Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol 6)

Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol 6)

Author
Discussion

MartG

14,879 posts

151 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
DoubleD said:
MartG said:
DoubleD said:
MartG said:
lornemalvo said:
Any TV show with "Celebrity" in the title, they're usually nonentities with zero talent for anything...
I find it really strange that despite 'celebrities' on panel shows repeatedly demonstrating to everyone how dumb and ignorant they actually are, the masses still regard them as role models frown
Celebs are just normal people who are famous, so they aren't going to be any more intelligent than if they weren't a celeb.
But many of them display a level of ignorance which is absolutely astounding - I can only assume that they concentrated on their little showbiz world from an early age and didn't learn anything about the world outside their personal media bubble frown
I wonder how you would get on in front of a large audience and a camera crew.
How I would do has nothing to do with the subject - which is that some celebrities are appallingly ignorant of everyday things, never mind anything complex, yet some people regard them as role models frown

Clockwork Cupcake

61,838 posts

219 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
MartG said:
How I would do has nothing to do with the subject - which is that some celebrities are appallingly ignorant of everyday things, never mind anything complex, yet some people regard them as role models frown
Exactly. yes

lornemalvo

287 posts

15 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
DoubleD said:
MartG said:
lornemalvo said:
Any TV show with "Celebrity" in the title, they're usually nonentities with zero talent for anything...
I find it really strange that despite 'celebrities' on panel shows repeatedly demonstrating to everyone how dumb and ignorant they actually are, the masses still regard them as role models frown
Celebs are just normal people who are famous, so they aren't going to be any more intelligent than if they weren't a celeb.
Exactly , they are neither more intelligent or interesting than non celebs, and are often less so because they are obsessed with appearance. So why have them on talk shows etc?

lornemalvo

287 posts

15 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
DoubleD said:
Cantaloupe said:
DoubleD said:
I wonder how you would get on in front of a large audience and a camera crew.
I still think I could name more than a couple of 20th Century US presidents,
or on what continent is Chad situated, even under that huge pressure
of being in a room with people and cameras.
Give it a go and see how you get on, I bet its tougher than you think.
Plenty of ordinary people seem to cope just fine on quiz shoes like The Chase etc

lornemalvo

287 posts

15 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
lornemalvo said:
DoubleD said:
MartG said:
lornemalvo said:
Any TV show with "Celebrity" in the title, they're usually nonentities with zero talent for anything...
I find it really strange that despite 'celebrities' on panel shows repeatedly demonstrating to everyone how dumb and ignorant they actually are, the masses still regard them as role models frown
Celebs are just normal people who are famous, so they aren't going to be any more intelligent than if they weren't a celeb.
Exactly , they are neither more intelligent or interesting than non celebs, and are often less so because they are obsessed with appearance. So why have them on talk shows etc?
i watched a bimbo on the Jeremy Vine show the other week being asked for her opinion on the Brexit negotiations. She was like a rabbit in the headlights and after stuttering and stammering, she admitted she didn't have a clue about any of it (the question was straightforward). She clearly hasn't watched the news for the last three years, so why have her on a talk show? Answer, to attract younger viewers. It was sad to watch

Lemming Train

3,834 posts

19 months

Sunday 20th October
quotequote all
My annoyance for today are perpetually offended people who see thread titles and know that the content within is likely to offend them, but rather than doing the sensible thing and moving on to the next thread, instead they decide to come in and then post a lot of outrage about how offended they are by it all and bh about the mods "not doing their job" in a thread that has existed for 276 pages without any issue. rolleyes

Frank7

3,828 posts

34 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
lornemalvo said:
i watched a bimbo on the Jeremy Vine show the other week being asked for her opinion on the Brexit negotiations. She was like a rabbit in the headlights and after stuttering and stammering, she admitted she didn't have a clue about any of it (the question was straightforward). She clearly hasn't watched the news for the last three years, so why have her on a talk show? Answer, to attract younger viewers. It was sad to watch
Bimbo, now there’s a word I haven’t heard since Millican
and Nesbit won Opportunity Knocks in the seventies.

Shakermaker

9,930 posts

47 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
lornemalvo said:
Any TV show with "Celebrity" in the title...
Actually I was thinking about this the other day, and it might warrant its own thread.

What would be the "PH Acceptable" group of Celebrities to partake in these shows, such as Strictly Come Dancing (Which is the "best" show for Celebs, I believe) or "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here"

Can we imagine Arti Vatanen doing the Tango? Vicki Butler-Henderson chomping down on some kangaroo testes?

