GRRC 2021 Membership

GRRC 2021 Membership

Author
Discussion

ecsrobin

11,241 posts

123 months

Tuesday 13th October
quotequote all
I think I’ll hold out till the end of December before paying we may have a better idea if events of that size will be going ahead in 2021.

No ideas for a name

Original Poster:

773 posts

44 months

Tuesday 13th October
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
I think I’ll hold out till the end of December before paying we may have a better idea if events of that size will be going ahead in 2021.
I think I will hold out too - but as mentioned above, I too am sure that any announcements about next year's events will be made after the memberships are in the bank.
It isn't really a dig at Goodwood - what can they do? I would expect a bit more honesty about the plan though, just blindly saying the events will go ahead doesn't actually give that much confidence.

I don't have a crystal ball, but to me, the way things are going I just don't see how any organisation can commit literally millions of pounds to organising an event that has a high probability of being cancelled or delayed.

Again a political or statistical point, but the population hiding from a virus doesn't solve the issue. It just kicks the can and makes the problem happen later.

AllezWasps

460 posts

124 months

Wednesday 14th October
quotequote all
Goodwood are no different to other businesses that have set their sights on returning to (some sort of) normality in 2021.
I look at it this way- if I don’t renew and everyone else takes the same view then Goodwood will be gone. End of. No more. Yes it will be bitterly disappointing to have everything scrapped again next year but firstly at this moment in time there’s every chance we’ll get a FOS and a Revival (I accept the position with the MM is a bit more precarious- but of course they could re-jig the date) and secondly, if my continued support and membership gives us a shot at going back to the place I love dearly in 2022 then for me, it’s a price worth paying.

No ideas for a name

Original Poster:

773 posts

44 months

Wednesday 14th October
quotequote all
AllezWasps said:
...........
I look at it this way- if I don’t renew and everyone else takes the same view then Goodwood will be gone. End of. No more. Yes it will be bitterly disappointing to have everything scrapped again next year but firstly at this moment in time there’s every chance we’ll get a FOS and a Revival (I accept the position with the MM is a bit more precarious- but of course they could re-jig the date) and secondly, if my continued support and membership gives us a shot at going back to the place I love dearly in 2022 then for me, it’s a price worth paying.
I was going to say that the Club subs are not necessary in order to run the events, but then a quick estimate of the figures was made...

The Membership fees for the Goodwood Road Racing Club must gross around £2M for the Goodwood Road Racing Company (based on an average of say £300 fees for say 7000 members). I can't see the Club being particularly expensive to run.

GRRCo netted something like £5M the previous year, so the Club does seem to be a surprisingly high contributor to the Company profits.

However, assuming 150,000 (over the three days) go to both major events (total 300k tickets) , to get that £2M back would only add £7 to a ticket. Don't forget Members still have to buy their tickets (allowing a small discount).

If my figures are roughly right, then it adds more weight to a bit more value being given back to the Members.

I too am likely to be renewing - I want the events to continue as I enjoy spending my time there - however Goodwood just saying they are planning for all events and no mention of the fall back position isn't good.


AllezWasps

460 posts

124 months

Wednesday 14th October
quotequote all
Your figures may or may not be right- however given that the club earned nothing from ticket sales this year (or next year depending on your view because those that bought tickets this year will not have to pay again for the pleasure next year as they remain valid) in theory if everything gets cancelled again next year then that money from membership renewals may just keep things afloat. It might not of course but it could be the difference.

OtherBusiness

645 posts

100 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
I agree with all of this. I will renew for next year, but am not expecting MM to go ahead in March. The other events are a maybe. Probably be another Speedweek type single event in 2021. If the rules are a bit more relaxed after next summer (or there is a vaccine and we have our "all clear" paperwork!), just members are able to visit to spectate, spread out around the track.

Hopefully the membership and fellowship combined brings in enough money to the GRRC and estate as a whole to keep it ticking over as we move forward.

No ideas for a name

Original Poster:

773 posts

44 months

Friday 16th October
quotequote all
OtherBusiness said:
I agree with all of this. I will renew for next year, but am not expecting MM to go ahead in March. The other events are a maybe. Probably be another Speedweek type single event in 2021. If the rules are a bit more relaxed after next summer (or there is a vaccine and we have our "all clear" paperwork!), just members are able to visit to spectate, spread out around the track.

Hopefully the membership and fellowship combined brings in enough money to the GRRC and estate as a whole to keep it ticking over as we move forward.
That is a three line summary of my ramblings!

My issue with Goodwood is the blind belief that there will be the three events as normal next year - a bit of reality when they ask for our fees would be a better plan. An alternative plan for if things don't go as we would like. A further delayed MM78 would be disappointing, as that is really (for me) the best of the events. We don't know the future for next year, but we/they should be open about considering options.

Reading my own post back, I realised one part didn't read as I intended... I was trying to get across that the Membership does in fact contribute a fair bit to the operation. Goodwood should recognise that a bit more. Particularly if the membership end up giving GW several million for them to tread water for the two years. I think most members don't see the annual fees as just buying a service, it is more to belong in some way to GW.
I think there is a general feeling that the Membership benefits have been diluted over the years. Benefits might be better for those who live locally and can take better advantage of things. I don't wish to deny 'Fellows' (AKA Associate Members) their benefits, but there isn't a great step between them and members.
You don't want to alienate the non-members, but Members (and Fellows to some degree) should get a bit more.
Whatever happens, with ticket carry over and/or reduced capacity, GW have lost a year's worth of ticket sales (countered by not having some of the costs of the three events). By my guess that is someting like 300,000 people (tickets) over the 6 days with say an average cost of £100... that is £30M. Ouch.


Taylor James

2,067 posts

19 months

Yesterday (13:52)
quotequote all
I'll renew (20+ year member). The money is not significant by a typical member's standards and I'm not a fair weather fan. I'm local so benefit more than some but it's in the same category as using the local shops rather than cheaper out of town places for me. If it was £2K a year I might think differently but it's in the region of a fiver a week.

Taylor James

2,067 posts

19 months

Yesterday (13:55)
quotequote all
No ideas for a name said:
OtherBusiness said:
I agree with all of this. I will renew for next year, but am not expecting MM to go ahead in March. The other events are a maybe. Probably be another Speedweek type single event in 2021. If the rules are a bit more relaxed after next summer (or there is a vaccine and we have our "all clear" paperwork!), just members are able to visit to spectate, spread out around the track.

Hopefully the membership and fellowship combined brings in enough money to the GRRC and estate as a whole to keep it ticking over as we move forward.
That is a three line summary of my ramblings!

My issue with Goodwood is the blind belief that there will be the three events as normal next year - a bit of reality when they ask for our fees would be a better plan. An alternative plan for if things don't go as we would like. A further delayed MM78 would be disappointing, as that is really (for me) the best of the events. We don't know the future for next year, but we/they should be open about considering options.

Reading my own post back, I realised one part didn't read as I intended... I was trying to get across that the Membership does in fact contribute a fair bit to the operation. Goodwood should recognise that a bit more. Particularly if the membership end up giving GW several million for them to tread water for the two years. I think most members don't see the annual fees as just buying a service, it is more to belong in some way to GW.
I think there is a general feeling that the Membership benefits have been diluted over the years. Benefits might be better for those who live locally and can take better advantage of things. I don't wish to deny 'Fellows' (AKA Associate Members) their benefits, but there isn't a great step between them and members.
You don't want to alienate the non-members, but Members (and Fellows to some degree) should get a bit more.
Whatever happens, with ticket carry over and/or reduced capacity, GW have lost a year's worth of ticket sales (countered by not having some of the costs of the three events). By my guess that is someting like 300,000 people (tickets) over the 6 days with say an average cost of £100... that is £30M. Ouch.
Are you leaving out sponsorship and other revenues? I think they'll be down a lot more than £30M.

Stephanie Plum

2,613 posts

169 months

Yesterday (15:42)
quotequote all
Taylor James said:
I'll renew (20+ year member). The money is not significant by a typical member's standards and I'm not a fair weather fan. I'm local so benefit more than some but it's in the same category as using the local shops rather than cheaper out of town places for me. If it was £2K a year I might think differently but it's in the region of a fiver a week.
Same here. It’s not enough money to get particularly exercised about. We visit the Kennels regularly and if I read their various magazines over a coffee I can save at least the GRRC sub by not subscribing to them all myself wink

We also pop into the circuit ad hoc and there is usually something interesting happening either on track on or on the airfield. Once the events return, realistically I doubt in 2021, but hopefully in 2022, all will be well again.