Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 14]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 14]

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

nobrakes

1,360 posts

145 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
Stegel said:
Krikkit said:
nobrakes said:
I’ve a W211 320cdi estate. The torque makes motorway driving effortless. 80mph is 2000rpm. The acceleration makes pulling out no problem, safe, and relaxing - as does the 80litre tank.
Are there any issues with the V6? Swirl flaps? Blend motors?

Totally agree on the capability of a 211 though. As a car to just get on with a journey they're fabulous.
They can break the inlet manifold flaps, and while our car had a new manifold part paid for by MB there’s a £100 repair kit (non-MB obviously) now available. The inlet port motors go too. The oil cooler that lives at the centre of the vee leaks, and while the part is about £11, there’s £150 worth of other seals etc. necessary to dig down to it, and just about everything above the cooler - manifold, turbo etc. - needs to come out meaning quite a bit of labour. I think our 143k mike E320 has just started to leak, with no other explanation for the trail of oil appearing low down at the rear of the engine; the oil escapes to here from high up via a drain passage apparently.
I’m no 211 beard. I just enjoy it and once a year an nice chap from MBZ takes it away for a day and brings it back serviced with a new MOT.

Stegel

1,298 posts

121 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
nobrakes said:
Stegel said:
Krikkit said:
nobrakes said:
I’ve a W211 320cdi estate. The torque makes motorway driving effortless. 80mph is 2000rpm. The acceleration makes pulling out no problem, safe, and relaxing - as does the 80litre tank.
Are there any issues with the V6? Swirl flaps? Blend motors?

Totally agree on the capability of a 211 though. As a car to just get on with a journey they're fabulous.
They can break the inlet manifold flaps, and while our car had a new manifold part paid for by MB there’s a £100 repair kit (non-MB obviously) now available. The inlet port motors go too. The oil cooler that lives at the centre of the vee leaks, and while the part is about £11, there’s £150 worth of other seals etc. necessary to dig down to it, and just about everything above the cooler - manifold, turbo etc. - needs to come out meaning quite a bit of labour. I think our 143k mike E320 has just started to leak, with no other explanation for the trail of oil appearing low down at the rear of the engine; the oil escapes to here from high up via a drain passage apparently.
I’m no 211 beard. I just enjoy it and once a year an nice chap from MBZ takes it away for a day and brings it back serviced with a new MOT.
Oh, I’m most certainly a fan, I think they’re a great car. Having taken 2 of these engines (and a younger upstart) to a combined total of over 250k miles I’ve just encountered a few of their characteristic issues.

BrownBottle

1,255 posts

83 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
Hi all, serial thread lurker here. An old merc came up for sale on my Facebook feed, not really my thing but I thought some here might like it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WESTLOTHIANCARS/pe...

It's a group I joined not sure how that works with regard to viewing it here, hopefully the link works.

Macron

3,932 posts

113 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
Not sure you can contract out of the sale of goods act as this dirty seller would like, but they drop the price of this 4.7 Cherokee from 2.5 to 2k with regularity.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2019...

RicksAlfas

10,129 posts

191 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
Macron said:
Not sure you can contract out of the sale of goods act as this dirty seller would like, but they drop the price of this 4.7 Cherokee from 2.5 to 2k with regularity.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2019...
High Output engine too, but those wheels are horrific! eek

E65Ross

23,502 posts

159 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
I wonder how long until W216 CLs drop into thread, without being too much of a shed.

I wouldn't mind a CL500....reckon you can get a half decent one for £7-8k scratchchin

1Rb

220 posts

102 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
E65Ross said:
I wonder how long until W216 CLs drop into thread, without being too much of a shed.

I wouldn't mind a CL500....reckon you can get a half decent one for £7-8k scratchchin
I'm in the same boat too. I've seen ropey high milers drop into thread territory but you're right anything you'd want to own starts at about £7k. AMG kitted low milers at about £10k-12k, the coveted 4.7 at about £16k.

They seem to be hitting the sweet spot age wise where they've shed most of their value but aren't so old that you'll be forever replacing bits.

