E400d 354bhp merc

E400d 354bhp merc

Author
Discussion

gizlaroc

13,552 posts

174 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
thiscocks said:
I have the E450 at 23mpg and the E400d at 47mpg combined. Big difference.
My E350d was down as 47mpg combined too, reality was 33mpg and that is for someone doing 30,000 miles a year.
Post after post, after post on the Merc forums of owners who only do 10k miles a year moaning there are not even getting over 30mpg average in the bigger diesels.
There is no way the E400d will achieve 47mpg as a long term average.

The new WLTP figures show 6.9l/km and 8.7l/km per KM.

That is 40 vs 33.

Reality will be more like 29mpg vs 38mpg calculated.

With diesel costing 7% more at least, that is like 29 vs 35mpg in reality.



If someone is getting 47mpg in the E400d they will get 37mpg in the E450. Reality is only a handful of people will.
One of the problems you have with comparisons is someone who buys the diesel is probably doing different driving to the person that buys the petrol, so the owners reports get skewed.

How many buy a large petrol to do 30,000 miles a year?
I did and was genuinely shocked at how well it did. When I first swapped my E350d for the E350 3.5 V6 petrol I was in my buying season, back and forth from Norwich to London or Norwich to Manchester all the time, for the first month I averaged 35mpg in it, and the OBC matched the calculated figure too.
No matter what I did by the time I was on the way home it would always say 35-36mpg, and that was getting across London from the M11 to Cavendish Square and back out again and then going up the M11 at 90kmph.
The E350d used to say 42-44mpg but the calculated was only 38-39 mpg.
Taking fuel prices into account the petrol was actually no more expensive to run.

I have had enough cars with the diesel and petrol engines to know there has NEVER been more than 15% difference between the two.

530i vs 530d e39
335d vs 335i
A6 3.0tdi vs 3.2fsi
E320 vs E320cdi S210
E350 vs E320cdi S211
E350d vs 350 S212
530i vs 530d E61
ML350 vs ML270cdi vs ML350cdi - 24mpg vs 27mpg vs 26mpg

To name a few.


I used to get 21mpg from my M3 CSL when it was a weekend toy. I then did 4000 miles in it over 7 weeks as my main car and the thing averaged 34mpg.
Too often we are not comparing like with like, we buy a petrol and use it for going for a blast at the weekend, or we buy it as we are only doing 10k miles a year, and then we compare it with a diesel that we use for doing big miles or taking on family holidays where the average mpg shoots up.

But reality for me is, same car doing the same job, the difference between the equivalent diesel/petrol when it comes to MPG is minimal, as overall ownership cost it is not even worth considering.


Then we have people who say they want the effortlessness of the diesel. Take out an E400/450, it is a turbo, it is effortless.















gizlaroc

13,552 posts

174 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
PS. I'm just bitter as I buy my cars used, and there is a serious lack of petrol cars available for me to buy as everyone keeps buying dervs.
Ignore me.

cerb4.5lee

13,629 posts

130 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
gizlaroc said:
PS. I'm just bitter as I buy my cars used, and there is a serious lack of petrol cars available for me to buy as everyone keeps buying dervs.
Ignore me.
As a positive though that could change going forward. Diesel seems very frowned upon at the moment, and it will be interesting to see if there will eventually be a switch back to petrol like the old days.

cerb4.5lee

13,629 posts

130 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
When I was a nipper I didn't know of anyone who had a diesel, petrol ruled completely in cars...those were the days! biggrin

Ares

8,931 posts

70 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Ares said:
Welshbeef said:
Ares said:
You are funny. So my little £65k Alfa is 20% better than a M5 or E63 because it has a greater bhp/litre?

And that Lamborghini Aventador must be utterly st, it barely makes 100bhp/litre.
It’s a metric.
Given SIMILAR engine size the E63 punches harder than the M5 hence my tongue in cheek point of a nitro RC v a Cobra 427.
So my little 510hp sports saloon our punches the 560hp E63 sports saloon....?
0-100mph 8.1 for your Alfa.
https://fastestlaps.com/models/alfa-romeo-giulia-q...

0-100mph 7.7?for the E63 so yes your punching - don’t you see that?
https://fastestlaps.com/models/mercedes-benz-e-63-...
(*you're)....but as you've pointed out, bhp/litre is the most important statistic...?

But whilst we're on to 0-100mph, that same site has the M5 at 6.6 to 100.... But I thought the E63 'trounced' it in your eyes...?? laughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

spreadsheet monkey

3,607 posts

177 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
maybe this will give BMW the kicker it needs
Or maybe the 400D will sell poorly in the UK, and BMW will keep the 540d and M550d for Germany and Switzerland.

Presumably you just want BMW to launch the 540d so other people can pay £50k for a new one so you can pick up a used one for cheap in three years time smile

Evo article said:
plump for the ‘Premium Plus’ package and the E400d will feel fully-loaded for a not-unreasonable £4390
Hang on - I can get a pano roof, LED headlights, parking assistance, clever radar stuff and a fancy stereo as standard in a top spec Hyundai i30, but Mercedes still wants four grand extra for that stuff?!? I thought the days of Merc being mean with standard equipment were long gone.

thiscocks

2,159 posts

145 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
gizlaroc said:
thiscocks said:
I have the E450 at 23mpg and the E400d at 47mpg combined. Big difference.
My E350d was down as 47mpg combined too, reality was 33mpg and that is for someone doing 30,000 miles a year.
Post after post, after post on the Merc forums of owners who only do 10k miles a year moaning there are not even getting over 30mpg average in the bigger diesels.
There is no way the E400d will achieve 47mpg as a long term average.

The new WLTP figures show 6.9l/km and 8.7l/km per KM.

That is 40 vs 33.

Reality will be more like 29mpg vs 38mpg calculated.

With diesel costing 7% more at least, that is like 29 vs 35mpg in reality.



If someone is getting 47mpg in the E400d they will get 37mpg in the E450. Reality is only a handful of people will.
One of the problems you have with comparisons is someone who buys the diesel is probably doing different driving to the person that buys the petrol, so the owners reports get skewed.

How many buy a large petrol to do 30,000 miles a year?
I did and was genuinely shocked at how well it did. When I first swapped my E350d for the E350 3.5 V6 petrol I was in my buying season, back and forth from Norwich to London or Norwich to Manchester all the time, for the first month I averaged 35mpg in it, and the OBC matched the calculated figure too.
No matter what I did by the time I was on the way home it would always say 35-36mpg, and that was getting across London from the M11 to Cavendish Square and back out again and then going up the M11 at 90kmph.
The E350d used to say 42-44mpg but the calculated was only 38-39 mpg.
Taking fuel prices into account the petrol was actually no more expensive to run.

I have had enough cars with the diesel and petrol engines to know there has NEVER been more than 15% difference between the two.

530i vs 530d e39
335d vs 335i
A6 3.0tdi vs 3.2fsi
E320 vs E320cdi S210
E350 vs E320cdi S211
E350d vs 350 S212
530i vs 530d E61
ML350 vs ML270cdi vs ML350cdi - 24mpg vs 27mpg vs 26mpg

To name a few.


I used to get 21mpg from my M3 CSL when it was a weekend toy. I then did 4000 miles in it over 7 weeks as my main car and the thing averaged 34mpg.
Too often we are not comparing like with like, we buy a petrol and use it for going for a blast at the weekend, or we buy it as we are only doing 10k miles a year, and then we compare it with a diesel that we use for doing big miles or taking on family holidays where the average mpg shoots up.

But reality for me is, same car doing the same job, the difference between the equivalent diesel/petrol when it comes to MPG is minimal, as overall ownership cost it is not even worth considering.


Then we have people who say they want the effortlessness of the diesel. Take out an E400/450, it is a turbo, it is effortless.
Interesting, thanks. Yes I guess I would be surprised if an e400d could actually do 47mpg combined, I guess based on what you say high 30s is more realistic.

