Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 15]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 15]

Author
Discussion

stickleback123

5,268 posts

137 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
But it's only a two minute job to have a quick wipe around the scuttle and slam panel and pull any leaves out of the drains, so why not? We're not talking a two day "detail". biggrin
I do remove leaves from the scuttle and clear the drains. I even have a special brush thing for clearing out drains!

TyrannosauRoss Lex

23,635 posts

160 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
RicksAlfas said:
But it's only a two minute job to have a quick wipe around the scuttle and slam panel and pull any leaves out of the drains, so why not? We're not talking a two day "detail". biggrin
I do remove leaves from the scuttle and clear the drains. I even have a special brush thing for clearing out drains!
Have you got a link for that? Wouldn't mind having a look.

RicksAlfas

10,160 posts

192 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Length of network cable is the thing to use apparently. (Page or so back).

Speed addicted

3,964 posts

175 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
Slow said:
Can’t say I have ever cleaned under the bonnet. I don’t see the point? Unless you sit at car shows with it open it is pointless imo.
But it's only a two minute job to have a quick wipe around the scuttle and slam panel and pull any leaves out of the drains, so why not? We're not talking a two day "detail". biggrin
Do you wash the rest of the car? It’ll only get dirty again, it’s almost as pointless.
I clean under the bonnet, in the door shuts etc because I’d prefer it to be clean and it annoys me when it’s not.
You also notice things like leaks more easily if you’re looking more often and know that it was clean last week.

You should see how much cleaning my motorbikes get after a big tour, when you do 3k high speed miles in a week they come back looking like they’ve been jet washed with flies and brake dust!


AutoZiele

6 posts

1 month

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Ice on the inside of my windscreen this morning has expedited the need to get a barge with maximum toys sorted ASAP.

RicksAlfas

10,160 posts

192 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
AutoZiele said:
Ice on the inside of my windscreen this morning has expedited the need to get a barge with maximum toys sorted ASAP.
A barge will just have bigger windows to ice up!
Check your scuttle drains and pollen filter. You’ve got damp inside the car somehow.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

23,635 posts

160 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
When cleaning the car I do generally clean the sills, boot and bonnet shuts etc. I did keep the engine bay pretty clean on the E65 but I had more space (and time) for detailing. I will keep the Lexus clean when I can for sure smile

Easternlight

2,406 posts

92 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Cheap winter hack. Pretty tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...


Edit for better discription,lazy spilling

Edited by Easternlight on Tuesday 19th November 19:52

wjwren

2,793 posts

83 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Seems a cheap motor. Ive never liked the build quality on these things. Ive got several mates that work at JLR and they all think they are crap cars. As crap as they are id still be tempted by a proper RR. £5k buys a nice one.

CharlesdeGaulle

11,079 posts

128 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Easternlight said:
Cheep winter hack. A bit tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...
I bet that looks even tattier in the metal than it does in the pics. Very cheap though.

Speed addicted

3,964 posts

175 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Easternlight said:
Cheep winter hack. A bit tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...
It’s got the missing parking sensor/dented boot combo, the bmw 4.4 that had loads of issues, untested electrics etc. What’s not to like!

I looked at this shape of RR when they were still 20k, every one I looked at had something wrong with it!
Lovely things to drive, super comfy with a real feeling of class. Shame they were built so badly thatI just didn’t have the bottle.

AutoZiele

6 posts

1 month

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
AutoZiele said:
Ice on the inside of my windscreen this morning has expedited the need to get a barge with maximum toys sorted ASAP.
A barge will just have bigger windows to ice up!
Check your scuttle drains and pollen filter. You’ve got damp inside the car somehow.
Cheers, I'll check them out!

There's something scruffily honest about that RR that I like, not for but a nice old thing.

rich12

1,893 posts

102 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Speed addicted said:
It’s got the missing parking sensor/dented boot combo, the bmw 4.4 that had loads of issues, untested electrics etc. What’s not to like!

I looked at this shape of RR when they were still 20k, every one I looked at had something wrong with it!
Lovely things to drive, super comfy with a real feeling of class. Shame they were built so badly thatI just didn’t have the bottle.
I've had over 5 of these (early ones) and they have all been a proper piece of st but bought cheap so not too bad.
If you want a cheap range rover you need to get a face lift with the jag V8.

Best things in the world when they work but 95% of the time they don't so overall they should only be bought at breaking value at most.

Etypephil

724 posts

26 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
Easternlight said:
Cheep winter hack. A bit tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...
I bet that looks even tattier in the metal than it does in the pics. Very cheap though.
I'll let you know later; it's only 15 miles away, so will call and hopefully take a look.

In the meantime, any pointers regarding checks of the known problems from RR experts would be welcome.

olly755

2,424 posts

110 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Easternlight said:
Cheap winter hack. Pretty tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...


Edit for better discription,lazy spilling

[footnote]Edited by Easternlight on Tuesday 19th November

I 19:52[/footnote]
I love the idea, but would hate the reality.

CharlesdeGaulle

11,079 posts

128 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Etypephil said:
CharlesdeGaulle said:
Easternlight said:
Cheep winter hack. A bit tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...
I bet that looks even tattier in the metal than it does in the pics. Very cheap though.
I'll let you know later; it's only 15 miles away, so will call and hopefully take a look.

In the meantime, any pointers regarding checks of the known problems from RR experts would be welcome.
Good man, that's the spirit.

rich12

1,893 posts

102 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Etypephil said:
I'll let you know later; it's only 15 miles away, so will call and hopefully take a look.

In the meantime, any pointers regarding checks of the known problems from RR experts would be welcome.
LOL. Easier to name the things that won't break.

Air suspension leaking/inactive
All electronics work in the car
Camshaft cover gaskets
Engine smoking
Being hse, the spec isn't great
Oil leaks
Gearbox working and smooth
Cam tensioner guides been replaced?
Good service history with regular oil changes

If it seems good overall them if they'd take 1500, you can easily break it for more.

Speed addicted

3,964 posts

175 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
rich12 said:
LOL. Easier to name the things that won't break.

Air suspension leaking/inactive
All electronics work in the car
Camshaft cover gaskets
Engine smoking
Being hse, the spec isn't great
Oil leaks
Gearbox working and smooth
Cam tensioner guides been replaced?
Good service history with regular oil changes

If it seems good overall them if they'd take 1500, you can easily break it for more.
Isn’t this the one that kills front diffs due to a lack of a front cv joint?
It’s got a few dents, have a look underneath to see if it’s been off-roaded to death too.

Emeye

8,000 posts

171 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
Etypephil said:
CharlesdeGaulle said:
Easternlight said:
Cheep winter hack. A bit tatty but it's got a years ticket and the MOT history doesn't even look too bad.
£1895 or offers!
What could possibily go wrong etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Land-Rover-Range-R...
I bet that looks even tattier in the metal than it does in the pics. Very cheap though.
I'll let you know later; it's only 15 miles away, so will call and hopefully take a look.

In the meantime, any pointers regarding checks of the known problems from RR experts would be welcome.
Good man, that's the spirit.
Yes - you have made my day already.

stickleback123

5,268 posts

137 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
stickleback123 said:
RicksAlfas said:
But it's only a two minute job to have a quick wipe around the scuttle and slam panel and pull any leaves out of the drains, so why not? We're not talking a two day "detail". biggrin
I do remove leaves from the scuttle and clear the drains. I even have a special brush thing for clearing out drains!
Have you got a link for that? Wouldn't mind having a look.
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/hood-drain-cleaning-brush-models-p-3511.html

Originally bought to clean out the drain holes on a Mk1 MX5, I now use it for drain holes of all sorts.