A bit council (Vol 3)

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

SpeckledJim

17,804 posts

192 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
kingston12 said:
illmonkey said:
kingston12 said:
illmonkey said:
Thesprucegoose said:
I Love Cake said:
As if that awful place wasn’t council enough.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/16/mum-called-police-d...
What were they going to eat the next day. Why is it poor people always buy takeaways, 37 quid a lidl would last a week.
£37 of dominos would probably last 3 people a week too!
Last time I use Dominos, it was about £25 for a pizza, but if you clicked in the offers section it came down to about half that. I’m guessing that this lady probably didn’t do that, so her £37 might not have gone that far.
You can get 5 large pizzas for Just under £40. If being sensible, you'd get 20 portions out of that, so for an adult and 2 kids is 7 days.
Indeed, but someone who spends all the money they have on takeaway pizza probably isn’t remotely sensible!
I'd refuse to define anyone as 'poor' if they can happily spend £37 on a meal they can adequately replicate for £6 from any UK supermarket.

They're not poor if they have £37 for pizza. Most people on UK average income would consider that an example of rash spending.

austinsmirk

3,305 posts

62 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
love the mice story, its literally like ticking council bingo off.

loving the new names:

Ms McCallum is now worried about the health of son Kenny, ten, daughters Lara, nine and Chereme, 21, and 18-month-old granddaughter Darbie.



it was going ok until........ Chereme and Darbie.

never having heard the name, google says:

Noun
(linguistics) A basic unit of a sign language; equivalent to a phoneme. Chereme. well that's fancy then.

darbie, no google has no answer !


stumbled across a tnt with a dtr called Precious Starr XXXX (surname) today. excellent.

Bullett

8,839 posts

123 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Several Precious Starrs on FB.
Top one, with an open profile is everything you would expect.

schmunk

4,029 posts

64 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
illmonkey said:
You can get 5 large pizzas for Just under £40. If being sensible, you'd get 20 portions out of that, so for an adult and 2 kids is 7 days.
Clearly you've never seen teenagers eat Dominos pizza...

kingston12

2,315 posts

96 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
I'd refuse to define anyone as 'poor' if they can happily spend £37 on a meal they can adequately replicate for £6 from any UK supermarket.

They're not poor if they have £37 for pizza. Most people on UK average income would consider that an example of rash spending.
If she genuinely only has less than £50 to her name, then I’d say that definitely qualifies as poor. The fact that she is willing to spend almost all of that on takeaway pizza is a probably a good indication of how she became poor and why she is always likely to remain that way.

Edited by kingston12 on Wednesday 16th January 18:33

Advertisement

Saleen836

6,276 posts

148 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
kingston12 said:
SpeckledJim said:
I'd refuse to define anyone as 'poor' if they can happily spend £37 on a meal they can adequately replicate for £6 from any UK supermarket.

They're not poor if they have £37 for pizza. Most people on UK average income would consider that an example of rash spending.
If she genuinely only has less than £50 to her name, then I’d say that definitely qualifies as poor. The fact that she is willing to spend almost all of that on takeaway pizza is a probably a good indication of how she became poor and way she is always likely to remain that way.
Less than £50 left in the bank for another 2 days until benefits hit the account so decides wasting £37 of it on pizza would be ok

SpeckledJim

17,804 posts

192 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
kingston12 said:
SpeckledJim said:
I'd refuse to define anyone as 'poor' if they can happily spend £37 on a meal they can adequately replicate for £6 from any UK supermarket.

They're not poor if they have £37 for pizza. Most people on UK average income would consider that an example of rash spending.
If she genuinely only has less than £50 to her name, then I’d say that definitely qualifies as poor. The fact that she is willing to spend almost all of that on takeaway pizza is a probably a good indication of how she became poor and way she is always likely to remain that way.
I think you're poor if you're struggling to put food on the table. This lady isn't that. She has £37 for kids pizza.

I'm not poor (certainly not rich) and would consider spending £37 at Dominos ridiculously profligate.

