Books - What are you reading?

Books - What are you reading?

Author
Discussion

LordGrover

30,842 posts

157 months

Friday 21st December 2018
quotequote all
Happily, the first one is free on Kindle: amazon.

rst99

386 posts

147 months

Friday 21st December 2018
quotequote all
Almost finished this. A crime novel set in the Hebrides. It is so good I have bought the rest of the trilogy.



DoctorX

4,496 posts

112 months

Friday 21st December 2018
quotequote all
rst99 said:
Almost finished this. A crime novel set in the Hebrides. It is so good I have bought the rest of the trilogy.


Mentioned a few times on this thread. Very good indeed.

unrepentant

19,348 posts

201 months

Friday 21st December 2018
quotequote all
Finally got around to reading The Boss's autobiography.

A very enjoyable read for someone like me who has been a fan since the late 70's.


droopsnoot

6,910 posts

187 months

Monday 24th December 2018
quotequote all
Just finished "Trafficked" by Lee Weeks, very good. I'm sure I've read another by the same author, a while ago.

king_ZS

45 posts

38 months

Tuesday 25th December 2018
quotequote all

realjv

794 posts

111 months

Wednesday 26th December 2018
quotequote all

Right now I'm in the middle of "Thr Long Way to A Small Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers and really liking it. Before that I'd been on a bit of a non-fiction bend the best of which was "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou which was a proper unputdownable page turner.

200Plus Club

6,700 posts

223 months

Thursday 27th December 2018
quotequote all
Desert Sniper by Ed Nash.
Some crazy chap (non military) who decided to up sticks and go to Syria to help the Kurds fight Isis. As you do!
Looks interesting enough as I'm not usually a fan of ex military men's accounts of war.

droopsnoot

6,910 posts

187 months

Friday 28th December 2018
quotequote all
Just finished the latest John Grisham book "The Reckoning". Pretty good overall, a little patchy in some bits and I didn't think there was much of an ending to it. I was losing interest towards the end of the first part and through the start of the second, but it came back after that.

LordGrover

30,842 posts

157 months

Sunday 30th December 2018
quotequote all
Once A Pilgrim - James Deeg (99p on Kindle

Rollicking story of decorated ex-SAS soldier who's early life exploits catch up with him. Almost.
Fast paced, excellent thriller - sort like a Scotch Jack Reacher in the making. Not for the highbrow aficianados, but great fun.
Second in series due out in a couple of weeks.

Prolex-UK

792 posts

153 months

Monday 31st December 2018
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Once A Pilgrim - James Deeg (99p on Kindle

Rollicking story of decorated ex-SAS soldier who's early life exploits catch up with him. Almost.
Fast paced, excellent thriller - sort like a Scotch Jack Reacher in the making. Not for the highbrow aficianados, but great fun.
Second in series due out in a couple of weeks.
+1 from me ......pre ordered the next one :-)

andy_s

14,838 posts

204 months

Monday 31st December 2018
quotequote all
Just finished Richard Morgan's Thin Air a sort of follow-on from Black Man [ie it's not a Kovacs] - superb tale set on post-colony Mars with all the Morgan hallmarks of noir-sci-fi, gritty realism and convoluted plotting set in the narration of the hard-boiled augmented head of the protagonist. If you enjoyed his other stuff (which I have immensely) you won't be disappointed with Thin Air.



Edited by andy_s on Monday 31st December 14:32

droopsnoot

6,910 posts

187 months

Monday 31st December 2018
quotequote all
I've just finished "Long Road to Mercy" by David Baldacci, featuring a new character, a loner FBI agent with a difficult past. A decent read even if that does sound a bit clichéd, possibly a little far-fetched storyline, but maybe not.

Stan the Bat

4,948 posts

157 months

Monday 31st December 2018
quotequote all
droopsnoot said:
I've just finished "Long Road to Mercy" by David Baldacci, featuring a new character, a loner FBI agent with a difficult past. A decent read even if that does sound a bit clichéd, possibly a little far-fetched storyline, but maybe not.
Not as good as his previous stuff.

IMHO.

p1doc

2,593 posts

129 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Stan the Bat said:
Not as good as his previous stuff.

IMHO.
very prolific writer have read amos decker and camel club series so far vgood just starting king and Maxwell series

and31

297 posts

72 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Just finished” SAS-Italian job” by Damien Lewis
It’s about the behind enemy lines exploits by the SAS and the Italian partisans.exiting stuff !!

Stan the Bat

4,948 posts

157 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
p1doc said:
Stan the Bat said:
Not as good as his previous stuff.

IMHO.
very prolific writer have read amos decker and camel club series so far vgood just starting king and Maxwell series
Yes, that's what I meant .

This latest one isn't as good as the earlier stuff.

Scabutz

1,849 posts

25 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
mattyn1 said:
On recommendation, I am just about to start this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldier-Spy-Tom-Marcus/dp...

Anyone read it?

I'm half way through this. fking amazing.

Amyrich

1 posts

8 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Rereading, actually. Alan Moore's Watchmen. One of my absolute favourite graphic novels!

toasty

5,414 posts

165 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Amyrich said:
Rereading, actually. Alan Moore's Watchmen. One of my absolute favourite graphic novels!
I never understood the plaudits for this. Dull book, dull artwork, dull film. All IMHO, of course.