E65Ross

23,502 posts

159 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
1Rb said:
E65Ross said:
I wonder how long until W216 CLs drop into thread, without being too much of a shed.

I wouldn't mind a CL500....reckon you can get a half decent one for £7-8k scratchchin
I'm in the same boat too. I've seen ropey high milers drop into thread territory but you're right anything you'd want to own starts at about £7k. AMG kitted low milers at about £10k-12k, the coveted 4.7 at about £16k.

They seem to be hitting the sweet spot age wise where they've shed most of their value but aren't so old that you'll be forever replacing bits.
Coveted 4.7? I thought it was just the 5.5 V8 or the V12? Or thr AMG models of course. I've only been in a CL63 before, it was certainly a nice place to be.

bolidemichael

1,428 posts

148 months

Thursday 17th October
quotequote all
E65Ross said:
1Rb said:
E65Ross said:
I wonder how long until W216 CLs drop into thread, without being too much of a shed.

I wouldn't mind a CL500....reckon you can get a half decent one for £7-8k scratchchin
I'm in the same boat too. I've seen ropey high milers drop into thread territory but you're right anything you'd want to own starts at about £7k. AMG kitted low milers at about £10k-12k, the coveted 4.7 at about £16k.

They seem to be hitting the sweet spot age wise where they've shed most of their value but aren't so old that you'll be forever replacing bits.
Coveted 4.7? I thought it was just the 5.5 V8 or the V12? Or thr AMG models of course. I've only been in a CL63 before, it was certainly a nice place to be.
I would love a V12 CL600 W216. One of the best looking Mercs of the last two decades.

1Rb

220 posts

102 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
E65Ross said:
1Rb said:
E65Ross said:
I wonder how long until W216 CLs drop into thread, without being too much of a shed.

I wouldn't mind a CL500....reckon you can get a half decent one for £7-8k scratchchin
I'm in the same boat too. I've seen ropey high milers drop into thread territory but you're right anything you'd want to own starts at about £7k. AMG kitted low milers at about £10k-12k, the coveted 4.7 at about £16k.

They seem to be hitting the sweet spot age wise where they've shed most of their value but aren't so old that you'll be forever replacing bits.
Coveted 4.7? I thought it was just the 5.5 V8 or the V12? Or thr AMG models of course. I've only been in a CL63 before, it was certainly a nice place to be.
MB introduced this along with the facelift in c 2010:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz...



ShyTallKnight

1,523 posts

160 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
Macron said:
Not sure you can contract out of the sale of goods act as this dirty seller would like, but they drop the price of this 4.7 Cherokee from 2.5 to 2k with regularity.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2019...
Its a form of dutch auction apparently and the guy who runs it also has the youtube channel Calvins car diary which has some pretty good content.

21st Century Man

31,876 posts

195 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
Century fuel consumption.

Just knocking about locally and commuting it's working out at 15.8 mpg. I've got a long run coming up soon on a week away, I'm going to have a steady cruise on the outbound and drive it hard (limiter excepted) on the return, so will see what the best and worst looks like.

Macron

3,932 posts

113 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
ShyTallKnight said:
Macron said:
Not sure you can contract out of the sale of goods act as this dirty seller would like, but they drop the price of this 4.7 Cherokee from 2.5 to 2k with regularity.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2019...
Its a form of dutch auction apparently and the guy who runs it also has the youtube channel Calvins car diary which has some pretty good content.
And in every case you are required to sign to say it's a trade sale so there's no comeback, despite obvious trading. No amount of good youtube content can get away from that coming across as dirty.

I've been watching that car for a while, and basically the site is aimed at tempting you to "bid", which means "buy" with no come back. They "price check" at regular intervals and sometimes, but not always, the price drops. You can go and see the car, you can pay them to test drive it (!!!!!!) and then of course, over to you to bid/ buy/ apparently deal with a trader but on a non-trade basis.

TBH at £2k then gash (sellable) alloys aside, I can't see how that one would be worse than anything you'd buy privately, even though you wouldn't be buying privately.

But I'd consider it an exception given the sales model.

vo175

3 posts

11 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
Hi all, I'm new here and wanted to seek your informed opinion.

