Problems with selling an old Mercedes

Problems with selling an old Mercedes

Author
Discussion

rachael-x9cfn

Original Poster:

10 posts

20 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
Hi, I've been a PH member for as long as I can remember but very rarely post. I'm more of a lurker 😁.
I sold my 1971 Mercedes E220 a couple of months back. After about 4-5 weeks the guy got in touch and said he had found some rot on the car and wanted me to pay to get it sorted. His reasoning for this is that he said I misled him, as I said there was no rot on the car.
In my advert I stated that the car needed cosmetic work and that " I was not aware of any rot" but " that is up to you".
When he messaged me I said there was no rot, because as far as I was aware there wasn't. On the MOT and previous MOT's there has been no mention of any rot what so ever, and the car had only done 4 miles since it was mot'd. Apparently there is rot/corrosion underneath in a couple of places and this is only visible with the car on a ramp. Also he has apparently been pulling the interior out and found a couple more places and some on the bottom of the bulkhead. These again are only visible with the carpets etc removed and on a ramp. I have never had the car on a ramp or stripped the interior as it is all original.
Now he says he has been quoted £1800+ to have this rectified and expects me to foot the bill.
He now is saying he wants it done at a classic car restore garage @ £100 ph labour. I have asked him for photos and the quotes he has received. He sent some photos and has admitted to poking a screwdriver through the bulkhead causing damage and from the photos it looks as though he has been doing it to the inner sills as well, causing more damage. I don't think he should be doing this or tearing the interior to pieces.
When he came to buy the car, he came with an alleged Mercedes expert and would expect more money off if he found anything untoward. They spent 2 hours inspecting and driving the car, they even bought a trolley jack with them to look under the car. After this he said it was a bargain and paid for it and drove off.
Before he came to view the car after leaving a bank transfer deposit, he asked if I could get it serviced for him. I did this and also had a ball joint replaced @ a cost of £310 in total. When he picked the car up he said he would transfer the £310 the next day as he was at his limit, I genuinely expected him to but he never did.
He is also saying he wants me to pay for new door skin and front and rear valances, all of which he saw at the time and was happy as he said this car was going to be his on going project.
He has also messaged me and admitted that he knows I am a genuine person/seller and that I would not purposefully mislead him about the rot/corrosion. He is saying that what I said is misleading and therefore I basically have to bend to his will or he will take it further.
Yesterday he again messaged me and said he believes the cost is going to be more now than he thought. I asked him for the garage quotes 2 weeks ago but still have not had them, I really think this guy is trying to pull my pants down, especially as he has said he knows I would not purposefully mislead him, which is the truth. I stated in the advert that I was not aware of any rot, but that is up to you.
I have asked citizens advice about this, but to be honest they were not sure how to handle it.
I'd really appreciate some help on this guys as he is starting to get threatening now as well.

98elise

13,325 posts

97 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all

WonkeyDonkey

295 posts

39 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
He's a chancer.

Tell him to FRO. He wasn't honest with his promise of paying for the service so why should you be overly caring and pay for damages that sound like he caused part of.

Cars of this age will have slight imperfections, if he wants prestine he should have bought something brand new and/or from a dealer.

Easternlight

2,240 posts

80 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
Here we go again!
Cut off all contact.
Do not communicate.

Get on with your life, he's done you for the service already and thinks he's got an easy mark!


https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

DuraAce

3,017 posts

96 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
rachael-x9cfn said:
I'd really appreciate some help on this guys as he is starting to get threatening now as well.
Assuming that you are not a trade seller and didn't make blatant false misrepresentation in your advert then STOP communicating with the buyer.

As you continue to converse with them they think they are getting to you and can get money from you.

Cease communication, await court proceedings (there are good folk on here who can help if you ever get court papers)

Advertisement

psi310398

2,256 posts

139 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
rachael-x9cfn said:
Hi, I've been a PH member for as long as I can remember but very rarely post. I'm more of a lurker ??.
I sold my 1971 Mercedes E220 a couple of months back. After about 4-5 weeks the guy got in touch and said he had found some rot on the car and wanted me to pay to get it sorted. His reasoning for this is that he said I misled him, as I said there was no rot on the car.
In my advert I stated that the car needed cosmetic work and that " I was not aware of any rot" but " that is up to you".
When he messaged me I said there was no rot, because as far as I was aware there wasn't. On the MOT and previous MOT's there has been no mention of any rot what so ever, and the car had only done 4 miles since it was mot'd. Apparently there is rot/corrosion underneath in a couple of places and this is only visible with the car on a ramp. Also he has apparently been pulling the interior out and found a couple more places and some on the bottom of the bulkhead. These again are only visible with the carpets etc removed and on a ramp. I have never had the car on a ramp or stripped the interior as it is all original.
Now he says he has been quoted £1800+ to have this rectified and expects me to foot the bill.
He now is saying he wants it done at a classic car restore garage @ £100 ph labour. I have asked him for photos and the quotes he has received. He sent some photos and has admitted to poking a screwdriver through the bulkhead causing damage and from the photos it looks as though he has been doing it to the inner sills as well, causing more damage. I don't think he should be doing this or tearing the interior to pieces.
When he came to buy the car, he came with an alleged Mercedes expert and would expect more money off if he found anything untoward. They spent 2 hours inspecting and driving the car, they even bought a trolley jack with them to look under the car. After this he said it was a bargain and paid for it and drove off.
Before he came to view the car after leaving a bank transfer deposit, he asked if I could get it serviced for him. I did this and also had a ball joint replaced @ a cost of £310 in total. When he picked the car up he said he would transfer the £310 the next day as he was at his limit, I genuinely expected him to but he never did.
He is also saying he wants me to pay for new door skin and front and rear valances, all of which he saw at the time and was happy as he said this car was going to be his on going project.
He has also messaged me and admitted that he knows I am a genuine person/seller and that I would not purposefully mislead him about the rot/corrosion. He is saying that what I said is misleading and therefore I basically have to bend to his will or he will take it further.
Yesterday he again messaged me and said he believes the cost is going to be more now than he thought. I asked him for the garage quotes 2 weeks ago but still have not had them, I really think this guy is trying to pull my pants down, especially as he has said he knows I would not purposefully mislead him, which is the truth. I stated in the advert that I was not aware of any rot, but that is up to you.
I have asked citizens advice about this, but to be honest they were not sure how to handle it.
I'd really appreciate some help on this guys as he is starting to get threatening now as well.
Usual IANAL caveat. But I have experienced similar from the 'innit brigade'.

How much did you sell it for? I'm assuming that you were also selling an old car as a private person at a reasonable price.

I doubt, in the circumstances, if any court would find against you. But if the worst came to the worst, you might have to refund what he paid you. You have until you are on the steps of the court to settle BTW, so there would be no harm to you in riding this out. I'd tell him to do one and see what unfolds. If he threatens court, tell him you will defend the case and will counter-sue for your £310. If he threatens you personally, go to the police. But it sounds like he's just a chancer trying to get a car done up for free.

Even though it was most unwise of you to state 'no rot', it was in the context of an ad which advised him to satisfy himself as to the state of the car. He availed himself of that chance (and brought equipment) to inspect the car. He also brought an expert with him and they spent two hours going over it.

Furthermore, he has by his own admission damaged the car himself, so might find it hard to prove what was originally there and what was caused by him. He is also being unreasonable in wanting to get work done at an expensive specialist garage. The car is almost fifty years old and you have not suggested that it was a trailer queen.


CastroSays

107 posts

12 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
He is taking the **** out of you.

He will CONTINUE to do this until you have refunded him ALL the money he paid you. By which time you will have NO money and NO car.

Why are you even communicating with him?

Block his number and email NOW.

You sold a FIFTY year old car - buyer beware.

Hth.

rachael-x9cfn

Original Poster:

10 posts

20 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
I'm a private seller ( plumber by trade), it was sold for 5750. I knocked 250 off the original 6000 I wanted. I also had the original Bbs wheels refurbished at great cost and put new tyres on all round, also gave him a full set of the original steel wheels and hub caps and various bits and bobs. These cars in top condition seem to be £15000+, and ones needing cosmetic work around £7000+. He even admitted that it was a bargain when he was at my house. He is really starting to irritate me now.

rachael-x9cfn

Original Poster:

10 posts

20 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
Thanks for the replies, really appreciated. I've only replied to him twice a couple of weeks ago. I'm now going to ignore him as you say and see what happens.

Teddy Lop

533 posts

3 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
I'd offer to refund all his money if he returns the vehicle, of course in as-sold condition. Or stop wasting my time.

bungz

933 posts

56 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
CastroSays said:
He is taking the **** out of you.

He will CONTINUE to do this until you have refunded him ALL the money he paid you. By which time you will have NO money and NO car.

Why are you even communicating with him?

Block his number and email NOW.

You sold a FIFTY year old car - buyer beware.

Hth.
110% this

Equus

4,787 posts

37 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
rachael-x9cfn said:
I asked him for the garage quotes 2 weeks ago...
This was your biggest mistake.

He'll have now convinced himself that you're at least considering coughing up, and will be like a terrier with a rat.

craigjm

8,641 posts

136 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
He has no idea what rot is... tell him to go and poke around a 1971 Jaguar and then complain hehe

No, in all honestly, he has purchased a 47 year old classic car. What does he expect?! The only cars that are going to be rot free are expensively restored garage queens and then he would be paying for that. In a private sale the onus is on the seller to make their own investigations as to the standard of the car and account should always be given for age.

Teddy Lop

533 posts

3 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
Equus said:
rachael-x9cfn said:
I asked him for the garage quotes 2 weeks ago...
This was your biggest mistake.

He'll have now convinced himself that you're at least considering coughing up, and will be like a terrier with a rat.
receive garage quotes.
Add quote to sale price.
Subtract this price from fully restored example.
Send invoice for balence.

valiant

3,165 posts

96 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
50 year old car needs work shocker. Hold the front page...

What is nowadays that private buyers expect some sort of comeback?

Op, cease all contact and block the number. The guy's a chancer or a moron. Either way, the car's his and no longer your problem.

surveyor

13,191 posts

120 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
He should be pleased..... My father in-law recently spent £27,000 on his 280SL.

sparks_E46

10,064 posts

149 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
CastroSays said:
He is taking the **** out of you.

He will CONTINUE to do this until you have refunded him ALL the money he paid you. By which time you will have NO money and NO car.

Why are you even communicating with him?

Block his number and email NOW.

You sold a FIFTY year old car - buyer beware.

Hth.
Agree 100%. You have done nothing wrong, sounds like you advertised the car honestly. Ignore all contact. Block his number. He will realise he’s not getting anywhere and leave you alone.

If he does become threatening as you say he is, inform the police non emergency number and get a reference number.

Edited by sparks_E46 on Sunday 11th November 13:10

rachael-x9cfn

Original Poster:

10 posts

20 months

Sunday 11th November
quotequote all
Thanks guys, I'm 100% going to follow your advice. Ill keep you updated if I hear anymore

Cuban sandwich

Original Poster:

10 posts

20 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Ok, update. He has contacted me twice since my last post ( he messages through eBay as I can't block him, ( as told to me by eBay) as we have already had messages about the car previously). He has messaged me saying that this will be the last message he sends, and is giving me a week to come up with a solution, before he starts court proceedings under his consumer rights.
I have not replied to him, nor do I intend to. If he does go down the court route(I wouldn't be surprised if he did,as he's a devious little git). If this is the course he takes, what are my best options. I still believe he is a greedy sneaky little git, who has offered me no proof in the form of quotes, garage details or if he is still driving around in the car. Basically he hasn't or won't supply me with anything I previously asked for, before I stopped replying to him.
I can only assume he is going on his own assumptions or doesn't want to supply me with the requested info. I'm not going to give into his outrageous demands, and I imagine I will see him in court. I was going to reply to him and say about him damaging the car himself with his expority poking around. Also he spent two hours with his expert going over the car, and that the alleged areas of rot can only be seen with the car on a ramp.
He admitted he knew I would not knowingly sell him the car with the alleged rot, and that I am a genuine person. Parts of the so called rot he is going on about are body corrosion which is clearly visible when standing in front of the car, and he saw all this with his so called expert.
I want to nip this in the butt now, before he thinks he can take me to court, but I'm unsure of the best way to do it. I have no fear of going to court as I'm 100% know I'm n the right, but I'd rather shut him down before it gets to that.
Cheers again

Cold

5,697 posts

26 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Call his bluff.