Travel Insurance with cancer history

Travel Insurance with cancer history

Author
Discussion

Rs2oo

Original Poster:

2,152 posts

148 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Does anyone on here know of an insurance company who will insure someone who has had cancer within the last 4 years but not receiving any treatment, just scans. quotes from some companies are ridiculous more than twice the cost of the holiday and most just won't insure. quite what breaking an arm or a leg has to do with having cancer 4 years ago I don't know but if anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated

rossub

2,606 posts

140 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
I guess it depends on the Cancer, but my other half had breast cancer 3 years ago and we can get insurance for £100-150 for a 3 week trip to the US.

Rs2oo

Original Poster:

2,152 posts

148 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
rossub said:
I guess it depends on the Cancer, but my other half had breast cancer 3 years ago and we can get insurance for £100-150 for a 3 week trip to the US.
Who with please. We have been quoted £1,800 for 10 days in Canada.

Macneil

296 posts

30 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
We use Sainsbury's every year, mrs MC is 13 years in remission with non hodgkins lymphoma - we declare it and accept a clause that the policy won't payout on nhl related claims. well there wont be any so its no problem, and the premium is unchanged from no history.

sas62

1,080 posts

28 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Got my annual policy through All Clear for £140 within a year of a bowel cancer op.

rossub

2,606 posts

140 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Rs2oo said:
Who with please. We have been quoted £1,800 for 10 days in Canada.
Just through Compare the Market - can’t remember which was cheapest, but several were in that price range.

Bill

40,607 posts

205 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
rossub said:
Just through Compare the Market - can’t remember which was cheapest, but several were in that price range.
Sounds like a computer says no type issue. You need to go direct or talk to a broker.

98elise

15,733 posts

111 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Macneil said:
We use Sainsbury's every year, mrs MC is 13 years in remission with non hodgkins lymphoma - we declare it and accept a clause that the policy won't payout on nhl related claims. well there wont be any so its no problem, and the premium is unchanged from no history.
That's sounds very sensible. You want travel insurance for sudden unexpected events, not the unlikely reoccurance of a past problem.

rossub

2,606 posts

140 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Bill said:
Sounds like a computer says no type issue. You need to go direct or talk to a broker.
Not this time. It asks specific questions about health conditions. I’ll check again though.

rossub

2,606 posts

140 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Checked again.

£126 with the Post Office with her Breast Cancer and Depression declared. Went through to the PO website and the conditions were there in Black and White....

Rs2oo

Original Poster:

2,152 posts

148 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
We are having really terrible trouble getting anything.... best quote we've had is £1,400. I think the problem is that her cancer spread twice and she has had three major ops. I will try Sainsbury's and as mentioned on here maybe phone them rather than do online qoutes. Thanks everyone

rossub

2,606 posts

140 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
It’s silly really. You’re only going for 10 days and even if the cancer returned, you’d be getting the first flight home, not using the local health services.

When are you planning to go? Might be cheaper if you wait until just before you go, so that the risk of a claim is minimised. Getting insurance months before you travel increases cancellation risk.

Huw Janus

1,713 posts

18 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
I just use the insurance I get with Amex.

Old Merc

2,507 posts

117 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
craig1912 said:
My wife and I are with Staysure. Neither of us has cancer but we are both in our 70`s with various health issues. Staysure are very good, we have an annual multi trip policy for £320. NOT the USA and a couple of other countries.

craig1912

1,295 posts

62 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Huw Janus said:
I just use the insurance I get with Amex.
Which is fine but may not be any good for someone who has had cancer.

I could have said I just use Lloyd’s bank (which I do) but if you don’t declare pre existing conditions you risk not being insured. Saying I just use Amex isn’t helpful.

Huw Janus

1,713 posts

18 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
craig1912 said:
Huw Janus said:
I just use the insurance I get with Amex.
Which is fine but may not be any good for someone who has had cancer.

I could have said I just use Lloyd’s bank (which I do) but if you don’t declare pre existing conditions you risk not being insured. Saying I just use Amex isn’t helpful.
I’ve had cancer you moron, that’s why I commented. (Clue in the title of the thread )
But thanks for your valuable input.


Op for reference. https://insurance.americanexpress.co.uk/travel-ins...

Edited by Huw Janus on Sunday 10th February 20:08

craig1912

1,295 posts

62 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Huw Janus said:
I’ve had cancer you moron, that’s why I commented. (Clue in the title of the thread )
But thanks for your valuable input.


Op for reference. https://insurance.americanexpress.co.uk/travel-ins...

Edited by Huw Janus on Sunday 10th February 20:08
You didn’t say you had cancer so how would I know? Does it make you abusive too? The link is useful for the OP and even more useful if you’d given it in the first place. rolleyes

Huw Janus

1,713 posts

18 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
It makes me intolerant of idiots.

“Title”. Travel Insurance with cancer history

Why else would I respond ? And quite frankly, why does it need you to try and police this thread with your incorrect assumptions ?


newlad

44 posts

47 months

Sunday 10th February 2019
quotequote all
Nationwide Flex Plus account.

Bowel cancer two years ago. Switched to this account last July. If you are clear after six months and not taking medication then no issue. £13 per month for worldwide travel, phone and car breakdown cover. If you keep £2.5k in the account you earn £6 per month so net cost is £7 per month.

Only disappointment is lowering the age limit for travel cover from 75 to 70.