The Joy of Running an Old Shed

The Joy of Running an Old Shed

Author
Discussion

Demelitia

351 posts

14 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
STIfree said:
beko1987 said:
New fog light and a heat gun to pull that bashed corner out and I'd just drive that as is! Brand new car is that...
That's the idea. Or maybe boiling water will do the trick.

Well, the broken fog lamp is in the boot, it doesn't work but I'm lead to believe it's not required for an MOT. But at least aesthetically it'll be better.


Jimmy Recard said:
Bargain! Cat N is non structural damage and will not need an immediate MOT to be legal to use
p4cks said:
I might be wrong but neither a cat s or a cat n require an immediate MOT, they’re just BAU
Really? That's great! Well at least can start using it from today, then at the end of next month take it for its MOT.
Get over to the ask an mot tester thread and find out for sure!

p4cks

4,742 posts

157 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
watchnut said:
I enjoy the banter on this thread, but would like to see a few more photos, especially if very dirty, and knocks/dents , gaffer tape repairs
As requested...








Jimmy Recard

17,208 posts

137 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
STIfree said:
beko1987 said:
New fog light and a heat gun to pull that bashed corner out and I'd just drive that as is! Brand new car is that...
That's the idea. Or maybe boiling water will do the trick.

Well, the broken fog lamp is in the boot, it doesn't work but I'm lead to believe it's not required for an MOT. But at least aesthetically it'll be better.


Jimmy Recard said:
Bargain! Cat N is non structural damage and will not need an immediate MOT to be legal to use
p4cks said:
I might be wrong but neither a cat s or a cat n require an immediate MOT, they’re just BAU
Really? That's great! Well at least can start using it from today, then at the end of next month take it for its MOT.
My shed passed its last two mots with a fog light bulb out. I only changed it because it annoyed my mate so much that he bought me one hehe

The fog lights come on when you unlock it and just seeing one upset his perfectionist nature

DailyHack

1,071 posts

69 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
There is something good about "shedding" and the liberating feeling it gives you.

For me the fact I own the car means more to me as an asset, and it does the job.

My sheds get regular servicing and the odd wash ('12 BMW E91 & '60 Saab 9-3) both do 40k a year between them, they are great, and both have something like 250k combined mileage + £60 annual tax combined!

Shedding is the future for sure, each to their own but I will let others squander £2/300 p/m on a rental - rather put that towards my mortgage or driving my sheds to Italy for holidays which we do alot smile

Won't be swapping out these two gems for a while yet, probably only worth £4/5k combined

ajprice

18,834 posts

154 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
p4cks said:
I might be wrong but neither a cat s or a cat n require an immediate MOT, they’re just BAU
What's BAU?

watchnut

772 posts

87 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Well done Magpie and PAcks great phots.......

I thought my wifes 1999 V70 had broken down this morning....but she took the daughters car to work to "give it an Italian" tune up as she is away for a few months (not prison....)

Those bloody lamp posts....they are the same as pot holes ....always in the way


p4cks

4,742 posts

157 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
ajprice said:
p4cks said:
I might be wrong but neither a cat s or a cat n require an immediate MOT, they’re just BAU
What's BAU?
Apologies for the jargon, it's business as usual.

Promised Land

3,607 posts

167 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Pat H said:
My trusty 2.0 TDCi has just turned 175,000 miles old.

Had her from new. She cost £14,000 in December 2006.

Apart from DMF failure at 17,000 miles has been pretty reliable. The replacement clutch and DMF are still going strong 158,000 miles later.

She has needed 2 sets of bottom arms, two front wheel bearings, one CV boot, one battery, an alternator, a gear selector cable and an exhaust.

That aside, it has been oil changes every 10,000 miles, a few sets of discs and pads and a timing belt change at 110,000 miles.

Maintained it myself, apart from the clutch and the wheel bearings.

No DPF to worry about. With the EGR blanked she runs a little smoother just off tickover.

Now firmly in shed territory, but has just done a 550 miles round trip from Southport to Gatwick and back at 62mpg.

She has been such a useful old bus. I will cry for a week when she eventually expires.
Very similar story to yours, I bought a Nissan Navara D22 brand new in 2004, 167k miles and 16 years later it's still here.

Had its first set of brake pads on it last summer, one starter motor, a washer bottle pump and one battery are the only consumables, oh one exhaust too 6 years ago.

Tyres generally make it to 40k miles, original clutch, rear drums etc, still goes to a Nissan garage for its servicing and failed its mot last October for the first time, one rear shock casing corroded and a bit of welding to the front beam.

The beauty is now it's well into shed territory wading through floods which are very common here doesn't bother me, car parks are the same, it's carried all manner of things in the load bed, over 30 slabs last weekend in one shift, so useful to have.

I don't even have a pic in my photo stream of it. biglaugh

martin mrt

3,346 posts

159 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
I purchased this last week for a fraction over shed budget, it’s my 4th one, it was an absolute steal and local too.

2.5 130bhp 6speed version, the same as my previous 3, I’m the 3rd owner and it’s done 207k.

I didn’t need it, but I have missed having one, and will be great for taking my son to the bmx park. I’ve driven my Golf twice this week since buying it.

So far it’s needed the Caliper freed off through lack of use, the power wire under the drivers seat repaired so I have central locking, and some tomfoolery with vag com to turn off a duff pad warning light

This won’t be a loved van like my last two, proper workhorse but it won’t be neglected either it’s for keeps.



W00DY

12,529 posts

184 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
martin mrt said:
I purchased this last week for a fraction over shed budget, it’s my 4th one, it was an absolute steal and local too.

2.5 130bhp 6speed version, the same as my previous 3, I’m the 3rd owner and it’s done 207k.

I didn’t need it, but I have missed having one, and will be great for taking my son to the bmx park. I’ve driven my Golf twice this week since buying it.

So far it’s needed the Caliper freed off through lack of use, the power wire under the drivers seat repaired so I have central locking, and some tomfoolery with vag com to turn off a duff pad warning light

This won’t be a loved van like my last two, proper workhorse but it won’t be neglected either it’s for keeps.


You jammy git. thumbup

It you get bored with it let me know.

martin mrt

3,346 posts

159 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
W00DY said:
You jammy git. thumbup

It you get bored with it let me know.
I think I’ve done rather well, it’s not the tidiest but it’s not beyond saving (not sure this is the tread for that kinda chat)

Can’t see that happening anytime soon, it will probably never deprecate now

RoverP6B

4,177 posts

86 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Promised Land said:
Very similar story to yours, I bought a Nissan Navara D22 brand new in 2004, 167k miles and 16 years later it's still here.

Had its first set of brake pads on it last summer, one starter motor, a washer bottle pump and one battery are the only consumables, oh one exhaust too 6 years ago.

Tyres generally make it to 40k miles, original clutch, rear drums etc, still goes to a Nissan garage for its servicing and failed its mot last October for the first time, one rear shock casing corroded and a bit of welding to the front beam.

The beauty is now it's well into shed territory wading through floods which are very common here doesn't bother me, car parks are the same, it's carried all manner of things in the load bed, over 30 slabs last weekend in one shift, so useful to have.

I don't even have a pic in my photo stream of it. biglaugh
Don't these have a habit of snapping in two between the rear cab and the bed?

Bonefish Blues

16,286 posts

181 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
RoverP6B said:
Don't these have a habit of snapping in two between the rear cab and the bed?
A mere flesh wound I'm sure.

Red 4

9,157 posts

145 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Cads said:
Red 4 said:
Yup. My mate bought a new Mazda 6 in '06 and ran it 'til last year. 190k miles.

Only consumables were replaced. Nothing broke ( apart from 2 tailgate struts ) and it never broke down. It didn't die of rust either, despite only getting washed, er, never as far as I could tell.

Great cars.
Odd, I had too buy two new gas struts off fleabay recently as the boot lid kept landing on my head and led to us locking the baby in the car on Xmas morning.
The struts are a common fault, apparently. That means they all stop strutting sooner or later.

True shedding would require not replacing the struts and making do with a cut down broom handle for support.

However, EBay was a good shout. Iirc my mate paid about £18 for his replacements. They were the same brand as OEM. I know this because I fitted them. Mazda wanted about £60. Robbing bar stewards.

Hammer67

4,524 posts

142 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
RoverP6B said:
Promised Land said:
Very similar story to yours, I bought a Nissan Navara D22 brand new in 2004, 167k miles and 16 years later it's still here.

Had its first set of brake pads on it last summer, one starter motor, a washer bottle pump and one battery are the only consumables, oh one exhaust too 6 years ago.

Tyres generally make it to 40k miles, original clutch, rear drums etc, still goes to a Nissan garage for its servicing and failed its mot last October for the first time, one rear shock casing corroded and a bit of welding to the front beam.

The beauty is now it's well into shed territory wading through floods which are very common here doesn't bother me, car parks are the same, it's carried all manner of things in the load bed, over 30 slabs last weekend in one shift, so useful to have.

I don't even have a pic in my photo stream of it. biglaugh
Don't these have a habit of snapping in two between the rear cab and the bed?
No, the D40 Nav does that. D22 achilles heel was the bottom end of the engine. If this chaps lump has racked up 167K without having a new crank with stronger bolts and shells he has done bloody well.

RoverP6B

4,177 posts

86 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
You're quite right, I stand corrected. Worryingly, it appears the 3rd generation Navara is even worse...

Hammer67

4,524 posts

142 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
^^^^^^ You sure that is a Nav?

Doesn`t look like one to me.

PostHeads123

870 posts

93 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
My shed I've had 16 yrs now an 2002 A3 1.8t sport, wbac offered me £330 for it lol, 76.5k miles just past its mot last week with nothing noted. Its a big scabby in places rear qtr laquer coming off, alloys need a refurb but it still drives very well. I got a new Audi on lease last Dec but I drive the old A3 more, only issue is its £300 ish tax and for some reason insurance is approx £460 tpft as I use no claims on new car, area I live in not high risk. Lot to be said for shedding.



Edited by PostHeads123 on Saturday 15th February 23:18

Digby

7,801 posts

204 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
NCP parking, the early years..


Bonefish Blues

16,286 posts

181 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
You've sparked my Sedici envy again...