Wheels and Tyres yet again

Wheels and Tyres yet again

Author
Discussion

RedFI

Original Poster:

66 posts

55 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
Hi All

I know its been discussed to death but things move on so looking for latest thoughts.

In need of info/feedback before committing to a new set of wheels and tyres.

Currently running Toyo T1R in 225/50-15 front and 245/45-16 rear but so slippery now it is cold and damp that I've switched to my track day tyres Kumho V70A in same sizes.

Both are less than comfortable and as many have said the Toyo is now an old design so looking to change to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 which means a wheel change so any opinions on the following possibilities.

Front - 215/45-17 87Y or 225/45-17 91Y

Rear - 235/40-18 91Y or 245/40-18 93Y or 245/45-17 95Y

Looking to maximise comfort and stability over outright performance as I shall be keeping the V70As for that.

Tyre appears to be similar to the RS3 so any experience with that would be of help.

Thanks in advance

magpies

4,139 posts

130 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
Hi what width are your wheels?

I have 7" x 17's with (currently) same as you T1R's 215F and 225R

as the 7"ers can take no more than a 225 I'm looking at RainSort3 or Assymetric 5 or similar.

Knowing the RS3's 'only' last about 10k that is still 3 years worth and a reasonable price, they bar the favourites for me.

fieryfred

72 posts

29 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
I am no tyre expert & only have a 400 but i have driven on snow & ice & flooded roads on RS3 & have never had a wet bum moment.
The wheels are 215/45 R17 & 245/40 R17.
There may be a better tyre but i am happy with the grip & ride summer & winter.
Some one who has tried others recently may advise on there findings.

QBee

17,091 posts

92 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
magpies said:
Hi what width are your wheels?

I have 7" x 17's with (currently) same as you T1R's 215F and 225R

as the 7"ers can take no more than a 225 I'm looking at RainSort3 or Assymetric 5 or similar.

Knowing the RS3's 'only' last about 10k that is still 3 years worth and a reasonable price, they bar the favourites for me.
RS3s lasted 21,000 miles on the front of my Saab and 28,000 on the rear. The Chimaera is a lot lighter, so i am surprised you think they only last 10,000 miles, but willing to be corrected.

Ken, your T1Rs are possibly well past their sell by date - can you find the date codes on them? four digits in an oblong, for example 4306 means made in week 43 (late October) of 2006, so 7 years older than is safe, as tyres have a 6 year life. Because of low mileages, some Chims are still on the tyres on which they came out of the factory, back when Ned was still modelling the front end.

Finally, I have a set of RS3s on 17 inch wheels that are not presently on my car, so available for you to try on your car if you want to test how they perform. I am near Newark. Let me know. They aren't for sale, but available for trial.

RedFI

Original Poster:

66 posts

55 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
Looking to buy new wheels so will probably go with 7" front 8" rear. Current wheels are bog standard 15" and !6".

Any thoughts on tramlining with any of these sizes?

RedFI

Original Poster:

66 posts

55 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
Hi Anthony

That's a great offer and would certainly help in decision making.

I'm in Kenilworth so about 1h15 from you. I will have a look at schedule and weather forecast and PM you to see when you are free.

Toyos are about 4 years old with not a lot of wear.

Classic Chim

9,589 posts

97 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
215/45/17 87Y are perfect for the fronts using RS3 as I have those very tyres. Unless you are doing 150mph + on a regular basis I think the 87Y is a stroke of genius. Removes virtually all steering bounce and road shudder and grip like something stuck to a blanket
I’d not go any wider for tram lining and rubbing issues on full lock.

RedFI

Original Poster:

66 posts

55 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
Hi Alun

Yes, I was thinking along those lines, what are you running on the rears?

Classic Chim

9,589 posts

97 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
235/45/17 but my wheels are 7.5 allround. Max width I can dare on the rears. They look and fit spot on to me.
I think these are the same size as Anthony’s running 17’ wheels

I’m local and only in Rugby but cars off the road or you could gladly have tried them.

I’ve had 17 in rims for years, pretty naff on old tyres, transformed on these bigger tyres that are inherently softer. RS3 Rock thumbup

magpies

4,139 posts

130 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
QBee said:
RS3s lasted 21,000 miles on the front of my Saab and 28,000 on the rear. The Chimaera is a lot lighter, so i am surprised you think they only last 10,000 miles, but willing to be corrected.

.
Hi QBee
I've had RS3's on my chipped BMW 3 series Touring and on the wifes Freelander - both lasted 10 to 12k but cars are WAY heavier. Great tyres though and probably the ones to replace the current T1Rs on my TVR - S Series in process of gaining a 260bhp ish Jag 3.0 which is also 60kg lighter than the Ford 2.9

Classic Chim

9,589 posts

97 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
magpies said:
Hi QBee
I've had RS3's on my chipped BMW 3 series Touring and on the wifes Freelander - both lasted 10 to 12k but cars are WAY heavier. Great tyres though and probably the ones to replace the current T1Rs on my TVR - S Series in process of gaining a 260bhp ish Jag 3.0 which is also 60kg lighter than the Ford 2.9
Slow in fast out will get you slightly more miles rofl
I can’t wait for this S to be up and running, your totally mad, it’s brilliant thumbup

QBee

17,091 posts

92 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Classic Chim said:
235/45/17 but my wheels are 7.5 allround. Max width I can dare on the rears. They look and fit spot on to me.
I think these are the same size as Anthony’s running 17’ wheels

I’m local and only in Rugby but cars off the road or you could gladly have tried them.

I’ve had 17 in rims for years, pretty naff on old tyres, transformed on these bigger tyres that are inherently softer. RS3 Rock thumbup
He's right, I too have 215/45 17 front and 235/45 17 rear. My wheels are 7J, and the tyres fit no problem.

From Kenilworth it's a doddle to get to mine, dual carriageway virtually all the way.
That will enable you to try them on your car and see what you think before you invest in your own set.

Sorry mine aren't for sale, but they're the only road legal set I have apart from my Toyo R888Rs, and I have them for track use.
Yes, I know you can run them on the road, I have done so, but the Rainsports are a far better all round road tyre.

I am usually around every day except Mondays, you can get to me via Facebook Messenger to arrange.

RedFI

Original Poster:

66 posts

55 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Hi Anthony

Sounds like a plan - I am away next week but will contact you on my return to arrange a date.

It will have to be via email as I have no knowledge of this face ache thing (need a younger man to interpret)

Thanks for the offer and I will be in touch.