Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 18]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 18]

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

MercedesClassic

689 posts

65 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
LetsTryAgain said:
d_a_n1979 said:
Glad you've managed to get the cars sorted and gone LTA...

As said; you know where I am if you ever decide to go down the E39 route again and want a 2nd opinion smile

So what now then, cash in hand? Any ideas; or just sit back and see what crops up? wink
Now I'll scan numerous websites until i find something which piques my interest, and then i'll send an insultingly low offer and begrudgingly raise it until they say yes!
Have you anything in particular on your shortlist or is it another E39 touring?

LetsTryAgain

2,904 posts

41 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
MercedesClassic said:
Have you anything in particular on your shortlist or is it another E39 touring?
I never have one set thing really.
I prefer BMW or Mercedes if German, no time for anything VAG.
Petrol, obviously.
Ideally RWD or 4WD but not against FWD.

Think the E39 'itch' may remain unscratched now to be honest.

MercedesClassic

689 posts

65 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
LetsTryAgain said:
MercedesClassic said:
Have you anything in particular on your shortlist or is it another E39 touring?
I never have one set thing really.
I prefer BMW or Mercedes if German, no time for anything VAG.
Petrol, obviously.
Ideally RWD or 4WD but not against FWD.

Think the E39 'itch' may remain unscratched now to be honest.
Not saying this is the 'one' but more of a pump primer. It's the cheapest facelift petrol s211 on AT. Bigger engined ones available but pricier.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/2021022594...

J_Wood3

11 posts

65 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
[quote]
Well done for biting the bullet and hopefully you'll be a regular contributor. At least three of us now own S211 E500s with the M113 (you're now one of us btw) and one owns a S211 M273 5.5L, as you likely know.

How much was this one picked up for? I don't recall having seen it advertised.
[/quote]

It’s an exclusive club.... I shall keep my shenanigans updated, should probably be a readers rides post though.

This was was advertised as £4250 with a service and MOT. I paid £4K with MOT and I’ll diy the service.
Prices are all over the place, but I don’t think they are getting much cheaper, especially as I count <100,000 miles as basically new!

J_Wood3

11 posts

65 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Glasgowrob said:
Also interested, would make a sensible alternative to reviving the omega Mv6 currently awaiting restoration
Hopefully you can message me. I’m new to actually communicating on here....

LetsTryAgain

2,904 posts

41 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
MercedesClassic said:
Not saying this is the 'one' but more of a pump primer. It's the cheapest facelift petrol s211 on AT. Bigger engined ones available but pricier.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/2021022594...
Thanks.
There's a 211 on my drive already; albeit the lowly 160 brake 1.8 Kompressor!

BlackStang5point0

1,900 posts

181 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Also went in a new (well, about 2 years old) Range Rover Evoque today. Nice enough but definitely not as comfortable as the LS460! It does go round corners a bit flatter though hehe

3 litre diesel. Anyone who says new diesel engines are refined is lying. At idle and pulling away you absolutely could feel vibrations from the engine.
They didn't put the 3 litre diesel in the Evoque.

ian316

2,566 posts

73 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
21st Century Man said:
Rare sight these days. I rather liked them as a boy.
When I first started work at 16 one of the old guys had a red one with biege velour, He used to give me a lift when he was on the same shift I think this could have started my love of comfortable cars with soft suspension rather than all the little hatchbacks my mates were getting

TyrannosauRoss Lex

27,524 posts

180 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
BlackStang5point0 said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Also went in a new (well, about 2 years old) Range Rover Evoque today. Nice enough but definitely not as comfortable as the LS460! It does go round corners a bit flatter though hehe

3 litre diesel. Anyone who says new diesel engines are refined is lying. At idle and pulling away you absolutely could feel vibrations from the engine.
They didn't put the 3 litre diesel in the Evoque.
What's the other one? Maybe it wasn't an Evoque, shows what I know hehe it definitely was a 3 litre though.

Ah - it was a Velar.

alec.e

1,785 posts

92 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
3 litre diesel. Anyone who says new diesel engines are refined is lying. At idle and pulling away you absolutely could feel vibrations from the engine.
Yes!
My neighbour has just bought PCPed a new Range Rover Sport 3.0 diesel, I was shocked at the amount on vibrations on idle!

The only diesel engine which genuinely impressed me was the 320/350 cdi in the W221 I had for a month

TyrannosauRoss Lex

27,524 posts

180 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
alec.e said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
3 litre diesel. Anyone who says new diesel engines are refined is lying. At idle and pulling away you absolutely could feel vibrations from the engine.
Yes!
My neighbour has just bought PCPed a new Range Rover Sport 3.0 diesel, I was shocked at the amount on vibrations on idle!

The only diesel engine which genuinely impressed me was the 320/350 cdi in the W221 I had for a month
Yep, the vibrations at idle were worse than my old 2005 Corolla.

Macron

6,523 posts

134 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Ah - it was a Velar.
A double bagger, ie you need a paper bag for you to make sure no one recognises you, and one for onlookers when they see the proportions.

Emeye

8,970 posts

191 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
CharlesdeGaulle said:
I was out to dinner with the new Ambassador last night and en route to the Residence stopped at my local supermarket for Ferrero Rocher*.

This mega-barge turned up as I was leaving. Unlikely to ever feature in our meagre budget but quite an impressive thing in a footballer-ish sort of way.

* sort of.

I bet that is a wonderful thing to waft about in.


???

anonymous-user

22 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Did he refuse to go sarf of the river?

CharlesdeGaulle

17,226 posts

148 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
BlackStang5point0 said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Also went in a new (well, about 2 years old) Range Rover Evoque today. Nice enough but definitely not as comfortable as the LS460! It does go round corners a bit flatter though hehe

3 litre diesel. Anyone who says new diesel engines are refined is lying. At idle and pulling away you absolutely could feel vibrations from the engine.
They didn't put the 3 litre diesel in the Evoque.
What's the other one? Maybe it wasn't an Evoque, shows what I know hehe it definitely was a 3 litre though.

Ah - it was a Velar.
I like the Velar and think it looks great. I looked at them but too expensive for me for a modern.

LetsTryAgain

2,904 posts

41 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
BlackStang5point0 said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Also went in a new (well, about 2 years old) Range Rover Evoque today. Nice enough but definitely not as comfortable as the LS460! It does go round corners a bit flatter though hehe

3 litre diesel. Anyone who says new diesel engines are refined is lying. At idle and pulling away you absolutely could feel vibrations from the engine.
They didn't put the 3 litre diesel in the Evoque.
What's the other one? Maybe it wasn't an Evoque, shows what I know hehe it definitely was a 3 litre though.

Ah - it was a Velar.
Easy enough to be mistaken. One could have been in a Discovery Sport, Range Rover Sport, Velar, F Pace, i Pace etc etc and not know the difference.

But i'm with our foreign diplomat; I would definitely have a Velar.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

27,524 posts

180 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Emeye said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
CharlesdeGaulle said:
I was out to dinner with the new Ambassador last night and en route to the Residence stopped at my local supermarket for Ferrero Rocher*.

This mega-barge turned up as I was leaving. Unlikely to ever feature in our meagre budget but quite an impressive thing in a footballer-ish sort of way.

* sort of.

I bet that is a wonderful thing to waft about in.


???
If you've seen a Cullinan up close, you'll realise they are nothing alike, unless you need a visit to Specasvers wink

Whilst Cullinan is rather ostentatious, the quality of workmanship is remarkable.

Mildlyinterestd

13 posts

9 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Out of interest, would this be considered a barge?

Would love to be part of the gang but fear I've undershot...


ferrisbueller

26,678 posts

195 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
It's like a Dulux colour chart.

BigBen

10,669 posts

198 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
If you've seen a Cullinan up close, you'll realise they are nothing alike, unless you need a visit to Specasvers wink

Whilst Cullinan is rather ostentatious, the quality of workmanship is remarkable.
Agree they look fantastic. I was annoyed to find my local parking spot I use to shorten the journey to Morrisons was taken by one of those Bentley SUVs, I imagine they are very nice to drive round in but wow no one could describe them as being lookers.
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED