Any other expectant Dads?

Any other expectant Dads?

Author
Discussion

cbmotorsport

2,303 posts

56 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
ST_Nuts said:
^^ Congrats smile

Couple weeks to go until our 20 week scan - Can't wait! biggrin

We popped into Mothercare yesterday to have a browse... Can't believe how expensive everything is!

Picking up a 4 month old Mothercare pram on Gumtree in new condition for £80 - £370 saving!!

Moses basket in Aldi - £30. One in Mothercare which was not as good - double the price!
Sounds like you're going into it with the right idea.

Most baby stuff hasn't seen much use, due to the fact they grow out of it so quickly. For non safety items, buy secondhand wherever you can.

So many parents will tell you if they had their time again, they wouldn't buy everything brand new and spend a fortune.

Our best buy was £1500 worth of Silvercross nursery furniture for £200. There just doesn't seem to be any second hand value in the stuff.







richatnort

1,865 posts

69 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
Following on From ST_Nuts post about bargain hunting for furniture I am going to start the hunt for some used bits of furniture for us on eBay.

Does anyone have any recommendations for furniture brands I should look out for in terms of quality, durability, etc. We unfortunately can't have a lot as the room is only 1.8m X 2.0m so i'm thinking cot and a good changing cabinet/something clever for small spaces.

Also are there other none furniture things I should look at 2nd hand, i'm going to keep away from car seats as a few have said re crashes, etc

Vaud

30,894 posts

93 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
John Lewis stuff is pretty good. As is Great Little Trading Company.

To be honest I find Ikea stuff pretty good as well. Their high chairs are excellent and only about £14.

Blown2CV

21,476 posts

141 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
we have such a small nursery with some awkward constraints so we ended up ripping it all out and having fitted furniture put in. I think it was about £1500 but worth it as it has great storage for the size of the room and there is no space wasted whatsoever.

cbmotorsport

2,303 posts

56 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
richatnort said:
Following on From ST_Nuts post about bargain hunting for furniture I am going to start the hunt for some used bits of furniture for us on eBay.

Does anyone have any recommendations for furniture brands I should look out for in terms of quality, durability, etc. We unfortunately can't have a lot as the room is only 1.8m X 2.0m so i'm thinking cot and a good changing cabinet/something clever for small spaces.

Also are there other none furniture things I should look at 2nd hand, i'm going to keep away from car seats as a few have said re crashes, etc
We've been very impressed with the silvercross stuff we got on ebay. I would not have liked to pay the rrp, but for what we paid it's an absolute bargain. John lewis (as mentioned) looked good when we were looking, and Ikea is smart and functional too.

Advertisement

richatnort

1,865 posts

69 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
Well i did a quick floor plan at work and i've found out this is all we can fit in the room. It really is small!

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea...


SpeckledJim

17,210 posts

191 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
richatnort said:
Well i did a quick floor plan at work and i've found out this is all we can fit in the room. It really is small!

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea...

A cot like that will be a pain for a newborn - you're better off with something much higher, which will make picking them up, putting them down, and standing there for 40 minutes in the dark with a soothing hand on their chest like some kind of miserable exhausted idiot, much much easier. smile

You'll also get more storage space underneath a higher one.

cbmotorsport

2,303 posts

56 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
You can get a changing mat, and do it on the floor, but a changing table is bloody useful.

SpeckledJim

17,210 posts

191 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
cbmotorsport said:
You can get a changing mat, and do it on the floor, but a changing table is bloody useful.
I constructed a little changing tray that sat securely sideways on the top bars of the cot, and stowed away when it wasn't in use.

Also gave me an excuse to disappear quietly into the garage for a few hours at a time when the only real alternative felt like self-harm with shattered pieces of Fisher Price.

cbmotorsport

2,303 posts

56 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
cbmotorsport said:
You can get a changing mat, and do it on the floor, but a changing table is bloody useful.
I constructed a little changing tray that sat securely sideways on the top bars of the cot, and stowed away when it wasn't in use.

Also gave me an excuse to disappear quietly into the garage for a few hours at a time when the only real alternative felt like self-harm with shattered pieces of Fisher Price.
An ideal solution, save some space! :-)

richatnort

1,865 posts

69 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
cbmotorsport said:
SpeckledJim said:
cbmotorsport said:
You can get a changing mat, and do it on the floor, but a changing table is bloody useful.
I constructed a little changing tray that sat securely sideways on the top bars of the cot, and stowed away when it wasn't in use.

Also gave me an excuse to disappear quietly into the garage for a few hours at a time when the only real alternative felt like self-harm with shattered pieces of Fisher Price.
An ideal solution, save some space! :-)
Yes i thought about changing matt on top of a unit but then i'd be limited to something such a set of draws which would take up space, I was going to look at something I could put on one side of the cot or get all fancy and build something that could fold down and go up on the wall to save space that way

chip*

234 posts

166 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
The central space looks tight. You could have a wardrobe with sliding doors which would help wardrobe access (assuming you find such furniture with your dimensions)?

Or maybe consider a customised option with a fitted wardrobe and chest of draws / open storage (for easy access to the baby stuffs that are used daily e.g. nappies, wipes, nappy sacks, cream etc...) to maximise the limited room space.


CharlieH89

7,756 posts

103 months

Wednesday 6th February
quotequote all
We have a Tutti Bambini Marie changer with drawers and a Tutti Bambini Louis cotbed on the way from Mothercare.
The changer is massive.
We also have an Ikea brimnes wardrobe in the room for some of my stuff and a bit of the babies stuff.

The Tutti Bambini Katie set is nice and is not as big as the Marie set which is gigantic. We didn’t go for the Marie wardrobe as it is huge and the changer and bed will take up some of the 12ft x 11ft room that she will have.

4 weeks to go!

Equilibrium25

510 posts

72 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
richatnort said:
Well i did a quick floor plan at work and i've found out this is all we can fit in the room. It really is small!

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea...

A cot like that will be a pain for a newborn - you're better off with something much higher, which will make picking them up, putting them down, and standing there for 40 minutes in the dark with a soothing hand on their chest like some kind of miserable exhausted idiot, much much easier. smile

You'll also get more storage space underneath a higher one.
This may be too large for the space at 159cm length, but we have this one, although paid sub £300 iirc in the sale in early 2017.

https://www.mothercare.com/cot-beds/mothercare-blo...

Mattress has three heights, which is very useful/essential as mentioned. It's now in bed form and will last her a good couple of years more. Although higher cost than a cot, a cot bed lasts much longer. There is a second hand one on ebay for £200 right now.



We also have this chest of drawers/changing table - https://www.mothercare.com/dressers-and-changing-u...
There's one on gumtree in bridgend, brand new in box for £290.





Shakermaker

Original Poster:

8,036 posts

38 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Another vote for John Lewis furniture here if you need recommendations

We were given the "Alex" cot by my wife's brother, it has survived his two and now our daughter, a worthy piece of kit and will be suitable if you plan on more than one.

And if you do buy new, consider that a lot of it does have a value second hand, so you get some of it back.

---

Question to any other Dads of 1-ish year olds.. what exactly is the deal with Digby Dragon? Why can't he fly or breathe fire? I missed the early part of the series so I don't have a clue what's going on...

Peanut Gallery

1,252 posts

48 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
Question to any other Dads of 1-ish year olds.. what exactly is the deal with Digby Dragon? Why can't he fly or breathe fire? I missed the early part of the series so I don't have a clue what's going on...
Sorry, unable to help with Digby Dragon, but what happened to Peter Rabbits dad who left him the darn journal...

Shakermaker

Original Poster:

8,036 posts

38 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Peanut Gallery said:
Sorry, unable to help with Digby Dragon, but what happened to Peter Rabbits dad who left him the darn journal...
Didn't he go into Mr McGregor's garden and end up in a pie?

Jasandjules

61,967 posts

167 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
Question to any other Dads of 1-ish year olds.. what exactly is the deal with Digby Dragon? Why can't he fly or breathe fire? I missed the early part of the series so I don't have a clue what's going on...
Not a clue. But soon you will dream of Mr Tumble and his songs and murdering and eating Bing............................

Vaud

30,894 posts

93 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
Not a clue. But soon you will dream of Mr Tumble and his songs and murdering and eating Bing............................
Bing is bloody awful. I hate the shows that encourage baby-talk. Not good for kids.
As for Peppa f***&ing Pig, she is a whiny little brat who is s terrible example. Banned from our house.

Rationally hating certain kids cartoons. It's a Bing thing.

Hey Duggie, Octonauts all bearable. In fact much of the cbeebies stuff is pretty good. Even Teletubbies.

SpeckledJim

17,210 posts

191 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Bing can FRO. Whiny little bd.

Flop needs to be given a spin-off series where he fights injustice and always gets the girl. Flop's the man.