G-Shock Pawn

Author
Discussion

blue_haddock

2,083 posts

44 months

Friday 15th April
quotequote all
Cheap decent spec one at Beaverbrooks

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0128115/Casio-GShoc...

Sheetmaself

5,209 posts

175 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
Picked this up the other day as don’t have a white watch.



And then I remembered i do have a white watch, an Electricianz S.now.

And then I remembered I also have a white camo G-Shock.

Oh well! This is why I’m broke!

originals

1,398 posts

4 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
Your legs are weird.

TheJimi

Original Poster:

21,969 posts

220 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
Sheetmaself said:
Picked this up the other day as don’t have a white watch.



And then I remembered i do have a white watch, an Electricianz S.now.

And then I remembered I also have a white camo G-Shock.

Oh well! This is why I’m broke!
Offloading that gold G to me would help with that biggrin

Sheetmaself

5,209 posts

175 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
You will be the first to be offered if i ever decide to move it on, promise.


Sheetmaself

5,209 posts

175 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
originals said:
Your legs are weird.
And I’ve only bothered to paint my two left feet! smile

BaronVonVaderham

2,168 posts

124 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
thebraketester said:
BaronVonVaderham said:
Finally after endless colour variations they are making a solar casioak!

Shame it’s not multiband 6 too, but Bluetooth is better than nothing.

I’ll be getting the yellow one asap to go with my original black one with white hands.

Way more excited about this than the moonswatch hehe

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-b2100
Is the Bluetooth purely for clock sync?
Not sure, does it do much on the other Bluetooth ones?

I try to only get solar and atomic ones so as to reduce the numbers acquired!

Lord Marylebone

15,482 posts

157 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
5 years ago I sold all my G Shocks. Had about 10 of them I think.

I had some really nice ones as well. Stuff like a couple of the KRINK Ltd Editions, and black/gold ‘30 Stars’ anniversary etc.

I was a fool. A bloody fool I tell you!

Anyway, I really like the look of the GBD-200.

My questions are, does anyone have this model? Or a model with the same module. What do you think of it?

Especially, what do you think of way it handles notifications?

Does it also show basic Google maps text notifications on the screen when walking? Or just texts, calls, etc

Does it show WhatsApp notifications?

(Asking the above as I’ve had a couple of cheap Chinese £30 fitness band type smartwatches and they were remarkably good at showing texts and Google maps notifications ‘Turn left’ etc on screen. I find this very useful when walking around the city at work and not having to continuously hold my phone in my hand to see turn left/turn right)

The fact it is a semi-smartwatch with notifications, yet a 2 year battery life is really appealing to me.

Plus, the new MIP display/screen looks amazing.

Would be interested to read anyones thoughts on it smile

If it’s god-awful at notifications I may or may not still make a purchase…

Dave.

6,715 posts

230 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
I’ve just been looking at these, and came here to ask the same question regarding notifications. smile

Meeten-5dulx

1,995 posts

33 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
Portofino said:
I can’t stop wearing this since I got it 6 weeks ago! Love it.

I just got one of these and love it.

Anyone able to suggest a good place for an alternative strap.
Got the urge to mix it up some,

Harfi88

419 posts

39 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
I was looking at the smart watches earlier, I have a couple of G-Shocks but wear a Fitbit daily, I’d like something that had the look of a G but gave me the same features as the Fitbit, I used to have a series 1 Apple Watch but the daily charging annoyed me.

MrBig

1,758 posts

106 months

Saturday 16th April
quotequote all
So these showed up today. Hopefully will get a few minutes to change them in the next few days. Should I be investing in a small JIS screwdriver first?


mackie1

8,110 posts

210 months

Sunday 17th April
quotequote all
Harfi88 said:
I was looking at the smart watches earlier, I have a couple of G-Shocks but wear a Fitbit daily, I’d like something that had the look of a G but gave me the same features as the Fitbit, I used to have a series 1 Apple Watch but the daily charging annoyed me.
Garmin fenix is probably the best bet. Not quite G levels of ruggedness though but long battery life by general smart watch standards.

