Bottle of wine a night.. every night?

Bottle of wine a night.. every night?

Author
Discussion

A911DOM

4,084 posts

167 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
Holy st...

I started a thread some time back about 'am I drinking too much / too little' and the amounts I listed (which are somewhat higher than being discussed here) would probably give you lot a heart attack.

I know that I should probably cut down, and I also know that some of it is probably habit - but having given up smoking Im afraid I cant see myself kicking the alcohol into touch anytime soon, far too many fantastic beers, wines and whiskys out there.

Only drinking 1 night a week rofl


vixen1700

9,987 posts

202 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
jimbobsimmonds said:
"Can you go 3 weeks without a drop?"
That would be hard, in the fact that I haven't gone a day without a drink in years and years. yikes

JumboBeef

3,725 posts

109 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
vixen1700 said:
jimbobsimmonds said:
"Can you go 3 weeks without a drop?"
That would be hard, in the fact that I haven't gone a day without a drink in years and years. yikes
Really, that is a problem. Not one day off in 13 years?

vixen1700

9,987 posts

202 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
JumboBeef said:
vixen1700 said:
jimbobsimmonds said:
"Can you go 3 weeks without a drop?"
That would be hard, in the fact that I haven't gone a day without a drink in years and years. yikes
Really, that is a problem. Not one day off in 13 years?
Probably not to be honest, wine virtually all the time, the odd couple of pints of bitter then a messy night of Stellas/whiskey round a mates every month and a half or so.

But yeah, drinking wine with my missus every night.

Wish I hadn't clicked on this thread now. frown

Balmoral Green

30,858 posts

180 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
Stevenj214 said:
36 units Mon-Thurs + whatever you drink over the weekend (if your habits are different). For comparison, the recommended guidelines for a man are no more than 21 units per week (and no more than 4 in any one day).
From The Times, and various other media sources a few years back.....

Guidelines on safe alcohol consumption limits that have shaped health policy in Britain for 20 years were “plucked out of the air” as an “intelligent guess”.

The Times reveals today that the recommended weekly drinking limits of 21 units of alcohol for men and 14 for women, first introduced in 1987 and still in use today, had no firm scientific basis whatsoever.

Subsequent studies found evidence which suggested that the safety limits should be raised, but they were ignored by a succession of health ministers.

One found that men drinking between 21 and 30 units of alcohol a week had the lowest mortality rate in Britain. Another concluded that a man would have to drink 63 units a week, or a bottle of wine a day, to face the same risk of death as a teetotaller.

The disclosure that the 1987 recommendation was prompted by “a feeling that you had to say something” came from Richard Smith, a member of the Royal College of Physicians working party that produced it.

He told The Times that the committee’s epidemiologist had confessed that “it’s impossible to say what’s safe and what isn’t” because “we don’t really have any data whatsoever”.

Mr Smith, a former Editor of the British Medical Journal, said that members of the working party were so concerned by growing evidence of the chronic damage caused by heavy, long-term drinking that they felt obliged to produce guidelines. “Those limits were really plucked out of the air. They were not based on any firm evidence at all. It was a sort of intelligent guess by a committee,” he said.

Mr Smith’s disclosure casts doubt on the accuracy of a report published this week that blamed middle-class wine drinkers for placing some of Britain’s most affluent towns at the top of the “hazardous drinking” list.

The study, commissioned by the Government, relied on the 1987 guidelines when it suggested that men drinking more than 21 units a week and women consuming more than 14 units put their health “at significant risk”.







Edited by Balmoral Green on Tuesday 11th January 18:12

Advertisement

redleader1

Original Poster:

72 posts

91 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
Ive got to be honest, I am in and out of peoples homes day in day out and rarley see and empty bottle recycling tub outside, I think seeing this a lot kept me thinking its ok coz if they are doing it, cant be that bad...

Although the last 2 weeks have been a bit of a drag, only because i miss it a bit, but on the upside I have found out that my girlfriend is actually quite interesting!!! laugh

But in all seriousness I do feel better waking up and more alert during the day, getting off to sleep is harder... And I was a big snorrer apparently?? that has stopped too...

As much as I like wine and I mean really like wine, I am defenatley going to keep this up but have only 1 night a week at the weekend where a whole bottle is allowed.

God when you think for the last 12 years at least I have consumed a bottle a night.......

