Reg's Youtube thread

Reg's Youtube thread

Author
Discussion

LordGrover

31,718 posts

171 months

Friday 12th August 2016
quotequote all
Reg Local said:
It's been a couple of months since I posted anything on Youtube, so I thought I'd bring my cameras and laptop away with me on holiday up to North West Scotland.

We travelled up on Saturday and the traffic was busier than we're used to north of Glasgow, but we normally come up here in autumn/winter. Mind you, the traffic allowed loads of overtakes, so I've edited the trip down to an 11 minute video & set it to some music which seems to suit the Scottish roads (I didn't think you'd want to listen to Mrs Local and me talking to each other - I know I don't).

Proper Scottish roads & overtaking start at about 1.25:

https://youtu.be/6NeXYVmUWg0
A lot of drivers 'comfort' braking and braking for no (obvious) reason, especially as you make your intentions clear and manoeuvre.

Blakewater

3,594 posts

116 months

Saturday 13th August 2016
quotequote all
ashleyman said:
dvenman said:
Over here, the Highway Code says you "must not" use the hazard lights while driving, except in some fairly specific circumstances. I tend to indicate once left then right as a thank you, especially at night, if I think the other driver won't see a thank you wave.
Yeah! I don't understand this whole hazard lights = thank you.
I use a flash of the hazards as a thank you, usually if someone has cooperated at a merge in turn point to reinforce good behaviour. The three flash function many cars have on nudging the indicator means you can't give a quick left, right flick.

Reg Local

Original Poster:

2,540 posts

167 months

Wednesday 17th August 2016
quotequote all
A couple more from the Scottish Highlands.

Night Driving (with a guest appearance at 08:10!):

https://youtu.be/0wFfd5g13J4

And Cornering Lines - I've used a drone for part of this footage - it's not brilliant, but you should get the general idea. I'll keep working on it.

https://youtu.be/4w5IjyNIFbE

rainmakerraw

1,077 posts

85 months

Thursday 18th August 2016
quotequote all
Reg Local said:
A couple more from the Scottish Highlands.

Night Driving (with a guest appearance at 08:10!):

https://youtu.be/0wFfd5g13J4

And Cornering Lines - I've used a drone for part of this footage - it's not brilliant, but you should get the general idea. I'll keep working on it.

https://youtu.be/4w5IjyNIFbE
Good stuff as always, Reg. Be honest, did you pucker up at 8.10? hehe The drone stuff is brilliant, I can see that coming in handy in future! Thanks again for taking the time to make and upload them.

JM

3,170 posts

165 months

Wednesday 21st September 2016
quotequote all
Reg Local said:
It's been a couple of months since I posted anything on Youtube, so I thought I'd bring my cameras and laptop away with me on holiday up to North West Scotland.

We travelled up on Saturday and the traffic was busier than we're used to north of Glasgow, but we normally come up here in autumn/winter. Mind you, the traffic allowed loads of overtakes, so I've edited the trip down to an 11 minute video & set it to some music which seems to suit the Scottish roads (I didn't think you'd want to listen to Mrs Local and me talking to each other - I know I don't).

Proper Scottish roads & overtaking start at about 1.25:

https://youtu.be/6NeXYVmUWg0
I missed this when you first posted it, so just had a watch.

Very good, and I'm sure I've overtaken at each of the places you did. biggrin

JoeMarano

1,042 posts

59 months

Friday 30th September 2016
quotequote all
I was under the impression you aren't allowed to link your own youtube videos on pistonheads? Or is that something they like to police only when it suits?

benjijames28

1,702 posts

51 months

Saturday 1st October 2016
quotequote all
JoeMarano said:
I was under the impression you aren't allowed to link your own youtube videos on pistonheads? Or is that something they like to police only when it suits?
There's always one.

WinstonWolf

72,805 posts

198 months

Saturday 1st October 2016
quotequote all
benjijames28 said:
JoeMarano said:
I was under the impression you aren't allowed to link your own youtube videos on pistonheads? Or is that something they like to police only when it suits?
There's always one.
I'm glad there is in this case, it's bought some good videos to my attention.

