Latest Audi and BMW badging WTF?

Latest Audi and BMW badging WTF?

Author
Discussion

Notanotherturbo

Original Poster:

330 posts

151 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Could anybody explain how the new badging works? I sort of get the BMW effort with the higher output smaller engine being badged as the engine it replaced, is it is simple as that? The Audi makes no sense to me at all I'm afraid. Bigger number more power but that's as much as I can figure. Can't they just put the engine size on the back and make it an I or an S of an R or something?

craigjm

9,770 posts

144 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/3742/what-do-audis-n...

it is the most confusing of all the new badging but BMW, MB and JLR are all up to it. I guess its to hide the fact that virtually everything is 2.0 4 pots or smaller these days so trying to get people to focus on power rather than size

oop north

927 posts

72 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
I think it’s more to do with EVs coming in - you need something that can fit across petrol and diesel and EV and hybrid (and, yes, I agree smaller engines).

But the Audi “system” is just awful

nobrakes

1,255 posts

142 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Are Audi and VW going to roll this out across their whole range of marques?

RobM77

32,612 posts

178 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
I can understand linking model designation to power, Vauxhall started doing this years ago, and Caterham have used power to weight rati for decades. However, Audi’s system doesn’t seem to have any mathematical relationship between the designation and the power! That’s just odd.

For example:

25 is 80kW and under (up to 106hp)
30 is 81kW to 91kW (107hp to 127hp)
etc

Why?!

Sheepshanks

17,677 posts

63 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
RobM77 said:
For example:

25 is 80kW and under (up to 106hp)
30 is 81kW to 91kW (107hp to 127hp)
etc

Why?!
It's so people can have very ordinary engines but have a 30 badge, which 95% of people will think means it's 3 litre. I said on one of the other million threads about this that I bet there are people choosing Audis as company cars entirely because of the number on the back.

Meridius

1,212 posts

96 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
I dont mind it really and a few years down the line it will be normal to you.

EDLT

15,184 posts

150 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
So it's a modern version of L, LX, GLX etc. badging? There must be a few photocopier salesmen having sleepless nights at the moment.

Gojira

400 posts

67 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
It's so people can have very ordinary engines but have a 30 badge, which 95% of people will think means it's 3 litre. I said on one of the other million threads about this that I bet there are people choosing Audis as company cars entirely because of the number on the back.
That's exactly why I ticked the "Powertrain debadge" option for my XE laugh

Some of the modern Jag nerds would recognise a 30T badge on an XE being a 2-litre, 300PS petrol, but explaining to everyone else that it isn't a 3-litre would get very old, very fast...

Far better to be able to surprise folks who assume because there's no badge it is from the economy end of the power range yes

craigjm

9,770 posts

144 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
EDLT said:
So it's a modern version of L, LX, GLX etc. badging? There must be a few photocopier salesmen having sleepless nights at the moment.
No because it has nothing to do with the trim level

powerstroke

8,436 posts

104 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
RobM77 said:
I can understand linking model designation to power, Vauxhall started doing this years ago, and Caterham have used power to weight rati for decades. However, Audi’s system doesn’t seem to have any mathematical relationship between the designation and the power! That’s just odd.

For example:

25 is 80kW and under (up to 106hp)
30 is 81kW to 91kW (107hp to 127hp)
etc

Why?!
Perhaps it is the number of miles x10 they will do on a litre of oil ......

can't remember

682 posts

72 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
It's so people can have very ordinary engines but have a 30 badge, which 95% of people will think means it's 3 litre. I said on one of the other million threads about this that I bet there are people choosing Audis as company cars entirely because of the number on the back.
I let a rather attractive nurse in a S-line A3 out at a junction on Friday. I was very impressed that she had chosen a 3Ltr until I noticed the single exhaust pipe. A dead give-away as a 3ltr Audi would have at least 4 drain pipe sized exhaust trims.

Wills2

15,808 posts

119 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Notanotherturbo said:
Could anybody explain how the new badging works? I sort of get the BMW effort with the higher output smaller engine being badged as the engine it replaced, is it is simple as that?
The badge on the back of a BMW hasn't always been a direct reflection of the engine capacity, this isn't "new" news.


WJNB

1,895 posts

105 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
EDLT said:
So it's a modern version of L, LX, GLX etc. badging? There must be a few photocopier salesmen having sleepless nights at the moment.
Nah - they just went to a dealer ( pre-Ebay Google Amazon) & bought the up-grade badge. I put a GLS badge on my base company Avenger once just to wind up my colleagues who had all been issued with the same model of car. (It might have been a GL on an L - 'twas a long time ago) None were bright enough to differentiate twixt the visual differences of the trim levels yet they all got agitated & envious. When I revealed my actions which of course they rightly considered immature they in turn looked silly for making so much fuss.
Even my boss looked a tt because he got irritated as well being an awful car snob & so very proud to have been issued with a 2L Cortina De-Luxe & always anxious to maintain a substantial motoring gap between himself & his staff.
Unknown to them all I had already got a much better job lined up so couldn't care a toss about them or my image.
Hopefully I HAVE grown up since ..........hopefully !


Notanotherturbo

Original Poster:

330 posts

151 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Wills2 said:
The badge on the back of a BMW hasn't always been a direct reflection of the engine capacity, this isn't "new" news.

It was for donkeys years except for the odd exception like the E28 525E. It's only in recent years this has changed, and to be fair it was always close smile

Shiv_P

2,005 posts

49 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Notanotherturbo said:
Wills2 said:
The badge on the back of a BMW hasn't always been a direct reflection of the engine capacity, this isn't "new" news.

It was for donkeys years except for the odd exception like the E28 525E. It's only in recent years this has changed, and to be fair it was always close smile
It's not really close at all.

bluezedd

262 posts

26 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
audi's new badging reminds me of top trumps.

Car-Matt

1,923 posts

82 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Notanotherturbo said:
Wills2 said:
The badge on the back of a BMW hasn't always been a direct reflection of the engine capacity, this isn't "new" news.

It was for donkeys years except for the odd exception like the E28 525E. It's only in recent years this has changed, and to be fair it was always close smile
Er, nope, 316 and 325 e30 are immediate examples that spring to mind. Its what you 'thought' but wasn't actually true

RobDickinson

26,672 posts

198 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Engine capacity has been a pretty pointless measure for a while and will be more so in the future

Rozzers

300 posts

19 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
I dont understand the Audi one other than the higher the number the higher the output, but 30, 40 or 50 makes no sense.

From some recent lease looking, I understand the Volvo system:

T4 - 2.0 4 cylinder turbo.
D4 - 2.0 4 cylinder turbo.
T5 - 2.0 4 cylinder turbo.
T6 - 2.0 4 cylinder turbo.
D5 - 2.0 4 cylinder turbo.
T8 - 2.0 4 cylinder turbo.

No doubt there more.....