r159

1,828 posts

51 months

Sunday 17th April
quotequote all
mackie1 said:
Harfi88 said:
I was looking at the smart watches earlier, I have a couple of G-Shocks but wear a Fitbit daily, I’d like something that had the look of a G but gave me the same features as the Fitbit, I used to have a series 1 Apple Watch but the daily charging annoyed me.
Garmin fenix is probably the best bet. Not quite G levels of ruggedness though but long battery life by general smart watch standards.
My vote would be a Garmin instinct std/solar or Suunto Ambit Peak. I have the latter and the battery lasts for a long, long while between charging, and it is 100m water resistant. Although it doesn’t have the inbuilt heart rate monitor, it will link to a strap thing.

Sheetmaself

5,209 posts

175 months

Wednesday 20th April
quotequote all
Have this on today



Almost matches the footwear


originals

1,398 posts

4 months

Wednesday 20th April
quotequote all
Sheetmaself said:
Almost matches the footwear

Post these in the trainer thread...

Sheetmaself

5,209 posts

175 months

Wednesday 20th April
quotequote all
Not sure I’m brave enough wink

originals

1,398 posts

4 months

Wednesday 20th April
quotequote all
Wise man. wink

minimalist

1,399 posts

182 months

Wednesday 20th April
quotequote all
Lord Marylebone said:
5 years ago I sold all my G Shocks. Had about 10 of them I think.

I had some really nice ones as well. Stuff like a couple of the KRINK Ltd Editions, and black/gold ‘30 Stars’ anniversary etc.

I was a fool. A bloody fool I tell you!

Anyway, I really like the look of the GBD-200.

My questions are, does anyone have this model? Or a model with the same module. What do you think of it?

Especially, what do you think of way it handles notifications?

Does it also show basic Google maps text notifications on the screen when walking? Or just texts, calls, etc

Does it show WhatsApp notifications?

(Asking the above as I’ve had a couple of cheap Chinese £30 fitness band type smartwatches and they were remarkably good at showing texts and Google maps notifications ‘Turn left’ etc on screen. I find this very useful when walking around the city at work and not having to continuously hold my phone in my hand to see turn left/turn right)

The fact it is a semi-smartwatch with notifications, yet a 2 year battery life is really appealing to me.

Plus, the new MIP display/screen looks amazing.

Would be interested to read anyones thoughts on it smile

If it’s god-awful at notifications I may or may not still make a purchase…
I have a GBX-100 which has the same module.

I like it but it isn't perfect.

The screen is amazing and the main home page with the large time font is really easy to read. However, some of the other screens have extremely small fonts. They are rendered nice and sharp but if your eye-sight is faltering, as mine is, you might not find some screens easy to read.

Regarding notifications, it isn't great but is fine for me. Basically it beeps and/or vibrates and I see "Whatsapp" and under it "Helen". Same level of detail for Gmail etc. If I want to read the message, it is multiple button presses and not worth the hassle. I glance down and based on the little bit of info provided I can decide whether or not it's worth getting the phone out but haven't read a full message on the screen since the day I got it a couple of months ago.

Mine buzzes for every notification my phone receives, even the strange ones like the silly (wifi) oven that tells me when my dinner is done. smile Unless I'm mistaken, you can't selectively choose which app notifications are allowed and not allowed so you might find it tedious.

Steps and distance work well although my Fitbit counts steps about 30% higher. TBH, I don't know which is more accurate. Time is based on your mobile network so (without any adjustment) mine is bang on in-sync with my work PC which is handy.

I haven't tried the Google directions. I'll wear it tomorrow and report back.

Edited by minimalist on Wednesday 20th April 16:54


Edited by minimalist on Wednesday 20th April 16:56

MrBig

1,758 posts

106 months

Thursday 21st April
quotequote all
MrBig said:
So these showed up today. Hopefully will get a few minutes to change them in the next few days. Should I be investing in a small JIS screwdriver first?

Finally got round to fitting these:



Much better! 5 minute job once I’d found a JIS screwdriver small enough!