The wet and windy, with occasional snow, 2018/2019 thread

The wet and windy, with occasional snow, 2018/2019 thread

Author
Discussion

rossub

2,246 posts

135 months

Wednesday 5th December 2018
quotequote all
Saw -7c register on my car this morning on the outskirts of Aberdeen. Still only 1c at mid-day.

Puggit

Original Poster:

41,721 posts

193 months

Wednesday 5th December 2018
quotequote all
Looks like MetO agrees!


RicksAlfas

9,899 posts

189 months

Wednesday 5th December 2018
quotequote all
I don't care as long as it stops raining. grumpy

xcseventy

118 posts

21 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
First 3 days of the week were pretty cold up here (Glasgow) but what made it really interesting was the rain that fell onto the ice, making roads and pavements like a bloody ice rink! Still, this was Tuesday morning up Ben Lomond:


Currently rain and around 5 degrees.

Next week is looking superb, full sun, hovering around zero all week.

Stan the Bat

4,941 posts

157 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
Nice pic thumbup

colin_p

2,001 posts

157 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
colin_p said:
With absolutely no knowledge at all except thinking about a sprig of imaginary magic seaweed nailed to a stick, my prediction is;

More and more warm, wet and windy and Sommerset underwater by Boxing day. (The Sommerset bit might not happen and the warm, wet and windy might not happen either).
The magic seaweed still says "rain-a-maggeddon and nearly as warm as a typical summer".

Puggit, is the Atlantic going to continue to slay beasts from the East? Just watched the weather on the BBC news and it is as the magic seaweed above, very wet indeed.

Scabutz

1,789 posts

25 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
colin_p said:
The magic seaweed still says "rain-a-maggeddon and nearly as warm as a typical summer".

Puggit, is the Atlantic going to continue to slay beasts from the East? Just watched the weather on the BBC news and it is as the magic seaweed above, very wet indeed.
Was the same this time last year. Grey, mild, wet. Booooooring

deckster

4,527 posts

200 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
Scabutz said:
colin_p said:
The magic seaweed still says "rain-a-maggeddon and nearly as warm as a typical summer".

Puggit, is the Atlantic going to continue to slay beasts from the East? Just watched the weather on the BBC news and it is as the magic seaweed above, very wet indeed.
Was the same this time last year. Grey, mild, wet. Booooooring
Certainly was not. Second weekend of December last year I was stuck on the M1 in a blizzard.

Scabutz

1,789 posts

25 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
deckster said:
Certainly was not. Second weekend of December last year I was stuck on the M1 in a blizzard.
Oh. Don't remember that. I was training for something and doing long cycle rides and all remember was the rain.

MentalSarcasm

5,953 posts

156 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
Last year on 10 December my corner of Essex had snow (had to go back and look at the photos I took on my phone to check the day).

colin_p

2,001 posts

157 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
deckster said:
Scabutz said:
colin_p said:
The magic seaweed still says "rain-a-maggeddon and nearly as warm as a typical summer".

Puggit, is the Atlantic going to continue to slay beasts from the East? Just watched the weather on the BBC news and it is as the magic seaweed above, very wet indeed.
Was the same this time last year. Grey, mild, wet. Booooooring
Certainly was not. Second weekend of December last year I was stuck on the M1 in a blizzard.
I remember it as well, it even snowed here in the normally sub-tropical Thames Valley. It snowed again in late Dec, very rare. The Atlantic was most certainly on holiday last Winter, in fact most of this year with that horrible summer we have just had.

Mr-B

2,157 posts

139 months

Thursday 6th December 2018
quotequote all
Was looking at photos the other day on my phone and 10th December in the Midlands there was pretty deep snow around. Another similar load at the beginning of March too.

Cold

7,317 posts

35 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
Soggy. Today is soggy.

carinatauk

1,046 posts

197 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
Cold said:
Soggy. Today is soggy.
It's that soggy that dogs won't go outside, until they are desperate.

S100HP

10,001 posts

112 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
carinatauk said:
Cold said:
Soggy. Today is soggy.
It's that soggy that dogs won't go outside, until they are desperate.
Two of mine wouldn't get up. The third happily had his rain coat put on, stuck his nose outside then buggered off back to his bed. It is grim.

Puggit

Original Poster:

41,721 posts

193 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
No good news at the is point really. The cold northerly and easterly winds have watered down. At least the Atlantic will be quieter for a short period.

As always, plenty of hopeful signs for the mid-future, but they keep getting pushed back. We're at the point now of losing a cold/white Xmas, for the usual warm wet, brown/green guff.

frown

Usually when I throw in the towel, within 24 hours we're staring down the barrel of a severe cold spell - here's hoping

Paul Dishman

3,275 posts

182 months

Friday 7th December 2018
quotequote all
colin_p said:
I remember it as well, it even snowed here in the normally sub-tropical Thames Valley. It snowed again in late Dec, very rare. The Atlantic was most certainly on holiday last Winter, in fact most of this year with that horrible summer we have just had.
We’ve had a fabulous summer, dry sunny and hot.
I hate cold weather


Edited by Paul Dishman on Friday 7th December 15:28

Nigel_O

1,671 posts

164 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
One year ago today, I slithered across to north Wales in my Alfa GT with my son for some winter photography. You can see in the tracks behind the car that underside was scraping the snow - great day out smile

Alfa in the snow by Nigel Ogram, on Flickr

Northwest view from the south shore of Lake Vyrnwy by Nigel Ogram, on Flickr

schmalex

12,963 posts

151 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
^^^ belting photographs thumbup

MentalSarcasm

5,953 posts

156 months

Sunday 9th December 2018
quotequote all
So the Atlantic is what's blocking our cold? What is it that makes it stop blocking it? XD (I'm sure I ask this every year but I can never remember all the different set ups and what they cause)