JLR on 3 day week

Author
Discussion

craigjm

9,083 posts

138 months

Wednesday 30th January
quotequote all
Digga said:
The XE is IMHO a really nice saloon. One of these with the new straight six engine would be superb. Just was the brand needs to lift it's image and bathe the lesser cars in the light of it's halo.
Yup agreed but the interior of the XE is crap. The interior of the XE has current XF is a step back in quality and style from the original XF and current XJ. It doesn’t feel as nice to sit in as the German lot which is a shame.

NickGibbs

756 posts

169 months

Wednesday 30th January
quotequote all
The test driver said:
I might have been paid to remove weight from a press car before it went to be weighted once at JLR.

I maybe burning bridges but the part of that company I worked in was god awful anyway.
Which bit of the car did you remove to make it lighter?

The test driver

913 posts

97 months

Wednesday 30th January
quotequote all
NickGibbs said:
Which bit of the car did you remove to make it lighter?
NVH ballast weights, sound deadening, spare tyres, tool kits anything that wouldn't be overly noticed and wasn't important to the overall operation especially if it was under a trim or cover it was fair game.

NickGibbs

756 posts

169 months

Wednesday 30th January
quotequote all
The test driver said:
NVH ballast weights, sound deadening, spare tyres, tool kits anything that wouldn't be overly noticed and wasn't important to the overall operation especially if it was under a trim or cover it was fair game.
Interesting. Was this specifically so it would weigh less when it was weighed, or to make it more light on its feet on a track test? And what was the car?

The test driver

913 posts

97 months

Wednesday 30th January
quotequote all
NickGibbs said:
Interesting. Was this specifically so it would weigh less when it was weighed, or to make it more light on its feet on a track test? And what was the car?
Having just read your occupation I'll stop there thanks.laughlaugh

You'll have to wait for my book, its due when i retire in about 30 years.
Advertisement

WonkeyDonkey

344 posts

41 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
The test driver said:
Having just read your occupation I'll stop there thanks.laughlaugh

You'll have to wait for my book, its due when i retire in about 30 years.
You've just ruined Autocars headline for next month!

craigjm

9,083 posts

138 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
Well quality control is still as rubbish as ever

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/jaguar-e-pace-su...

Actually delivered to customers and then because there is “no fix” they are offering $600 compensation! Outrageous. I would be driving it straight back and getting my money back.

When are they finally going to learn how to build a car properly. To make it worse these are the cars contracted out in Austria.

janesmith1950

2,478 posts

33 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
craigjm said:
Well quality control is still as rubbish as ever

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/jaguar-e-pace-su...

Actually delivered to customers and then because there is “no fix” they are offering $600 compensation! Outrageous. I would be driving it straight back and getting my money back.

When are they finally going to learn how to build a car properly. To make it worse these are the cars contracted out in Austria.
Wierd as you'd think it'd be an easy software fix.

Maybe a licensing issue meaning the tech couldn't and cant be used in that territory? As in l, someone at JLR didn't get the licence to use whatever tech it was in the US in time for early deliveries.

craigjm

9,083 posts

138 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
janesmith1950 said:
craigjm said:
Well quality control is still as rubbish as ever

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/jaguar-e-pace-su...

Actually delivered to customers and then because there is “no fix” they are offering $600 compensation! Outrageous. I would be driving it straight back and getting my money back.

When are they finally going to learn how to build a car properly. To make it worse these are the cars contracted out in Austria.
Wierd as you'd think it'd be an easy software fix.

Maybe a licensing issue meaning the tech couldn't and cant be used in that territory? As in l, someone at JLR didn't get the licence to use whatever tech it was in the US in time for early deliveries.
It can’t be that because it must have been in the spec that people were expecting. My bet is on something physical missing like a wiring loom meaning that it would be too costly to put right.

Regardless it shouldn’t happen total shambles and knocks the confidence of consumers in their quality

No ideas for a name

392 posts

24 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
craigjm said:
It can’t be that because it must have been in the spec that people were expecting. My bet is on something physical missing like a wiring loom meaning that it would be too costly to put right.

Regardless it shouldn’t happen total shambles and knocks the confidence of consumers in their quality
I have something similar in my XF-S. Sold as having a TV tuner, listed on the build spec. as having a TV tuner - it just isn't there. Apparently it can't be retrofitted.

craigjm

9,083 posts

138 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
No ideas for a name said:
craigjm said:
It can’t be that because it must have been in the spec that people were expecting. My bet is on something physical missing like a wiring loom meaning that it would be too costly to put right.

