Inconsiderate neighbours bad parking

Inconsiderate neighbours bad parking

Author
Discussion

Jeepv6

Original Poster:

64 posts

57 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Is it me getting old or what we own a lovely terrace house in market weighton,we have a large garden etc round the back but have just won a court case to reinstate our right of way to park our cars,there are 8 houses in total and we have parking on the road 8 cars easily, but alas
At the moment there is a ford van that's never moved or been started for 6 months then a space, next a Vauxhall van belonging to a guy 2 doors away that has Brocken down and is pouring diesel on the road it hasn't moved in 5weeks,then next door is a motor trader he always has at least 3 cars in a row parked up,my wife came home today in pouring rain and had to park at least a 100 yards away I got home and to park even further away I've owned my current 4x4 7 months and never parked near my house what should I do I've belched the subject but have had no reaction from them,the council state as long as they are road legal it's fine . I think it's a curtesy thing to be honest

Paddymcc

604 posts

139 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Who owns the road in front of the houses?

Jeepv6

Original Poster:

64 posts

57 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
The council its like race track on a night and it's 30 mph my point is why take up space with veihcles that don't even run and 4 in a row belonging to one guy is out of line

KungFuPanda

3,333 posts

118 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
As the council has suggested, it’s not out of line if the cars are legal.

Nickp82

2,041 posts

41 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
I wouldn’t recommend belching as a way of making your point, your neighbours way take it the wrong way.

Parking is always a difficult one, the neighbours here are militant about their off-drive spaces.

Pica-Pica

6,170 posts

32 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Paddymcc said:
Who owns the road in front of the houses?
I doubt the OP does! I live in a beautiful area, but in the tourist season if you go out, your ‘place’ is lost. Fact of life - move on.

Complain about derelict, uninsured, non MOT, or dangerous cars; but the place in front of your house is not yours, except in rare circumstances.

snake_oil

2,039 posts

23 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
If you bought a house with no off street parking and rely on on street parking, well, you knew what you were getting yourself in for.

The answer here is suck it up I'm afraid.

Brinyan

219 posts

41 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Jeepv6 said:
The council its like race track on a night and it's 30 mph my point is why take up space with veihcles that don't even run and 4 in a row belonging to one guy is out of line
Very inconsiderate, but not illegal.

Jeepv6

Original Poster:

64 posts

57 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Yes I agree I'm a car enthusiast,qualified mechanic with a lot of quality tools,the all tap me up for help or a borrow of tools as my wife says next time just say no as you haven't time due to a long walk to your car lol

Cliftonite

7,127 posts

86 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Jeepv6 said:
Is it me getting old or what we own a lovely terrace house in market weighton,we have a large garden etc round the back but have just won a court case to reinstate our right of way to park our cars,there are 8 houses in total and we have parking on the road 8 cars easily, but alas
At the moment there is a ford van that's never moved or been started for 6 months then a space, next a Vauxhall van belonging to a guy 2 doors away that has Brocken down and is pouring diesel on the road it hasn't moved in 5weeks,then next door is a motor trader he always has at least 3 cars in a row parked up,my wife came home today in pouring rain and had to park at least a 100 yards away I got home and to park even further away I've owned my current 4x4 7 months and never parked near my house what should I do I've belched the subject but have had no reaction from them,the council state as long as they are road legal it's fine . I think it's a curtesy thing to be honest

The Brummie

7,815 posts

135 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
My n XX door neighbour has parked a sodding great big caravan outside his house which in turn narrows an already narrow road down to the houses where I live.

Covenants of the all the properties expressly forbid the siting of caravans or motorhomes anywhere within the confines of the houses.

The landowners, who set out the covenants, have done fk all to get the caravan moved & say that they have no intention of doing anything to enforce the covenants.

The same cretin has also fenced off a public/vehicular right of way to ensure that his fking caravan is ‘protected’ & he has also extended his front garden taking 12 feet of land that does. It belong to him.

The covenants also forbid any form of fencing too keep the area open plan.

Access to my property is now severely restricted by the loss of the right of way so what have the land owners done to get the fence removed & the right of way re-instated?

Absolutely nothing.

So now I have to look out a caravan, currently covered in a dirty green cover, & I cannot park my car on my drive.

Options open to me? Solicitor I guess to get the terms of the covenant enforced. Which shouldn’t be necessary if the land owner could be arsed to enforce the covenants.

Rant over......


Thesprucegoose

19,719 posts

143 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
have you tried cones?

