Is anyone moving now?

Is anyone moving now?

Author
Discussion

AlmostUseful

3,019 posts

164 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
tuffer said:
Cheers everyone, this morning I am mostly shopping for .......... Lawnmowers.
Get some that go “baa” rather than “vroom” and you can just watch the grass stay short from your nice house.

parakitaMol.

11,595 posts

215 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
tuffer said:
And we are in......Happy Days.

OMG what a fab house and location! congratulations! Really pleased for you smile


Mr Whippy

23,604 posts

205 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
parakitaMol. said:
tuffer said:
And we are in......Happy Days.

OMG what a fab house and location! congratulations! Really pleased for you smile
Yep deffo one for sheep!

Trying to keep that looking grazed but with a sit on mower is 1/7th of your time during summer for the rest of your life gone hehe

The_Doc

4,106 posts

184 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
I'm buying something with that order of magnitude grass/garden, but I'll be getting the farmer to go over it a few times a year with the flail topper.
That's how you cut a lot of grass.

parakitaMol.

11,595 posts

215 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
The_Doc said:
I'm buying something with that order of magnitude grass/garden, but I'll be getting the farmer to go over it a few times a year with the flail topper.
That's how you cut a lot of grass.
Ha ha - yep I agree with that, we are buying 10 acres - (and trying to get the 15 next door) and I've asked the seller for details of local farmers to harrow and top the paddocks. I am not doing it myself.

The OH on the other hand, sees it as an opportunity to buy more vehicles to pimp up.

Jakg

2,660 posts

132 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Wasn't looking to move, with a new baby we thought it'd be the last things on our minds, but things have been going better than we thought, and we realised we've outgrown our current house.

Found somewhere we liked at the end of January, but were not on the market so were a bit stuck.
A mental week later, were on the market and made an offer which has been accepted.
The next day we have our first viewing, and an offer on our place.

We budgeted for stamp duty (£11k!) but at the time it was possible to complete before the end of March, which would be a big win for us.
Were using the same agent for both transactions.

The good:
The place were buying wasn't on the open market (there's a story there I'm sure), and despite being (we think) very well priced we managed to get a chunk off.
We've got full asking for our place - and that price was a bit above what we wanted to factor in negotiations
We are in the middle of a chain of three.
Moving from spannering on the drive, to a double garage (!).

The bad:
We've used the conveyancers before, but they don't appear to have moved with the times - everything must be on paper.
Were tied to our lender so can only get a mortgage on an "advised" basis - lots of long phone calls.
The sellers have been a bit slow - I suspect a divorce, but as above there's something going on.
The agent told us the buyers were keen to progress, but their survey has only just been booked - 2 weeks after they made their offer. And it's another two weeks until it happens.

I doubt that we can complete in the two weeks between their survey coming back and the end of March so unless stamp duty is extended I can see us paying it...

Frustrating as our survey was booked and completed within a week of the offer being accepted - I would've expected quicker progress from them.
Having said that, we had similar problems when we bought the place as despite having an agreement in principle, we were rejected for the first two mortgages we applied for which held things up, but I could hardly tell the agent we were struggling for funds...

chopper602

1,776 posts

187 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Six viewings over the weekend - first one didn't turn up. We've been asking them to take shoes off, estate agents have been asking us all to wear masks and leave all doors open. Last viewing on Friday took shoes off and didn't have socks on (eeew). Estate Agents have been very good with follow-ups on the viewers and strange how they think parking is a problem with a drive wide enough for three cars and a double garage big enough for two more . . .

At least one is considering an offer and two more viewings lined up for Tuesday evening

HRL

2,404 posts

183 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Offer accepted on our new home today. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan but there’s a long way to go yet.

A lovely grade II listed place in North Devon.

Having to get used to oil usage, a water borehole with treatment works and a septic tank might take some getting used to but we’re game.

Al U

1,857 posts

95 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Our house is up for sale at the moment, been up for 3 weeks this Wednesday. We have had a lot of viewings but only 1 offer from a person that started low and has gone up a bit for their 2nd offer. They are still a bit low but we think they may come up once more to a level we can accept. People are all giving the same feedback that two of the bedrooms are too small, the dimensions are on the floor plan! I wish people would look at floor plans more seriously before arranging viewings. I do wonder if it is people using it as an excuse to get out of the house sometimes.

None of this actually matters though, because we are just not seeing anything that we want from what is available at the moment. I am getting concerned that we are going to get to a point soon where we get a good offer and will be rushed into choosing a house from what is out there.


guitarcarfanatic

943 posts

99 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
HRL said:
Offer accepted on our new home today. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan but there’s a long way to go yet.

A lovely grade II listed place in North Devon.

Having to get used to oil usage, a water borehole with treatment works and a septic tank might take some getting used to but we’re game.
Great stuff - make sure you get confirmation the septic tank correctly discharges to a soakaway and not a water course. Your solicitor should pick this up (legislation change in 2020 made it compulsory check at point of sale), but I have seen them missed smile

LetsTryAgain

2,754 posts

37 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Al U said:
Our house is up for sale at the moment, been up for 3 weeks this Wednesday. We have had a lot of viewings but only 1 offer from a person that started low and has gone up a bit for their 2nd offer. They are still a bit low but we think they may come up once more to a level we can accept. People are all giving the same feedback that two of the bedrooms are too small, the dimensions are on the floor plan! I wish people would look at floor plans more seriously before arranging viewings. I do wonder if it is people using it as an excuse to get out of the house sometimes.

None of this actually matters though, because we are just not seeing anything that we want from what is available at the moment. I am getting concerned that we are going to get to a point soon where we get a good offer and will be rushed into choosing a house from what is out there.
It’s a PITA but it could be worth considering renting in the short term depending where you are.

Al U

1,857 posts

95 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
LetsTryAgain said:
Al U said:
Our house is up for sale at the moment, been up for 3 weeks this Wednesday. We have had a lot of viewings but only 1 offer from a person that started low and has gone up a bit for their 2nd offer. They are still a bit low but we think they may come up once more to a level we can accept. People are all giving the same feedback that two of the bedrooms are too small, the dimensions are on the floor plan! I wish people would look at floor plans more seriously before arranging viewings. I do wonder if it is people using it as an excuse to get out of the house sometimes.

None of this actually matters though, because we are just not seeing anything that we want from what is available at the moment. I am getting concerned that we are going to get to a point soon where we get a good offer and will be rushed into choosing a house from what is out there.
It’s a PITA but it could be worth considering renting in the short term depending where you are.
To be honest I'd rather just settle on something and make it clear to our buyer that we have not found something when it comes to accepting an offer, we will be increasing our mortgage for our next house so renting for 6 months and paying early repayment charges doesn't really stack up for us. At least I don't think it does at the moment, I think if it came to that I'd rather just stay in ours for another year. We aren't really desperate to up-size, it's more of a want than a need for sure.

HRL

2,404 posts

183 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
guitarcarfanatic said:
Great stuff - make sure you get confirmation the septic tank correctly discharges to a soakaway and not a water course. Your solicitor should pick this up (legislation change in 2020 made it compulsory check at point of sale), but I have seen them missed smile
Thanks, I’ll make sure we get that ticked off.

Only 2 acres of land but the property is 800 years old, 6 bedrooms, and absolutely idyllic in good weather. Suspect it will be interesting during heavy snow or even rain but it’s on top of a ridge so not a flood risk at least.

Will finally get that fair weather 2-seater that I couldn’t justify at my current location as well. Hard to justify when I walk to the station and get trains every day. That and a half decent 4x4 for when the weathers ste.

Going from working in IT for almost 25 years to becoming caretaker and running our own business from home instead. I’d best get the hang of DIY that’s for sure, but it feels like early retirement TBH. Absolutely looking forward to it. smile

guitarcarfanatic

943 posts

99 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
HRL said:
Thanks, I’ll make sure we get that ticked off.

Only 2 acres of land but the property is 800 years old, 6 bedrooms, and absolutely idyllic in good weather. Suspect it will be interesting during heavy snow or even rain but it’s on top of a ridge so not a flood risk at least.

Will finally get that fair weather 2-seater that I couldn’t justify at my current location as well. Hard to justify when I walk to the station and get trains every day. That and a half decent 4x4 for when the weathers ste.

Going from working in IT for almost 25 years to becoming caretaker and running our own business from home instead. I’d best get the hang of DIY that’s for sure, but it feels like early retirement TBH. Absolutely looking forward to it. smile
Fabulous - where are you at the moment? I am in Taunton, Somerset so know the North Devon coast well. Some great spots!

HRL

2,404 posts

183 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
guitarcarfanatic said:
Fabulous - where are you at the moment? I am in Taunton, Somerset so know the North Devon coast well. Some great spots!
Bloody Romford, Essex, and it’s an utter sthole. Spent many holidays in the SW with kids and dogs so it’s going to be a massive upheaval but oh so worth it.

TCruise

241 posts

55 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
1. Estate Agents who make stuff up.
2. Slow lawyers.
3. Chinese Whispers between lawyers.
= mess and stress

- Estate Agent saying, everyone is ready to Exchange except us.
- But, we need an indemnity from our Sellers, who are useless.
- So, I put a chaser on our lawyers.
- BUT, then the Agent says, actually our Buyer has a few more queries.

So actually they aren't ready to Exchange. Lies.

It is bloody annoying. I don't know why there cannot be an all parties call.

The only ones with oversight of the whole chain is an Estate Agent. Frankly, I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him.

I feel bad as I'm feeding my lawyers the lies my Estate Agent is telling me.

But, our lawyers are being slow. They could have made this much faster. Instead every email roughly takes a couple of days for a response.

I don't trust the Sellers at all. The house we are buying is a wreck, so it's to be expected. But, they are making the whole thing more difficult.

The process is just a huge waste of time, full of misinformation.



Edited by TCruise on Monday 1st March 22:17

surveyor

15,426 posts

148 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
TCruise said:
1. Estate Agents who make stuff up.
2. Slow lawyers.
3. Chinese Whispers between lawyers.
= mess and stress

- Estate Agent saying, everyone is ready to Exchange except us.
- But, we need an indemnity from our Sellers, who are useless.
- So, I put a chaser on our lawyers.
- BUT, then the Agent says, actually our Buyer has a few more queries.

So actually they aren't ready to Exchange. Lies.

It is bloody annoying. I don't know why there cannot be an all parties call.

The only ones with oversight of the whole chain is an Estate Agent. Frankly, I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him.

I feel bad as I'm feeding my lawyers the lies my Estate Agent is telling me.

But, our lawyers are being slow. They could have made this much faster. Instead every email roughly takes a couple of days for a response.

I don't trust the Sellers at all. The house we are buying is a wreck, so it's to be expected. But, they are making the whole thing more difficult.

The process is just a huge waste of time, full of misinformation.



Edited by TCruise on Monday 1st March 22:17
There is no reason why you cannot have an all parties call, apart from all of the solicitors and agents involved hate them! I wonder why!

Gad-Westy

11,303 posts

177 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
surveyor said:
TCruise said:
1. Estate Agents who make stuff up.
2. Slow lawyers.
3. Chinese Whispers between lawyers.
= mess and stress

- Estate Agent saying, everyone is ready to Exchange except us.
- But, we need an indemnity from our Sellers, who are useless.
- So, I put a chaser on our lawyers.
- BUT, then the Agent says, actually our Buyer has a few more queries.

So actually they aren't ready to Exchange. Lies.

It is bloody annoying. I don't know why there cannot be an all parties call.

The only ones with oversight of the whole chain is an Estate Agent. Frankly, I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him.

I feel bad as I'm feeding my lawyers the lies my Estate Agent is telling me.

But, our lawyers are being slow. They could have made this much faster. Instead every email roughly takes a couple of days for a response.

I don't trust the Sellers at all. The house we are buying is a wreck, so it's to be expected. But, they are making the whole thing more difficult.

The process is just a huge waste of time, full of misinformation.



Edited by TCruise on Monday 1st March 22:17
There is no reason why you cannot have an all parties call, apart from all of the solicitors and agents involved hate them! I wonder why!
yes Such a familiar sounding tale. Was the same with our sale/purchase and there have been loads of similar posts from others on here. So much that could be resolved with very simple conference calls. I got so sick of all the bullst. There was so much of it being flung around that I no longer had the faintest idea where anything was at. And yet simple calls with our actual vendor or buyer and everything was 100% clear. So f'ing infuriating that it feels like we're paying solicitors to make the process much worse! And estate agents seem utterly uninterested for the entire period between offer acceptance and hand over of keys.



SunsetZed

1,263 posts

134 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Al U said:
LetsTryAgain said:
Al U said:
Our house is up for sale at the moment, been up for 3 weeks this Wednesday. We have had a lot of viewings but only 1 offer from a person that started low and has gone up a bit for their 2nd offer. They are still a bit low but we think they may come up once more to a level we can accept. People are all giving the same feedback that two of the bedrooms are too small, the dimensions are on the floor plan! I wish people would look at floor plans more seriously before arranging viewings. I do wonder if it is people using it as an excuse to get out of the house sometimes.

None of this actually matters though, because we are just not seeing anything that we want from what is available at the moment. I am getting concerned that we are going to get to a point soon where we get a good offer and will be rushed into choosing a house from what is out there.
It’s a PITA but it could be worth considering renting in the short term depending where you are.
To be honest I'd rather just settle on something and make it clear to our buyer that we have not found something when it comes to accepting an offer, we will be increasing our mortgage for our next house so renting for 6 months and paying early repayment charges doesn't really stack up for us. At least I don't think it does at the moment, I think if it came to that I'd rather just stay in ours for another year. We aren't really desperate to up-size, it's more of a want than a need for sure.
I understand what you're saying but for what it's worth I'd think about rented and the costs aren't always what you think:
1) Sometimes the ERC isn't payable if you purchase a new house within a certain amount of time
2) You'll be the best buyer for a new house and more likely to secure it and / or in the best position to negotiate on price
3) How would you feel if your dream house comes on today and goes to someone else because you hadn't sold your current place?

I'm currently living in rented whilst my purchase goes through having sold our house so that's my take on it. That said we were more set on moving than it sounds like you are.

LetsTryAgain

2,754 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
SunsetZed said:
I understand what you're saying but for what it's worth I'd think about rented and the costs aren't always what you think:
1) Sometimes the ERC isn't payable if you purchase a new house within a certain amount of time
2) You'll be the best buyer for a new house and more likely to secure it and / or in the best position to negotiate on price
3) How would you feel if your dream house comes on today and goes to someone else because you hadn't sold your current place?

I'm currently living in rented whilst my purchase goes through having sold our house so that's my take on it. That said we were more set on moving than it sounds like you are.
I’ve never had to do it, but the reason I suggested it (and would consider it myself in the future) is two fold.
Being chain free really does put you in the best position I think.
If I were to rush it to buying a house as mine had sold, then 6 months later a more suitable house came up I’d be kicking myself.