Installing braided brake lines and changing fluid

Installing braided brake lines and changing fluid

Author
Discussion

omniflow

Original Poster:

1,806 posts

120 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
Hi,

When installing braided brake lines at the same time as renewing the brake fluid, is it best to drain out the fluid before starting or keep as much fluid in the system as possible (using bungs?) and then make sure the fluid is renewed as part of the bleeding process? My assumption is drain it first - but I thought I'd ask on here anyway.

I'm planning on installing braided lines on all 4 corners, and I have 2 trolley jacks and 4 sturdy axle stands, so I should be able to get all 4 wheels off without a problem.

Thanks


Jakg

2,755 posts

137 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
Don't drain the fluid - you'll end up with air places that's tough to get out.

Replace hoses and flush until replaced.

GreenV8S

28,975 posts

253 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
Seal the reservoir with cling film under the cap when you replace the hoses to minimise fluid loss, and do each corner as quickly as possible. You'll need to bleed the system extensively afterwards and that will change the fluid for you.

Edited by GreenV8S on Tuesday 18th May 15:45

Evoluzione

6,631 posts

212 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
The only way to do it properly is to drain it all off.
I open the res cap, every bleed valve and put a container under them before I go home for the night.

E-bmw

6,347 posts

121 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
Evoluzione said:
The only way to do it properly is to drain it all off.
I open the res cap, every bleed valve and put a container under them before I go home for the night.
As above, do not do this.

Particularly if the car is ABS equipped, you will have a right mare of a job getting a good pedal again.

Evoluzione

6,631 posts

212 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
E-bmw said:
Evoluzione said:
The only way to do it properly is to drain it all off.
I open the res cap, every bleed valve and put a container under them before I go home for the night.
As above, do this.

Particularly if the car is ABS equipped, you will have a right mare of a job getting a good pedal again.
I've never ever had an issue with a pressure bleeder and do this weekly.

E-bmw

6,347 posts

121 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
Evoluzione said:
E-bmw said:
Evoluzione said:
The only way to do it properly is to drain it all off.
I open the res cap, every bleed valve and put a container under them before I go home for the night.
As above, do this.

Particularly if the car is ABS equipped, you will have a right mare of a job getting a good pedal again.
I've never ever had an issue with a pressure bleeder and do this weekly.
In that case you are the luckiest person ever to work on an ABS equipped car. wink

stevieturbo

15,616 posts

216 months

Tuesday 18th May
quotequote all
The last thing I would do is empty the system.

by all means remove fluid from the reservoir prior to filling with new fluid and bleeding through. But running the system dry can turn into a load of hassle, and there is zero need or reason to do that