Thomas Cook going bump.

Thomas Cook going bump.

Author
Discussion

PositronicRay

17,010 posts

131 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Heaveho said:
stevemcs said:
Who plans a holiday and only takes enough medication for 6 days .....

.
I do when I have to be back one way or another on time regardless of that. Whether TC was going under or not and regardless of whether or not I was taking something medical, I will be have to be back in the UK no later than Wednesday. It's not impossible, and, as it turns out, it's been pretty straightforward.
I take more than enough, spread over several bags. I'm sure I could get some locally, but it saves on additional stress.
What about when that volcano thing happened? Plenty of people stuck for a few extra days.

Robertj21a

7,272 posts

53 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
The Mad Monk said:
Tui reckons that Thomas Cook have been spending too much money on bricks and mortar on the High Street.
As virtually anyone could have said, years ago.

Scabutz

2,199 posts

28 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Has Mike Ashley tried to buy them yet?

Mobile Chicane

19,012 posts

160 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
I worked on the Thomas Cook advertising account 20 years ago.. It was obvious back then that they were prospecting within an ever declining market.

Spanna

3,658 posts

124 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Thomas Cook also do cruises correct? What happens if you’re currently on a cruise or ported up at a location?

Curiosity driving that question.

GT03ROB

8,070 posts

169 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
GSalt said:
When the NHS rules insist that GPs only prescribe 28 days of medication at a time, regardless of the fact you'll be on the same medication for the rest of your life, it can be a juggle.

I do manage to get three months worth of prescriptions in one go on occasion by insisting I'd be traveling around the time a 28 day prescription would run out. But unless you've an extremely understanding GP you probably only get one shot at this per year - and many people will have been pulling that one around the end of March this year and hoping to try again for October.

Unless you're on life-long daily medication you have no idea how awkward the prescribing system can be to navigate to get what you need when you need it.
If them's the rules how come I get 2 months worth each & every time without requesting it??

yellowbentines

4,249 posts

155 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
With only 1 week until I was due to fly to the USA I took the gamble last night at about 11:30pm to rebook flights elsewhere with BA, rumblings weren't sounding good from various news sources. Should hopefully get the cost of my flight back under section 75 as I booked direct and by CC.

I genuinely feel sorry for the staff that have lost jobs. As a Scot, our transatlantic direct flight options are limited, and we enjoyed several TC flights to L.A., Las Vegas and Florida from Manchester in recent years - they were well priced and convenient (the terminal at Manchester aside). The aircraft and staff/service were always of a higher standard with than similar flights on BA and Virgin in my recent experience.

GSalt

246 posts

37 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
GT03ROB said:
If them's the rules how come I get 2 months worth each & every time without requesting it??
No idea, but i got a passive-aggressive note back from my GP when I requested 3 months again this month highlighting the 28 day rule printed on the script. Checked the PCT website and confirmed that those are the rules.

speedyguy

4,187 posts

151 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
yellowbentines said:
With only 1 week until I was due to fly to the USA I took the gamble last night at about 11:30pm to rebook flights elsewhere with BA, rumblings weren't sounding good from various news sources. Should hopefully get the cost of my flight back under section 75 as I booked direct and by CC.

I genuinely feel sorry for the staff that have lost jobs. As a Scot, our transatlantic direct flight options are limited, and we enjoyed several TC flights to L.A., Las Vegas and Florida from Manchester in recent years - they were well priced and convenient (the terminal at Manchester aside). The aircraft and staff/service were always of a higher standard with than similar flights on BA and Virgin in my recent experience.
Spot on with the above.

Though when I rang my CC provider earlier they have recieved a UK finance note or something come thru from regulator telling people to speak to ATOL? Unless they are bullparping. Seems strange even though the flights only are not ATOL protected? Unless the administrator is sorting something out?

I'm only going one way from NY in a couple months so will let prices settle as after the kerfuffle that will happen today and in the next couple of days I can see a spike before settling again.

There seems to be plenty of room for more transatlantic flights from Skankchester airport.

toastyhamster

845 posts

44 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Spanna said:
Thomas Cook also do cruises correct? What happens if you’re currently on a cruise or ported up at a location?

Curiosity driving that question.
P&O, Fred Olsen and Royal Caribbean are honouring future bookings apparently so I guess ppl already on board will be fine.

Sheepshanks

18,615 posts

67 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
GSalt said:
No idea, but i got a passive-aggressive note back from my GP when I requested 3 months again this month highlighting the 28 day rule printed on the script. Checked the PCT website and confirmed that those are the rules.
Presumably you don't pay on a month by month basis? I always thought it was down to that - once my wife paid for a card they seemed happy to give her two months at a time.

Sheepshanks

18,615 posts

67 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
toastyhamster said:
Spanna said:
Thomas Cook also do cruises correct? What happens if you’re currently on a cruise or ported up at a location?

Curiosity driving that question.
P&O, Fred Olsen and Royal Caribbean are honouring future bookings apparently so I guess ppl already on board will be fine.
I heard they're only being fed bread and water though. And they have to take a turn at the oars. smile

Taff107

298 posts

97 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Four of us booked flights to SF Aug 20 for 2 wks for us to travel California on Harley Davidsons.
We're now scrabbling about again pricing up flights.

....'kin typical

ConwyC

26 posts

5 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
I am sorry to see TC fail, used them often for ski holidays, preferred them to TUI.

Two questions why is TC IN trouble but not TUI?

when I was working for a chain that went into receivership it kept trading and some parts of the business like its hotels got sold off, why is TC shut down immediately?

Thesprucegoose

19,752 posts

143 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Mobile Chicane said:
I worked on the Thomas Cook advertising account 20 years ago.. It was obvious back then that they were prospecting within an ever declining market.
the market is pretty strong for package holidays, the ATOL insurance is a massive selling point. the issue is 80+% of bookings are done online, and TC has 500+ stores and mass incompetence in upper management.

The buiness model works like a ponzi scheme taking money now for cash flow, in the hope of making more next year and so-on. Any uncertainty leads to this situation.

Edited by Thesprucegoose on Monday 23 September 16:32

Sa Calobra

28,939 posts

159 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Feel sorry for anyone stranded who doesn't have surplus funds to get home whilst waiting for refunds etc.

I for one don't believe in bailing out a ailing private company. They are ailing for a reason and post initial bail out future customers will go elsewhere self perpetuating reliance on the public purse.

LM24Nut

298 posts

10 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
ConwyC said:
Two questions why is TC IN trouble but not TUI?

when I was working for a chain that went into receivership it kept trading and some parts of the business like its hotels got sold off, why is TC shut down immediately?
1) I suspect TUI is not in trouble because it wasn't propping up 500+ high street shops. Although, I suspect there is more to it than propping up those shops.

2) Looks like TC was in massive debt but had little in assets.

Saw this tweet today, in response to John McDonnell's usual communist nonsense:

Thomas Cook’s liabilities, including trade credits, and long-term borrowings are both well over £1bn and advance payments over £2bn, a pension deficit of nearly £500m.

Thomas Cook is insolvent, and has been for awhile.

You’d expect the Shadow Chancellor to know the basics.

https://twitter.com/DrGABaines/status/117603882462...

Folk talk about how .gov.uk (the taxpayer) should have bailed them out. Well, by default, the taxpayer will be picking up the tab for the repatriation bill and the pension fund. Had the taxpayer handed over the 200 million TC wanted, then the can would have been kicked down the road for another 3 months at the most I reckon.

We're sympathetic for the employees and holiday makers, but the long term impact will be the destruction of wealth with regards to the funds used to invest in TC...the shareholders. I suspect many will be pension funds and savings/investment funds of which comprise of thousands of taxpayers. That's the real tragedy here. One that won't be realised for many years and when it's too late.

GSalt

246 posts

37 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
Presumably you don't pay on a month by month basis? I always thought it was down to that - once my wife paid for a card they seemed happy to give her two months at a time.
Nope, I qualify for an Exemption Card. No prescription fee to pay.

The rule is genuinely 28 days at a time, but I've also been transferred to one of the junior partners and the previous GP was a lot more sensible about things.

VAGLover

918 posts

26 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
You gotta love TC’s customer base
https://apple.news/AvFuojRKFSVePVf6eRIdd_A

VAGLover

918 posts

26 months

Monday 23rd September
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
VAGLover said:
You can book direct to hotels?
Yep, but many won't/don't even consider that option for all-inclusive type beach holidays (ironically partly because by default you have better protection with a package).

And in any case for many destinations (particularly from regional UK airports) you'd need to fly with Thomas Cook/Tui etc anyway. We're in the south west so tend to use Exeter, Bristol or Bournemouth if possible, we've never made it pay and be as convenient to fly with Easyjet, pay for transfers and book the hotel seperately.
Ironic isn’t it! Valuable lesson. Always use your Credit Card when booking