What are your unpopular opinions?

What are your unpopular opinions?

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Grahamdub

2,948 posts

88 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
It baffles me why so many people appear to give a fk either way. On BBC Breakfast the (yet to be decided) point at which he packs it in is being described as a "historic moment in sport".
Did I hear correct that Wimbledon will be having a statue of him ?

WinstonWolf

71,568 posts

184 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Countdown said:
Our Post Office is busy all day. Not only does it fill in for the banks which have departed, its handy for dropping off or picking up parcels, picking up foreign currency, picking up numerous forms and so on. We’d be screwed if they closed down.
And passport 'check and send'. I use mine to get cash out, it's within walking distance and you don't have to worry about machines with cloning devices fitted. I also do all my banking there...

Smitters

2,799 posts

102 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Chivalry/politeness is still OK...

Seems that's unpopular, since I opened a door at the office today to be greeted not with "thanks" but "I have got hands".

"Yes", I said, "but the lad behind you with an armful of packages might be grateful..."

Wonder what I'd get if I let a door swing in her face? My response of "you've got hands" would probably see me in a 'Do not pass go, do not collect £200, go directly to HR' situation. Marvelous world we live in these days.

j_4m

1,574 posts

9 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Smitters said:
Chivalry/politeness is still OK...

Seems that's unpopular, since I opened a door at the office today to be greeted not with "thanks" but "I have got hands".

"Yes", I said, "but the lad behind you with an armful of packages might be grateful..."

Wonder what I'd get if I let a door swing in her face? My response of "you've got hands" would probably see me in a 'Do not pass go, do not collect £200, go directly to HR' situation. Marvelous world we live in these days.
As the chivalric code has a lot to do with horsemanship as well as respecting honour, at that point you'd have been completely entitled to ride her down and lance her through the back.

Nik da Greek

2,467 posts

95 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Next time just start singing "You need hands..." in your best Max Bygraves (or Sex Pistols stylee, should you prefer). See if she can take it longer than you can

singlecoil

27,830 posts

191 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Smitters said:
Marvelous world we live in these days.
And a lot of women are making the most of it.

TTmonkey

14,940 posts

192 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Smitters said:
Chivalry/politeness is still OK...

Seems that's unpopular, since I opened a door at the office today to be greeted not with "thanks" but "I have got hands".

"Yes", I said, "but the lad behind you with an armful of packages might be grateful..."

Wonder what I'd get if I let a door swing in her face? My response of "you've got hands" would probably see me in a 'Do not pass go, do not collect £200, go directly to HR' situation. Marvelous world we live in these days.
Just reply "you've got really bad breath too"

Guaranteed to seriously fek up her day and yet nothing that HR could do about that.

Roger Irrelevant

1,343 posts

58 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
FredClogs said:
The reference to Dunblane is clearly out of order but a multi millionaire crying about going into retirement garners little sympathy from me. I just hope he doesn't get a job as a pundit... Who am I kidding of course he will, the BBC gave Michael Owen a job ffs.
It baffles me why so many people appear to give a fk either way. On BBC Breakfast the (yet to be decided) point at which he packs it in is being described as a "historic moment in sport".
I was thinking this myself this morning. He is (or was) a very good tennis player, and I do like and respect him for occasionally being cantankerous and not being just another always-on-message media-trained sports bore, but the way the BBC have been going on about it you'd think that Princess Di had died all over again.

Smitters

2,799 posts

102 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
j_4m said:
As the chivalric code has a lot to do with horsemanship as well as respecting honour, at that point you'd have been completely entitled to ride her down and lance her through the back.
It wouldn't be the PH way if I didn't have a little snigger at that.

Shuvi McTupya

22,763 posts

192 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
singlecoil said:
It baffles me why so many people appear to give a fk either way. On BBC Breakfast the (yet to be decided) point at which he packs it in is being described as a "historic moment in sport".
Did I hear correct that Wimbledon will be having a statue of him ?
If Henman has a Hill, Murray should have a Monument, or a Mint.

Isaac Hunt

10,264 posts

156 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Roger Irrelevant said:
I was thinking this myself this morning. He is (or was) a very good tennis player, and I do like and respect him for occasionally being cantankerous and not being just another always-on-message media-trained sports bore, but the way the BBC have been going on about it you'd think that Princess Di had died all over again.
Indeed.

I really wanted to join the police force when I was younger and clearly I think I would have been a bloody good copper. But in those days I was too short and too shortsighted. That was it, the end to my perfect career.

st happens.

Nik da Greek

2,467 posts

95 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
On the Breakfast news the sports reporter was asked by the drone on the sofa "Has he said what he might do with the rest of his life?"

a) of all the banal questions, ii) how the hell would she know 3) who the hell gives a XXXX and errrr iv) whatever it is he does, I'm sure it'll be easier for a multi-billionaire forced to quit his job through ill health than it would most people rolleyes

TTmonkey

14,940 posts

192 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Nik da Greek said:
On the Breakfast news the sports reporter was asked by the drone on the sofa "Has he said what he might do with the rest of his life?"

a) of all the banal questions, ii) how the hell would she know 3) who the hell gives a XXXX and errrr iv) whatever it is he does, I'm sure it'll be easier for a multi-billionaire forced to quit his job through ill health than it would most people rolleyes
They should probably ask Judy anyway, not Andy.

Nik da Greek

2,467 posts

95 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
TTmonkey said:
Nik da Greek said:
On the Breakfast news the sports reporter was asked by the drone on the sofa "Has he said what he might do with the rest of his life?"

a) of all the banal questions, ii) how the hell would she know 3) who the hell gives a XXXX and errrr iv) whatever it is he does, I'm sure it'll be easier for a multi-billionaire forced to quit his job through ill health than it would most people rolleyes
They should probably ask Judy anyway, not Andy.
"Tidy his sock drawer"?

bristolracer

2,985 posts

94 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Well as we are on the Tennis

The BBC's utter devotion to the the sport of Tennis and its deep rooted relationship with the Wimbledon tennis club is draining the corporation of much needed money to actually make some television programmes.
It is a middle class sport, watched by people who could comfortably pay to view.

slipstream 1985

6,541 posts

124 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
TTmonkey said:
Smitters said:
Chivalry/politeness is still OK...

Seems that's unpopular, since I opened a door at the office today to be greeted not with "thanks" but "I have got hands".

"Yes", I said, "but the lad behind you with an armful of packages might be grateful..."

Wonder what I'd get if I let a door swing in her face? My response of "you've got hands" would probably see me in a 'Do not pass go, do not collect £200, go directly to HR' situation. Marvelous world we live in these days.
Just reply "you've got really bad breath too"

Guaranteed to seriously fek up her day and yet nothing that HR could do about that.
I didn't hold the door open because you're a lady, I held it open because i'm a gentleman.



Truckosaurus

7,141 posts

229 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
bristolracer said:
....
It is a middle class sport, watched by people who could comfortably pay to view.
See also: Rugby (Union).

DocJock

6,005 posts

185 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
99% of televised rugby is on pay to view channels

Frank7

3,446 posts

32 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
DocJock said:
99% of televised rugby is on pay to view channels
Thank Christ for that, it does my swede if I’m channel surfing and land on rugby.
An equal combination or not “getting” it, and flat out bored by it, run a bit, stop and all fall over, rinse and repeat, ad nauseam.

hyphen

10,623 posts

35 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
bristolracer said:
Well as we are on the Tennis

The BBC's utter devotion to the the sport of Tennis and its deep rooted relationship with the Wimbledon tennis club is draining the corporation of much needed money to actually make some television programmes.
It is a middle class sport, watched by people who could comfortably pay to view.
What about those female players with a build and muscle that makes the more similar to males?

whistle
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED