2022 UK Targa/Road Rallying Thread

2022 UK Targa/Road Rallying Thread

Author
Discussion

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Thursday 3rd February
quotequote all
Let's have another one!

What are you all up to this year on the Targa / Road Rallying scene?

For me - I purchased the Mini that we used as course car on the Saltire and brought it south from Aberdeen to Carshalton. It's getting ready for the 2022 season, first event will be a 12 Car Rally (Basingstoke MC's Steve Partridge Memorial on 11th Feb) then hopefully the Harlequin 12 Car (Farnborough & DMC - 25th Feb) and Bramley Targa Rally (Farnborough & DMC - 13th March). After that, we shall see!



A small modification in the boot, so that I can carry 2 x full size spare wheels, but also quickly convert back into a child-friendly car.



And I've sourced a pair of classic Lucas 20-20 spotlamps, so I've making brackets to suit (cardboard mock up shown!).

Over to you!


velocemitch

3,581 posts

204 months

Sunday 6th February
quotequote all
Got plans for a more or less full season in the HRCR clubmans championship, probably miss the East Anglian and the Hughes and organising the Ilkley (no points for that anymore!).

Cars will be a variety, Renault 5 Gordini for the tour of Cheshire, then a Mk1 Astra for most of the others. Hopefully my own Alfa 2000GTV by October for the Dansport.

In addition I will do a few Road Rallies and Targa's, first up is the Hexham Historic in a Triumph 2000. I'd quite like to do the Berwick Classic too, but I'm not sure who with yet. Its a long time since I competed up there, 2010 I think?

Also plan to do some 12 Cars, did the De Lacy one last month and will probably do more of theirs as well as Malton's and maybe some of Ilkley's scatters.

The De Lacy 12 car was interesting, it turned in to a contest as to who could get held up the least at Level Crossings! I think they have realised now that its probably not a good idea routing it through too many busy level crossings!.

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Saturday 12th February
quotequote all
First 12 Car done!

First 6 sections no problems, dropped the odd minute here and there but otherwise fine.

Then the killer navigation - we couldn't solve one section and went OTL - so did 6 or 7 other crews so we don't feel bad.

The Mini was excellent, really enjoyed hustling it through the lanes.

Next up:

Farnborough & DMC's Harlequin 12 Car in 2 weeks - I've done that one before and it's a cracker.

Hopefully I'll have time to wire up the spotlights I have now mounted.


28hodge

42 posts

60 months

Tuesday 15th February
quotequote all
Had an 18month hiatus, as I would imagine have most, however hoping to get as many in this year as we can.

Spent the last year rebuilding this



















Was trying to get it all together and ready for the Devils Targa at Warcop in late Oct but just missed it, however we are up and running now and done my local 12 car end Jan (was a disaster but had my brother navving and he's not looked at a map since he did his DofE, hes 41!!)

Another 12car on the 24th and then got an entry for the Shaw trophy Targa on the 20th March which looks like it'll be good.

velocemitch

3,581 posts

204 months

Tuesday 15th February
quotequote all
Paint looks good, did you do it yourself ?

28hodge

42 posts

60 months

Tuesday 15th February
quotequote all
I did, never painted a car before and never used spray equipment, also didn't own a compressor or spray equipment until I needed to spray a car. Made some basic learning mistakes, but honestly i enjoyed doing it and happy with the results, though its far from a show finish, the pics are doing it a lot of favours,

Knowing what I was going to use it for and the possibility of it ending up the wrong side of a hedge, the prep was minimal.

Up close its Ok and no more

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Wednesday 16th February
quotequote all
It looks really good 28Hodge, Nice to see a 205 being used, I have got one tucked away in a warehouse waiting for ideas & inspiration.


Please let us know how your events go,

Thanks
Duncan


Ranger 6

6,752 posts

233 months

Wednesday 16th February
quotequote all
I don't have anything to add here (which makes it a rare occasion for a rallying thread) but please do keep the updates coming.

I live through some very dull Teams meetings reading threads like this smile

O/T - Mitch, are you out on the ERSR next week?

PaulV

257 posts

210 months

Wednesday 16th February
quotequote all
thepawbroon said:
Then the killer navigation - we couldn't solve one section and went OTL - so did 6 or 7 other crews so we don't feel bad.
That section caused everyone a headache, dropped some time on that one. Was a good event though.

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Wednesday 16th February
quotequote all
PaulV said:
That section caused everyone a headache, dropped some time on that one. Was a good event though.
Sure was!

My entry is in for the Harlequin 12 Car next Friday, taking a complete beginner as a Navigator - so marked maps to get him started.....


velocemitch

3,581 posts

204 months

Thursday 17th February
quotequote all
Ranger 6 said:
I don't have anything to add here (which makes it a rare occasion for a rallying thread) but please do keep the updates coming.

I live through some very dull Teams meetings reading threads like this smile

O/T - Mitch, are you out on the ERSR next week?
No I only do road events, never tried stages. Probably too old now to start.
Hexham Historic/John Robson for me this Saturday night.

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Monday 28th February
quotequote all
A successful 12 Car Rally (run by Farnborough & District Motor Club) on Friday evening, The Harlequin.

I took on board a complete beginner navigator, and FDMC's beginner class is a "marked-map" job. He did a great job, despite feeling a bit queasy we got round just dropping 15 mins (max lateness is 30 mins). We missed a few code boards, perhaps the odd wrong turn and maybe I drove right past some without spotting.....even so we were 2nd in the Beginner class and very happy.

