RE: Ford Focus ST | Spotted

RE: Ford Focus ST | Spotted

Author
Discussion

thebigmacmoomin

2,195 posts

114 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
MissChief said:
I really thought long and hard about one of these prior to picking up a Mk 3 Zetec S 182. I'd heard many good things (noise, power) and many bad things (said cylinder liners, thirst) and while I have no doubt my 182 sounds worse it does do 38-40MPG to a tankful compared to what would likely be 30MPG maximum and it is newer and likely more refined as well. I do still look at them though!
I get 20 mpg around town and had nearly 35 mpg on a long motorway run.

thebigmacmoomin

2,195 posts

114 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Leins said:
Good cars, great engine, awful driving position for my frame. Is there a way to easily lower those seats?
That's the only fault I have with mine, I want to sit a bit lower down. Not sure if there would be a way to sit lower using the standard Recaro's,, aftermarket seats maybe the only option.

Drive Blind

3,216 posts

122 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
KingNothing said:
Advert is full of unnecessary waffle.
agree
I hate adverts like this but they always give you a laugh

the classic 'I took it to [insert garage here] and they said its the best one they've ever seen!'

Leicester Loyal

1,245 posts

67 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Nice cars and very tunable, but 7.5k for one seems ridiculous.

blueST

3,099 posts

161 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Best car I ever owned, I wish I'd never sold it. Bought in brand new in '06 and it never missed a beat in 65,000 miles, had some great trips to Italy, South of France, Nurburgring and 5 or 6 to Le Mans. I had a very mild re-map once it was out of warranty which made a huge difference to the torque. Only down side was tragic fuel consumption.

jase_llan

8 posts

2 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
thebigmacmoomin said:
That's the only fault I have with mine, I want to sit a bit lower down. Not sure if there would be a way to sit lower using the standard Recaro's,, aftermarket seats maybe the only option.
The MK6 Fiesta ST has the same problem, aftermarket is the way to go - you can get a seat with similar comfort and a much better seating position but make sure you try them first!

njw1

961 posts

56 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Ultrafunkula said:
The facelift in a more boring colour is a lot less chavvy, they look almost like a non ST Focus.


There's a silver de-badged one around this way, it's only when you're close enough to see the twin tail pipes you realise it's an ST.

768

4,933 posts

41 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Leicester Loyal said:
Nice cars and very tunable, but 7.5k for one seems ridiculous.
It does. I've a feeling these might appreciate in time though.

Escort Si-130

2,348 posts

125 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
MyV10goesWhaaa said:
rossub said:
These have taken over from the Impreza as the Chav chariot of choice I'm afraid.
So..... ??? Are you a chav ? Is this just exclusively for you now or something..

This site is full of weirdos.... Insecure weirdos.. lol




Edited by MyV10goesWhaaa on Wednesday 11th September 12:17
I agree he probably is covered in head to toe with tattoo's, wears track suits and lives on take aways.

Chrispee

4 posts

8 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Shame these never came with cruise control as would make a decent mile muncher for my dual carriageway commute (aside from the economy)

Had this engine in a S-Max for a while and that was good fun

urquattroGus

1,078 posts

135 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Loved mine, first car I ever had from new, a 2008 facelift ST2 in frozen white.

It was a great car, switched to a Frozen White MK2 RS afterwards (yes I'm actually from Essex)

The ST was most of the car the RS was, the RS handled amazingly and and looked hard as nails but ST was a nice package too. When I sold the ST after 3 years the paint was flaking off the TC button, used to turn it off every time I got in as the chassis was so friendly and the TC was a bit over zealous and seemed to get in the way.

What made me laugh was the fact that MY RS, even with the Mountune MP350 pack on it got much better fuel consumption that the ST, both were thrashed daily!


MissChief

5,112 posts

113 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
MissChief said:
I really thought long and hard about one of these prior to picking up a Mk 3 Zetec S 182. I'd heard many good things (noise, power) and many bad things (said cylinder liners, thirst) and while I have no doubt my 182 sounds worse it does do 38-40MPG to a tankful compared to what would likely be 30MPG maximum and it is newer and likely more refined as well. I do still look at them though!
What you need to do it tune your 182, iirc its the same engine as the Fiesta ST Mk7 so all the same mods apply and its tough as old boots.
It more or less is, but doesn't come with the overboost that the Fiesta has. Not sure if all the other bits are the same or not.

