Lets see your Yank tanks!

Lets see your Yank tanks!

Author
Discussion

HD Adam

5,155 posts

187 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
ratrod 2 said:
Looks like a well built 32 but they are pretty useless as a car , great toy for scaring yourself on short blasts

on dry days though, You will probably miss it but the C3 with the roof panels off or on gives you the best of both

worlds and a manual 427 big block to.

You almost had me fulled with the EV part, biglaugh

Do you still have the yellow Roadrunner in your garage .


Edited by ratrod 2 on Monday 5th February 00:36
The 32 was great. Very nicely built & looked great but in reality, a glorified V8 Go Kart.

Loud, smelly, not very comfortable etc.

Mrs HD loves coming to car shows but doesn't love having her hairdo ruined & make up trashed by the time we get there biggrin

Last summer was brutal with constant 40 degC days & that took a lot of fun out of the rod.

So T Tops off when it's nice & back on with the AC running when its ridiculously hot.

I still have the Road Runner.



Had issues with the 6 Pack carbs, think it's the E10 fuel we have here so I chucked an Edlebrock 4bbl manifold & carb on it.

It ran great after that. So great that I seized the engine up being a bit enthusiastic frown

Currently having a 550 hp engine being built for it.





roscobbc

3,479 posts

245 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
ratrod 2 said:
Looks like a well built 32 but they are pretty useless as a car , great toy for scaring yourself on short blasts

on dry days though, You will probably miss it but the C3 with the roof panels off or on gives you the best of both

worlds and a manual 427 big block to.

You almost had me fulled with the EV part, biglaugh

Do you still have the yellow Roadrunner in your garage .


Edited by ratrod 2 on Monday 5th February 00:36
The 32 was great. Very nicely built & looked great but in reality, a glorified V8 Go Kart.
Loud, smelly, not very comfortable etc.
Mrs HD loves coming to car shows but doesn't love having her hairdo ruined & make up trashed by the time we get there biggrin
Last summer was brutal with constant 40 degC days & that took a lot of fun out of the rod.
So T Tops off when it's nice & back on with the AC running when its ridiculously hot.
I still have the Road Runner.

Had issues with the 6 Pack carbs, think it's the E10 fuel we have here so I chucked an Edlebrock 4bbl manifold & carb on it.
It ran great after that. So great that I seized the engine up being a bit enthusiastic frown
Currently having a 550 hp engine being built for it.
440 presumably?
Torque is always 'King' - I recall when John Sleath built up my BBC 489 stroker engine some 15 years John was more used to 1/4 mile nitrous and blown street and strip engines with anwhere up to 2000 hp. Mine came up at 570hp/606ft/lbs tq which at that point was the highest normally aspirated torque engine that had come off his dyno..........well it was for a few weeks - until he built-up a pair of very similar 489 cu in stroker Mopar 440's for a couple of Jensen club members and raised his 'record' by about 15 hp's - great gutsy street engine those 440's.

Edited by roscobbc on Monday 5th February 15:16


Edited by roscobbc on Monday 5th February 15:18

HD Adam

5,155 posts

187 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
roscobbc said:
440 presumably?
Yes, a 440.

Hydraulic roller cam, trick flow heads etc.

I want it to idle & not overheat in traffic.

Don't want or need a race engine (had one of those) so 500-550hp should be nice.

Not sure if it's going to be a bit samey as the Vette so I'll see which one I like best & probably shift the other on for something different again.

Probably a Hot Rod like this but with a roof & AC this time biglaugh



aeropilot

35,301 posts

230 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
Had issues with the 6 Pack carbs, think it's the E10 fuel we have here so I chucked an Edlebrock 4bbl manifold & carb on it.
Yep, old carbs don't like E10 fuel......


aeropilot

35,301 posts

230 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
Probably a Hot Rod like this but with a roof & AC this time biglaugh

Hot Rod with a/c.........heathen!!! biglaugh

32's are better as coupe's though, especially with wind-out windscreen and wind-down rear window......nice flow of air through the cabin.

HD Adam

5,155 posts

187 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
HD Adam said:
Had issues with the 6 Pack carbs, think it's the E10 fuel we have here so I chucked an Edlebrock 4bbl manifold & carb on it.
Yep, old carbs don't like E10 fuel......
You can get new gasket sets & floats so the Ethanol doesn't affect them. Should have done that ages ago.

aeropilot said:
Hot Rod with a/c.........heathen!!! biglaugh

32's are better as coupe's though, especially with wind-out windscreen and wind-down rear window......nice flow of air through the cabin.
If I still lived in England, I might agree.