Reg, excellent keep it up.
Joe, crawl back under your rock...

rainmakerraw

1,077 posts

85 months

Saturday 1st October 2016
quotequote all
JoeMarano said:
I was under the impression you aren't allowed to link your own youtube videos on pistonheads? Or is that something they like to police only when it suits?
Well if they want to take them all down, that's fine. I'll make a new thread and post them all back up for him. hehe

IcedKiwi

91 posts

74 months

Monday 3rd October 2016
quotequote all
Another new one up on Acceleration Sense angel
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cn85aXnuhs8

benjijames28

1,702 posts

51 months

Monday 3rd October 2016
quotequote all
IcedKiwi said:
Another new one up on Acceleration Sense angel
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cn85aXnuhs8
Good video. Feel like I'm going to be saying the phrase acceleration sense every time I don't brake to slow down.

greygoose

6,259 posts

154 months

Monday 3rd October 2016
quotequote all
Nice videos again, disappointed by the lack of deer action in the acceleration sense one though.

Blakewater

3,594 posts

116 months

Sunday 30th October 2016
quotequote all
rainmakerraw said:
JoeMarano said:
I was under the impression you aren't allowed to link your own youtube videos on pistonheads? Or is that something they like to police only when it suits?
Well if they want to take them all down, that's fine. I'll make a new thread and post them all back up for him. hehe
It's ironic that on a website about the enjoyment of driving it's the posts about taking pleasure in driving well and improving skills that cause the most controversy.

I must have been following him around this afternoon because I found the A59 randomly closed at Clitheroe with some plastic fencing across the road and now I know why. The central retreat and flashing lights at the next junction aren't enough to prevent people keep crashing there on a regular basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbALc4PgSE

titian

55 posts

78 months

Monday 31st October 2016
quotequote all
Blakewater - please explain further where the flashing lights are on the A59, I travel along it most days but can't understand your comment

Reg Local

Original Poster:

2,540 posts

167 months

Monday 31st October 2016
quotequote all
titian said:
Blakewater - please explain further where the flashing lights are on the A59, I travel along it most days but can't understand your comment
Flashing lights on the A59 warning of the staggered junction:



titian

55 posts

78 months

Monday 31st October 2016
quotequote all
Thanks Reg, my mind's eye was down by the three roundabouts not at the Pendle Road/Sabden Road junction.

One time when travelling east, just as your posted photo shows, I was aware of the car holding in the central refuge ready to join "my" carriageway, I was off the gas, then he pulled out, literally a few yards ahead, I veered to the left and he was alongside me for a brief moment then he turned left, accross my bonnet, down Pendle road WITH A HAND IN THE AIR BY WAY OF APPOLOGY. I've never seen as many drivers open-mouthed in amazement as those waiting to emerge on to the A59 from Pendle road. I was half on the nearside grass half on the tarmac, luckily driving a Discovery so the minimal kerb had no effect and ABS did it's job keeping straight as I braked from maybe 55mph to 20mph in a matter of some 15 yards. No damage done, my mental preparation approacing the junction possibily gave me a split second or two to escape from what could have been one heck of a shunt.


titian

55 posts

78 months

Tuesday 1st November 2016
quotequote all
Reg has given you the approach view, now here is the junction
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pendle+Rd,+Cli...

Imagine the faces of those sitting where the "fish" van is expecting me to T-bone them any moment as I ran towards them with my nearside wheels in the grass and then to regain the carriageway once the offending vehicle had turned left accross my bonnet and down past them. As they say, look where you want to go not at what your'e going to hit and don't freeze, keep steering.

Max_Torque

15,857 posts

176 months

Tuesday 1st November 2016
quotequote all
Hey Reg, have you ever driven any of the modern EVs? I think you'd love the fact that they can be "one pedal" driven because they regen on a full lift of the accelerator pedal. Makes "Acceleration Sense" even more relevant than ever i think ;-)

caziques

1,944 posts

127 months

Saturday 5th November 2016
quotequote all
Just been watching the "cornering" video on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgll4p9QJc

Just a warning to anyone thinking of driving like this in New Zealand, you will be banned from driving if caught.

Crossing the centre line without reason (such as overtaking or turning) is an offence - and five of them is a ban.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/canterbury/9...

You have been warned.

Blakewater

3,594 posts

116 months

Sunday 6th November 2016
quotequote all
caziques said:
Just been watching the "cornering" video on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgll4p9QJc

Just a warning to anyone thinking of driving like this in New Zealand, you will be banned from driving if caught.

Crossing the centre line without reason (such as overtaking or turning) is an offence - and five of them is a ban.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/canterbury/9...

You have been warned.
Is it a specific offence or does it fall under something more general like Dangerous Driving?