Mr E Driver

8,542 posts

116 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
When I was married ex wifey and me would share a bottle most evenings, then we cut back and just had wine Thursday to Sunday. When I got my own place at first I was drinking a bottle every night and then I cut it down to half a bottle a night.
Now 7 years later I might not have any for a week or a month and now when I open a bottle (always red) it will last two or three evenings over four days.
Often tastes better the next day too!

TameRacingDriver

11,962 posts

204 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
Balmoral Green said:
Stevenj214 said:
36 units Mon-Thurs + whatever you drink over the weekend (if your habits are different). For comparison, the recommended guidelines for a man are no more than 21 units per week (and no more than 4 in any one day).
From The Times, and various other media sources a few years back.....

Guidelines on safe alcohol consumption limits that have shaped health policy in Britain for 20 years were “plucked out of the air” as an “intelligent guess”.

The Times reveals today that the recommended weekly drinking limits of 21 units of alcohol for men and 14 for women, first introduced in 1987 and still in use today, had no firm scientific basis whatsoever.

Subsequent studies found evidence which suggested that the safety limits should be raised, but they were ignored by a succession of health ministers.

One found that men drinking between 21 and 30 units of alcohol a week had the lowest mortality rate in Britain. Another concluded that a man would have to drink 63 units a week, or a bottle of wine a day, to face the same risk of death as a teetotaller.

The disclosure that the 1987 recommendation was prompted by “a feeling that you had to say something” came from Richard Smith, a member of the Royal College of Physicians working party that produced it.

He told The Times that the committee’s epidemiologist had confessed that “it’s impossible to say what’s safe and what isn’t” because “we don’t really have any data whatsoever”.

Mr Smith, a former Editor of the British Medical Journal, said that members of the working party were so concerned by growing evidence of the chronic damage caused by heavy, long-term drinking that they felt obliged to produce guidelines. “Those limits were really plucked out of the air. They were not based on any firm evidence at all. It was a sort of intelligent guess by a committee,” he said.

Mr Smith’s disclosure casts doubt on the accuracy of a report published this week that blamed middle-class wine drinkers for placing some of Britain’s most affluent towns at the top of the “hazardous drinking” list.

The study, commissioned by the Government, relied on the 1987 guidelines when it suggested that men drinking more than 21 units a week and women consuming more than 14 units put their health “at significant risk”.
Gotta be honest, I was thinking of starting a thread on this, about whether this had any scientific basis whatsoever or whether it was just plucked out of the air, which I strongly suspected.

I used to drink a bottle of wine or more every night. Now I'm not, but not because I believe in some arbitrary limit, but because I want to lose some flab, and have found drinking wrecks my sleep and gives me heartburn. I still like to get hammered once a week though, and maybe a few drinks at home of a weekend.

BigAlinEmbra

1,629 posts

144 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
Fair comment on the unit limits being somewhat spuriously calculated, but I don't know many doctors that smash a bottle away every single night.
On the basis they're generally a relatively health conscious bunch, I'm more inclined to side with them than people on teh internetz that think "it's all lies, drink as much as you like".

To the OP, I'd say go for everything in moderation, including moderation.
I'd try to cut it down to a bottle or so 2-3 times a week for starters.

goldblum

10,272 posts

99 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
A bottle of wine a night is borderline alcoholism.

There is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for drinking this amount,and before long you'll have a big veiny nose and red face,just like those mendicants

outside the railway station.Then it'll be Tennants Super.(Trampagne!)

silvagod

781 posts

92 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
Feck....DRRRink

redleader1

Original Poster:

72 posts

91 months

Tuesday 11th January 2011
quotequote all
goldblum said:
A bottle of wine a night is borderline alcoholism.

There is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for drinking this amount,and before long you'll have a big veiny nose and red face,just like those mendicants

outside the railway station.Then it'll be Tennants Super.(Trampagne!)
Trampagne!!!!! ha ha ha Thats funny.... I wonder if any of the lager manufacturers have the balls to launch that range... laugh

I hate watching those old spunkers outside the doll office swiging on that stuff... I sort of feel that I helped pay for it!! Thats it im not paying any more tax... I feel that this will help these pondlife back to full recovery!! LOL.....

The Ferret

464 posts

92 months

Wednesday 12th January 2011
quotequote all
BigAlinEmbra said:
Fair comment on the unit limits being somewhat spuriously calculated, but I don't know many doctors that smash a bottle away every single night.
Doctors are among the worst for not practising what they breach. Many of them smoke, and you'd be surprised how many of them unwind after a shift with a bottle.

Drinking regularly doesn't always mean you've got a problem, its how difficult you find it living without it that's the issue in terms of whether you are dependant, and the volume which determines how much damage you're doing.

As mentioned before, going 3 weeks without a drop is a good way to find out, but simply making it through the 3 weeks means nothing. Alcoholics have to abstain for long periods as part of rehab, and many are successful - but they are still alcoholics.

If you can knock it on the head for a few weeks and not have any problems other than the odd urge for a drink then your in the clear. If you find yourself getting into difficulties every evening and trying to find excuses to have a drink then you've got an issue.

That said, you shouldn't need to do all that, you will know now in your own head whether you have a problem without the need to try and go without it.

captainzep

13,273 posts

124 months

Wednesday 12th January 2011
quotequote all
TameRacingDriver said:
Balmoral Green said:
Stevenj214 said:
36 units Mon-Thurs + whatever you drink over the weekend (if your habits are different). For comparison, the recommended guidelines for a man are no more than 21 units per week (and no more than 4 in any one day).
...members of the working party were so concerned by growing evidence of the chronic damage caused by heavy, long-term drinking that they felt obliged to produce guidelines. “Those limits were really plucked out of the air. They were not based on any firm evidence at all. It was a sort of intelligent guess by a committee,” he said.
Gotta be honest, I was thinking of starting a thread on this, about whether this had any scientific basis whatsoever or whether it was just plucked out of the air, which I strongly suspected.
Errr, lets not mix up some epidemiological quibbling with whether a bottle of wine a night is healthy. We might not have entirely 'nailed' the question of how much booze is 'theoretically' safe for a 'theoretical' person, but there is a solid foundation of medical reserach which shows various nasty health problmes creeping up on you as the units pile up.

After my own Christmas-long binge I've been booze free since last Friday. Although as TRD mentions above its got more to do with my weight and pressing financial circumstances...

Bing o

15,184 posts

151 months

Wednesday 12th January 2011
quotequote all
Just wikipediaing ethenol convinced me to knock my heavy drinking on the head. I feel so much better already for it and it's only been a month. I just hope I never go back to how I was.

Hedgeman

473 posts

163 months

Wednesday 12th January 2011
quotequote all
goldblum said:
A bottle of wine a night is borderline alcoholism.

There is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for drinking this amount
Enjoyment (and the OP says he loves wine) sounds like a perfectly valid justification to me.

If you rule out enjoyment as justification for actions, then it would cover a hell of a lot more than drinking wine.


jimbobsimmonds

1,824 posts

97 months

Wednesday 12th January 2011
quotequote all
Is a bottle between 2 a night as bad as say, 20 cigs a day? From both a health and a social point of view?

TameRacingDriver

11,962 posts

204 months

Wednesday 12th January 2011
quotequote all
jimbobsimmonds said:
Is a bottle between 2 a night as bad as say, 20 cigs a day? From both a health and a social point of view?
Half a bottle of wine versus 20 tabs a day? I'd say the tabs would be MUCH worse. I had no problems polishing off a full bottle or more of wine most nights, and I used to smoke but dont know how anyone could smoke 20 ciggies a day, every day - even less than 10 made me feel really crappy. I still have the odd ciggie now and again when I go out on the lash and the next day I can definitely feel it in my lungs. Not nice.

goldblum

10,272 posts

99 months

Thursday 13th January 2011
quotequote all
Hedgeman said:
goldblum said:
A bottle of wine a night is borderline alcoholism.

There is NO JUSTIFICATION WHATSOEVER for drinking this amount
Enjoyment (and the OP says he loves wine) sounds like a perfectly valid justification to me.

If you rule out enjoyment as justification for actions, then it would cover a hell of a lot more than drinking wine.
Lol.Enjoyment as justification for excess alcohol consumption?

'am I bordering alchaholism?????' the OP asks.The OP knows what the answer is or he wouldn't have asked.

Tennants Super next.

69 coupe

2,054 posts

143 months

Thursday 13th January 2011
quotequote all
@Redleader1, as you've been sinking a bottle of vino a day for the last 6 years.
Err! idea
Have you got any recommendations of a nice or favorite Red smile









6x365=2190x£6=£13140