The Dangerous Elk

4,642 posts

16 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
schmunk said:
illmonkey said:
You can get 5 large pizzas for Just under £40. If being sensible, you'd get 20 portions out of that, so for an adult and 2 kids is 7 days.
Clearly you've never seen teenagers eat Dominos pizza...
He is clearly clever enough not to put the whole lot in front of them at one sitting.

kingston12

2,315 posts

96 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
kingston12 said:
SpeckledJim said:
I'd refuse to define anyone as 'poor' if they can happily spend £37 on a meal they can adequately replicate for £6 from any UK supermarket.

They're not poor if they have £37 for pizza. Most people on UK average income would consider that an example of rash spending.
If she genuinely only has less than £50 to her name, then I’d say that definitely qualifies as poor. The fact that she is willing to spend almost all of that on takeaway pizza is a probably a good indication of how she became poor and way she is always likely to remain that way.
I think you're poor if you're struggling to put food on the table. This lady isn't that. She has £37 for kids pizza.

I'm not poor (certainly not rich) and would consider spending £37 at Dominos ridiculously profligate.
Totally agree that it is ridiculously profligate, and in her case stupid - she spends the last of her money on something she shouldn’t, and when it fails to deliver she can’t afford to buy anything else.

I still think that anyone with less than £50 to their name would be considered poor in the context of the real (sensible) cost of living in Britain in 2019. She is just making poor decisions by buying things she can’t afford that make her poorer still and increase the risk that she will run out of money altogether.

As has been pointed at above, in this case she has probably become skilled in frittering away the last of her money just in time for the next benefits payment to arrive. Presumably, if that arrives late for any reason, she’ll be living on ‘crisps and stuff’ or going down to the food bank until it gets there.

S11Steve

5,082 posts

123 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
kingston12 said:
If she genuinely only has less than £50 to her name, then I’d say that definitely qualifies as poor. The fact that she is willing to spend almost all of that on takeaway pizza is a probably a good indication of how she became poor and way she is always likely to remain that way.
A good example of why the socialist principle of redistribution of wealth is not a viable or sustainable ideology, Tax the wealthy only to allow the financially inept to live without consequence.

kingston12

2,315 posts

96 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
S11Steve said:
kingston12 said:
If she genuinely only has less than £50 to her name, then I’d say that definitely qualifies as poor. The fact that she is willing to spend almost all of that on takeaway pizza is a probably a good indication of how she became poor and why she is always likely to remain that way.
A good example of why the socialist principle of redistribution of wealth is not a viable or sustainable ideology, Tax the wealthy only to allow the financially inept to live without consequence.
Absolutely. The article linked the other day about the guy who came back from holiday and seems to visit the pub daily (daytime and evening) whilst on benefits is probably a better example still.

The problem is that we have become too politically correct in tackling it, hence people like these being prepared to go to the newspapers and reveal exactly what they are spending their benefits money on. There is no shame in doing so because from their perspective it is nobody else’s business and probably not unusual anyway.

SpeckledJim

17,804 posts

192 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
kingston12 said:
Totally agree that it is ridiculously profligate, and in her case stupid - she spends the last of her money on something she shouldn’t, and when it fails to deliver she can’t afford to buy anything else.

I still think that anyone with less than £50 to their name would be considered poor in the context of the real (sensible) cost of living in Britain in 2019. She is just making poor decisions by buying things she can’t afford that make her poorer still and increase the risk that she will run out of money altogether.

As has been pointed at above, in this case she has probably become skilled in frittering away the last of her money just in time for the next benefits payment to arrive. Presumably, if that arrives late for any reason, she’ll be living on ‘crisps and stuff’ or going down to the food bank until it gets there.
Her reference to 'my money' suggested to me that she wasn't perhaps personally involved in the generation of that income, and was simply, as usual, out of money at the end of the month, and very shortly to be reprieved.

Lots of people run out of money at the end of the month, and whether she's a banker waiting for a monthly salary of £87,400 to land with a whump, or a benefits mum waiting for her £1500 plus housing benefit, in either case I don't think she's poor.

Or at least, I don't think she's more poor than she is stupid. A person who was more poor than stupid simply wouldn't treat £37 with such abandon.

If she's earned a title, it's a Corbyn-style 'Stupid Woman', not a Corbyn-style 'Poor Woman'.


CoolHands

9,216 posts

134 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Food poverty. It’s all I ever hear on the radio. But I think this is the reality. I haven’t ever spent 37 quid on dominoes and I’ve been working my entire adult life.

Jimmy Recard

15,385 posts

118 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
Food poverty. It’s all I ever hear on the radio. But I think this is the reality. I haven’t ever spent 37 quid on dominoes and I’ve been working my entire adult life.
I think if anything, that could be part of the problem. If the money just turns up and you don’t have to do anything in particular to generate it, it’s just some tokens to you. Not something to save or even to consider.

If you’ve worked for it, you’re more likely to have a certain respect or at least concern for it

Saleen836

6,276 posts

148 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Jimmy Recard said:
I think if anything, that could be part of the problem. If the money just turns up and you don’t have to do anything in particular to generate it, it’s just some tokens to you. Not something to save or even to consider.

If you’ve worked for it, you’re more likely to have a certain respect or at least concern for it
I agree, if I sat on my backside day in day out knowing without fail (99.9% of the time) a set amount of money will be deposited to my bank account, also knowing I had no rent to worry about I probably wouldn't car about wasting it either.

kingston12

2,315 posts

96 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Saleen836 said:
Jimmy Recard said:
I think if anything, that could be part of the problem. If the money just turns up and you don’t have to do anything in particular to generate it, it’s just some tokens to you. Not something to save or even to consider.

If you’ve worked for it, you’re more likely to have a certain respect or at least concern for it
I agree, if I sat on my backside day in day out knowing without fail (99.9% of the time) a set amount of money will be deposited to my bank account, also knowing I had no rent to worry about I probably wouldn't car about wasting it either.
The crux of the problem is that more money can actually flow into the bank account that way than from doing a lot of lower level jobs, destroying any incentive to work altogether for those not ambitious/bright enough to look on them as a stepping stone to something better.

The Mad Monk

4,314 posts

56 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
Food poverty. It’s all I ever hear on the radio. But I think this is the reality. I haven’t ever spent 37 quid on dominoes and I’ve been working my entire adult life.
No, nor cribbage or shove ha'penny.

SpeckledJim

17,804 posts

192 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
The Mad Monk said:
CoolHands said:
Food poverty. It’s all I ever hear on the radio. But I think this is the reality. I haven’t ever spent 37 quid on dominoes and I’ve been working my entire adult life.
No, nor cribbage or shove ha'penny.
Watch out for skittles. Gateway game to bar billiards and it is a very slippy slope thereafter.

MWM3

1,387 posts

61 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
kingston12 said:
Totally agree that it is ridiculously profligate, and in her case stupid - she spends the last of her money on something she shouldn’t, and when it fails to deliver she can’t afford to buy anything else.

I still think that anyone with less than £50 to their name would be considered poor in the context of the real (sensible) cost of living in Britain in 2019. She is just making poor decisions by buying things she can’t afford that make her poorer still and increase the risk that she will run out of money altogether.

As has been pointed at above, in this case she has probably become skilled in frittering away the last of her money just in time for the next benefits payment to arrive. Presumably, if that arrives late for any reason, she’ll be living on ‘crisps and stuff’ or going down to the food bank until it gets there.
Thats 25% of the population then.

MWM3

1,387 posts

61 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
Food poverty. It’s all I ever hear on the radio. But I think this is the reality. I haven’t ever spent 37 quid on dominoes and I’ve been working my entire adult life.
We occasionally have a Pizza and Training Lunch at work, there is 5 of us and we order a large pizza each from Dominoes and share round. We get one of the special offers and this only ever comes out at £35 including the drinks. We stuff our faces and there is still some left over afterwards.

Agree with the other poster she is not poor but incredbly stupid.

Edited by MWM3 on Wednesday 16th January 22:39

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED