Where to retire in the UK

Where to retire in the UK

Author
Discussion

Vasco

10,766 posts

72 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
juice said:
Vasco said:
Somerset might be a good choice. I don't know enough about the whole county but parts may be too expensive.
It's a big county, but has pretty much something to offer everyone. Quantocks and mendips for scenery, decent-ish beaches (baring in mind they're estuary facing) and lots of lovely countryside. We're in the Chew Valley and absolutely love it here. Equidistant between Bristol, Bath and Wells (Bristol for work and Bath...well for everything else !).
We have Wookey & Cheddar not far away and there's the lovely villages like Wedmore, Mells etc
It's a nice area of the world to put down roots...
Would there be plenty of *nice* property under £325k ?

monkfish1

9,190 posts

191 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
Hol said:
I am visiting my mum in Suffolk soon for a few days, so will probably check out some of the Norfolk and Lincolnshire areas as part of that trip.
Serious question. What does "checking it out" actually entail, and what do you hope to gain from it?

Lots of places look great, but that doesnt mean they are great places to live of fit your ideal of how you want to live.

Aside from cost, choosing where to go is proving hard.



moorx

2,384 posts

81 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
juice said:
Vasco said:
Somerset might be a good choice. I don't know enough about the whole county but parts may be too expensive.
It's a big county, but has pretty much something to offer everyone. Quantocks and mendips for scenery, decent-ish beaches (baring in mind they're estuary facing) and lots of lovely countryside. We're in the Chew Valley and absolutely love it here. Equidistant between Bristol, Bath and Wells (Bristol for work and Bath...well for everything else !).
We have Wookey & Cheddar not far away and there's the lovely villages like Wedmore, Mells etc
It's a nice area of the world to put down roots...
Agreed. Mendips or Exmoor would have been my choice if we had stayed there, but we could get much more for our money in west Wales.

WhiskyDisco

482 posts

41 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
If you are considering North Norfolk you should look at Hunstanton.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106136183#/
York Avenue, HUNSTANTON
Offers in Excess of
£350,000


monkfish1

9,190 posts

191 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
moorx said:
juice said:
Vasco said:
Somerset might be a good choice. I don't know enough about the whole county but parts may be too expensive.
It's a big county, but has pretty much something to offer everyone. Quantocks and mendips for scenery, decent-ish beaches (baring in mind they're estuary facing) and lots of lovely countryside. We're in the Chew Valley and absolutely love it here. Equidistant between Bristol, Bath and Wells (Bristol for work and Bath...well for everything else !).
We have Wookey & Cheddar not far away and there's the lovely villages like Wedmore, Mells etc
It's a nice area of the world to put down roots...
Agreed. Mendips or Exmoor would have been my choice if we had stayed there, but we could get much more for our money in west Wales.
Assuming you are not welsh, how are you finding living there? Increasingly, im considering it.

Vasco

10,766 posts

72 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
I assume that much of far west Wales (except the Tenby area?) is good for, relatively, low house prices?

moorx

2,384 posts

81 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
monkfish1 said:
moorx said:
juice said:
Vasco said:
Somerset might be a good choice. I don't know enough about the whole county but parts may be too expensive.
It's a big county, but has pretty much something to offer everyone. Quantocks and mendips for scenery, decent-ish beaches (baring in mind they're estuary facing) and lots of lovely countryside. We're in the Chew Valley and absolutely love it here. Equidistant between Bristol, Bath and Wells (Bristol for work and Bath...well for everything else !).
We have Wookey & Cheddar not far away and there's the lovely villages like Wedmore, Mells etc
It's a nice area of the world to put down roots...
Agreed. Mendips or Exmoor would have been my choice if we had stayed there, but we could get much more for our money in west Wales.
Assuming you are not welsh, how are you finding living there? Increasingly, im considering it.
No, neither of us are Welsh. We've been here 9 years now. Both of us had spent some time here previously on day trips, holidays, etc - myself particularly - though not necessarily restricted to where we finally settled.

We haven't had any issues settling in. OH can converse well with our main neighbour (farmer) as he worked for an agricultural suppliers/engineers previously. We don't have many close neighbours. Our local town is a really nice traditional market town, still with an active livestock market. Nice selection of independent shop and pubs. It was one of the things that convinced us to buy here. I work locally for the NHS. In my team, the English outnumber the Welsh, although most have lived here a significant length of time. Lots of English accents locally, too, and no sense of being 'outsiders'.

We are in Carmarthenshire, close (within a few miles) to the border with Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion. This makes it a great base for travelling to some really nice areas. I've recently rediscovered my love of mid-Wales too, which is somewhere we used to visit when I was a kid.

Learning a few words of Welsh - even if it's just how to say 'thank you' is very much appreciated in my experience.

We just couldn't have afforded a place like we have, in the setting we have, in many other locations. So all positive as far as I'm concerned.



Red9zero

1,670 posts

24 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
juice said:
Vasco said:
Somerset might be a good choice. I don't know enough about the whole county but parts may be too expensive.
It's a big county, but has pretty much something to offer everyone. Quantocks and mendips for scenery, decent-ish beaches (baring in mind they're estuary facing) and lots of lovely countryside. We're in the Chew Valley and absolutely love it here. Equidistant between Bristol, Bath and Wells (Bristol for work and Bath...well for everything else !).
We have Wookey & Cheddar not far away and there's the lovely villages like Wedmore, Mells etc
It's a nice area of the world to put down roots...
You have Salt & Malt at Chew Magna too cloud9

juice

6,602 posts

249 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
Red9zero said:
You have Salt & Malt at Chew Magna too cloud9
It's gone a bit nickle and dime lately. What used to be included (Tartare, Mushy peas) are now chargeable. Which is a shame.
It's on Chew Lake and regardless is packed each day, weekend.
I've been to most of the eating places in the Valley. The Pig used to be great but has gone into the stratosphere for what's quite disappointing food and meagre portions. I found the Pony & Trap to be a bit disappointing for a 1*

The best place to eat round here and a bit of a hidden gem is the Ring O'Bells in Hinton Blewitt.
The steak is the best I've ever tried and the Haggis scotch eggs are cloud9. Bring your appetite tho !

