Battlebots 2019

Author
Discussion

defblade

5,276 posts

158 months

Saturday 20th July
quotequote all
Loved the final fight. Fairly sure they managed to get a 10 sec countdown into about 8 secs, but can't really hold it against them. Ray showing he's a really good sport again smile

Some Gump

11,018 posts

131 months

Saturday 20th July
quotequote all
Some great battles in 7. Nearly as good as 5.
Particularly enjoyed the fire. How do they keep going?

hairykrishna

11,002 posts

148 months

Saturday 20th July
quotequote all
Great episode again. Cobalt's a monster - surely a contender to win the whole thing. I'm hoping it and duck both make the final 16 and we get an epic rematch.

Both judges decisions a bit questionable but with no real damage it can always go both ways.

defblade

5,276 posts

158 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Some Gump said:
Particularly enjoyed the fire. How do they keep going?
They were saying the fire was in the weapon's battery pack, so the movement battery pack/wiring/etc was OK for most of the rest of the match, but burnt through/caught fire itself eventually.

Some Gump

11,018 posts

131 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Oh i get that, but there was some.serious flame and presumably heat all through the frame - must use some sort of special insulation on the wiring because normal wires would have shorted in seconds, not a minute and a half!

FourWheelDrift

77,815 posts

229 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
There's good and bad in that defeat, the good that he can be defeated, the bad you know he will find out what caused it, fix it and not lose that way again.

ajprice

Original Poster:

16,419 posts

141 months

Tuesday 23rd July
quotequote all
It was a good one again this week, the main event was brilliant.

FourWheelDrift said:
There's good and bad in that defeat, the good that he can be defeated, the bad you know he will find out what caused it, fix it and not lose that way again.
He also has multiple replacements for all the parts, so killing that one just means the next fight will effectively be a new robot, not a repaired one like some of the others would have to do.

I don't see the point of Tantrum's 'punching spinner', they would have something more effective with a bigger static spinner in the front position where the punch moves it to now. Keep the wedge plates and it would work a bit like Cobalt, driving under robots and feeding them into the weapon.

Duck and Blacksmith aren't going to win judges decisions with the robots they've got. Without a decent weapon (Blacksmith's hammer looks cool but doesn't really do much) they lose out on damage every time.


A little bit off topic, there's a robot fighting PC game on Steam called Robot Champions, its a free demo at the moment because it's an alpha version. It has a few different design robots (spinner, flipper, hammer, pusher) and some different arenas with different hazards. As it develops its supposed to be getting a robot builder, and the damage models etc will be getting better. Its arcade, a bit of a Rocket League thing going on, it looks fun though, and it's free for now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016830/Robot_C...

MikeyC

582 posts

172 months

Wednesday 24th July
quotequote all
ajprice said:
It was a good one again this week, the main event was brilliant.
I don't see the point of Tantrum's 'punching spinner', they would have something more effective with a bigger static spinner in the front position where the punch moves it to now. Keep the wedge plates and it would work a bit like Cobalt, driving under robots and feeding them into the weapon.
Watched it last night

Agreed, for the extra complexity involved Tantrum didn't have any real benefits over a standard one.
I thought it might help launch the other bot in the air more but really didn't, as you say, needs a re-think!

ajprice said:
Duck and Blacksmith aren't going to win judges decisions with the robots they've got. Without a decent weapon (Blacksmith's hammer looks cool but doesn't really do much) they lose out on damage every time.
I love Duck, fantastic design, but as you say, no real offensive weapon so can usually only win if the other bot breaks/fails

Regarding axe bots, yeah, they look cool (flaming ones!) but, has there ever been a sucessful ax-bot ? I don't think so!
However, it would be quite boring having all the same type, but in reality they'll always struggle to win if it goes to a judges decision

What I find surprising is that so far, there hasn't been any design emulating 'Chaos 2' from Robotwars of yore.
I think it would still be a sucessfull style of bot

This series has been fantastic so far, lots of very comptetitive bots - kicks 'Robotwars' for 6 !

ajprice

Original Poster:

16,419 posts

141 months

Wednesday 24th July
quotequote all
MikeyC said:
What I find surprising is that so far, there hasn't been any design emulating 'Chaos 2' from Robotwars of yore.
I think it would still be a sucessfull style of bot
Maybe the next series?...

hairykrishna

11,002 posts

148 months

Wednesday 24th July
quotequote all
ajprice said:
He also has multiple replacements for all the parts, so killing that one just means the next fight will effectively be a new robot, not a repaired one like some of the others would have to do.
Some of the teams have taken this to extremes. Duck, Bronco, Lockjaw, Biteforce and probably some of the others had complete second robots ready to go. Good job too - apparently Cobalt managed to twist the entire chassis of Duck during their crazy match. Given that Ducks chassis is machined from a single 6061 aluminium billet and it's thinnest section is 2 inches that's fairly impressive...


hairykrishna

11,002 posts

148 months

Wednesday 24th July
quotequote all
ajprice said:
MikeyC said:
What I find surprising is that so far, there hasn't been any design emulating 'Chaos 2' from Robotwars of yore.
I think it would still be a sucessfull style of bot
Maybe the next series?...
They've traditionally dismissed applications from wedge flippers like Apollo. Be nice if they let them in, although I think it'd get it's arse handed to it.

Desperado tournament this week, should be great. I'm half hoping that Minataur get their weapon working as intended and it's just a episode of them laying waste to the whole field.

Some Gump

11,018 posts

131 months

Thursday 25th July
quotequote all
Be great to see apollo in, but imo their design will fall very very wide quickly to SOW, tombstone, et all unless they add side wedges.

RogerDodger

1,300 posts

39 months

Thursday 25th July
quotequote all
ajprice said:
I don't see the point of Tantrum's 'punching spinner', they would have something more effective with a bigger static spinner in the front position where the punch moves it to now. Keep the wedge plates and it would work a bit like Cobalt, driving under robots and feeding them into the weapon.
I kind of though the same but it was nibbling away at the competition, and it certainly had a hand in flipping it's opponent. The beauty of it is it can retract out of the way of horizontal spinners, protecting itself, then deploy at the right time. The actual "punching" element seemed irrelivent. More "retracting"

ajprice

Original Poster:

16,419 posts

141 months

Thursday 25th July
quotequote all
Desperado

MikeyC

582 posts

172 months

Thursday 25th July
quotequote all
hairykrishna said:
ajprice said:
MikeyC said:
What I find surprising is that so far, there hasn't been any design emulating 'Chaos 2' from Robotwars of yore.
I think it would still be a sucessfull style of bot
Maybe the next series?...
They've traditionally dismissed applications from wedge flippers like Apollo. Be nice if they let them in, although I think it'd get it's arse handed to it.
Ah OK,would explain why
How well it would do, who can say - certainly things have moved on a bit since then
Would easily deal with most ax-bot types tho'

ajprice said:
Desperado
Minotaur - Ouch !
Will they be lucky against 'Lucky' ? hehe

In reality, would expect it to be between Minotaur & End Game, except they're in the same half!
Can't really remember much about Black Dragon or War Hawk ....

Some Gump

11,018 posts

131 months

Thursday 25th July
quotequote all
IMO that's going to go to End Game.
Would be mino if they had last years bot but this years one was flawed.

hairykrishna

11,002 posts

148 months

Thursday 25th July
quotequote all
I'm surprised they let Ragnarok in. It's done bugger all so far. I reckon Minotaur if it works. End game if it doesn't. Capt Shred might be a dark horse though - they did really well in one of the Chinese competitions but just seem to break down randomly in BattleBots.

AlexS

1,327 posts

177 months

Saturday 27th July
quotequote all
hairykrishna said:
I'm surprised they let Ragnarok in. It's done bugger all so far. I reckon Minotaur if it works. End game if it doesn't. Capt Shred might be a dark horse though - they did really well in one of the Chinese competitions but just seem to break down randomly in BattleBots.
That's why they've entered the Desperado Tournament.

The Tournament is now available.

Some Gump

11,018 posts

131 months

Saturday 27th July
quotequote all
That was really good!
Loved the last battle.

hairykrishna

11,002 posts

148 months

Sunday 28th July
quotequote all
AlexS said:
That's why they've entered the Desperado Tournament.

The Tournament is now available.
I meant let them into the desparado - they had to turn some teams down last year. I'd be well pissed off if I was the Lucky team. Ragnarok should have been 8th seed and fed to Minotaur.

Top quality episode. The final was an amazing fight.