A very English scandal - Jeremy Thorpe

A very English scandal - Jeremy Thorpe

Author
Discussion

Halmyre

6,754 posts

76 months

Friday 25th May 2018
quotequote all
Honk said:
The Don of Croy said:
Late to the party but another positive review for Hugh Grant - great part for him.

When the story was all over the papers I remember 'pillow-biter' entering the school phrase book pretty much the next day. Looking forward to the next epi.
I recall "Scott of the arse antics" in use.
and "Vote Liberal or we'll shoot your dog".

pitboard

182 posts

47 months

Friday 25th May 2018
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
Honk said:
The Don of Croy said:
Late to the party but another positive review for Hugh Grant - great part for him.

When the story was all over the papers I remember 'pillow-biter' entering the school phrase book pretty much the next day. Looking forward to the next epi.
I recall "Scott of the arse antics" in use.
and "Vote Liberal or we'll shoot your dog".
And;
"How do you know that Jeremy Thorpe is a Star Trek fan?"
"He always asks for more thrust from Scotty"

coppice

4,922 posts

81 months

Friday 25th May 2018
quotequote all
It's all coming back- vote Liberal and widen your social circle etc. If nothing else it shows how times have changed and we no longer need to make cringing jokes about gay folk . Which we probably did to camouflage our own insecurities anyway .

cmsapms

638 posts

181 months

Friday 25th May 2018
quotequote all
I remember a comment of the time (or soon after) along the lines of "he bit the pillow? B*gger was lucky it wasn't Cyril Smith, he'd have swallowed the mattress!"

Cyril Smith; a whole other tale from the liberal neck of the woods.

Dr Jekyll

15,966 posts

198 months

Saturday 26th May 2018
quotequote all
According to Wikipedia, the 8th Earl of Arran, 'Boofy' whose support for legalising homosexuality features in the programme was asked why this campaign succeeded but his campaign to protect badgers failed. 'No badgers in the house of Lords' he explained.
Advertisement

pitboard

182 posts

47 months

Saturday 26th May 2018
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
Honk said:
The Don of Croy said:
Late to the party but another positive review for Hugh Grant - great part for him.

When the story was all over the papers I remember 'pillow-biter' entering the school phrase book pretty much the next day. Looking forward to the next epi.
I recall "Scott of the arse antics" in use.
and "Vote Liberal or we'll shoot your dog".
And;
"How do you know that Jeremy Thorpe is a Star Trek fan?"
"He always asks for more thrust from Scotty"

Dr Jekyll

15,966 posts

198 months

Saturday 26th May 2018
quotequote all
pitboard said:
Halmyre said:
Honk said:
The Don of Croy said:
Late to the party but another positive review for Hugh Grant - great part for him.

When the story was all over the papers I remember 'pillow-biter' entering the school phrase book pretty much the next day. Looking forward to the next epi.
I recall "Scott of the arse antics" in use.
and "Vote Liberal or we'll shoot your dog".
And;
"How do you know that Jeremy Thorpe is a Star Trek fan?"
"He always asks for more thrust from Scotty"
I remember 'The Fairy liquidiser'.

Dr Jekyll

15,966 posts

198 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
Really enjoyable last night. Don't know how accurate the details were but the gist seems right and something a fiction writer couldn't get away with.

irocfan

17,939 posts

127 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
coppice said:
Which we probably did to camouflage our own insecurities anyway.
really?

Grandad Gaz

4,544 posts

183 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
He couldn't have been that bad. After all, he drove a Triumph Stag!

Halmyre

6,754 posts

76 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
Grandad Gaz said:
He couldn't have been that bad. After all, he drove a Triumph Stag!
Thus confirming all suspicions. hehe

nonsequitur

7,201 posts

53 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
moffspeed said:
Enjoyed it..but as this is PH..surely Thorpe’s 1965 Rover P5 shouldn’t have been wearing Rostyle wheels ??

I’m no Roverist but as far as I can make out these came along with the rather wonderful Buick engined P5B that rumbled in during 1967 ??
A ' Routemaster Moment ', there is always one, or more, in every series that is set in the past. First seen in the TV letters pages with concerned citizens decrying the fact that said buses ' were not around when this series is set ' or similar. It has now taken on a life of it's own with correspondants pointing out the minutest of errors. ' Brown shoelaces, in the sixties?, never!

ClaphamGT3

7,077 posts

180 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
Grandad Gaz said:
He couldn't have been that bad. After all, he drove a Triumph Stag!
Thorpe actually drove a succession of Rovers, usually white. At the time of his trial he had an 'L' reg 3500S

Grandad Gaz

4,544 posts

183 months

Monday 28th May 2018
quotequote all
ClaphamGT3 said:
Grandad Gaz said:
He couldn't have been that bad. After all, he drove a Triumph Stag!
Thorpe actually drove a succession of Rovers, usually white. At the time of his trial he had an 'L' reg 3500S
So, the BBC got it wrong last night, then?

The Don of Croy

4,673 posts

96 months

Tuesday 29th May 2018
quotequote all
The antics surrounding the 'hitman' were hilarious - didn't the Liberals have access to SBS Paddy 'Pantsdown' in that period?

The cast list is getting longer - chock full of talent. A treat. Really looking forward to the finale - no spoilers please.

desolate

15,706 posts

165 months

Tuesday 29th May 2018
quotequote all
The Don of Croy said:
The antics surrounding the 'hitman' were hilarious - didn't the Liberals have access to SBS Paddy 'Pantsdown' in that period?

The cast list is getting longer - chock full of talent. A treat. Really looking forward to the finale - no spoilers please.
Surely a bit difficult to have a spoiler when it's based on reality?

gooner1

4,610 posts

116 months

Tuesday 29th May 2018
quotequote all
desolate said:
Surely a bit difficult to have a spoiler when it's based on reality?
Not really.
Admittedly most people of a certain age will know the outcome, a lot of younger
ones may not.

I for one was not aware of every facet of this case.

ClaphamGT3

7,077 posts

180 months

Tuesday 29th May 2018
quotequote all
gooner1 said:
desolate said:
Surely a bit difficult to have a spoiler when it's based on reality?
Not really.
Admittedly most people of a certain age will know the outcome, a lot of younger
ones may not.

I for one was not aware of every facet of this case.
Its general knowledge ffs......

gooner1

4,610 posts

116 months

Tuesday 29th May 2018
quotequote all
ClaphamGT3 said:
Its general knowledge ffs......
It's generally available knowledge, which doesn't mean every man and
his fking dog knows everything about the case ffs

The program itself would be a waste of time making, if everybody
had such intimate knowledge as you appear to have, wouldn't it.






MYOB

2,308 posts

75 months

Tuesday 29th May 2018
quotequote all
ClaphamGT3 said:
gooner1 said:
desolate said:
Surely a bit difficult to have a spoiler when it's based on reality?
Not really.
Admittedly most people of a certain age will know the outcome, a lot of younger
ones may not.

I for one was not aware of every facet of this case.
Its general knowledge ffs......
Not to those who were born during or after the events.