However, here in Texas, a nice flow of 100% Humidity, 40 degree air that's already passed over the open engine bay really isn't much fun.

ratrod 2

1,129 posts

12 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
roscobbc said:
440 presumably?
Yes, a 440.

Hydraulic roller cam, trick flow heads etc.

I want it to idle & not overheat in traffic.

Don't want or need a race engine (had one of those) so 500-550hp should be nice.

Not sure if it's going to be a bit samey as the Vette so I'll see which one I like best & probably shift the other on for something different again.

Probably a Hot Rod like this but with a roof & AC this time biglaugh

I'm jealous, apart from 28c-32c in June but we had to live with what felt like 40f very wet July and August .

Love those wheels on that 3 window,

When you do get a 3 window you will find that you will not only use it more but travel longer distances much to the relief

to her in-doors, roadsters are fun for the drivers but not so much for your passengers,

Sounds like the Roadrunner will be fun. thumbup







HD Adam

5,155 posts

187 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
ratrod 2 said:
I'm jealous, apart from 28c-32c in June but we had to live with what felt like 40f very wet July and August .
I know.

We came over for the last week of July/first week of August.

Went to the Pod for the Mopars on the Saturday. Cold & rainy.

I'm 63 this month & thinking of retiring soon which would mean returning to the UK but I'm not sure I could handle the crappy weather again as far as the motoring fun goes.

Perhaps, when the time comes I'll chop everything in for a Hellcat to bring back or something modern that could go out in the rain.

sidewinder500

1,252 posts

97 months

Monday 5th February
quotequote all
Congrats on the Corvette, cool history and perfect looks!

aeropilot

35,301 posts

230 months

Tuesday 6th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
Perhaps, when the time comes I'll chop everything in for a Hellcat to bring back or something modern that could go out in the rain.
I wouldn't. Not with the surging costs of running something like that here in the UK with the increasing anti-car movement.

I'd be looking at bringing that 427 vette back in all honesty (assuming you like it) classic's are the better option for a weekend toy in the UK, not anything modern.


roscobbc

3,479 posts

245 months

Tuesday 6th February
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
HD Adam said:
Perhaps, when the time comes I'll chop everything in for a Hellcat to bring back or something modern that could go out in the rain.
I wouldn't. Not with the surging costs of running something like that here in the UK with the increasing anti-car movement.

I'd be looking at bringing that 427 vette back in all honesty (assuming you like it) classic's are the better option for a weekend toy in the UK, not anything modern.
I've had my '68 BB 4 speed Vette since 2000.........the one significant thing I have noticed over the years is the increasing interest in cars of this area and type from ordinary passers-by of all ages and sexes........don't seem to get the stupid "how many gallons to the mile comments" anymore. The car is, after all a kinda modern 'antique' (as is the driver!) - always get let out of side roads, other vehicles give way and get perhaps receive disproportionate respect on the roads with the car. You'll get much the same of course with far, far newer performance cars......but the interest perhaps tends to be from far younger and armed with smartphone/video cameras..........

ZedLeg

12,278 posts

111 months

Tuesday 6th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
ratrod 2 said:
Looks like a well built 32 but they are pretty useless as a car , great toy for scaring yourself on short blasts

on dry days though, You will probably miss it but the C3 with the roof panels off or on gives you the best of both

worlds and a manual 427 big block to.

You almost had me fulled with the EV part, biglaugh

Do you still have the yellow Roadrunner in your garage .


Edited by ratrod 2 on Monday 5th February 00:36
The 32 was great. Very nicely built & looked great but in reality, a glorified V8 Go Kart.

Loud, smelly, not very comfortable etc.

Mrs HD loves coming to car shows but doesn't love having her hairdo ruined & make up trashed by the time we get there biggrin

Last summer was brutal with constant 40 degC days & that took a lot of fun out of the rod.

So T Tops off when it's nice & back on with the AC running when its ridiculously hot.

I still have the Road Runner.



Had issues with the 6 Pack carbs, think it's the E10 fuel we have here so I chucked an Edlebrock 4bbl manifold & carb on it.

It ran great after that. So great that I seized the engine up being a bit enthusiastic frown

Currently having a 550 hp engine being built for it.
If you're pulling it apart anyway, it'll be worth checking the fuel lines. If they're not ethanol resistant they'll dissolve from the inside and fill your carb with a gummy mess. Might have been the problem you were having with the six pack. Although I understand they were a mare to tune at the best of times laugh

AdeTuono

7,317 posts

230 months

Tuesday 6th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
I'm 63 this month & thinking of retiring soon which would mean returning to the UK but I'm not sure I could handle the crappy weather again as far as the motoring fun goes.
Missing Great Yarmouth, are you?