I am looking for a barge-y runaround on a budget. Came across this low milage Laguna V6 that seems to be a lot of car for the asking price. Thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...

SpeckledJim

20,004 posts

200 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
vo175 said:
Hi all, I'm new here and wanted to seek your informed opinion.

I am looking for a barge-y runaround on a budget. Came across this low milage Laguna V6 that seems to be a lot of car for the asking price. Thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Looks a decent choice to me at a grand. The third Laguna was much better than the second one. Not that the market noticed, hence the good value on that one.

Be ready to put it in the bin though. There are plenty of ways that can kill itself.

Macron

3,932 posts

113 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
vo175 said:
Hi all, I'm new here and wanted to seek your informed opinion.

I am looking for a barge-y runaround on a budget. Came across this low milage Laguna V6 that seems to be a lot of car for the asking price. Thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Looks a decent choice to me at a grand. The third Laguna was much better than the second one. Not that the market noticed, hence the good value on that one.

Be ready to put it in the bin though. There are plenty of ways that can kill itself.
Nice colour combo. Would budget for a cambelt and water pump near regardless (£150 the pair parts only until magic 50% off at ECP), and for electrics to do odd things.

The tax reads £325 so it should be pre Mar 23 06, but worth checking to not pay >50% of the purchase price just to drive away.

They don't stay for sale for long though, if you can get to see if I would do so.

Etypephil

686 posts

25 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
Macron said:
ShyTallKnight said:
Macron said:
Not sure you can contract out of the sale of goods act as this dirty seller would like, but they drop the price of this 4.7 Cherokee from 2.5 to 2k with regularity.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2019...
Its a form of dutch auction apparently and the guy who runs it also has the youtube channel Calvins car diary which has some pretty good content.
And in every case you are required to sign to say it's a trade sale so there's no comeback, despite obvious trading. No amount of good youtube content can get away from that coming across as dirty.

I've been watching that car for a while, and basically the site is aimed at tempting you to "bid", which means "buy" with no come back. They "price check" at regular intervals and sometimes, but not always, the price drops. You can go and see the car, you can pay them to test drive it (!!!!!!) and then of course, over to you to bid/ buy/ apparently deal with a trader but on a non-trade basis.

TBH at £2k then gash (sellable) alloys aside, I can't see how that one would be worse than anything you'd buy privately, even though you wouldn't be buying privately.

But I'd consider it an exception given the sales model.
It's worse than that, they demand that one sings to agree to their terms; presumably they record everyone as evidence in case of Trading Standards investigation.

"We are not a retail car sales, all of our vehicles are sold on trade to trade auction terms and everyone who purchases one of our cars will be singing to agree that they are in the motor trade or have sufficient knowledge of the vehicle to buy it on trade terms."


SpeckledJim

20,004 posts

200 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
I honestly don't see the problem with this sort of thing.

If the seller is up-front about their attitude, the car is cheap, and you're happy to take responsibility for whatever is wrong with it, then buy it.

If not, then don't.



It's if the seller wants to pretend they're Mr Customer Service before the sale before turning into Mr Hyde afterwards that's more of a potential problem.



CharlesdeGaulle

11,031 posts

127 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
Macron said:
SpeckledJim said:
vo175 said:
Hi all, I'm new here and wanted to seek your informed opinion.

I am looking for a barge-y runaround on a budget. Came across this low milage Laguna V6 that seems to be a lot of car for the asking price. Thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Looks a decent choice to me at a grand. The third Laguna was much better than the second one. Not that the market noticed, hence the good value on that one.

Be ready to put it in the bin though. There are plenty of ways that can kill itself.
Nice colour combo. Would budget for a cambelt and water pump near regardless (£150 the pair parts only until magic 50% off at ECP), and for electrics to do odd things.

The tax reads £325 so it should be pre Mar 23 06, but worth checking to not pay >50% of the purchase price just to drive away.

They don't stay for sale for long though, if you can get to see if I would do so.
Car looks OK to me, but I defy anyone to accurately describe the seat colour:



SpeckledJim

20,004 posts

200 months

Friday 18th October
quotequote all
Drowning Victim (nappa)


TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED