Lewis Hamilton G.O.A.T. ?

Lewis Hamilton G.O.A.T. ?

Author
Discussion

Taz46

Original Poster:

3,208 posts

125 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Any one else agree with me that Lewis has the ability to be regarded as the greatest of all time? Seems to me he can get the car near or on the front regardless whether the cars 100 % (with the exception of the beginning of last year but let's face it the mclaren was a complete dog of a car) most talented driver on the grid my opinion, what's yours!?

DSM2

3,624 posts

163 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
My opinion is that you are taking the piss, in all honesty.

PabloTeK

1,073 posts

138 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Here we go again hehe

Blue Meanie

73,668 posts

218 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Sorry, but nonsense... He'll have to do a HELL of a lot more to be considered even vaguely amongst the greats.

Taz46

Original Poster:

3,208 posts

125 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
DSM2 said:
My opinion is that you are taking the piss, in all honesty.


Nope, think he has a long way to go but think if he carries on as he has then I truly believe he'll go down in the history books.

Taz46

Original Poster:

3,208 posts

125 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Blue Meanie said:
Sorry, but nonsense... He'll have to do a HELL of a lot more to be considered even vaguely amongst the greats.
Not saying he's the greatest of all time now, but I think he has the ability to be in years to come

Flanders.

6,138 posts

171 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Blimey, people really do love hamilton around here.

Blue Meanie

73,668 posts

218 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Taz46 said:
Blue Meanie said:
Sorry, but nonsense... He'll have to do a HELL of a lot more to be considered even vaguely amongst the greats.
Not saying he's the greatest of all time now, but I think he has the ability to be in years to come
yes, I realise that, hence why I said "He'll have to do a hell of a lot more...". On current form I don't think he will be considered a great. Why would you think otherwise?

nelson.tfr

121 posts

163 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
S.E.

hotmelt

861 posts

136 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Taz46 said:
Any one else agree with me that Lewis has the ability to be regarded as the greatest of all time? Seems to me he can get the car near or on the front regardless whether the cars 100 % (with the exception of the beginning of last year but let's face it the mclaren was a complete dog of a car) most talented driver on the grid my opinion, what's yours!?
I agree, but he will be among the greatest(5 or 6) of all time, not the greatest. It is hard to quantify anyway.

e36er

291 posts

144 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Flanders. said:
Blimey, people really do love hamilton around here.
Well he did jump in an F1 car and was immediately quicker than his team-mate who was world champion at the time. Do you not find that impressive?

Adrian W

11,738 posts

191 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Taz46 said:
Any one else agree with me that Lewis has the ability to be regarded as the greatest of all time? Seems to me he can get the car near or on the front regardless whether the cars 100 % (with the exception of the beginning of last year but let's face it the mclaren was a complete dog of a car) most talented driver on the grid my opinion, what's yours!?
Lets have this conversation in ten years time

Killer2005

17,930 posts

191 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
e36er said:
Flanders. said:
Blimey, people really do love hamilton around here.
Well he did jump in an F1 car and was immediately quicker than his team-mate who was world champion at the time. Do you not find that impressive?
Very very impressive, however to make him the greatest of all time is going a tad too far imho.

Conian

8,030 posts

164 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
Taz46 said:
Any one else agree with me that Lewis has the ability to be regarded as the greatest of all time? Seems to me he can get the car near or on the front regardless whether the cars 100 % (with the exception of the beginning of last year but let's face it the mclaren was a complete dog of a car) most talented driver on the grid my opinion, what's yours!?
Lets have this conversation in ten years time
i'd say 15

hotmelt

861 posts

136 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
To be frank after the golden generation of Senna, Prost, Mansell.., just two superstars emerged-Schumacher and lately Hamilton.

e36er

291 posts

144 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
Is he going to be a better driver in 10 years time then? Alonso is pretty much a 3 time world champion, so does that make him a better driver even though he's not as quick?

hairyben

8,516 posts

146 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
hotmelt said:
It is hard to quantify anyway.
^That.

He has raw speed that un-containable by merely not having the best car, but just not the consistency. Unless by some pretty special circumstances he takes the title tomorrow it'll be twice he's had a WDC almost "in the bag", won through brilliance and against the odds, thrown away though repeated impetuous mistakes.

heebeegeetee

27,123 posts

211 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
hotmelt said:
To be frank after the golden generation of Senna, Prost, Mansell.., just two superstars emerged-Schumacher and lately Hamilton.
Hamilton doesn't have the ethics of Senna or Schumacher, and is far more naturally talented then Mansell, and I'm very much a Mansell fan.

He is very, very good, and as time goes by I find more about him to like. Some of the comments he's made this year about various things have been superb.

We need more time to determine how good, though to stand on the podium in his first 9 races was absolutely exceptional. He never got chance to do an 'apprenticeship' in F1 and he's been in the full glare of the media spotlight from day one. He's certainly borne scrutiny against everyone he's raced sao far.

AndrewW-G

11,968 posts

180 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
No, IMHO, he has the raw pace, but seems to lack consistency and the ability to get the best from an underperforming car, as per others, lets see where he is in 10 years time and then decide if he even scrapes into the top 10 .

heebeegeetee

27,123 posts

211 months

Saturday 13th November 2010
quotequote all
AndrewW-G said:
but seems to lack consistency and the ability to get the best from an underperforming car,
I'd have thought he's disproved those two over the past two years. We really don't know where this year's McL is, given the disparity in McL's two wdc drivers.