Automotive Vloggers (Vol. 4)

Automotive Vloggers (Vol. 4)

Author
Discussion

Bathroom_Security

2,225 posts

81 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
MisterBigglesworth said:
Build a platform of impressionable young punters who think you are their aspirational role model / mate.
Build trust by making them think you are some altruistic passionate members of their community
Get a bunch of white label commodity product providers who drop ship, or build courses, vapourware, etc. Throw up a squarespace store front with no identification beyond the brand name with payments handled by a us processor third party like stripe and revenue piped into an offshore bank account
Create a expensive looking packaging / brand around a cheap product & Drop’ your product in limited batches to promote FOMO and artificial hype to cover the fact you are extracting an extortionate rent, promote a groupthink mentality amongst your inner tribe who bully anyone who questions your rip off antics.
Increase the ‘drop’s to cash in on the artificial demand and soak as much revenue out of it as possible.
Rinse & repeat

These guys are all following the same playbook promoted by the ‘marketing’ courses gurus. They aren’t business geniuses they are simply the modern day salesman selling st at a premium covered in glitter & patter.

In terms of profitability of this model then do the math - if you run a retail unit on most highstreets you are in for 100k plus in rent and overheads vs a 25 quid website. 25k in and 3k a month Aventador starts to look cheap vs a quarters rent deposit, a quarter rent up front, legal fees, fit out costs and the need to account for VAT and tax....
Fair enough, I always said DMO wasnt stupid, just cant stand how he drives on a public road

I didn't realise there was so much money to be made. Personally I dont have the heart to follow a sales tactic, nor do I have the personality or desire to create a 'brand' like his/theirs








CooperS

4,239 posts

183 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
MisterBigglesworth said:
Build a platform of impressionable young punters who think you are their aspirational role model / mate.
Build trust by making them think you are some altruistic passionate members of their community
Get a bunch of white label commodity product providers who drop ship, or build courses, vapourware, etc. Throw up a squarespace store front with no identification beyond the brand name with payments handled by a us processor third party like stripe and revenue piped into an offshore bank account
Create a expensive looking packaging / brand around a cheap product & Drop’ your product in limited batches to promote FOMO and artificial hype to cover the fact you are extracting an extortionate rent, promote a groupthink mentality amongst your inner tribe who bully anyone who questions your rip off antics.
Increase the ‘drop’s to cash in on the artificial demand and soak as much revenue out of it as possible.
Rinse & repeat

These guys are all following the same playbook promoted by the ‘marketing’ courses gurus. They aren’t business geniuses they are simply the modern day salesman selling st at a premium covered in glitter & patter.

In terms of profitability of this model then do the math - if you run a retail unit on most highstreets you are in for 100k plus in rent and overheads vs a 25 quid website. 25k in and 3k a month Aventador starts to look cheap vs a quarters rent deposit, a quarter rent up front, legal fees, fit out costs and the need to account for VAT and tax....
I like this post.

A bit like when the old rinse and repeat process of UK Car YouTubers was written down i.e. what car to buy, bought the car, first drive, 5 things love/hate, should I sell, why it had to go and what it cost me then back to the start.

The new process appears be far less clean and appears to me far more disingenuous. Integrating a Instagram business model of exploiting fan base once built and building a culture to keep that branding alive.


Davey S2

12,555 posts

218 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Lord_Howit_Hertz said:
SVJBalboni said:
You don't daily drive SV's and SVJ's unless you're Rana and you don't give a F about resale.
What's the story with this Rana guy? Apologies if its been covered before, but recently he crops up when watching Youtube and seems to be buying cars daily, he must have (as well as the two SV's) 3 Merc AMG GT R's, Bentley, Merc Jeeps, he seems to constantly be unveiling cars?

I did try a little googling about him, and there was some chat a year or two back about a big Euro Millions win?

I'm not being nosey, just curious to see if there is a story out there that's all.
I thought he was a member of the multi billionaire Hinduja family.

honda_exige

2,641 posts

170 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
CooperS said:
I like this post.

A bit like when the old rinse and repeat process of UK Car YouTubers was written down i.e. what car to buy, bought the car, first drive, 5 things love/hate, should I sell, why it had to go and what it cost me then back to the start.

The new process appears be far less clean and appears to me far more disingenuous. Integrating a Instagram business model of exploiting fan base once built and building a culture to keep that branding alive.
Same as TGE and Crepe Chief.

I think it's the only way to make good money for the UK channels, the viewer numbers aren't there compared to the USA, apart from Shmee who got in early enough to be international.

For eg JWW pulls 1.5 mil views a month.

WhistlinDiesel in the US pulls 31 million a month.

Different planet.

jon-

16,155 posts

180 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
honda_exige said:
Same as TGE and Crepe Chief.

I think it's the only way to make good money for the UK channels, the viewer numbers aren't there compared to the USA, apart from Shmee who got in early enough to be international.

For eg JWW pulls 1.5 mil views a month.

WhistlinDiesel in the US pulls 31 million a month.

Different planet.
It's not just numbers. MY CPM from US viewers is over $12, and less than $6 for my UK viewers. That means a view from an American earns me over TWICE that of a UK viewer.

It's no surprise the US guys seem to be much more cash rich. Plus americans get behind merch etc way more than we do!

TDowney2394

342 posts

89 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
jon- said:
honda_exige said:
Same as TGE and Crepe Chief.

I think it's the only way to make good money for the UK channels, the viewer numbers aren't there compared to the USA, apart from Shmee who got in early enough to be international.

For eg JWW pulls 1.5 mil views a month.

WhistlinDiesel in the US pulls 31 million a month.

Different planet.
It's not just numbers. MY CPM from US viewers is over $12, and less than $6 for my UK viewers. That means a view from an American earns me over TWICE that of a UK viewer.

It's no surprise the US guys seem to be much more cash rich. Plus americans get behind merch etc way more than we do!
Looks like I need to VPN to the US to watch YouTube from now on then! Mind you I have YT Premium so I don’t know if that will affect it

Toaster Pilot

13,546 posts

122 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
TDowney2394 said:
Looks like I need to VPN to the US to watch YouTube from now on then! Mind you I have YT Premium so I don’t know if that will affect it
scratchchin

Do a sponsored video with NordVPN convincing subscribers to take out a plan with them

Get them to watch “from” the US using the discounted VPN you got paid to promote

?????

Profit!

DonBarracuda

349 posts

6 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
TDowney2394 said:
Looks like I need to VPN to the US to watch YouTube from now on then! Mind you I have YT Premium so I don’t know if that will affect it
Sorry you've lost me why would you need a VPN?

TheAngryDog

10,811 posts

173 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
DonBarracuda said:
TDowney2394 said:
Looks like I need to VPN to the US to watch YouTube from now on then! Mind you I have YT Premium so I don’t know if that will affect it
Sorry you've lost me why would you need a VPN?
Using a VPN can change the "location" you're browsing from. So if you use a VPN and it shows you're from the USA, then technically any videos you watch will have been watched from someone in the USA, thus increasing the CPM return.

honda_exige

2,641 posts

170 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
LLF Ricky doing 56mph down a high street, sigh.

It's been said before but again Joe Achilles got fked on a country road and banned by counting trees to work out speed but here the police have a clear speedo and I bet nothing will happen.


DomesticM

223 posts

38 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
The police must of really had it out for Joe considering the effort they put into working out his speed meanwhile these imbeciles race around the street causing danger to innocent people. We all love a good hoon but there's a time and place and certainly limits.

jon-

16,155 posts

180 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Derbyshire police have a reputation. Remember those girls who were all over the news because a police force surrounded the cars and gave them a lot of crap for going for a walk? That was also Derbyshire.

Hippea

513 posts

33 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Did Joe actually get banned for speeding from that?

Shrimpvende

529 posts

56 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jon- said:
Derbyshire police have a reputation. Remember those girls who were all over the news because a police force surrounded the cars and gave them a lot of crap for going for a walk? That was also Derbyshire.
As a resident - can confirm. They're also the force that have been camping outside local parks and recreation spaces around the city and turning people away up until recently.

This gem was also them https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/d...

jon-

16,155 posts

180 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Hippea said:
Did Joe actually get banned for speeding from that?
No, he got a bunch of points. Derbyshire police spent a stupid amount of money on the hunt, it was terrible use of tax.

honda_exige

2,641 posts

170 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jon- said:
Hippea said:
Did Joe actually get banned for speeding from that?
No, he got a bunch of points. Derbyshire police spent a stupid amount of money on the hunt, it was terrible use of tax.
Ahh yes my mistake, arguably that's even worse in terms of wasted time by the police then. DMO at 200mph on the Motorway the other month would be deep into a custodial sentence.

jon-

16,155 posts

180 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Joe is a really good lad, he admits he was stupid to do that but he's definitely not the worst. There's lot of people pushing it a little, there's even sliding around on public roads in the pistonhead videos, but the two main characters above seem to be above the law and it's confusing how they've not got in trouble with all the self incrimination.


egor110

14,038 posts

167 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jon- said:
Joe is a really good lad, he admits he was stupid to do that but he's definitely not the worst. There's lot of people pushing it a little, there's even sliding around on public roads in the pistonhead videos, but the two main characters above seem to be above the law and it's confusing how they've not got in trouble with all the self incrimination.
Maybe it's as simple as nobody's actually made a official complaint and attached the video link /screen grab .

Bathroom_Security

2,225 posts

81 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
honda_exige said:
Ahh yes my mistake, arguably that's even worse in terms of wasted time by the police then. DMO at 200mph on the Motorway the other month would be deep into a custodial sentence.
Do you think that's the key to immunity then, commit offenses that carry such a severe punishment it would cost too much money to prosecute therefore become immune

I am convinced its a racism thing as well

egor110 said:
Maybe it's as simple as nobody's actually made a official complaint and attached the video link /screen grab .
Was going to look into this and try work out who their local force is

jon-

16,155 posts

180 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
egor110 said:
Maybe it's as simple as nobody's actually made a official complaint and attached the video link /screen grab .
I can't believe that no one on this thread hasn't made a complaint, plenty of people seem to get really (overly) worked up about it.