Seriously Overpriced Cars

Seriously Overpriced Cars

Author
Discussion

VSKeith

100 posts

11 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
trickywoo said:
I prefer their 'Hartley' puddle to the original.
Have a rofl

EthanSmale

17,360 posts

143 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Wheel_Turned_Out said:
Speaking of Golfs - 11 thousand mile auto VR6 seems a bit strong to me at £10k.

It's a good looking thing, no doubt, but paying all that for a sluggish 20+ year old auto box seems a bit of an acquired taste.



But at least it does have some, albeit slim, collector appeal to someone for the low mileage. Then there's this '88 1.8 GL auto for only a few quid less. 72k on the clock and still £9.5k! But it has GTI trim though, so that's okay. rolleyes

I know loads have been rusted, crashed, and abused into oblivion and they're fairly rare now...but nearly ten grand for a pedestrian automatic hatchback?

Automatic VR6 is an odd one anyway. Your customer is neither interested in performance nor reasonable running costs.

I guess someone wealthy who just wants an automatic Golf and picks the big engine for no particular reason

Super_G

841 posts

62 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I’ve always found the Mercedes A45 AMG to be over-priced.

Jim the Sunderer

2,572 posts

146 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
£10k Japanese import X-Type 2.1.


https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1286312

I hope it's overpriced.

carlove

6,591 posts

131 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Jim the Sunderer said:
£10k Japanese import X-Type 2.1.


https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1286312

I hope it's overpriced.
I don’t understand that. Why import an X Type when there’s plenty of X-Types for sale here. Doesn’t look like a special spec or anything.

Wheel_Turned_Out

321 posts

2 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
carlove said:
I don’t understand that. Why import an X Type when there’s plenty of X-Types for sale here. Doesn’t look like a special spec or anything.
I'd guess the only selling point on importing it would be the comparative lack of rust on a Japan car, given how many Brit X-Types are rotten as a pear by now. Trouble is I can't imagine anyone with £10k to spend would want to buy an X-Type when they could easily get an XJ for the same money.

Probably one of those "it was already on the boat by the time they realised it was a bad idea" situations. laugh

PhantomPH

3,684 posts

189 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Wheel_Turned_Out said:
carlove said:
I don’t understand that. Why import an X Type when there’s plenty of X-Types for sale here. Doesn’t look like a special spec or anything.
I'd guess the only selling point on importing it would be the comparative lack of rust on a Japan car, given how many Brit X-Types are rotten as a pear by now. Trouble is I can't imagine anyone with £10k to spend would want to buy an X-Type when they could easily get an XJ for the same money.

Probably one of those "it was already on the boat by the time they realised it was a bad idea" situations. laugh
Psst - Japan has higher average rainfall than the uk. Plus it literally has monsoons - which I'm guessing batter the living hell out of any slightly leaky British built vehicles. I wouldn't rely on it being any less prone to rust than a UK car. wink

Wheel_Turned_Out

321 posts

2 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
PhantomPH said:
Wheel_Turned_Out said:
carlove said:
I don’t understand that. Why import an X Type when there’s plenty of X-Types for sale here. Doesn’t look like a special spec or anything.
I'd guess the only selling point on importing it would be the comparative lack of rust on a Japan car, given how many Brit X-Types are rotten as a pear by now. Trouble is I can't imagine anyone with £10k to spend would want to buy an X-Type when they could easily get an XJ for the same money.

Probably one of those "it was already on the boat by the time they realised it was a bad idea" situations. laugh
Psst - Japan has higher average rainfall than the uk. Plus it literally has monsoons - which I'm guessing batter the living hell out of any slightly leaky British built vehicles. I wouldn't rely on it being any less prone to rust than a UK car. wink
Psst - I was more angling towards the lack of salt on the roads, as I'd think a pile of salty crap caked underneath would rust through it quicker than splashed up rainwater. wink Even on something made of cardboard, like the X-Type. Given rainwater just washes off, where winter road gunk sticks until it's washed off.

Makes no odds to me either way, I'm not buying one from there or here, just guessing as to why a dealer went to the trouble of importing it and what their selling point might be. smile

epom

7,657 posts

125 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Super_G said:
I’ve always found the Mercedes A45 AMG to be over-priced.


Over priced you say ? Try buying one here !!

aaron_2000

4,462 posts

47 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Yeah great it's had a rebuilt engine, but £8k for a bug WRX?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102209...

Pommy

11,648 posts

180 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
epom said:
Super_G said:
I’ve always found the Mercedes A45 AMG to be over-priced.


Over priced you say ? Try buying one here !!
Snap..and this is used.


LetsTryAgain

2,754 posts

37 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
For the performance on offer, the A35 and 45’s (in the U.K) are pretty good VFM.

Fast Bug

9,276 posts

125 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I liked my A45, price wise there's not much in it between them, a 140 and an RS3 bar when BMW chuck lots of money at a finance deal

TORQ

178 posts

193 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I do like a MK1 Shogun, but not for this price. The seller's vocab doesn't inspire confidence, no interior picks and scabby wings. An optimistic flip I feel:

£7,999

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1314056


Amused2death

2,246 posts

160 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
TORQ said:
I do like a MK1 Shogun, but not for this price. The seller's vocab doesn't inspire confidence, no interior picks and scabby wings. An optimistic flip I feel:

£7,999

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1314056

Was up for sale for £3000 less than a month ago.

Noah EV

124 posts

3 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
TORQ said:
I do like a MK1 Shogun, but not for this price. The seller's vocab doesn't inspire confidence, no interior picks and scabby wings. An optimistic flip I feel:

£7,999

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1314056

Mad price, by my opinion! Not in perfect condition also.

TORQ

178 posts

193 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Amused2death said:
Was up for sale for £3000 less than a month ago.
Ah no way!!! Well spotted mad

AdeTuono

6,373 posts

191 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
TORQ said:
I do like a MK1 Shogun, but not for this price. The seller's vocab doesn't inspire confidence, no interior picks and scabby wings. An optimistic flip I feel:

£7,999

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1314056

It does have loads of provinonce (sic) though. Maybe it's ex-Saville? That's gotta be worth something...

sim72

3,911 posts

98 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
OllieJolly said:
£5,990 for that, or £5,695 for this:

Actually, that Passat just shows what's happened to the used car market in the last year or so. I looked at that and thought "way overpriced for a 9 year old Passat", but go and stick Passats of that age and mileage into the search box ... and it's pretty much the average.

To compare, I paid slightly less than this price for my 12 plate Passat estate ... three and a half years ago.

Mine would have been six years old then ... 15 plate ones with a similar mileage now *start* around 7K. Madness.

Dr Interceptor

6,117 posts

160 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
sim72 said:
Actually, that Passat just shows what's happened to the used car market in the last year or so. I looked at that and thought "way overpriced for a 9 year old Passat", but go and stick Passats of that age and mileage into the search box ... and it's pretty much the average.

To compare, I paid slightly less than this price for my 12 plate Passat estate ... three and a half years ago.

Mine would have been six years old then ... 15 plate ones with a similar mileage now *start* around 7K. Madness.
I think its partly down to the auctions going online only and trade only.

Before, anyone could go to BCA and buy a car, so the trade were always up against it. Now they can't, you're buying from a dealer, which allows them to actually have a margin on stock.