Regardless it shouldn’t happen total shambles and knocks the confidence of consumers in their quality
I have something similar in my XF-S. Sold as having a TV tuner, listed on the build spec. as having a TV tuner - it just isn't there. Apparently it can't be retrofitted.
Yes these should not be clearing QC and leaving the factory. My 2008 XF didn’t have its heated steering wheel wired up and the sub on the B&W system wasn’t connected either

JxJ Jr.

19 posts

8 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
craigjm said:
Well quality control is still as rubbish as ever

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/jaguar-e-pace-su...

Actually delivered to customers and then because there is “no fix” they are offering $600 compensation! Outrageous.
Oh come now, "the decision was made to proactively communicate this to potential buyers", as opposed to, you know, keeping quiet that a basic and expected functionality was missing.

Burwood

10,969 posts

184 months

Thursday 31st January
quotequote all
Basic functionality? The smart buyers would reject. The better supplier would fix the problem to the customers satisfaction.

Digga

26,056 posts

221 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
Often this is a side-effect of JIT manufacturing. You will see cars around the factory with white shrink wrap type cover on the bodywork - these are awaiting 'something' that either didn't arrive at the productions line or arrived but was rejected for some reason.

It's not unique to JLR either. Mrs Digga ordered a brand new 3 series touring about 10 years back (I forget exactly when). It was when DAB was just coming through as an option, which she'd chosen (one of the main reasons for buying new, rather than used) and was very much looking forward too... New car, no DAB. Got cost refunded and free servicing and, and and, but it pissed her off enough that she never bought another BMW.

Jazzy Jag

1,524 posts

29 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
Burwood said:
Basic functionality? The smart buyers would reject. The better supplier would fix the problem to the customers satisfaction.
Did JLR sack you?

You really seem bitter and have an axe to grind.

havoc

24,239 posts

173 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
Jazzy Jag said:
Burwood said:
Basic functionality? The smart buyers would reject. The better supplier would fix the problem to the customers satisfaction.
Did JLR sack you?

You really seem bitter and have an axe to grind.
I think most people who've had the misfortune to deal with JLR over the last 15-20 years have an axe to grind, quite honestly.

You'll struggle to find a good word said about them in the Tier-1 community, whilst their reputation for unreliability precedes them everywhere except the UK, where patriotism still seems to trump common sense.



I'm not saying BMW or Merc are blameless, but they ARE a lot more professional to deal with than JLR and have better reliability scores. In the interest of balance I have very little time for VAG as a manufacturer either.

fiatpower

1,326 posts

109 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
Digga said:
You will see cars around the factory with white shrink wrap type cover on the bodywork - these are awaiting 'something' that either didn't arrive at the productions line or arrived but was rejected for some reason.
That's not true, the white shrink wrap is transit panel protection fitted as standard to every body. Same at all OEMs.

Digga

26,056 posts

221 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
fiatpower said:
Digga said:
You will see cars around the factory with white shrink wrap type cover on the bodywork - these are awaiting 'something' that either didn't arrive at the productions line or arrived but was rejected for some reason.
That's not true, the white shrink wrap is transit panel protection fitted as standard to every body. Same at all OEMs.
Not what I was told at Lode Lane by the LR Experience guy.

Anyway, better news for JLR in the USA last month, record sales: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2019/...

stumpage

1,677 posts

164 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
fiatpower said:
Digga said:
You will see cars around the factory with white shrink wrap type cover on the bodywork - these are awaiting 'something' that either didn't arrive at the productions line or arrived but was rejected for some reason.
That's not true, the white shrink wrap is transit panel protection fitted as standard to every body. Same at all OEMs.
Yep if that was the case VW must have serious problems.....



As do other car manufacturers


Digga

26,056 posts

221 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
stumpage said:
fiatpower said:
Digga said:
You will see cars around the factory with white shrink wrap type cover on the bodywork - these are awaiting 'something' that either didn't arrive at the productions line or arrived but was rejected for some reason.
That's not true, the white shrink wrap is transit panel protection fitted as standard to every body. Same at all OEMs.
Yep if that was the case VW must have serious problems.....



As do other car manufacturers

It's the ones with the partial bits, I was told, that were after re-work.