Are these Vloggers just a scam? SOL or Shmee etc? (Vol 2)

Are these Vloggers just a scam? SOL or Shmee etc? (Vol 2)

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

RobDown

3,685 posts

76 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Sorry realised my post crossed with a couple of others in the same vein

RemyMartin81D

5,178 posts

153 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Butter Face said:
Terrible shame for such an upstanding nice guy.
hehe



Craig_89 said:
sagarich said:
Just spotted in my YT suggestions that Sideways Sid has dropped all sideways branding as of a week ago and renamed Sid North... Have I missed something? Or has he realised that drifting on public roads and filming it is asking for trouble?
He's a good friend of Joe Achillies so wouldn't be surprised if Joe being caught out has caused him to change his channel for the better.
More likely the backlash over his Mclaren video where he came off looking like a complete tool and was called out by just about everyone in the comments and his backtracking was also called out and he ended up lying and being found out.

Muppet.

Edited by RemyMartin81D on Wednesday 13th November 12:59

Sten.

1,189 posts

82 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
culpz said:
Does anyone know what actually happened with this whole Joe Achilles speeding thing?

I watched his Cupra Ateca review the other day and his final comment before the end of the video was something along the lines of; "Don't believe everything you read in the media".

What I read online was that the local Police force had done some kind of average speed checking, just from watching his video of him in the R8, and had managed to work out that his minimum speed was never under the speed limit and the maximum was just under 100 mph.

I know the Police can do this kind of thing and I'm sure newer technology can assist with it, but I do smell BS. Apologies if this has been discussed on earlier pages.
Briefly discussed a few pages back, the entire thing confuses me because Joe is miles away from being the worst when it comes to driving 'enthusiastically' on camera. How the likes of LLF still has a driving licence amazes me.

I noticed when watching Joe's latest 340i review every time he accelerated the camera cut away to a static shot of the car. Clearly he's taking no chances these days.

S11Steve

5,620 posts

132 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Shmee said:
TorqueR said:
I saw a brand new BMW M8 Competition on the M1 earlier today, followed by an M850i and new M340i so presume they were all in convoy.

I hadn’t realised that the M8 had been released yet. Tim, when do you expect to have your M8?
The press fleets have their cars so it was quite likely that. Normally their plates start "YK" or similar.

I'm thinking it will arrive around January/February but waiting for confirmation.
BMW UK PDI centre is based in Thorne, near Doncaster - many fleet owned BMWs are registered through there, as well as all of the press cars. https://goo.gl/maps/keVYws2H3x9jvLas9

Same reason so many VAG fleet vehicles start with a G prefix - their PDI centre is in Sheerness - https://goo.gl/maps/bBTUYkVeYgqrLgMR8

jayemm89

2,380 posts

78 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
I have never spent a cent on likes or advertising for the channel. It would just be lying to myself, pointless

TorqueR

1,546 posts

80 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Shmee said:
The press fleets have their cars so it was quite likely that. Normally their plates start "YK" or similar.

I'm thinking it will arrive around January/February but waiting for confirmation.
Yes, they were all “YK69” plates but I believe that BMW register their fleet cars in South Yorkshire.

I spotted them going northbound just after J29a toward J30 so could’ve been returning to HQ.

E36Dan

7,071 posts

116 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
TorqueR said:
Shmee said:
The press fleets have their cars so it was quite likely that. Normally their plates start "YK" or similar.

I'm thinking it will arrive around January/February but waiting for confirmation.
Yes, they were all “YK69” plates but I believe that BMW register their fleet cars in South Yorkshire.