Alucidnation

10,768 posts

118 months

Wednesday 6th March
quotequote all
Cliftonite said:
Jeepv6 said:
Is it me getting old or what we own a lovely terrace house in market weighton,we have a large garden etc round the back but have just won a court case to reinstate our right of way to park our cars,there are 8 houses in total and we have parking on the road 8 cars easily, but alas
At the moment there is a ford van that's never moved or been started for 6 months then a space, next a Vauxhall van belonging to a guy 2 doors away that has Brocken down and is pouring diesel on the road it hasn't moved in 5weeks,then next door is a motor trader he always has at least 3 cars in a row parked up,my wife came home today in pouring rain and had to park at least a 100 yards away I got home and to park even further away I've owned my current 4x4 7 months and never parked near my house what should I do I've belched the subject but have had no reaction from them,the council state as long as they are road legal it's fine . I think it's a curtesy thing to be honest
biggrin

snake_oil

2,039 posts

23 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
The Brummie said:
My n XX door neighbour has parked a sodding great big caravan outside his house which in turn narrows an already narrow road down to the houses where I live.

Covenants of the all the properties expressly forbid the siting of caravans or motorhomes anywhere within the confines of the houses.

The landowners, who set out the covenants, have done fk all to get the caravan moved & say that they have no intention of doing anything to enforce the covenants.

The same cretin has also fenced off a public/vehicular right of way to ensure that his fking caravan is ‘protected’ & he has also extended his front garden taking 12 feet of land that does. It belong to him.

The covenants also forbid any form of fencing too keep the area open plan.

Access to my property is now severely restricted by the loss of the right of way so what have the land owners done to get the fence removed & the right of way re-instated?

Absolutely nothing.

So now I have to look out a caravan, currently covered in a dirty green cover, & I cannot park my car on my drive.

Options open to me? Solicitor I guess to get the terms of the covenant enforced. Which shouldn’t be necessary if the land owner could be arsed to enforce the covenants.

Rant over......
This sounds far more interesting! Got any pics of the street scene?

Triumph Man

6,061 posts

116 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
You have 8 cars and you want to park them all on the road?

Pothole

27,784 posts

230 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
You're a terrible husband. Give your wife a little extra in her allowance to buy an umbrella!

FiF

36,234 posts

199 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
snake_oil said:
The Brummie said:
My n XX door neighbour has parked a sodding great big caravan outside his house which in turn narrows an already narrow road down to the houses where I live.

Covenants of the all the properties expressly forbid the siting of caravans or motorhomes anywhere within the confines of the houses.

The landowners, who set out the covenants, have done fk all to get the caravan moved & say that they have no intention of doing anything to enforce the covenants.

The same cretin has also fenced off a public/vehicular right of way to ensure that his fking caravan is ‘protected’ & he has also extended his front garden taking 12 feet of land that does. It belong to him.

The covenants also forbid any form of fencing too keep the area open plan.

Access to my property is now severely restricted by the loss of the right of way so what have the land owners done to get the fence removed & the right of way re-instated?

Absolutely nothing.

So now I have to look out a caravan, currently covered in a dirty green cover, & I cannot park my car on my drive.

Options open to me? Solicitor I guess to get the terms of the covenant enforced. Which shouldn’t be necessary if the land owner could be arsed to enforce the covenants.

Rant over......
This sounds far more interesting! Got any pics of the street scene?
Some of this mentioned on another thread but just for added info.

Covenants, very difficult to get enforced, they are typically there for the benefit of the builder during construction and sale of other properties. Once they've gone, not interested. So I guess next step is talk to a solicitor, especially as his actions prevent you from peaceful use of your property if it does stop use of your drive. Some neighbours can be such pricks though.

On the issue of planning permission. A couple not too far away, but fortunately not that close, moved in, and built an extension, a detached garage and various other constructions all without planning permission and, as it turned out, some of them were in direct contravention of conditions placed on the original building planning approval.

Council reared up, presumably someone complained though guess it didn't help that the chair of the local planning committee lived round the corner, hehe Anyway it was either apply for planning permission or rip the work down

Application for retrospective planning permission submitted, council reviewed in committee, certain things were approved, as the decision said "with regret" plus certain other uncomplimentary comments. However some of the application was refused and a tear it down order issued. Went to appeal, the independent inspector turned down the appeal and confirmed the demolishment order.

The occupants, who really are a most unpleasant set, basically flicked the V's, finished it all off and ignored everything. And it stays there.

What's the point if the council doesn't enforce? Though noticed they've just employed a planning enforcement guy, which is a role not had for some time. There is certainly someone locally who us intent on stirring it all up again though, so may be some developments. That's not me by the way, quiet life preferred, interesting to watch and take note though.

V8mate

42,984 posts

137 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
I don't understand: what is the reference in the OP to having recently won a court case?

Rtig

123 posts

73 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
First thing to consider is sentences.
Then, maybe, move on to paragraphs.

sgtBerbatov

1,694 posts

29 months

Thursday 7th March
quotequote all
Rtig said:
First thing to consider is sentences.
Then, maybe, move on to paragraphs.
But not until the punctuation is perfected.