There was lots of mud and standing water on the route, even though it was "all yellows". Remarkably good roads for navigational rallies down in the over-populated south, well done to the Route Liaison Officers for keeping the sport alive and the residents happy(we barely saw any non-rally traffic on the back roads).

A wee sample of the map handout and a gratuitous shot of the Mini at the finish pub!







Next up - Bramley Targa on 13th March.


velocemitch

3,581 posts

204 months

Monday 28th February
quotequote all
Nice clear marked map that, I wont ask what the time allowed was.....

Had a great run out on the Hexham Historic/John Robson Rally a couple of weekends back, all night Road Rally with 50 cars. I was in the Historic section in a Triumph 2000, after a superb tustle with a Volvo PV we came in first overall in the Historics and equivalent of 16th across the whole field, not bad against a field of mainly modern cars in a 50 year old saloon.

It was pretty intense stuff, the first section after Petrol, was plot and bash and timed at just under an hour, I wont tell you what distance it was!. Only one car cleaned it and they were 4 minutes ahead of anyone else. We dropped 13 minutes, passed about ten of the moderns in that section.

Tour of Cheshire next weekend in a Renault 5, daylight Historic, so a very different challenge.

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Monday 28th February
quotequote all
velocemitch said:
Nice clear marked map that, I wont ask what the time allowed was.....
All timed at exactly 30mph!

velocemitch said:
Had a great run out on the Hexham Historic/John Robson Rally a couple of weekends back, all night Road Rally with 50 cars. I was in the Historic section in a Triumph 2000, after a superb tustle with a Volvo PV we came in first overall in the Historics and equivalent of 16th across the whole field, not bad against a field of mainly modern cars in a 50 year old saloon.

It was pretty intense stuff, the first section after Petrol, was plot and bash and timed at just under an hour, I wont tell you what distance it was!. Only one car cleaned it and they were 4 minutes ahead of anyone else. We dropped 13 minutes, passed about ten of the moderns in that section.

Tour of Cheshire next weekend in a Renault 5, daylight Historic, so a very different challenge.
Well done, that's a great result.

Was the hour long P&B section a continuous section for that length? Was it regularity? Cheers

velocemitch

3,581 posts

204 months

Monday 28th February
quotequote all
thepawbroon said:
velocemitch said:
Nice clear marked map that, I wont ask what the time allowed was.....
All timed at exactly 30mph!

velocemitch said:
Had a great run out on the Hexham Historic/John Robson Rally a couple of weekends back, all night Road Rally with 50 cars. I was in the Historic section in a Triumph 2000, after a superb tustle with a Volvo PV we came in first overall in the Historics and equivalent of 16th across the whole field, not bad against a field of mainly modern cars in a 50 year old saloon.

It was pretty intense stuff, the first section after Petrol, was plot and bash and timed at just under an hour, I wont tell you what distance it was!. Only one car cleaned it and they were 4 minutes ahead of anyone else. We dropped 13 minutes, passed about ten of the moderns in that section.

Tour of Cheshire next weekend in a Renault 5, daylight Historic, so a very different challenge.
Well done, that's a great result.

Was the hour long P&B section a continuous section for that length? Was it regularity? Cheers
Yes continuous, apart from about 4miles where we took it steady as I got ahead on the map, the rest of it we left nothing on the table...... just one annoying wrong slot, which cost us a couple of minutes.

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Monday 14th March
quotequote all
We competed on the Bramley Targa Rally yesterday, organised (excellently) by Farnborough & DMC. This comprised 6 tests of approx 1.6 miles each, round Bramley Camp (Army training area in Hampshire). The road surface was a mix of tarmac, concrete, mud, moss, leaves, puddles etc - a real challenge. I struggled to get used to the Mini's handling on the variable grip, so I suffered quite a fews spins, overshoots and hit a few cones.

Nevertheless, we had a wonderful time!



Some more pics in here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334976716911168/pe...

Kevin7653

4 posts

9 months

Monday 14th March
quotequote all
Was wondering if anyone can tell me the rules on targa cars regarding stickers that aren't advertising? For example say on these 2 what's allowed and what's not



Edited by Kevin7653 on Monday 14th March 11:30


Edited by Kevin7653 on Monday 14th March 11:31

thepawbroon

Original Poster:

960 posts

168 months

Monday 14th March
quotequote all
Kevin7653 said:
Was wondering if anyone can tell me the rules on targa cars regarding stickers that aren't advertising? For example say on these 2 what's allowed and what's not
Well......

The stripes etc on both cars are permitted as long as it's day time (Blue Book R.18.6.6 )

As for signwriting - R.18.6.6. also defines the amount of advertising permitted on Targa Road Rallies in daytime to be 1250 sq.cm in total.

I would say it's down to the judgement of the scrutineer to define what is advertising and what isn't. My opinion would be that makes & model names are OK, but company names (e.g. DTV, fordrallyesport) might not be.

For other technical reasons, the Chevette might not be permitted, I *think* it would have to be in the road-going spec (or which only a few HSRs were made), and only be allowed if the event had a parallel Historic permit - because it's a twin cam / 16v / 2 x twin 48carbs and they ain't allowed on Targa rallies.

Kevin7653

4 posts

9 months

Monday 14th March
quotequote all
Thanks pawbroon brilliant info I was using the chevette just as a example of just clean stickers and no advertising apart from the dtv compared to the fordrallyesport on the puma

velocemitch

3,581 posts

204 months

Monday 14th March
quotequote all
Pawnbroom is correct, also the Chevette would fail on the arches as the cars have to retain the original silhouette as well as all internal trim.