Rear Screen Breakage - 'glass claim' on insurance?

Rear Screen Breakage - 'glass claim' on insurance?

Author
Discussion

280E

Original Poster:

1,350 posts

54 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Hi Chaps,

My OH has just broken her rear tailgate glass by closing it down onto some rubbish due to be taken to the tip later today :-(

As usual, of course, it's all my fault!

No other damage, thankfully, so just a quick question: is this (totally self-inflicted) breakage covered by her insurance 'windscreen' cover - or is that just for more 'accidental' stuff?

Zetec-S

3,210 posts

40 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
It will depend on the policy. Although the insurance company is not to know how it was broken... wink

swisstoni

8,285 posts

226 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
My tailgate glass spontaneously blew out whilst driving once. Nothing was touching the glass.
It felt and sounded like a brick had come through it.
In fact I looked for the brick although I was in the middle of nowhere hehe

Pica-Pica

6,082 posts

31 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Of course, every ‘self-inflicted’ claim that is paid out, puts everyone’s premium up.
However, surely the insurance excess payment will come close to or be more than the rear screen replacement cost?

ETA: Having read my own policy, it says ‘glass’ repair.
The detailed booklet says ‘glass in your car’s windscreen, windows, or sunroof’. So I would assume that a rear screen is a window, and therefore covered by the glass excess of £50 (or £70 at my chosen repairer).

Edited by Pica-Pica on Saturday 19th October 10:57

MitchT

12,691 posts

156 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
280E said:
As usual, of course, it's all my fault!
I feel your pain!


280E said:
... so just a quick question: is this (totally self-inflicted) breakage covered by her insurance 'windscreen' cover...
Strictly speaking the windscreen is the front window - ie, the one that screens the car's occupants from the wind - so I suspect it'll fall outside the remit of windscreen cover and the usual excess will be payable, which might make it cheaper (especially when you factor in the impact on your premiums if you make a claim) to simply pay for it out of your own pocket. Do check your policy though as it's all down to how they interpret windscreen cover, or "glass cover" as some call it.

MarkwG

1,997 posts

136 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
As above, if you have glass cover, that'll probably be covered. I've replaced a rear on insurance, no big deal.

RenPug

498 posts

115 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Yep claim through your insurance, unless you have an unusually high glass excess I doubt you'll get a cash price for anywhere near the same cost.

Rick101

5,785 posts

97 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
In my experience the rear screen is not covered under the lower glass excess.

You may need to make a 'full' claim.

Scrump

6,656 posts

105 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Had my rear screen replaced under the glass cover of my insurance and only paid a minimal excess.

Zetec-S

3,210 posts

40 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Pica-Pica said:
Of course, every ‘self-inflicted’ claim that is paid out, puts everyone’s premium up.
However, surely the insurance excess payment will come close to or be more than the rear screen replacement cost?

ETA: Having read my own policy, it says ‘glass’ repair.
The detailed booklet says ‘glass in your car’s windscreen, windows, or sunroof’. So I would assume that a rear screen is a window, and therefore covered by the glass excess of £50 (or £70 at my chosen repairer).

Edited by Pica-Pica on Saturday 19th October 10:57
Surely by default most claims are self inflicted?

I'd also argue that most glass replacement will be significantly more than a £50/£70 excess.

Sheepshanks

18,438 posts

66 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Pica-Pica said:
.... and therefore covered by the glass excess of £50 (or £70 at my chosen repairer).
£90 with LV=, as we discovered the other day after driver's window was found to be smashed on daughter's car.

More dismaying, she found out afterwards her union would would have paid in full - she's a teacher and it was done at school.

Pica-Pica

6,082 posts

31 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Zetec-S said:
Pica-Pica said:
Of course, every ‘self-inflicted’ claim that is paid out, puts everyone’s premium up.
However, surely the insurance excess payment will come close to or be more than the rear screen replacement cost?

ETA: Having read my own policy, it says ‘glass’ repair.
The detailed booklet says ‘glass in your car’s windscreen, windows, or sunroof’. So I would assume that a rear screen is a window, and therefore covered by the glass excess of £50 (or £70 at my chosen repairer).

Edited by Pica-Pica on Saturday 19th October 10:57
Surely by default most claims are self inflicted?

I'd also argue that most glass replacement will be significantly more than a £50/£70 excess.
My original post was about the general excess. My ETA was about glass excess. That is why I added it. However, that would apply to each individuals policy details.

Wooda80

1,400 posts

22 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
My only experience of this is of a customer who upon arriving to collect his new car parked his Jag XJ trade in in front of the showroom window proudly displaying a bullseye the size of an orange in the rear screen.

In fairness to him it was contained within the blackout around the edge so wouldn't have been visible in his rear view mirror. It was all sorted out painlessly on his insurance as I recall.

Suspected golf ball, though no surprise given the ake and model.

Chris32345

344 posts

9 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
MitchT said:
Strictly speaking the windscreen is the front window - ie, the one that screens the car's occupants from the wind - so I suspect it'll fall outside the remit of windscreen cover and the usual excess will be payable, which might make it cheaper (especially when you factor in the impact on your premiums if you make a claim) to simply pay for it out of your own pocket. Do check your policy though as it's all down to how they interpret windscreen cover, or "glass cover" as some call it.
Windscreen cover usually applies to all glass

Mr Tidy

9,598 posts

74 months

Saturday 19th October
quotequote all
Chris32345 said:
Windscreen cover usually applies to all glass
Yes, it always has in my experience.

Zoobeef

4,070 posts

105 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
Yup I've had a rear window replaced under the normal windscreen policy.

Glassman

20,624 posts

162 months

Wednesday 23rd October
quotequote all
Zetec-S said:
It will depend on the policy. Although the insurance company is not to know how it was broken... wink
They will never ask and even if it wasn't broken, neither will the repairer.

Ransoman

525 posts

37 months

Wednesday 23rd October
quotequote all
I smashed my rear screen around 10 years ago when a gate latch fell down as I was closing it. No hassle at all with the insurance Co, just the standard excess to pay.

tobinen

5,545 posts

92 months

Monday 28th October
quotequote all
Interesting. I need to check my Direct Line policy. I am about to order a rear screen direct from MB as the HRW is shot and it's delaminating.

Dog Star

10,654 posts

115 months

Monday 28th October
quotequote all
Rick101 said:
In my experience the rear screen is not covered under the lower glass excess.

You may need to make a 'full' claim.
In my experience it is.