Haas chose Russiaโ€™s Nikita Mazepin

Haas chose Russiaโ€™s Nikita Mazepin

Author
Discussion

SpudLink

3,577 posts

157 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
I think the drivers who manhandled the ’80s turbo cars around the track might laugh at the suggestion 2021 cars are hard to drive.

Steamer

12,393 posts

178 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
ajprice said:
The Spanish laughing guy as Mazepin's manager smile
https://twitter.com/PlebGrandPrix/status/137644522...
rofl - every time, that guy just cracks me up

BarbaricAvatar

1,411 posts

113 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Blib said:
We have to remember that these modern F1 cars are hard to drive.
Yep it didn’t escape my attention that Mick Schumacher dropped the rear of his car on throttle in much the same way later in the race but for some reason I am not inclined to be quite so critical of him.
That's true. I noticed the similarities between the two spins. But Mick didn't hit anything and he didn't do it on the 2nd corner of the 1st lap. The worst thing for both drivers is now knowing that Haas aren't going to do anything to fix it until next year.

Adrian W

11,830 posts

193 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Blib said:
We have to remember that these modern F1 cars are hard to drive.
Yep it didn’t escape my attention that Mick Schumacher dropped the rear of his car on throttle in much the same way later in the race but for some reason I am not inclined to be quite so critical of him.
The video on this thread shows either the Haas has no grip or he was stamping on it

SpudLink

3,577 posts

157 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
The video on this thread shows either the Haas has no grip or he was stamping on it
I thought it looked like he tried to go faster by just pressing the throttle harder. If you see what I mean.

Leithen

7,533 posts

232 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
SpudLink said:
Adrian W said:
The video on this thread shows either the Haas has no grip or he was stamping on it
I thought it looked like he tried to go faster by just pressing the throttle harder. If you see what I mean.
He made the unfortunate mistake of being suckered into believing his car had the performance to keep up with the others ahead of him.

Petrus1983

4,809 posts

127 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
Steamer said:
ajprice said:
The Spanish laughing guy as Mazepin's manager smile
https://twitter.com/PlebGrandPrix/status/137644522...
rofl - every time, that guy just cracks me up
“All 28 of his fans” laugh

Funny stuff.

Jonny_

3,047 posts

172 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
kiseca said:
TheDeuce said:
Perhaps all forums should chiefly be populated by people that add nothing and nullify what is added by others? That would be.. interesting smile
that's a reasonably accurate description of PH overall right now. Apart from the "interesting" bit.
Bugger, you beat me to it smile

So am I the only one that's disappointed about MAZ spinning off, then?

I'd been looking forward to seeing him actually race, and whether his aggressive reputation held up. Was expecting fireworks! As it happens all he's done is given it a bootful too early and binned it - a feat which you can witness on the roundabout outside many retail parks on a Saturday evening...

kiseca

8,911 posts

184 months

Tuesday 30th March
quotequote all
Jonny_ said:
Bugger, you beat me to it smile

So am I the only one that's disappointed about MAZ spinning off, then?

I'd been looking forward to seeing him actually race, and whether his aggressive reputation held up. Was expecting fireworks! As it happens all he's done is given it a bootful too early and binned it - a feat which you can witness on the roundabout outside many retail parks on a Saturday evening...
I wasn't expecting him to do anything impressive at all, but he still managed to disappoint me....

TheDeuce

9,144 posts

31 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
kiseca said:
Jonny_ said:
Bugger, you beat me to it smile

So am I the only one that's disappointed about MAZ spinning off, then?

I'd been looking forward to seeing him actually race, and whether his aggressive reputation held up. Was expecting fireworks! As it happens all he's done is given it a bootful too early and binned it - a feat which you can witness on the roundabout outside many retail parks on a Saturday evening...
I wasn't expecting him to do anything impressive at all, but he still managed to disappoint me....
Exactly my feeling too! I had low expectations but I at least expected him to be around for more than 20 seconds of the race.

"It's the car, it's undriveable", sure... Except his team mate drove the same car around the same corner at higher speed that first lap without binning it, and then went on to complete the entire GP.


kiseca

8,911 posts

184 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Exactly my feeling too! I had low expectations but I at least expected him to be around for more than 20 seconds of the race.

"It's the car, it's undriveable", sure... Except his team mate drove the same car around the same corner at higher speed that first lap without binning it, and then went on to complete the entire GP.
Yes, his team mate, that other rookie also in his first GP no less.

Even Michael Andretti wasn't this bad.

Petrus1983

4,809 posts

127 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
Nikita could have won the race and I still wouldn’t like him. So this was just perfect smile

TheDeuce

9,144 posts

31 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
Petrus1983 said:
Nikita could have won the race and I still wouldn’t like him. So this was just perfect smile
Quite. "Give the kid a chance..." Ok... Spin, spin, second behind team mate in quali, spin... Lights out and... Crash.

Fairs fair biggrin

M5-911

577 posts

10 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
SpudLink said:
I think the drivers who manhandled the ’80s turbo cars around the track might laugh at the suggestion 2021 cars are hard to drive.
Do you really think that 80s turbo cars were more difficult to drive? I really doubt.

HustleRussell

19,206 posts

125 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
M5-911 said:
SpudLink said:
I think the drivers who manhandled the ’80s turbo cars around the track might laugh at the suggestion 2021 cars are hard to drive.
Do you really think that 80s turbo cars were more difficult to drive? I really doubt.
I’m sure they were.

Sandpit Steve

2,805 posts

39 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
M5-911 said:
SpudLink said:
I think the drivers who manhandled the ’80s turbo cars around the track might laugh at the suggestion 2021 cars are hard to drive.
Do you really think that 80s turbo cars were more difficult to drive? I really doubt.
Have a look at Senna at Monaco, driving most of the lap one-handed:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wQgP9nugt5I

Oh, and when they go out for qualifying, with a special engine designed to last just the one lap, it’s got 600bhp more than it had in the practice session!

M5-911

577 posts

10 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
Sandpit Steve said:
M5-911 said:
SpudLink said:
I think the drivers who manhandled the ’80s turbo cars around the track might laugh at the suggestion 2021 cars are hard to drive.
Do you really think that 80s turbo cars were more difficult to drive? I really doubt.
Have a look at Senna at Monaco, driving most of the lap one-handed:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wQgP9nugt5I

Oh, and when they go out for qualifying, with a special engine designed to last just the one lap, it’s got 600bhp more than it had in the practice session!
Yes, but still very slow to compare with today's time. Modern cars requires a much higher level of fitness.

One my clients is a f1 collector and racer (pretty good!) and he is no were near able to drive a modern f1.

Brundle himself said that the last few year, the cars have been brutal to drive and much more difficult to handle than anything he drove before. I think that I will go with people who have experienced the real deal on that one... Lol

95 fiesta si

1,214 posts

117 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
Surely the money Haas are saving on the new young driver line up there gonna loose in replacing car parts lol

Blib

37,647 posts

162 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
95 fiesta si said:
Surely the money Haas are saving on the new young driver line up there gonna loose in replacing car parts lol
Don't forget huge savings on fuel.

TheDeuce

9,144 posts

31 months

Wednesday 31st March
quotequote all
The problem mazepin has now is that the pressure to not make a similarly embarrassing mistake next outing is so great that he probably will make such a mistake.

In fact, in fairness, if he can get through the entirety of the next quali and GP without making a fool of himself again, I would actually say that is quite impressive.