I spotted them going northbound just after J29a toward J30 so could’ve been returning to HQ.
Is that why a lot of BMW police cars start YK too? or perhaps I'm getting wires crossed. I'm sure most unmarked X5s I've seen start with YK

95JO

1,386 posts

34 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
E36Dan said:
Is that why a lot of BMW police cars start YK too? or perhaps I'm getting wires crossed. I'm sure most unmarked X5s I've seen start with YK
Most Police cars, at least here in Merseyside/Cheshire start with PO, I thought that was pretty standard though

twinturban

162 posts

70 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
jayemm89 said:
I have never spent a cent on likes or advertising for the channel. It would just be lying to myself, pointless
No idea who you are sorry but there's nothing pointless about a legal means of boosting numbers to get a channel to the point where manufacturers might start showing an interest. Fair play to Shmee or anyone else who was able to resist that temptation but most businesses are happy to take any opportunities to transform their revenue that are available.

It's another advantage that the wealthy youtubers have. They can buy their way into recognition. I have no issue with anyone being born into a wealthy family, but I object to the lie that is being sold that anyone with an iphone can set up a youtube channel and end up in a McLaren Senna if only they upload a video once a week. The lack of honesty among the youtubers and willingness to mislead young kids is worse than boosting a channel's numbers via a clickfarm don't you think?

InitialDave

5,913 posts

67 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
twinturban said:
No idea who you are sorry
Well, there you go, then.

twinturban

162 posts

70 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
The big car youtube channels aren't really about cars at all but more a fantasy lifestyle, I get that. People in my generation used to watch Dallas and Dynasty for much the same reason. But we weren't being tricked into thinking that we could start an oil empire from our bedrooms.

Youtubers have a responsibility to be more honest and open and invest some of the time they spend filming themselves on learning about chassis dynamics and improving their driving ability if they are going to comment on how a car drives. Particularly those who would never stoop to paying for views.

jayemm89

2,380 posts

78 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
twinturban said:
No idea who you are sorry but there's nothing pointless about a legal means of boosting numbers to get a channel to the point where manufacturers might start showing an interest.
I'm quite happy with how things worked out for me. Buying views/subs would have only led to YouTube probably shutting the channel down.

And, not every car YT channel is a lifestyle vlog. Granted, *many* are - but I have tried very hard to stay away from that, or at the least encourage people to realise that fun and budget are not directly related.

Richspec

138 posts

198 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
twinturban said:
Can any of the 'Youtubers' on here honestly say, hand on heart, that they have never bought views, likes or subscribers?

Why would, or should, anyone care what people who can't drive have to say about a car? If people find youtubers entertaining that's fair enough but their views about cars are worthless. I hope car makers are beginning to realise this.

Remember the youtubers early views on the McLaren 720S? They were given unprecedented early access and were mostly underwhelmed because the exhaust didn't pop and bang enough (or whatever). When people who could actually drive a car got hold of them we started to get a more accurate picture of a car that (when working properly) moved the goalposts for the supercar class.
Is buying subs a big thing on Youtube though? Sure, I've heard of it on Instagram plenty of times but not Youtube?. I vaguely recall seeing a video about Youtube deleting fake accounts and thus subscribers to cut down on such things?

In the (very) small corner of the automotive pond that us Classic Mini Youtubers inhabitat I was recommended a channel recently, the guy had less than 20 videos up i think, yet had 15,000 subs, (which is a lot when most are are in the hundred's and a few thou at most) and I'd never heard of him before, his mini, his instagram etc etc which seemed suspect as hell to me.

twinturban

162 posts

70 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Youtube success seems inversely proportional to product knowledge and driving skill.

The only qualification necessary to become a car 'influencer' is to be enamoured by the sound of your own voice and watching endless hours of footage of your own face.

nunpuncher

1,380 posts

73 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Sten. said:
Briefly discussed a few pages back, the entire thing confuses me because Joe is miles away from being the worst when it comes to driving 'enthusiastically' on camera. How the likes of LLF still has a driving licence amazes me.

I noticed when watching Joe's latest 340i review every time he accelerated the camera cut away to a static shot of the car. Clearly he's taking no chances these days.
If someone told me the Police officer had pursued the conviction purely because he was sick of seeing him acting like a teenage girl at a Bieber concert every time he sees anything with a BMW badge while continually uttering the cringeworthy term "MLITE" I would say the punishment wasn't harsh enough.

