Help! What is this?

Help! What is this?

Author
Discussion

deames98

Original Poster:

5 posts

5 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
Hi everyone, got a FIAT Punto 13 plate here and this metal thing is hanging down from the back, looks like it’s rusted away.

I’m looking to get a new car soon anyway so don’t really want to pay over the top for repairs.

Any advice on what it is and if it’s an easy repair I can do at home? I’m thinking it’s a strap for the exhaust but I’m no mechanic so I have no idea.

M4cruiser

2,530 posts

119 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
Looks like it's come off the exhaust.
Is it a heat shield?
Is it a previous Halford repair?

If the car is still working I'd ignore it.

kiethton

12,591 posts

149 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
Looks like the outer skin of the backbox - likely MOT failure and obvious to anybody viewing the car. Can likely get a pattern box supplied and fitted for £100 or so.

deames98

Original Poster:

5 posts

5 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
No issues with the car whatsoever, I’m just worried it’ll fall off while driving to be honest.

Definitely not Halfords but looks like it haha!

If it’s nothing important I’ll leave it alone but I’m hoping it won’t bring down the part exchange price.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,890 posts

204 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
I think I'd be tempted to cut it off. It ain't going back on, so as you say might fling off while you are driving. (Plus, you can't see it when trying to sell it)

Skyedriver

12,313 posts

251 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
It's not exhaust bandage over a hole is it?
Can I see a hole right hand side and remnants of the exhaust claggy stuff on the left?

louiechevy

435 posts

162 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
Its the outer skin of the rear exhaust box probably the original part as they tend to be double skined, cut it off if you have some metal cutters.as long as the box isn't blowing it should just be an advise on the Mot.

Scrump

15,349 posts

127 months

Wednesday 14th July
quotequote all
louiechevy said:
Its the outer skin of the rear exhaust box probably the original part as they tend to be double skined, cut it off if you have some metal cutters.as long as the box isn't blowing it should just be an advise on the Mot.
This.
A few years ago a friend arrived at my house with a similar problem on their golf. They were so worried about it that they were going to get the car trailered to an exhaust place. Instead I snipped off the loose outer skin of the silencer and told them it was safe to drive home and if they wanted a new silencer then there was no rush.
It lasted for over a year before another layer came loose and the silencer started to blow.

bmwmike

3,776 posts

77 months

Wednesday 14th July
quotequote all
Careful though, might be sharp

M4cruiser

2,530 posts

119 months

Wednesday 14th July
quotequote all
Scrump said:
Instead I snipped off the loose outer skin of the silencer and told them it was safe to drive home and if they wanted a new silencer then there was no rush.
It lasted for over a year before another layer came loose and the silencer started to blow.
Unfortunately Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow.
smile

sunbeam alpine

5,924 posts

157 months

Wednesday 14th July
quotequote all
M4cruiser said:
Scrump said:
Instead I snipped off the loose outer skin of the silencer and told them it was safe to drive home and if they wanted a new silencer then there was no rush.
It lasted for over a year before another layer came loose and the silencer started to blow.
Unfortunately Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow.
smile
I admire your optimism. I thought it was Fix It Again Today...


smile

deames98

Original Poster:

5 posts

5 months

Wednesday 14th July
quotequote all
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I’ve just cut it off and there doesn’t seem to be any issues. There’s still another 8 months until MOT is due and I’m planning on part exing the car soon anyway so I’m not very concerned.