Bullbars

Bullbars

Author
Discussion

Aonghus Anderson

Original Poster:

4 posts

4 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
I’ve got mixed responses, most unhelpful. Is it legal to fit a bullbar and drive on the road with it, and no I’m not talking about a nudge bar, I mean a proper Bullbar like the ARB or MCC brands you can find in Australia or New Zealand. Especially since we have now left the EU are we no longer bound by the eu dictated rule on bullbars? Very confused, going to do it anyway just wanted to know if it was legal or not.

Aonghus Anderson

Original Poster:

4 posts

4 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
So you can fit them, just not buy them... right.

Red9zero

1,701 posts

25 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
Some insurance companies don't like them either. This was on my 90 when I first saw it. Part of the sale was taking it off and putting a standard bumper on. Adrian Flux were happy to cover it, but I couldn't justify driving round with that much metalwork hanging off the front.


Glosphil

3,270 posts

202 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
Aonghus Anderson said:
I’ve got mixed responses, most unhelpful. Is it legal to fit a bullbar and drive on the road with it, and no I’m not talking about a nudge bar, I mean a proper Bullbar like the ARB or MCC brands you can find in Australia or New Zealand. Especially since we have now left the EU are we no longer bound by the eu dictated rule on bullbars? Very confused, going to do it anyway just wanted to know if it was legal or not.
Why?
Expect to meet a kangaroo?
Hope you never hit a pedestrian with those fitted.

Aonghus Anderson

Original Poster:

4 posts

4 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
Well I don’t exactly take my truck out with the intention of hitting a pedestrian. Short answer for you is I used to live in Australia, where I was expecting to hit a roo, and had a bullbar on my hilux back there. I like them in terms of functionality (mounting winches, recovery points and spotlights) as well as the ‘cool’ factor, they look awesome and complete the truck In my eyes.

pidsy

6,482 posts

125 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all


My Boss has this defender. His bars were made and fitted by Safety Devices and he’s had no issues with insurance.
He uses an equine insurance specialist. I can find out which one.

Ranger 6

6,408 posts

217 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
I don't have a bull bar on mine - I have a winch bumper with spotlight mounting......... hehe

I haven't injured any pedestrians, however it has minimised the damage when I've bumped into trees silly


littlebasher

3,266 posts

139 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
"It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the department would not recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users."

That would be no bull bar ever then!

Bill

45,521 posts

223 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
I had one on my Landy in Africa, but then the risk to my car from wildlife was greater than my risk to pedestrians. I can't see why you'd consider it here, get a winch bumper if you must but a bullbar is massive overkill.

Red9zero

1,701 posts

25 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
littlebasher said:
"It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the department would not recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users."

That would be no bull bar ever then!
A lot of new ones are just plastic / foam things for effect only.

Aonghus Anderson

Original Poster:

4 posts

4 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
I have absolutely 0 sympathy for pedestrians who feel the need to walk into the middle of a road and headbut my truck. I live and work in the countryside, I understand fitting a bullbar on a vehicle and then only using it in a city is asking for trouble, however regardless of having a bullbar or not, hitting a pedestrian with a truck is probably going to kill them anyway. I’ve always had bullbars on my vehicles and will always continue to do so, roads are for cars, not pedestrians. If I was fitting a bullbar to a mobility scooter I’d have a lot more consideration!

PH User

19,017 posts

76 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
Aonghus Anderson said:
Well I don’t exactly take my truck out with the intention of hitting a pedestrian.
Not many people do.

Bill

45,521 posts

223 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
Aonghus Anderson said:
I have absolutely 0 sympathy for pedestrians who feel the need to walk into the middle of a road and headbut my truck. I live and work in the countryside, I understand fitting a bullbar on a vehicle and then only using it in a city is asking for trouble, however regardless of having a bullbar or not, hitting a pedestrian with a truck is probably going to kill them anyway. I’ve always had bullbars on my vehicles and will always continue to do so, roads are for cars, not pedestrians. If I was fitting a bullbar to a mobility scooter I’d have a lot more consideration!
I live and work in the country too. Pheasants don't cause much damage, badgers are lower than a bull bar and deer strikes aren't that common. I'm also aware I'm not perfect and pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders are a frequent occurrence.

warch

2,941 posts

122 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
Aonghus Anderson said:
I have absolutely 0 sympathy for pedestrians who feel the need to walk into the middle of a road and headbut my truck. I live and work in the countryside, I understand fitting a bullbar on a vehicle and then only using it in a city is asking for trouble, however regardless of having a bullbar or not, hitting a pedestrian with a truck is probably going to kill them anyway. I’ve always had bullbars on my vehicles and will always continue to do so, roads are for cars, not pedestrians. If I was fitting a bullbar to a mobility scooter I’d have a lot more consideration!
I’m assuming you are not from the UK, where pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders are in fact allowed to use roads and where we have no concept of jaywalking.


InitialDave

8,884 posts

87 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
warch said:
I’m assuming you are not from the UK, where pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders are in fact allowed to use roads and where we have no concept of jaywalking.
Aonghus Anderson said:
I used to live in Australia
The dashcam thread can offer further insight, I'm sure.

rxe

5,275 posts

71 months

Tuesday 27th April
quotequote all
No issues with insuring a Defender with a bloody great winch up front, sitting in a 5mm steel winch bumper. All declared.

Unless you are actually shoving cattle around, I don't see the point of a full on bull bar in the UK - just a load of weight on the front for no good reason.

cdrick4

100 posts

84 months

Thursday 15th July
quotequote all
For better front-end protection, consider getting a steel bumper.