No, thought not... rofl

HD Adam

5,155 posts

187 months

Wednesday 7th February
quotequote all
ZedLeg said:
HD Adam said:
ratrod 2 said:
Looks like a well built 32 but they are pretty useless as a car , great toy for scaring yourself on short blasts

on dry days though, You will probably miss it but the C3 with the roof panels off or on gives you the best of both

worlds and a manual 427 big block to.

You almost had me fulled with the EV part, biglaugh

Do you still have the yellow Roadrunner in your garage .


Edited by ratrod 2 on Monday 5th February 00:36
The 32 was great. Very nicely built & looked great but in reality, a glorified V8 Go Kart.

Loud, smelly, not very comfortable etc.

Mrs HD loves coming to car shows but doesn't love having her hairdo ruined & make up trashed by the time we get there biggrin

Last summer was brutal with constant 40 degC days & that took a lot of fun out of the rod.

So T Tops off when it's nice & back on with the AC running when its ridiculously hot.

I still have the Road Runner.



Had issues with the 6 Pack carbs, think it's the E10 fuel we have here so I chucked an Edlebrock 4bbl manifold & carb on it.

It ran great after that. So great that I seized the engine up being a bit enthusiastic frown

Currently having a 550 hp engine being built for it.
If you're pulling it apart anyway, it'll be worth checking the fuel lines. If they're not ethanol resistant they'll dissolve from the inside and fill your carb with a gummy mess. Might have been the problem you were having with the six pack. Although I understand they were a mare to tune at the best of times laugh
The car has all steel fuel lines.

I think the issue is the gaskets & the floats,

You can get replacements which are advertised as Ethanol resistant.

I'll probably get an Ultrasonic cleaning tank off Amazon & have a go at rebuilding them sometime.

And yes, soon as you look at them, they go out of tune.

Fitek does a 6 pack EFI conversion. Pricey but may be the way to go.

AdeTuono said:
Missing Great Yarmouth, are you?

No, thought not... rofl
Not exactly but all the family are still there apart from the parents, now gone.

I think living in the USA is great IF you're employed & have medical coverage.

As a retiree on Medicare, not so much.

Plus, the USA is really expensive now. We come over every summer & my wife was shocked at how cheap most things were compared to back here.

I still have the house in Hemsby (all paid for) & paid full NI contributions for enough years to get the State pension.
Plus a private pension there.

It would be a bit of a no brainer to move back if there's another oil industry downturn or I decide to jack it all in.



SRT Hellcat

7,073 posts

220 months

Thursday 8th February
quotequote all
Ritchie335is said:
My current pair..



Neither moved for a week in that weather.
Good choice of weapon Ritchie. I've been running a Lightning for over 20 years. Great trucks. Not so good in the snow smile

SRT Hellcat

7,073 posts

220 months

Thursday 8th February
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
HD Adam said:
Perhaps, when the time comes I'll chop everything in for a Hellcat to bring back or something modern that could go out in the rain.
I wouldn't. Not with the surging costs of running something like that here in the UK with the increasing anti-car movement.

I'd be looking at bringing that 427 vette back in all honesty (assuming you like it) classic's are the better option for a weekend toy in the UK, not anything modern.
I would certainly bring the Vet back with you. Hellcat would be a good choice. No problem with ULEZ, not too bad on fuel and road tax will be relatively cheap as a US import

aeropilot

35,301 posts

230 months

Thursday 8th February
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
I still have the house in Hemsby (all paid for) & paid full NI contributions for enough years to get the State pension.
Plus a private pension there.
Hope its a long way back from the beach given the rate at which the sea is accelerating inland eek

Good old Hemsby, have much happy memories of wild weekends at Tom Ingram's Rock n Roll Weekenders at Pontins all through the 90's and into the early 2000's. Happy days.


HD Adam

5,155 posts

187 months

Thursday 8th February
quotequote all
aeropilot said:
Hope its a long way back from the beach given the rate at which the sea is accelerating inland eek
It's not really,

The tidal patterns have changed since they dredged the area to make banks to site the wind farms on.

The beach is washed away now and what they call cliffs are just sand dunes that those shacks are built on.

But if I end up with a nice beach front property & throw in a bit of Global Warming, I'll be ok with that biggrin

AdeTuono

7,317 posts

230 months

Friday 16th February
quotequote all
Despite once again vowing not to buy any more old US iron, I appear to have become the owner of this...




...and it's lovely! And rock-solid. That I would look so good at nearly 80 years old...

DodgyGeezer

41,278 posts

193 months

Friday 16th February
quotequote all
AdeTuono said:
Despite once again vowing not to buy any more old US iron, I appear to have become the owner of this...




...and it's lovely! And rock-solid. That I would look so good at nearly 80 years old...
drunk on e-bay?