COOL CLASSIC CAR SPOTTERS POST! (Vol 3)

COOL CLASSIC CAR SPOTTERS POST! (Vol 3)

Author
Discussion

Doofus

10,345 posts

121 months

Tuesday 12th November
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
Mine didn't have the solid back angled panels but glass in the middle section,iirc UK were produced in 77/78 and relaunched in 81/82...
'Buttress' HTH smile

T-195

1,541 posts

9 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
Mine didn't have the solid back angled panels but glass in the middle section,iirc UK were produced in 77/78 and relaunched in 81/82...
Had a look at a red one for sale in Catford with the glass panels. The bodywork was passed its best 20 years ago.

droopsnoot

7,138 posts

190 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
DickyC said:
RATATTAK said:
I think you're correct Dicky

"In 2015, the DVLA ruled that vehicles manufactured more than 40 years ago were permitted to display black and silver number plates. This means that if your vehicle was manufactured before 1 January 1975, you are eligible to display a traditional number plate. It’s important to note that this date is fixed and does not roll over each year, so if your vehicle was manufactured after this date, you are not permitted to display a black and silver number plate."
Thanks for that, Ratattak. For some reason I thought it was K reg - 1972 ish?

There's always room for confusion as both old and new styles were legal at the same time for a few years.
It was set to 1972 for ages, and when the VED-exemption was stopped at the same point the two were joined together - accidentally, I believe - and have stayed linked since then. So Ratattak's quote doesn't quite match with the DVLA regulations. The INF104 document is a bit confusing as it talks about regulations for "vehicles made after January 1st 1973" a lot, but then it adds

"From April 2019 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1979 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
• have applied to DVLA
• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.
The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April."

I believe that will be updated in April 2020 to reflect the cut-off date of 1980 as long as there are no rule changes in the meantime.

INF104 leaflet here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle...

They still don't look right to me, though.

aeropilot

19,065 posts

175 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
droopsnoot said:
DickyC said:
RATATTAK said:
I think you're correct Dicky

"In 2015, the DVLA ruled that vehicles manufactured more than 40 years ago were permitted to display black and silver number plates. This means that if your vehicle was manufactured before 1 January 1975, you are eligible to display a traditional number plate. It’s important to note that this date is fixed and does not roll over each year, so if your vehicle was manufactured after this date, you are not permitted to display a black and silver number plate."
Thanks for that, Ratattak. For some reason I thought it was K reg - 1972 ish?

There's always room for confusion as both old and new styles were legal at the same time for a few years.
It was set to 1972 for ages, and when the VED-exemption was stopped at the same point the two were joined together - accidentally, I believe - and have stayed linked since then. So Ratattak's quote doesn't quite match with the DVLA regulations. The INF104 document is a bit confusing as it talks about regulations for "vehicles made after January 1st 1973" a lot, but then it adds

"From April 2019 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1979 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
• have applied to DVLA
• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.
The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April."

I believe that will be updated in April 2020 to reflect the cut-off date of 1980 as long as there are no rule changes in the meantime.

INF104 leaflet here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle...

They still don't look right to me, though.
I agree.

Should have left it at the original cut-off date.
As said, it was clearly an error by the 'copy n paste' office junior tasked with creating the document at the time rolleyes






Dapster

3,309 posts

128 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
On the school run this morning. Factory lwb W123 (though not sure the 4 tone brown is original.....)




CRA1G

3,596 posts

143 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Dapster said:
On the school run this morning. Factory lwb W123 (though not sure the 4 tone brown is original.....)



Perfect for the school run.....hehe

bolidemichael

1,497 posts

149 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
Dapster said:
On the school run this morning. Factory lwb W123 (though not sure the 4 tone brown is original.....)



Perfect for the school run.....hehe
Fifty shades of brown!

CRA1G

3,596 posts

143 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
bolidemichael said:
Fifty shades of brown!
You mean the toddlers school run run run....laugh

T-195

1,541 posts

9 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all

P5BNij

4,492 posts

54 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Photo c/o Daniel Costa in Portugal...


Turbobanana

1,559 posts

149 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Photo c/o Daniel Costa in Portugal...

On days like these...

DickyC

34,964 posts

146 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Turbobanana said:
P5BNij said:
Photo c/o Daniel Costa in Portugal...

On days like these...
They just picked it up from the bottom of a cliff near the entrance to a road tunnel.

P5BNij

4,492 posts

54 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
DickyC said:
Turbobanana said:
P5BNij said:
Photo c/o Daniel Costa in Portugal...

On days like these...
They just picked it up from the bottom of a cliff near the entrance to a road tunnel.
It's only been there fifty one years... hehe

DickyC

34,964 posts

146 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
It's only been there fifty one years... hehe
I met the bloke who bought the DB4 Convertible - that actually didn't go over the cliff - from the film company. New windscreen and windscreen frame and all was well. I think he said he sold it for three thousand. It was a left hand drive Lancia that took the fall.

/freeze frame? moi?

T-195

1,541 posts

9 months

Thursday 21st November
quotequote all

P5BNij

4,492 posts

54 months

Friday 22nd November
quotequote all
DickyC said:
P5BNij said:
It's only been there fifty one years... hehe
I met the bloke who bought the DB4 Convertible - that actually didn't go over the cliff - from the film company. New windscreen and windscreen frame and all was well. I think he said he sold it for three thousand. It was a left hand drive Lancia that took the fall.

/freeze frame? moi?
It lives in London now and was at the Goodwood Revival in September...




aeropilot

19,065 posts

175 months

Friday 22nd November
quotequote all
T-195 said:
Err...............wrong thread?

LotusOmega375D

4,431 posts

101 months

Friday 22nd November
quotequote all
I don’t think nondescript mid-range 11 year-old BMWs have a thread, do they?

Gojira

617 posts

71 months

Friday 22nd November
quotequote all
LotusOmega375D said:
I don’t think nondescript mid-range 11 year-old BMWs have a thread, do they?
Are you sure it isn't the -clean- white van thats the subject? getmecoat

Bobo W

626 posts

200 months

Friday 22nd November
quotequote all
Gojira said:
LotusOmega375D said:
I don’t think nondescript mid-range 11 year-old BMWs have a thread, do they?
Are you sure it isn't the -clean- white van thats the subject? getmecoat
The owner is going to struggle to get back in on the driver side