GTI16V

542 posts

24 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
yonex said:
What exactly is this thread about. It started talking about diesel barges and is now into dick waving about 600HP M/AMG variants?

Is there a point?
This is Pistonheads. Willy waving matters.
How else are you going to prove you're a powerfully built captain of industry? wink

Welshbeef

Original Poster:

38,951 posts

148 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
GTI16V said:
yonex said:
What exactly is this thread about. It started talking about diesel barges and is now into dick waving about 600HP M/AMG variants?

Is there a point?
This is Pistonheads. Willy waving matters.
How else are you going to prove you're a powerfully built captain of industry? wink
Read the original post the “OP”.

Merc have launched a big hitting new diesel which isn’t far off 100bhp more than what BMW are offering in the same vehicle segment.

Diesel looked dead but maybe not and with the punch this offers it’s very appealing.


Struggling with your comprehension

yonex

16,316 posts

118 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Read the original post the “OP”.

Merc have launched a big hitting new diesel which isn’t far off 100bhp more than what BMW are offering in the same vehicle segment.

Diesel looked dead but maybe not and with the punch this offers it’s very appealing.


Struggling with your comprehension
Get back to eBay and fictional cars.

Welshbeef

Original Poster:

38,951 posts

148 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
yonex said:
Get back to eBay and fictional cars.
So let me get this straight just because it grates you people cannot post up about cars on a car forum.

Take a look at yourself You’ve come to this thread not to talk about the car or it’s competitors insstead a 7 year old thread about a spares or repair 944 and chomping on a mars bar. fFS you must be a barrel of laughs. With mats or with mids never ever letting things go

Move on Chapple life’s too short to have bizarre irrritations with a random user name online It’s sad comical but must have had an impact on you to recall and continue to spout it t long years later.

yonex

16,316 posts

118 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
So let me get this straight just because it grates you people cannot post up about cars on a car forum.

Take a look at yourself You’ve come to this thread not to talk about the car or it’s competitors insstead a 7 year old thread about a spares or repair 944 and chomping on a mars bar. fFS you must be a barrel of laughs. With mats or with mids never ever letting things go

Move on Chapple life’s too short to have bizarre irrritations with a random user name online It’s sad comical but must have had an impact on you to recall and continue to spout it t long years later.
It doesn't grate at all. Just ironic that you'd choose to call anyone out, ever. Given your unique....er.....history rofl

Welshbeef

Original Poster:

38,951 posts

148 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
yonex said:
It doesn't grate at all. Just ironic that you'd choose to call anyone out, ever. Given your unique....er.....history rofl
Must have impacted you to being up something unrelated over 7 years later.

Do you call your your kids or your in laws etc?
Hint life’s much better all round to move on - take NZ today

yonex

16,316 posts

118 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Must have impacted you to being up something unrelated over 7 years later.

Do you call your your kids or your in laws etc?
Hint life’s much better all round to move on - take NZ today
IIRC it was you predicting the demise of BMW diesel engines, as bold as “even” their top petrol performance engine was “trounced” by Mercedes offering ?

Everyone proved you wrong, but, here we are again.

As for your quote about the New Zealand incident. What the hell are you drinking?

Uncle John

2,054 posts

141 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
For the record my E350 does 29.9 mpg, it does shift.

Ares

8,931 posts

70 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Read the original post the “OP”.

Merc have launched a big hitting new diesel which isn’t far off 100bhp more than what BMW are offering in the same vehicle segment.

Diesel looked dead but maybe not and with the punch this offers it’s very appealing.
It'll be interesting to see the UK uptake....and if that encourages BMW to bring the even punchier 550d to the UK.

st4

1,359 posts

83 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
Ares said:
It'll be interesting to see the UK uptake....and if that encourages BMW to bring the even punchier 550d to the UK.
Given the tide that's turned against diesel probably not.

They'd be better as they're doing, bring EVs, petrol hybrids and petrol engines instead. These are kinder to peoples health, make the cars more refined and more enjoyable to drive.