Warranty Direct Claim refused - M5 engine seized

Warranty Direct Claim refused - M5 engine seized

Author
Discussion

oobster

6,129 posts

147 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
TroubledSoul said:
dave_s13 said:
And here's why PH is mainly a load of ste nowadays. What a fking ridiculous thing to write down and press submit

The op has done absolutely nothing wrong and is in the process of being shafted by an outfit of devious bell ends. Simple as that!

Good luck to the op ..I hope you get the car sorted and don't get a massive bill for it.
Was just thinking the same. Some people just love to stick the boot in on here, at cost of making themselves look absolutely ridiculous!
Same here. I'm all for having a sensible discussion but I can't fathom the mentality of anyone who thinks the OP has done anything wrong here.

A Technician, trained to a standard set by the manufacturer, told the OP the car was fine to drive back to the UK. That would be enough for me, and I would have proceeded in the same way the OP has.

If you genuinely disagree with that, as opposed to deliberate disagreement to promote discord/argument, then perhaps a forum for car enthusiasts isn't the place for you.

Graveworm

677 posts

7 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Nothing seems to change. I had a Warranty Direct warranty when they first came out late 90s. The engine lunched and the valves pistons etc needed replacing. Every part was covered under their warranty. It had been maintained according to their requirements. They refused the claim because their inspector had been unable to work out why it had happened! I had to pay out and take them to court before they eventually settled up.
Just for balance, on a more recent car I decided to try again and gave Warranty wise a go, which paid out a couple of hefty claims exactly as they should. That said I am sticking to main dealer warranties, from now on, as even when it went well it involves more effort and delay than I want.

Edited by Graveworm on Thursday 6th December 13:53

Krikkit

13,523 posts

117 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
oobster said:
Same here. I'm all for having a sensible discussion but I can't fathom the mentality of anyone who thinks the OP has done anything wrong here.

A Technician, trained to a standard set by the manufacturer, told the OP the car was fine to drive back to the UK. That would be enough for me, and I would have proceeded in the same way the OP has.

If you genuinely disagree with that, as opposed to deliberate disagreement to promote discord/argument, then perhaps a forum for car enthusiasts isn't the place for you.
Yep, another agreement from me.

I might have asked for it in writing, but otherwise yes.

RobDown

3,025 posts

64 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
+1, too many threads on PH get hi-jacked by people looking to be deliberately argumentative or downright obtuse. It just gets tiring after a while and distracts from this forum being entertaining, informative or in this case, offering sound consumer advice.

There should be some way of giving posters "troll points" and when they clock up enough they get a nice long ban (I know, it will never happen, but I can dream).

Tim-D

412 posts

158 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
OP - a quick root round the FOS website is possibly revealing...
WD ...6 published ombudsman decisions in last 2 y....only one upheld...(worth noting that adjudicator decisions aren't published) seems an incredibly low number which may suggest they fold at the last minute......

Just to raise your blood pressure read the "why warranty direct?" Page on their site... Seriously though two paragraphs of gold to cite back at them / shove where the sun doesn't shine.......

Advertisement

Paddy_N_Murphy

22,955 posts

120 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
RobDown said:
+1, too many threads on PH get hi-jacked by people looking to be deliberately argumentative or downright obtuse. It just gets tiring after a while and distracts from this forum being entertaining, informative or in this case, offering sound consumer advice.

There should be some way of giving posters "troll points" and when they clock up enough they get a nice long ban (I know, it will never happen, but I can dream).
I'd vote for that !

TroubledSoul

4,110 posts

130 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Paddy_N_Murphy said:
RobDown said:
+1, too many threads on PH get hi-jacked by people looking to be deliberately argumentative or downright obtuse. It just gets tiring after a while and distracts from this forum being entertaining, informative or in this case, offering sound consumer advice.

There should be some way of giving posters "troll points" and when they clock up enough they get a nice long ban (I know, it will never happen, but I can dream).
I'd vote for that !
Sounds good. Keep the score hidden too so they can't escape it laugh

Terminator X

6,991 posts

140 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Lord Flasheart said:
I bought an expensive car because i have the means to pay for the expensive bit (like circa £4k to get the brakes done, circa £1500 to get the tyres done, ad nausuem). I also have the means to pay for an engine or gearbox going KABOOM! but as i dont want to, i took out a warranty

It seems you can also afford to flush £1100^ per year ish down the toilet annually wink

TX.

^or whatever your premium is.

Deep Thought

22,339 posts

133 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
dave_s13 said:
And here's why PH is mainly a load of ste nowadays. What a fking ridiculous thing to write down and press submit

The op has done absolutely nothing wrong and is in the process of being shafted by an outfit of devious bell ends. Simple as that!

Good luck to the op ..I hope you get the car sorted and don't get a massive bill for it.
+1

FakeConcern

305 posts

73 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Hope the OP gets it paid for by WD.

I have been looking for another car on Autotrader and one I was interested in is a private sale, which obviously has some risks attached, but I noticed some of them have a free 7 day warranty and that looked promising. The car I'm looking at has been known to crack cylinder liners and the symptoms may not be obvious in the early stages so thought maybe the warranty would set my mind at rest over this but.....

julian64

12,558 posts

190 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
dave_s13 said:
And here's why PH is mainly a load of ste nowadays. What a fking ridiculous thing to write down and press submit

The op has done absolutely nothing wrong and is in the process of being shafted by an outfit of devious bell ends. Simple as that!

Good luck to the op ..I hope you get the car sorted and don't get a massive bill for it.
I think you are little confused between opinion and fact.

When someone has a problem with a car they call warranty direct. Warranty direct are not responsible for the diagnosis of the problem. It is not a diagnosis company that is your own expense. Hence I think it unlikely that the technician was the 'agent' of warranty direct. It was merely warranty direct telling him to get it to a sensible place for diagnosis.

When I had the balance of a warranty direct insurance for my TVR this was the case.

Therefore I believe Warranty direct will take no responsibility for the diagnosis. I doubt the diagnosis in France was free. I bet it had to be paid for, not by the warranty direct company, but by the OP. So despite the fact the OP has been shafted here it is by the French dealer giving poor advice not the warranty company as the French tech is not the agent of the warranty company no matter how much that would make life easier for the op, and people on here say he is.

If that is the case, and it may not be because I'm only another chap on a forum and not an expert, then the OP can present the story to the company and it will be decided on how reckless they think he was to drive the car knowing it had a fault. Something lot of other people might not have done. Its not trolling. You can't just call anyone who disagrees with you a troll.


InitialDave

4,042 posts

55 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
OP had a problem with the car. Warranty Direct told him to take it to the French dealer.

Would WD have accepted the OP saying "the dealer has said the car is usable, but I believe if I use it, it will fail in a terminal manner, I wish to claim on my warranty for the repair"?

No, of course they wouldn't.

Tootles the Taxi

334 posts

123 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Tim-D said:
OP - a quick root round the FOS website is possibly revealing...
WD ...6 published ombudsman decisions in last 2 y....only one upheld...(worth noting that adjudicator decisions aren't published) seems an incredibly low number which may suggest they fold at the last minute......

Just to raise your blood pressure read the "why warranty direct?" Page on their site... Seriously though two paragraphs of gold to cite back at them / shove where the sun doesn't shine.......
You need to lodge a complaint with the warranty company first and let them have a maximum of 8 weeks to provide you with a response. If they don't respond or give you a response that you're not satisfied with, then go to the Financial Ombudsman Service. As the previous poster said, only final decisions are published, so any cases settled informally by the adjudicator/investigator in favor of the consumer won't be shown in detail on the FOS website.

You can search the website to see how many complaints have been received against the warranty provider as well as what percentage are upheld and this data does include those resolved by adjudicator/investigator.

FOS are free, so you've nothing to lose and even if the outcome of that referral is not what you were hoping for, you still have the option of legal action if you want to go down that route. If you go legal first and get a Court judgement not in your favour, you can't then go the the Ombudsman.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Lord Flasheart

Original Poster:

79 posts

46 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
OK, after sending my translation of the invoice to the case handler/team lead, i started asking for their translation.....and they forwarded me an email conversation that went like this:

WD Loss adjuster - Hi Claude, can you have a look at this invoice and give me a translation mate

Random French company (somehow connected) - Sure bro, its says there's a fuel system fault and to get it looked at

WD Loss adjuster - nice one Claude, cheers

and THAT was the translation! it literally beggars belief. They've had this translation since september and not once did anyone bother to clarify the discrepancy with me (quick answer, he didn't read it/was drunk/is blind/etc).

Anyway, working on the (probably reasonable) assumption that the entire company is filled with morons i actually emailed Claude and asked him to take another look at the invoice. Its unlikely he'll reply to my gmail account, but you never know. I've also got a certified translation landing in my inbox on monday, and still trying to get BMW to help (so far with no joy).

Lord Flasheart

Original Poster:

79 posts

46 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
"The true worth of a vehicle warranty is revealed when you make a claim and that's why we don't just sell you a warranty, we handle the claim as well. With no hidden clauses, Warranty Direct is the only company that offers you plain and honest cover."

Oh dear lord

Deerfoot

3,922 posts

120 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
^ Good luck.

As an aside, I asked for a quote from WD for a warranty on a Honda some years back. I decided not to buy it (luckily I didn't need it) but they constantly badgered me for months with phone calls and e-mails with examples of repair costs for other Accords that they had paid out on...

I will not be parting with my hard-earned with them in the future.

Lord Flasheart

Original Poster:

79 posts

46 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Tim-D said:
OP - a quick root round the FOS website is possibly revealing...
WD ...6 published ombudsman decisions in last 2 y....only one upheld...(worth noting that adjudicator decisions aren't published) seems an incredibly low number which may suggest they fold at the last minute......

Just to raise your blood pressure read the "why warranty direct?" Page on their site... Seriously though two paragraphs of gold to cite back at them / shove where the sun doesn't shine.......
Thanks Tim. Out of interest, can you explain/do you know how adjudicator decisions are handled differently? presumably its similar to going to court vs arbitration

thedugmaster

895 posts

95 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
thedugmaster said:
WinstonWolf said:
thedugmaster said:
julian64 said:
I would have treated the car as if it didn't have a warranty and was my pride and joy.
I would have said I'm not happy to drive the car unless I get a proper diagnosis and repair? I did exactly this with an 850i in the ninties. I got it trailed back from lyon.


Call me insane but I don't drive cars around in limp home mode and with dash lights on across countries regardless of what someone with little or no responsibility for what happens next says.

Hopefully the warranty company will say 'okay on the basis of the French tech we will pay out all the money for a new car'. Alternatively they'll say we're not paying out go and sue the French tech. If they say that I bet the OP has actually got no comeback on the French tech for his opinion. Interesting thread though and I wish the OP all the best.

Exactly this ^

I think it would be very unwise to trust the word of a 'technician' at any main dealer frankly.
So who would you 'trust'?
Normally, me.

I trust my own mechanical knowledge.
Ah, I didn't realise you were fully qualified thumbup I'm sure the warranty company would be just fine about it.
I don't buy after sales warranties, never have done and probably never will.

I used to build cars for a living so I'm mechanically savvy enough to understand what's going on just by using my senses most of the time. I make sure all of my vehicles are regularly serviced using top quality parts and I look after them to a reasonable standard.

If I was a 1000 miles from home and my engine went into limp mode I'd be flat-bedding it home, not driving it, no matter whether someone in overalls told me otherwise or not.

Common sense really.

Lord Flasheart

Original Poster:

79 posts

46 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
except that it wasn't in limp mode

Paddy_N_Murphy

22,955 posts

120 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
thedugmaster said:
I don't buy after sales warranties, never have done and probably never will.

I used to build cars for a living so I'm mechanically savvy enough to understand what's going on just by using my senses most of the time. I make sure all of my vehicles are regularly serviced using top quality parts and I look after them to a reasonable standard.

If I was a 1000 miles from home and my engine went into limp mode I'd be flat-bedding it home, not driving it, no matter whether someone in overalls told me otherwise or not.

Common sense really.
Would you now ?

And the cost of a continental transfer on a flatbed because of your spidey senses ?

One assumes you don’t have Recovery or Breakdown policy as your fine fettled machinery would never breakdown and your commercial acumen in ‘wasting’ money on a safety net prevents you morally too?

Nonsense that you would flat bed a car home that was signed off to drive by the OEM mechanic to do so.