Honda appreciation thread

Honda appreciation thread

Author
Discussion

spreadsheet monkey

3,845 posts

188 months

Monday 23rd November 2020
quotequote all
Four Seasons Total Landscaping said:
Who cares about the range?

Honda e! Love it!

NorthernSky

597 posts

78 months

Monday 23rd November 2020
quotequote all




My 5th gen VFR800. More incredible design and engineering by Honda... gear driven cams whine as you accelerate, the V4 engine sounds incredible, and this is a 1999 bike - so it is pre-VTEC. Just nice smooth v4 power from 2k rpm all the way to the redline.

The full titanium system and lack of catalyser (these became mandatory from 2000, so I missed it by a year!) combined with the engine and cams makes it sound lush.....

These were around £9000 new back in 1998-2000, nowadays, you can get extremely good examples for £2000 give or take.

Willy Nilly

12,511 posts

128 months

Thursday 3rd December 2020
quotequote all


My Jazz in Kaunertal Glacier Park last year. It where the filmed the snow scene in Spectre

Tyre Tread

9,390 posts

177 months

Friday 4th December 2020
quotequote all
S800 featured on Bangers and cash yesterday and didn't make as much as it should have. (IMHO)

Leftfootwonder

Original Poster:

735 posts

19 months

Friday 4th December 2020
quotequote all
It does frustrate me how journos (and subsequently the market) seem to have a real blind spot for classic Japanese stuff. Even if they do acknowledge it, they still prefer a rattly old boxy-looking Alfa from the 80's that constantly breaks and has no performance at all. I don't get it.

LG9k

342 posts

183 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
Leftfootwonder said:
Lovely history. That CR-X looks very tidy indeed! thumbup They're really starting to go up in value.
Thanks for that. Sadly, the numpty who bought it from me fitted stupid aftermarket wheels and crashed it. He couldn't afford to repair it, so it's been scrapped.

Trevor555

2,417 posts

45 months

Sunday 6th December 2020
quotequote all
Just got an odd ball Honda, an Elysion 8 seat luxury mini bus.





It's a 2006 car. The build quality is great, some nice touches like the colour coded window trims.

Chain driven 2.4 so should be reliable, one Hope's.

spreadsheet monkey

3,845 posts

188 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
Willy Nilly said:


My Jazz in Kaunertal Glacier Park last year. It where the filmed the snow scene in Spectre
Great photo. Was that part of a long European trip?

Willy Nilly

12,511 posts

128 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
spreadsheet monkey said:
Willy Nilly said:


My Jazz in Kaunertal Glacier Park last year. It where the filmed the snow scene in Spectre
Great photo. Was that part of a long European trip?
Sort of the turn around point. It's actually a tour I've gone twice on my bike (PC41 CBR600FA-B) with my brother (NC700X) that we had organised for us by Global Motorcycle Tours. We went from Calais, night in Luxembourg, a night in southern Germany, then stayed near Landeck in Austria for a few nights which we used as a jumping off point for rides like Stelvio and Timmelsjoch and a couple of others on the bikes, but my girlfriend wasn't keen on that in the car. We went to that castle they modelled the Disney one on and went down to Barden Barden the year before.

So in short yes, it was part of a European trip! No issue at all in the car, just put fuel in a drive. Plenty comfy enough, handles nicely in the mountains. Lane 3 on an unrestricted autobahn in what most would describe as "ambitious" in a Honda Jazz. 1,100 miles or so in 8 days.

Ptr400J

223 posts

52 months

Monday 7th December 2020
quotequote all
Trevor555 said:
Just got an odd ball Honda, an Elysion 8 seat luxury mini bus.





It's a 2006 car. The build quality is great, some nice touches like the colour coded window trims.

Chain driven 2.4 so should be reliable, one Hope's.
Snap !
V6 version here !

Gompo

3,992 posts

219 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
Ptr400J said:
Snap !
V6 version here !
I've quickly reached that age where these are somewhat tempting. What sort of MPG do you get with the V6?

Ptr400J

223 posts

52 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
Gompo said:
I've quickly reached that age where these are somewhat tempting. What sort of MPG do you get with the V6?
Wouldn't worry on the age thing !! I still ride fast bikes and drive fast cars ! I got the Elysion to cart different generation of family and to use for my work so spends a lot of its time loaded with tools !
Its quick for a 1.8 tonnes of vehicle too, not sports car quick but about 8 secs 0-60.

MPG varies from 22 / 27 around town, loaded, upto about 31 / 32 mpg out of town, again loaded. I have an 8x4 braked trailer and when that is in use around 27mpg averaged.

It has the system that drops it onto 3 cylinders when on light throttle load, helps fuel consumption and mine can tootle along at 70mph on three pots even with eight people aboard. You can barely, if at all, detect the change to three pots and back to six, very subtle. Dashboard eco light lets you know its happening.

Mine is a 2004 , eight seater version but 7 seater captain chair versions were available too.

Edited by Ptr400J on Tuesday 8th December 09:31


Edited by Ptr400J on Tuesday 8th December 09:33

Trevor555

2,417 posts

45 months

Tuesday 8th December 2020
quotequote all
Ptr400J said:
Snap !
V6 version here !
Great to hear from another owner on PH

Mine is my new fishing bus. Itll take four people with all the luggage and kit. (Rear seats coming out)

I was going to get a Vellfire, but when I saw the Elysion was 10cm lower in height I thought great, itll go into the garage so I can just leave all the kit in it.

I've only driven it from the garage to home on trade plates so far, but impressed by the luxury feel of it.

Plans for a swivel front seat, and maybe a pop top roof. But maybe I'm getting too old for sleeping in motors on the riverbank.

Leftfootwonder

Original Poster:

735 posts

19 months

Wednesday 9th December 2020
quotequote all
Got the old girl out in the sunshine this past weekend.



Gompo

3,992 posts

219 months

Saturday 12th December 2020
quotequote all
Ptr400J said:
Gompo said:
I've quickly reached that age where these are somewhat tempting. What sort of MPG do you get with the V6?
Wouldn't worry on the age thing !! I still ride fast bikes and drive fast cars ! I got the Elysion to cart different generation of family and to use for my work so spends a lot of its time loaded with tools !
Its quick for a 1.8 tonnes of vehicle too, not sports car quick but about 8 secs 0-60.

MPG varies from 22 / 27 around town, loaded, upto about 31 / 32 mpg out of town, again loaded. I have an 8x4 braked trailer and when that is in use around 27mpg averaged.

It has the system that drops it onto 3 cylinders when on light throttle load, helps fuel consumption and mine can tootle along at 70mph on three pots even with eight people aboard. You can barely, if at all, detect the change to three pots and back to six, very subtle. Dashboard eco light lets you know its happening.

Mine is a 2004 , eight seater version but 7 seater captain chair versions were available too.
Thanks for the reply, I'd read about the cylinder shutdown; good to know it works in practice. Realistically I don't think I'd get one for a while, but something to think about.

BTCC_racer

23 posts

4 months

Saturday 19th December 2020
quotequote all
Leftfootwonder said:
Got the old girl out in the sunshine this past weekend.


Awesome buddy.

For a saloon its got a cracking chassis and of course the power train.
Factory LSD.

Good old days!

rpm1969

86 posts

122 months

Friday 1st January
quotequote all
My first Honda was a 2nd gen Accord - a hand me down from my father when he replaced it with a 3rd gen. I then married into a Honda loving family - father-in-law had 3rd and 4th gen Accord and a 5th gen Prelude. It took me a while to buy my first one. I got this a couple of years ago as a weekend car. This is from a few weeks ago on a day trip to Weymouth to look at the cruise ships moored offshore and drive some nice Dorset roads. I love it.

chrismc1977

700 posts

73 months

Friday 1st January
quotequote all
BTCC_racer said:
Awesome buddy.

For a saloon its got a cracking chassis and of course the power train.
Factory LSD.

Good old days!
Enjoyed my 2. My DC2 is just a bit more focussed & agile I think- it’s a good 200kgs lighter mind you

BTCC_racer

23 posts

4 months

Monday 4th January
quotequote all
chrismc1977 said:
BTCC_racer said:
Awesome buddy.

For a saloon its got a cracking chassis and of course the power train.
Factory LSD.

Good old days!
Enjoyed my 2. My DC2 is just a bit more focussed & agile I think- it’s a good 200kgs lighter mind you
Aye Aye, I have a uk spec DC2 had it for over a decade. Awesome pleasure driving it.

Leftfootwonder

Original Poster:

735 posts

19 months

Monday 4th January
quotequote all
BTCC_racer said:
chrismc1977 said:
BTCC_racer said:
Awesome buddy.

For a saloon its got a cracking chassis and of course the power train.
Factory LSD.

Good old days!
Enjoyed my 2. My DC2 is just a bit more focussed & agile I think- it’s a good 200kgs lighter mind you
Aye Aye, I have a uk spec DC2 had it for over a decade. Awesome pleasure driving it.
I can't argue with that although I do use the rear doors/seats occasionally so it is a compromise I am happy to make.