RizzoTheRat

18,384 posts

139 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
Surely the best thing about this is that it means there's a TV programme called "Pointless Celebrities" biggrin

Shakermaker

9,930 posts

47 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
Surely the best thing about this is that it means there's a TV programme called "Pointless Celebrities" biggrin
They knew exactly what they were doing when they named that show

lornemalvo

287 posts

15 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
Actually I was thinking about this the other day, and it might warrant its own thread.

What would be the "PH Acceptable" group of Celebrities to partake in these shows, such as Strictly Come Dancing (Which is the "best" show for Celebs, I believe) or "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here"

Can we imagine Arti Vatanen doing the Tango? Vicki Butler-Henderson chomping down on some kangaroo testes?
I can imagine Vicki Butler-Henderson doing a lot of things

matchmaker

6,757 posts

147 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
lornemalvo said:
Shakermaker said:
Actually I was thinking about this the other day, and it might warrant its own thread.

What would be the "PH Acceptable" group of Celebrities to partake in these shows, such as Strictly Come Dancing (Which is the "best" show for Celebs, I believe) or "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here"

Can we imagine Arti Vatanen doing the Tango? Vicki Butler-Henderson chomping down on some kangaroo testes?
I can imagine Vicki Butler-Henderson doing a lot of things
VBH can chew my testes any time she likes...

Shakermaker

9,930 posts

47 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
...worst one recently was at a museum or gallery in London. I sat, did what I needed to do, and stood up to wipe.
that's not a technique I'm familiar with... just don't describe it to me in any more detail

Cotty

34,191 posts

231 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
MartG said:
How I would do has nothing to do with the subject - which is that some celebrities are appallingly ignorant of everyday things, never mind anything complex, yet some people regard them as role models frown
Lots of people are below average intelligence. They look at a celebrity and think if they can make it then so can I, so they are inspirational to some people.

V8mate

42,866 posts

136 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
Cotty said:
MartG said:
How I would do has nothing to do with the subject - which is that some celebrities are appallingly ignorant of everyday things, never mind anything complex, yet some people regard them as role models frown
Lots of people are below average intelligence. They look at a celebrity and think if they can make it then so can I, so they are inspirational to some people.
Not sure how true it is, but I heard that almost 50% of people are!

Clockwork Cupcake

61,838 posts

219 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
V8mate said:
Not sure how true it is, but I heard that almost 50% of people are!
Not necessarily. In a sequence of "1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6" only 3 of those numbers are below average. wink

So although I acknowledge the humour of your reply, I think Cotty was correct in merely saying "lots" rather than "50%". smile

yellowjack

12,193 posts

113 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
yellowjack said:
...worst one recently was at a museum or gallery in London. I sat, did what I needed to do, and stood up to wipe.
that's not a technique I'm familiar with... just don't describe it to me in any more detail
Dude - if you'd used as many portaloos as i have had to, then you wouldn't risk wiping while sat down, I can tell you...

yellowjack

12,193 posts

113 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
Lemming Train said:
My annoyance for today are perpetually offended people who see thread titles and know that the content within is likely to offend them, but rather than doing the sensible thing and moving on to the next thread, instead they decide to come in and then post a lot of outrage about how offended they are by it all and bh about the mods "not doing their job" in a thread that has existed for 276 pages without any issue. rolleyes
Don't be so juvenile...

getmecoat

Grahamdub

3,093 posts

90 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
I know litterers (is that a word ?) have been covered before, but the ones that particularly annoy me lately are the ones who drop tissues. While I am out walking the slowest dog in the world I, often pick up litter as we go and drop it in the next bin I pass, but I find tissues disgusting. You have no idea if they have been used or not, so I end up using a dog poo bag to pick them up, which is probably a bit ott, but I'd rather not have someones snot all over my hand.

nonsequitur

10,455 posts

63 months

Monday 21st October
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
I know litterers (is that a word ?) have been covered before, but the ones that particularly annoy me lately are the ones who drop tissues. While I am out walking the slowest dog in the world I, often pick up litter as we go and drop it in the next bin I pass, but I find tissues disgusting. You have no idea if they have been used or not, so I end up using a dog poo bag to pick them up, which is probably a bit ott, but I'd rather not have someones snot all over my hand.
Exellent. Some kind of award, surely?