Tell Us Something Really Trivial About Your Life (Vol 31)

Tell Us Something Really Trivial About Your Life (Vol 31)

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

DickyC

Original Poster:

33,910 posts

143 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Oh, gawd, what have I clicked on now?

A few minutes ago a notice slid up from the bottom of my screen inviting me to become an Avon representative.

Bing-bong! Avon calling!

No? Before your time?

Okay.


And now this has just appeared:

Getting Started with Latin: Beginning Latin for Homeschoolers and Self-Taught Students of Any Age

by William E. Linney

What's preventing you from teaching Latin in your homeschool or learning it on your own?

Complete and utter disinterest, that's what, William.

I hated Latin at school. My first three years at secondary school were blighted by having to attend Latin classes. It was taught by the Deputy Headmaster who was passionate about his subject but quite unable to inspire passion in anyone about anything and openly dismayed at our indifference. His administrative duties took away from the classroom often. When he went he would leave a Heath Robinson contraption of his own devising that permitted different lengths loops of tape to run through an antiquated open reel audio tape player. He would set up a loop of him conjugating a verb in his dreary voice for however long he was away; sometimes the whole lesson. Amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant. Fcensoredk off idiot.

Three years, nine end of term exams and I peaked at 7%. Just now I had to look up amo, amas, amat. I could only remember the first three.

glenrobbo

15,926 posts

95 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Knock knock!

"Who's there?"

"It's Avon: Your doorbell's fked".

toasty

5,414 posts

165 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
glenrobbo said:
Something something something Pawnee Arapaho Iroquois Blackfoot.
Listening to Kings of the Wild Frontier?

glenrobbo

15,926 posts

95 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
I didn't study Latin at school, I chose a modern language instead.

Just think, if I had, I could have been a naturist like that big fellow with a beard that Lenny Henry used to impersonate. Or a doctor of something or the other. rolleyes

But I can feel Dicky's love of it percolating through his prose. wink

Good Lord, is that the time? yikes It's a demi-hour past III o'clock.
I have to be at my daughter's by IV.
I must fly! Farewell brothers! wavey

P5BNij

4,021 posts

51 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
DickyC said:
nonsequitur said:
Pericoloso said:
I haven't had much to say this week .

So I'll just post a pic.





Dammit.

A dam .
Aneve
nono

A dam.
Are you adamant that it's a damnably fine looking dam Dicky, or are you just Adam Adamant...? wink



22.00hrs 'on call' tonight, if the balloon goes up I may find myself on a low level recce job over Neasden Junction or Cricklewood Carriage Sidings. Wish me luck, bravehearts.

Bobberoo99

9,757 posts

43 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
glenrobbo said:
I didn't study Latin at school, I chose a modern language instead.

Just think, if I had, I could have been a naturist like that big fellow with a beard that Lenny Henry used to impersonate. Or a doctor of something or the other. rolleyes

But I can feel Dicky's love of it percolating through his prose. wink

Good Lord, is that the time? yikes It's a demi-hour past III o'clock.
I have to be at my daughter's by IV.
I must fly! Farewell brothers! wavey
Mustn't say anything about Medieval English.
Mustn't say anything about Medieval English.
Mustn't say anything about Medieval English........

nonsequitur

9,916 posts

61 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
DickyC said:
nonsequitur said:
Pericoloso said:
I haven't had much to say this week .

So I'll just post a pic.





Dammit.

A dam .
Aneve
nono

A dam.
Are you adamant that it's a damnably fine looking dam Dicky, or are you just Adam Adamant...? wink



22.00hrs 'on call' tonight, if the balloon goes up I may find myself on a low level recce job over Neasden Junction or Cricklewood Carriage Sidings. Wish me luck, bravehearts.
Just Stand and Deliver, like Prince Charming.

DickyC

Original Poster:

33,910 posts

143 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Are you adamant that it's a damnably fine looking dam Dicky, or are you just Adam Adamant...? wink

His companion rode a scooter, if you recall. A short scene that impressed me was her stopping and turning the handle bars to enable us, the viewers, to see her pursuers' car in her mirror. I can remember being intrigued by the care taken to set up the shot and the unlikelihood of her being able to see the reflection at the same time as us. I was an odd child.

Did I say I worked in Wembley for a long time? As an adult, not child labour. You were there the other evening I believe you said.

Chunkymonkey_71

12,960 posts

143 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
A new volume and I wasn't alerted?

Hmph.

DickyC

Original Poster:

33,910 posts

143 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Chunkymonkey_71 said:
A new volume and I wasn't alerted?

Hmph.
You're still on the distribution list, Chunks. I can't explain it, oh Volume 1, Page 1 veteran.

Bobberoo99

9,757 posts

43 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Hi Chunks!!! wavey

V6 Pushfit

10,705 posts

55 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Chunkymonkey_71 said:
A new volume and I wasn't alerted?

Hmph.
Is that more than 30mph?

glenrobbo

15,926 posts

95 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
toasty said:
glenrobbo said:
Something something something Pawnee Arapaho Iroquois Blackfoot.
Listening to Kings of the Wild Frontier?
Nope, I'm too old for the Adam Ant era, I'm more of a "Davy Crockett", King of the Wild Frontier guy. But I lost my coonskin hat years ago. It may be still at the Alamo.

Bobberoo99

9,757 posts

43 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
We've been watching Les Miserable, it's quite an apt name!!!

fatboy18

16,491 posts

156 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Bobberoo99 said:
We've been watching Les Miserable, it's quite an apt name!!!
Had to clench my cheeks when that bloke got the tooth pliers out! Ouch

Bobberoo99

9,757 posts

43 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
fatboy18 said:
Bobberoo99 said:
We've been watching Les Miserable, it's quite an apt name!!!
Had to clench my cheeks when that bloke got the tooth pliers out! Ouch
Grim doesn't come close, and then to add insult to injury the scribe tells her she's gone the wrong way about it!!!!

glenrobbo

15,926 posts

95 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Bobberoo99 said:
We've been watching Les Miserable, it's quite an apt name!!!
I always preferred Les Dawson smile

DickyC

Original Poster:

33,910 posts

143 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
LATEST: Trivbury Man Goes Into Hiding After Killing A4 Avant Shed Thread in General Gassing With Silly Music Joke.

glenrobbo

15,926 posts

95 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
DickyC said:
LATEST: Trivbury Man Goes Into Hiding After Killing A4 Avant Shed Thread in General Gassing With Silly Music Joke.
I think you got away with it, Dicky. The shed thread lives on... it shows a remarkable resilience. smile

Pericoloso

40,351 posts

108 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Any room in Triv isolation ward for a sleep deprivation case ?

I haven't slept for any meaningful time since Tuesday.

Wait.

I haven't slept properly for possibly4 decades.

Pass the pills nnurse Dignitas.

Edited by Pericoloso on Saturday 12th January 03:35

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED