Wife and daughter need to get to Yorkshire - Simple?

Wife and daughter need to get to Yorkshire - Simple?

Author
Discussion

dave-the-diver

Original Poster:

212 posts

127 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
I cant believe this is as tricky as it seems to be.

Wife and daughter(s) need to travel from North London to Yorkshire. I will be joining them later, but can't share the driving on the way up.

Wife is not used to driving long distances, so thought I would get elder daughter (23, clean license for 6 years) added to my policy (wife already named driver) for a week or so, then they can take the Cayenne (3.0d) and share the driving.

Adrian Flux say it cant be done.

None of the short term "tempcover" type insurers can offer cover.

Cant find a car hire company that will deliver a decent spec car that both my daughter and wife can drive.

Buying my daughter something more comfy (but still insurable) than her current Mini 1 just for this trip cant be the best option.

No buses, trains etc.

Is there really no way of getting a 23 year old insured on a 3.0 diesel?

David

Krikkit

15,064 posts

122 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Why aren't there any trains? Are you going somewhere bizarre?

designforlife

2,579 posts

104 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
train to Sheffield from London is dead easy, and quite cheap if you book in advance on trainline or similar.

BenjiS

454 posts

32 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
What’s wrong with the Mini? It’s only a couple of hundred miles, it’s not like they’re driving across Europe.

SpeckledJim

18,339 posts

194 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
dave-the-diver said:
I cant believe this is as tricky as it seems to be.

Wife and daughter(s) need to travel from North London to Yorkshire. I will be joining them later, but can't share the driving on the way up.

Wife is not used to driving long distances, so thought I would get elder daughter (23, clean license for 6 years) added to my policy (wife already named driver) for a week or so, then they can take the Cayenne (3.0d) and share the driving.

Adrian Flux say it cant be done.

None of the short term "tempcover" type insurers can offer cover.

Cant find a car hire company that will deliver a decent spec car that both my daughter and wife can drive.

Buying my daughter something more comfy (but still insurable) than her current Mini 1 just for this trip cant be the best option.

No buses, trains etc.

Is there really no way of getting a 23 year old insured on a 3.0 diesel?

David
Really? Do you mean you can't find someone who'll rent your daughter a 7 Series, or you can't find someone who'll rent your daughter an Astra?


Advertisement

Ares

8,484 posts

61 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
3rd party cover from daughter's MINI?

...or break the journey up for the wife so it is three 60-90 min journeys? Take the whole day to do it?



shirt

18,873 posts

142 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
either add the daughter to the policy for the remainder of the term [not just short term] or take the mini.

you're creating an issue where there isn't one. london to yorkshire is not at all a long distance, take the a1 your wife will find it dead easy.

Mr Pointy

3,426 posts

100 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
What's the issue? She can't be added or can't be added for a couple of weeks?

Haltamer

908 posts

21 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Done London to Yorkshire in a day quite easily in the past?

I also don't see the trouble with using the Mini; would do the trick unless they're towing a caravan with them:- That being said; Try the Cuvva app; I imagine your daughter could get cover there.

I managed to get cover for a 159 2.0 Turbo Diesel at 18, so should be doable at 23.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

21,954 posts

176 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
BenjiS said:
What’s wrong with the Mini? It’s only a couple of hundred miles, it’s not like they’re driving across Europe.
That's what I was going to say.

cuprabob

7,553 posts

155 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Just charter them a helicopter, Job done smile


Bill

38,922 posts

196 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
BenjiS said:
What’s wrong with the Mini? It’s only a couple of hundred miles, it’s not like they’re driving across Europe.
yes

Or break the journey up. There's two of them so a break at some shops etc isn't too onerous.

Or train.

Or plane.

AndyB180

285 posts

82 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Really?
Anywhere in England isnt far to drive in reality. I have regularly driven from yorkshire to Southampton in a crappy peugeot 308 and its a doddle. A mini one would be no problem and if your wife can't manage it in a Porsche she needs to give her head a shake.

Butter Face

18,447 posts

101 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
dave-the-diver said:
Cant find a car hire company that will deliver a decent spec car that both my daughter and wife can drive.

No buses, trains etc.

'decent spec'? Surely if it has wheels it will suffice a short (relatively) drive up the country?

Why no buses or trains? Get on a train and be done.

Croutons

3,256 posts

107 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
dave-the-diver said:
I cant believe this is as tricky as it seems to be.

Wife and daughter(s) need to travel from North London to Yorkshire. I will be joining them later, but can't share the driving on the way up.

Wife is not used to driving long distances, so thought I would get elder daughter (23, clean license for 6 years) added to my policy (wife already named driver) for a week or so, then they can take the Cayenne (3.0d) and share the driving.

Adrian Flux say it cant be done.

None of the short term "tempcover" type insurers can offer cover.

Cant find a car hire company that will deliver a decent spec car that both my daughter and wife can drive.

Buying my daughter something more comfy (but still insurable) than her current Mini 1 just for this trip cant be the best option.

No buses, trains etc.

Is there really no way of getting a 23 year old insured on a 3.0 diesel?

David
We’ve hit peak first world problems here people.


Feirny

1,626 posts

88 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Yorkshire is massive, London to Doncaster/Leeds is very simple, but London to say Whitby, or Skipton is a little more complex.

carinaman

13,403 posts

113 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Would the MINI benefit from a long run?

shirt

18,873 posts

142 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Haltamer said:
Done London to Yorkshire in a day quite easily in the past
a day? what were you driving, a moped?

Butter Face

18,447 posts

101 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Feirny said:
Yorkshire is massive, London to Doncaster/Leeds is very simple, but London to say Whitby, or Skipton is a little more complex.
London (Kings Cross) - Whitby
4h 51m by train, 2 changes.

London (Kings Cross) - Skipton
3h 40m by train, 1 change.

Actually, get your skates on, there's a train leaving KC to skipton, 3h 16m, no changes, leaves at 18:03!

Tomo1971

805 posts

98 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
The PH answer is to get another wife.

Other than that, wife will probably find it harder and slower to get out of that there London than get to Yorkshire once on the A1

Once on A1, just head North and get off at the relevant junction,If she cant cope with that, she shouldn't have a licence.