscan, used to take the bonnet off, he was very eccentric and a good old boy smile in the high 11’s allday when he wanted, he could also name a time and almost exactly meet it, told me he’d won loads of money that way biglaugh
He was very consistent.
He was at shakey when we rocked up
Ian Brockbank loved his bracket racing in his 4.3 ltr Tuscan. Was a proper enthusiast and a nice guy to speak to.

Classic Chim

8,530 posts

85 months

^^^^ that’s him. Top fella.