Andy's the landlord and is the nicest bloke you'd ever want to meet. His wife (Jo) does the chef'ing and she's brilliant.

https://www.ringobellshinton.co.uk/

easytiger123

2,301 posts

176 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
Vasco said:
I assume that much of far west Wales (except the Tenby area?) is good for, relatively, low house prices?
Yes and no. Mrs Easytiger's grandparents live in Cardigan. Beautiful part of the world but it's not somewhere you really want to be as you get really old unless you have kids nearby. A car is absolutely essential. House prices not as cheap as you might think if you're right on the coast too.

Red9zero

1,670 posts

24 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
juice said:
Red9zero said:
You have Salt & Malt at Chew Magna too cloud9
It's gone a bit nickle and dime lately. What used to be included (Tartare, Mushy peas) are now chargeable. Which is a shame.
It's on Chew Lake and regardless is packed each day, weekend.
I've been to most of the eating places in the Valley. The Pig used to be great but has gone into the stratosphere for what's quite disappointing food and meagre portions. I found the Pony & Trap to be a bit disappointing for a 1*

The best place to eat round here and a bit of a hidden gem is the Ring O'Bells in Hinton Blewitt.
The steak is the best I've ever tried and the Haggis scotch eggs are cloud9. Bring your appetite tho !

Andy's the landlord and is the nicest bloke you'd ever want to meet. His wife (Jo) does the chef'ing and she's brilliant.

https://www.ringobellshinton.co.uk/
Shame about S&M, although we haven't been to that one for a while. The one at Wapping Wharf is nearer to us, but that has been packed whenever we go there too.
The Ring O Bells looks good. Might have to give that a try.

Wacky Racer

34,369 posts

214 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
My shortlist would include:-

The Cotswolds (around Broadway)

Northumberland

Norfolk (Around Sheringham)

Exmoor

North Yorkshire (Around Pickering)

Must have a Chinese chip shop within ten minutes, preferably who can offer delivery. biggrin

talksthetorque

9,187 posts

102 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
WhiskyDisco said:
If you are considering North Norfolk you should look at Hunstanton.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106136183#/
York Avenue, HUNSTANTON
Offers in Excess of
£350,000

No garage?
redcard

roscopervis

108 posts

114 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
monkfish1 said:
Assuming you are not welsh, how are you finding living there? Increasingly, im considering it.
I wonder what the locals at these places really think of people with retiring money moving there? This migration is terrible for the affordability of houses for the local people and most neighbour disputes are from incomers who either do things that don’t respect where they are or are upset when farmers do farming that doesn’t agree with their idea of a countryside idyll.

If anyone can’t tell, I’m not a fan of this.

egor110

14,423 posts

170 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
Wacky Racer said:
My shortlist would include:-

The Cotswolds (around Broadway)

Northumberland

Norfolk (Around Sheringham)

Exmoor

North Yorkshire (Around Pickering)

Must have a Chinese chip shop within ten minutes, preferably who can offer delivery. biggrin
That restricts you to minehead then in exmoor .

Wacky Racer

34,369 posts

214 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
egor110 said:
That restricts you to minehead then in exmoor .
Minehead's OK, I quite like it round that area.

bristolracer

4,608 posts

116 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
Minehead is an hour off the M5, poor connections if you need to get anywhere.

Who ever mentioned Chew Valley as a suitable place to get a house for £325k needs a reality check.
You couldn't buy a shed around there for that.
In fact finding anything that has a BS postcode that isn't on a sink estate for £325k is quite challenging these days

If you are looking at Somerset you need to head further south, out of commutable radius of Bristol.

Blib

38,029 posts

164 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
WhiskyDisco said:
If you are considering North Norfolk you should look at Hunstanton.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106136183#/
York Avenue, HUNSTANTON
Offers in Excess of
£350,000

Hunstanton's the least impressive town up there by far, IMO.

bennno

7,226 posts

236 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
Vasco said:
I assume that much of far west Wales (except the Tenby area?) is good for, relatively, low house prices?
We’ve done exactly that, but about 7 miles from Tenby and a mile from our nearest beach. Prices have near doubled in last 5-6 years.

£400k is entry level to buy something decent that’s non estate with a part of an acre.

£200k buys a new 2 bed bungalow with driveway parking on an estate.

We have go fibre to house, scenery is stunning and outside holiday periods there’s no traffic to speak of. Plenty of shops in Carmarthen, Haverfordwest etc.

MattS5

1,638 posts

158 months

Thursday 17th June
quotequote all
Blib said:
Hunstanton's the least impressive town up there by far, IMO.
I'd have to agree with that.

I also think you might struggle to get a 3 bed, detached property, with garden and decent garage for £325k in north norfolk.
Well, especially near any towns you'd (well, I'd) want to be near.

Mundesley is probably as far south I'd want to go on the coast
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108741488#/

Then once you get into Overstrand and further northwards, you'll need an extra £50k to get a bungalow.

Cmming in land a little between Holt and Fakenham, gets you this
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/80486535#/

I reckon the sweet spot up here is drawing a line at Brancaster, accross to Aylsham and then over to Mundesley. (very very roughly speaking)