InitialDave

5,913 posts

67 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
twinturban said:
The only qualification necessary to become a car 'influencer' is to be enamoured by the sound of your own voice and watching endless hours of footage of your own face.
You're blathering on about how this stuff works in the face of actual, live, quite well-respected YouTubers telling you otherwise.

If you think people making YouTube videos should first be qualified to talk about cars by a given metric, are you able to explain why you're qualified to talk about making YouTube videos?

Richspec said:
Is buying subs a big thing on Youtube though? Sure, I've heard of it on Instagram plenty of times but not Youtube?. I vaguely recall seeing a video about Youtube deleting fake accounts and thus subscribers to cut down on such things?
An issue with being able to look into this stuff is that YouTube is very secretive about how they run things. I strongly suspect they are quite good at detecting fake bossting of such metrics, and nuking it when it's not in line with their own interests.

93DW

508 posts

51 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
S11Steve said:
Same reason so many VAG fleet vehicles start with a G prefix - their PDI centre is in Sheerness - https://goo.gl/maps/bBTUYkVeYgqrLgMR8
Only the rentals are prefixed G Steve wink Volkswagen Groups own vehicles are either registered KX which is Milton keynes where they are based or OU which is Oxfordshire.

TorqueR

1,546 posts

80 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
E36Dan said:
Is that why a lot of BMW police cars start YK too? or perhaps I'm getting wires crossed. I'm sure most unmarked X5s I've seen start with YK
I couldn’t say for certain but it might be a loan car by BMW but if you’re based in Yorkshire, it might just a standard issue number plate.

I’m aware that Derbyshire Police had an unmarked X3 M40i loaned to them earlier this year and Land Rover have just lent them a Discovery.

Toaster Pilot

12,138 posts

106 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
E36Dan said:
TorqueR said:
Shmee said:
The press fleets have their cars so it was quite likely that. Normally their plates start "YK" or similar.

I'm thinking it will arrive around January/February but waiting for confirmation.
Yes, they were all “YK69” plates but I believe that BMW register their fleet cars in South Yorkshire.

I spotted them going northbound just after J29a toward J30 so could’ve been returning to HQ.
Is that why a lot of BMW police cars start YK too? or perhaps I'm getting wires crossed. I'm sure most unmarked X5s I've seen start with YK
Pretty much everything supplied direct by BMW UK for whatever reason (daily rental, fleet, etc etc) is registered on Y* plates. I have a F31 320d that is ex daily rental on a YE reg.

S11Steve

5,620 posts

132 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
93DW said:
S11Steve said:
Same reason so many VAG fleet vehicles start with a G prefix - their PDI centre is in Sheerness - https://goo.gl/maps/bBTUYkVeYgqrLgMR8
Only the rentals are prefixed G Steve wink Volkswagen Groups own vehicles are either registered KX which is Milton keynes where they are based or OU which is Oxfordshire.
The O & K prefix will have gone through the Paragon PDI centre at Thurleigh, Bedfordshire - a lot of our Merc and Volvo fleet originate from there on that plate, before being dispatched across the country - even though the supplying/invoicing dealer may be in Manchester or Glasgow for example

The G prefix vehicles are usually VW UK HQ administered, such as VW Financial Services and any fleet deals set up by the HQ, but a lot of the regional dealer groups, will also use a central PDI facility such as the one at Thurleigh, or Thorne as mentioned before for the BMW.
A large chunk of PSA Group vehicles go through GEFCO at Sandtoft, ( https://goo.gl/maps/uwnRX5jvdfTBT2qT9 ) but are registered via a link to DVLA Swansea - hence why so many PSA vehicles have a C prefix, regardless of where they are supplied from.

I've spent waaaay too many years working in fleet to know useless crap like this!!



TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED