Annoying but unimportant features on cars

Annoying but unimportant features on cars

Author
Discussion

Andeh1

5,166 posts

145 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
STe_rsv4 said:
Seat belt warning boings (bmw). Yes I know my seat belt is unfastened, I only intend to drive from the car park to xxx, I know tb risks involved in this 4mph journey. I don't need a Fkin constant reminder my seatbelt is undone now fk off!
Legal requirement

Pistonheader101

894 posts

46 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Indicators on my bmw - wtf is the point of them on a bmw

Mike335i

2,181 posts

41 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Touch screen control as said above. Should be banned or at least work in conjunction with a controller (iDrive/mmi etc).

Lane departure warning also, I don't understand how a beep is going to help me, however the lane departure assist I had on an i20 recently was impressive. The thing would drive itself which was great given the type of car.

Speaking of Hyundai, they have a blue light to indicate doors are locked on some of them. Just a terrible idea and very distracting at night.

Dimwitted start stop. I had a Nissan Qashqai that sometimes wouldn't start quickly enough so was actually stalled a couple of times. Really frustrating as it then took an age to restart itself. No other car I have driven has had the same issue (yet).

Full beam assist on Vauxhall and Toyota. Just stupid and dangerous. Could not discern what a car coming out of a side junction was, so the system ended up flashing the lights on and off in confusion. Other times the car had almost passed when it dipped and others it just would not undip at all. After a few moment use I abandoned using it.

jamei303

1,760 posts

95 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Mike335i said:
Dimwitted start stop. I had a Nissan Qashqai that sometimes wouldn't start quickly enough so was actually stalled a couple of times. Really frustrating as it then took an age to restart itself. No other car I have driven has had the same issue (yet).
This is very annoying in my autobox Volvo. I have to reverse onto my drive and every time I rock up outside my house and stop, the engine goes off, I select reverse and it start up again. Can't it just wait 1 second to see if I am going to do a manoeuvrer before it cuts out?

Munter

28,404 posts

180 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
STe_rsv4 said:
Seat belt warning boings (bmw). Yes I know my seat belt is unfastened, I only intend to drive from the car park to xxx, I know tb risks involved in this 4mph journey. I don't need a Fkin constant reminder my seatbelt is undone now fk off!
It's worse int eh OH Civic.

Get in, start the engine...bong bong bong...while you're fastening the seatbelt before you pull away. I'm not even bloody moving! Give us a chance!

In the 86 the annoying thing is no headlight "light" on the dash. You have to look at the stalk to see if you have your lights on. Which you can't see through the wheel. I get we wanted it light weight...but...
Advertisement

kieranblenk

598 posts

73 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
jamei303 said:
This is very annoying in my autobox Volvo. I have to reverse onto my drive and every time I rock up outside my house and stop, the engine goes off, I select reverse and it start up again. Can't it just wait 1 second to see if I am going to do a manoeuvrer before it cuts out?
Our automatic Clio does it, it drives me up the wall.

Alfahol Addict

1,219 posts

104 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Pistonheader101 said:
Indicators on my bmw - wtf is the point of them on a bmw
I don't get why anybody would spec those on a BMW.

Alfahol Addict

1,219 posts

104 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Start-stop.

Touch screens.

Electric handbrakes.

Beeps and bongs, a warning light/message is often enough.

'Eco'-button and 'city steering'. Both seen in low powered Fiat city cars with light steering, e.g. Panda and 500. I don't want even lower power and lighter steering, more the opposite in fact. That being said, I still love them.

Edited by Alfahol Addict on Friday 15th March 09:47

jamei303

1,760 posts

95 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
The radio switching off as soon as your turn the ignition off ... maybe you want to sit in the car and listen to it for a while?

On another car the radio not switching off until 30 seconds after you've got out of the car and closed the door...you're never quite sure if it's going to stay on forever and drain the battery.

Why can't it just switch off when you open the driver's door?

RobM77

31,959 posts

173 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Slow said:
STe_rsv4 said:
Seat belt warning boings (bmw). Yes I know my seat belt is unfastened, I only intend to drive from the car park to xxx, I know tb risks involved in this 4mph journey. I don't need a Fkin constant reminder my seatbelt is undone now fk off!
Basically every car does this now. So damn annoying when im just going down my driveway to put the bins out, or to the yard to grab something. I highly doubt im going to be needing my seatbelt at 20/25 mph on my driveway....
yes For anyone that has to manoeuvre or drive cars on private land at low speed, these constant bongs are extremely annoying. My sailing club is the classic example - a long driveway with gates to lock/unlock at each end, and speed bumps that mean you have to crawl down there. Wearing a seatbelt on a straight road devoid of cars or people at 10mph is ridiculous.

RobM77

31,959 posts

173 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
My vote goes to the indicators on my E90 3 series, which have an annoying habit of self cancelling halfway through a manoeuvre. You approach a roundabout, indicate, start to slow, then as soon as you move the steering wheel to take the roundabout, they switch off. Even if you switch them back on again, they turn off. I've taken to driving one handed and holding them on. Solved for the F30, but after 150k miles in E90s (I'm on my second), it's beginning to grate somewhat.

RicksAlfas

9,534 posts

183 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Powered tailgate on my C-Class. It's so slow it's an annoyance rather than a convenience.

PenelopaPitstop

1,077 posts

72 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
silentbrown said:
Audi A4 : Radio/music starts playing whenever you start the car, even if you'd turned it off last time you were in it.

Dumb combination of stop/start and auto handbrake logic so when you come to a stop in traffic, the engine cuts (which I like), and the brakes stay on until you touch the accelerator (which I also like). Except that when you release the footbrake, then engine restarts, thus defeating the stop/start system.
It's an Audi thing. The same in previous model of A8. At least Mercedes has hold function and you can take off your foot from the brake.

Regarding audio, I just switch it to Jukebox which is empty, before leaving the car. The only way to make sure music won't start next time.

Next generation A8 is no go due to touch screens...


Edited by PenelopaPitstop on Friday 15th March 10:02

derin100

4,876 posts

182 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
DVD Player function in the dash of a two-seater car...Mercedes SL.

I suppose that does strictly qualify in the 'annoying' category (because you don't have to turn it on) but surely qualifies for this list by virtue of scoring double points in the 'unimportant' discipline!


Mike335i

2,181 posts

41 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
RobM77 said:
My vote goes to the indicators on my E90 3 series, which have an annoying habit of self cancelling halfway through a manoeuvre. You approach a roundabout, indicate, start to slow, then as soon as you move the steering wheel to take the roundabout, they switch off. Even if you switch them back on again, they turn off. I've taken to driving one handed and holding them on. Solved for the F30, but after 150k miles in E90s (I'm on my second), it's beginning to grate somewhat.
Strange, mine work fine. I always indicate when manoeuvring and find the BMW stalks to work best. I think they have reverted back to the old fashioned way now though on newer models

otolith

36,952 posts

143 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
jjones said:
Blue light on the dash of my subaru xv that tells you the coolant is not up to temperature. Dark morning, first 7-8 miles a car coming the other way you think you have your headlights on because of this damn blue light. Horrendous, I would like to poke the designer in the eyes and kick the person in the sponge/balls who approved it!!
Mike335i said:
Speaking of Hyundai, they have a blue light to indicate doors are locked on some of them. Just a terrible idea and very distracting at night.
You'd think that would be obvious to designers. I have a fishing bite alarm with an intense blue LED on the front of it. Completely ruins your night vision when it goes off, I had to cover it with tape. I'd have hoped people designing car interiors were a bit more familiar with ergonomics.

RobM77

31,959 posts

173 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Mike335i said:
RobM77 said:
My vote goes to the indicators on my E90 3 series, which have an annoying habit of self cancelling halfway through a manoeuvre. You approach a roundabout, indicate, start to slow, then as soon as you move the steering wheel to take the roundabout, they switch off. Even if you switch them back on again, they turn off. I've taken to driving one handed and holding them on. Solved for the F30, but after 150k miles in E90s (I'm on my second), it's beginning to grate somewhat.
Strange, mine work fine. I always indicate when manoeuvring and find the BMW stalks to work best. I think they have reverted back to the old fashioned way now though on newer models
That's right, yes. I spent a day with an F30 this week and the stalks on newer cars move and stay put. As you know, with the E90 you've got two switches - a light touch gives you three flicks (not in any Highway Code I've ever read!), and a firmer touch turns them on until they cancel themselves or you cancel with another touch in the same direction, or a light touch in the other direction. My gripe is that the self cancelling is far too sensitive, and if you have to steer on the way into a roundabout but then straighten up again to join, they cancel just as you straighten to join, when you obviously still need the indicator to be on. I wish there was an option in the iDrive to disable self-cancelling; now that it's no longer a mechanical trigger on the steering column, you'd think that'd be easy to do. Caterham indicators for example are a godsend - no self cancelling at all.

Zippee

11,782 posts

173 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Mike335i said:
Full beam assist on Vauxhall and Toyota. Just stupid and dangerous. Could not discern what a car coming out of a side junction was, so the system ended up flashing the lights on and off in confusion. Other times the car had almost passed when it dipped and others it just would not undip at all. After a few moment use I abandoned using it.
My 16 plate grand Cherokee was the same. By the time they'd turned of the other drivers retinas were burnt out and the time they took to come on again meant you couldn't see for half your journey.
The matrix led lights on my rs6 though are amazing and a whole other level.

otolith

36,952 posts

143 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
One of my cars does the three flashes thing. The other two don't. It's the one I drive most. I often find myself trying to do it on the other cars, which is irritating.

_Exocet_

57 posts

37 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
PenelopaPitstop said:
silentbrown said:
Dumb combination of stop/start and auto handbrake logic so when you come to a stop in traffic, the engine cuts (which I like), and the brakes stay on until you touch the accelerator (which I also like). Except that when you release the footbrake, then engine restarts, thus defeating the stop/start system.
It's an Audi thing. The same in previous model of A8. At least Mercedes has hold function and you can take off your foot from the brake.
Edited by PenelopaPitstop on Friday 15th March 10:02
It seems it's not just an Audi thing. Jaguar also appears to do exactly the same. I'm lead to wonder what they intend the handbrake to be used for - you're encouraged not to use it by the stop/start feature, and in park the handbrake is automatically engaged anyway.