MissChief

5,112 posts

113 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
jase_llan said:
thebigmacmoomin said:
That's the only fault I have with mine, I want to sit a bit lower down. Not sure if there would be a way to sit lower using the standard Recaro's,, aftermarket seats maybe the only option.
The MK6 Fiesta ST has the same problem, aftermarket is the way to go - you can get a seat with similar comfort and a much better seating position but make sure you try them first!
I'm 100% positive someone posted an aftermarket solution in the Focus RS Spotted or Ph heroes piece a couple of weeks ago to lower the seats.

And I've found it. Not cheap mind you. https://www.jcr-developments.com/ford/product-cate...

Mark-3srds

1 posts

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
I've had a lot of upset, heartache and dam good times with this car... But its left a bad taste in my mouth with the costs involved. Just unlucky? But from what I've heard these engines are failing a lot now.
I had a RS C5 before this ST, so down graded (some might say I'm crazy?!) but the RS was so much worry and maybe I couldn't afford it as you need big pockets. But after all said and done the ST has cost me way more and I'm totally not interested in Fords now. The price isn't set in stone, But there are traders out there trying to get more money for lower miles examples. I've got a car that ticks every box and surely is way better than a forecourt car?
Many thanks Piston Heads for 'Spotting' it and the write up is spot on!!!

howardhughes

330 posts

149 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
'I've got house improvements to do also (keep the Mrs happy?)'

All the bullstters use this line. Swallow your pride sir.


stickleback123

4,972 posts

134 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
A great engine but not as much fun as the high pressure turbo 'proper' T5 from the S60/V70. Personally I'd rather have one of it's more interesting looking and more nicely trimmed cousins; a Volvo C30, V40, or S40. You can get cruise control and a decent stereo then too.


cerb4.5lee

12,329 posts

125 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
A great engine but not as much fun as the high pressure turbo 'proper' T5 from the S60/V70.
How similar is this engine to the 2.3 turbo 5 cylinder in the Volvo C70 T5? My brother in law had a C70 T5 and I loved the engine in that. I presume that the engine in this offers a similar experience.

stickleback123

4,972 posts

134 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
stickleback123 said:
A great engine but not as much fun as the high pressure turbo 'proper' T5 from the S60/V70.
How similar is this engine to the 2.3 turbo 5 cylinder in the Volvo C70 T5? My brother in law had a C70 T5 and I loved the engine in that. I presume that the engine in this offers a similar experience.
The 2.3 and 2.4 T5s were high pressure turbos of the old school, so soft off the line and really coming on song from 3000rpm+. Lots of fun. These LPT engines that they badged as T5 have teeny tiny little turbos and very flat, broad torque curves but die off more at the top end. The LPTs are, sensibly speaking, better for everyday driving but they lack the drama of the HPT ones.

The 2.3 T5 coming aggressively on boost in a floppy Mk1 C70 cabriolet was always a hoot. You can remap the LPT ones up to 250bhp+ but the power delivery is never as top end focussed as a GPT. The 2.3 and 2.4 engines are also tougher than the 2.5, hence the cracking liner problems with modified 2.5s.

cerb4.5lee

12,329 posts

125 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
cerb4.5lee said:
stickleback123 said:
A great engine but not as much fun as the high pressure turbo 'proper' T5 from the S60/V70.
How similar is this engine to the 2.3 turbo 5 cylinder in the Volvo C70 T5? My brother in law had a C70 T5 and I loved the engine in that. I presume that the engine in this offers a similar experience.
The 2.3 and 2.4 T5s were high pressure turbos of the old school, so soft off the line and really coming on song from 3000rpm+. Lots of fun. These LPT engines that they badged as T5 have teeny tiny little turbos and very flat, broad torque curves but die off more at the top end. The LPTs are, sensibly speaking, better for everyday driving but they lack the drama of the HPT ones.

The 2.3 T5 coming aggressively on boost in a floppy Mk1 C70 cabriolet was always a hoot. You can remap the LPT ones up to 250bhp+ but the power delivery is never as top end focussed as a GPT. The 2.3 and 2.4 engines are also tougher than the 2.5, hence the cracking liner problems with modified 2.5s.
Thanks very much for that. thumbup

rossub

Original Poster:

2,250 posts

135 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Escort Si-130 said:
MyV10goesWhaaa said:
rossub said:
These have taken over from the Impreza as the Chav chariot of choice I'm afraid.
So..... ??? Are you a chav ? Is this just exclusively for you now or something..

This site is full of weirdos.... Insecure weirdos.. lol




Edited by MyV10goesWhaaa on Wednesday 11th September 12:17
I agree he probably is covered in head to toe with tattoo's, wears track suits and lives on take aways.
If I did, I'd also own a Focus ST hehe