Ferrari drop "Mission Winnow" b******ks from name

Ferrari drop "Mission Winnow" b******ks from name

Author
Discussion

JonChalk

Original Poster:

2,411 posts

57 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
According to racefans.net https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/03/ferrari-quietl...

Ferrari have dropped the PMI "Mission Winnow" bks from their name.

Hadn't realised McLaren had picked up sponsorship from BAT - A Better Tomorrow (subtle? Not).

The things people will do to subvert tobacco sponsorship rules and sell cigarettes to third world countries, eh?

TheDeuce

3,462 posts

13 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
I kinda get what PMI were trying to do, technically they found a way of still getting 'their brand' onto a Ferrari..

But to what effect? Who is going to see 'Mission Winnow' and think "hmmm... time for a smoke"!? I could totally understand it back in the days of Marlboro logo's, that an easy link and very effective.

I really can't see what they ever got out of sponsorship for PMI/MW I just don't see how that translated to the viewer.

JonChalk

Original Poster:

2,411 posts

57 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
A bit more background: https://sponsorship.sportbusiness.com/news/mclaren...

So while PMI were pretending to be working to better the human race under Mission Winnow ("Mission Winnow has a simple goal: drive change by constantly searching for better ways of doing things."), at least BAT are slightly more honest - “It gives us a truly global platform with which to drive greater resonance of our potentially reduced risk products, including our Vype, Vuse and glo brands.”

...so promoting vaping instead.

TheDeuce

3,462 posts

13 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
A bit more background: https://sponsorship.sportbusiness.com/news/mclaren...

So while PMI were pretending to be working to better the human race under Mission Winnow ("Mission Winnow has a simple goal: drive change by constantly searching for better ways of doing things."), at least BAT are slightly more honest - “It gives us a truly global platform with which to drive greater resonance of our potentially reduced risk products, including our Vype, Vuse and glo brands.”

...so promoting vaping instead.
I still don't get how the MW thing could ever translate into a return on investment for PMI, but whatever, it's their money smile

As for vaping.. I do vape myself actually. But I don't call it vaping, I just call it an ecig. In my mind, 'vaping' is for those people that have huge modified ecigs and can fog out an entire street, leaving the whole place smelling of peach or bubblegum, or whatever the kids think nicotine should smell and taste of these days.

But fair play technically. It's not a tobacco product as such, I guess if that's what they want to sell and pay to promote then no problem so long as it's legal. But to be honest, even as a user of an ecig, I didn't realise that was what BAT was!! That's how effective it isn't..

andburg

3,337 posts

116 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
At first i questioned why they would remove the name but leave the branding on the car..

Australia decides its tobacco advertising, could they actually stop the team from racing as it's name is advertising? I
If that's possible then they've removed the name and should be good to race, worst case they have to take the stickers off the car. I imagine changing team name is not a 10 minute job that could be done between a hearing and the race weekend.


Kraken

1,232 posts

147 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Personally I've always thought it daft they they can advertise alcohol all over the place but not tobacco. I'd say alcohol does far more damage socially and, perhaps, health wise than tobacco. Certainly something that shouldn't be advertised alongside cars IMO.

Big Nanas

302 posts

31 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Kraken said:
Personally I've always thought it daft they they can advertise alcohol all over the place but not tobacco. I'd say alcohol does far more damage socially and, perhaps, health wise than tobacco. Certainly something that shouldn't be advertised alongside cars IMO.
I totally agree.

Ive often wondered why celebs are not 'allowed' to be photographed smoking, but drinking is just fine (Im not a smoker, by the way).

Graveworm

2,645 posts

18 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Kraken said:
Personally I've always thought it daft they they can advertise alcohol all over the place but not tobacco. I'd say alcohol does far more damage socially and, perhaps, health wise than tobacco. Certainly something that shouldn't be advertised alongside cars IMO.
The vast majority of smokers are addicted, 67 percent of smokers die as a result of smoking. Passive smoking is almost certainly a serious issue as well. I am not defending drinking but they are not comparable in terms of the risks they present.

chunder27

2,309 posts

155 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Or gambling for that matter which is endlessly shoved up your nose no matter what sport you enjoy.

I guess the fact that you can gamble or drink in moderation is the reason, and you could probably smoke within reason too, and be perfectly likely to survive for decades. AS many people have.

LaurasOtherHalf

15,815 posts

143 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
But to be honest, even as a user of an ecig, I didn't realise that was what BAT was!! That's how effective it isn't..
Err, now you do so it would appear to be pretty effective wouldn't you say?

The Moose

18,807 posts

156 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
chunder27 said:
Or gambling for that matter which is endlessly shoved up your nose no matter what sport you enjoy.

I guess the fact that you can gamble or drink in moderation is the reason, and you could probably smoke within reason too, and be perfectly likely to survive for decades. AS many people have.
My guess is that a single drink doesn't cause any harm at all. In the same way that the occasional bet on something doesn't.

On the other hand, smoking, even only a single cigarette, definitely does cause harm.

Kraken

1,232 posts

147 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Graveworm said:
The vast majority of smokers are addicted, 67 percent of smokers die as a result of smoking. Passive smoking is almost certainly a serious issue as well. I am not defending drinking but they are not comparable in terms of the risks they present.
How about the risk in conjunction with cars though? How many people are killed/injured because of smoking in cars compared to drinking?

Statistics rarely tell the whole story. There are many reports that state drinking is far more damaging than smoking when looking at the big picture. In terms of deaths obesity is about the worst these days but doesn't have so much effect on 3rd parties.

C2Red

3,045 posts

200 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
I still don't get how the MW thing could ever translate into a return on investment for PMI, but whatever, it's their money smile
..
I’ve been there, seen the show, and it’s a very interesting proposition: not my bag, and a very clever move to keep tobacco products in the public arena.

CoolHands

10,045 posts

142 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
I think most of this type of advertising is a waste of money. I can’t really see companies do get value for it, I am mostly suspicious it’s just mates of big corps scratching other mates of big corps for some reason.

I also agree that betting is sickening, and that is plugged endlessly.

Big Nanas

302 posts

31 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
According to PlanetF1 the "Mission Winnow" branding will be back in Bahrain. It seems to be an issue with Australian advertising rules...oh well.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mission-winnow-will-...

CoolHands

10,045 posts

142 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Even though I read this thread when I posted on it, I can’t remember what cigarette brand it’s meant to be representing unless I look in a minute. So that’s effective then! I really don’t get why they chuck money at a team in this way. If I was a major shareholder I’d be having words.

LaurasOtherHalf

15,815 posts

143 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
Even though I read this thread when I posted on it, I can’t remember what cigarette brand it’s meant to be representing unless I look in a minute. So that’s effective then! I really don’t get why they chuck money at a team in this way. If I was a major shareholder I’d be having words.
When was the last time you discussed cigarette brands or wrote about them on the internet? I'd say it's working just fine.

Turn7

16,349 posts

168 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
But its ok, because Mission Winnow IS STILL all over the other PM vanity project - Ducati Motogp team.....

Derek Smith

34,773 posts

195 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
I think most of this type of advertising is a waste of money. I can’t really see companies do get value for it, I am mostly suspicious it’s just mates of big corps scratching other mates of big corps for some reason.

I also agree that betting is sickening, and that is plugged endlessly.
They will have stats that show return on the dollar. They would not spend this sort of money without guaranteed returns.

I doubt the idea is to sell fags to racegoers and those watching on TV. It's what the company does with access to the Ferrari brand that matters.

They are showing that they have credibility and they are not selling fags to kids. Not so much money laundering and reputation laundering.


StevieBee

8,084 posts

202 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
Derek Smith said:
CoolHands said:
I think most of this type of advertising is a waste of money. I can’t really see companies do get value for it, I am mostly suspicious it’s just mates of big corps scratching other mates of big corps for some reason.

I also agree that betting is sickening, and that is plugged endlessly.
They will have stats that show return on the dollar. They would not spend this sort of money without guaranteed returns.
Yep. It's far more than simply a logo on a car. Get it right and it can work tremendously well. Marlboro were seen as a low-rent, hillbilly brand before they started to spend in F1. It transformed the brand and the business.

Vice products are always the most lucrative which is why fags, booze and gambling dominate.

Worth noting too that pornography has also had a presence in the past via Penthouse in F1 and Mayfair in Group C.

One of the current porn sites (whatever they are!) tried to sponsor an F1 team a few years back but Bernie said no!